|By Marketwired .||
|July 19, 2010 04:03 PM EDT||
SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 07/19/10 -- Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced that it passed a significant milestone during the second quarter of 2010, by shipping its 500 millionth Wi-Fi chipset. This milestone demonstrates Atheros' continued leadership in one of the fastest-growing segments of the semiconductor market and highlights the company's ability to scale its operations to serve multiple high volume markets. According to iSuppli, the wireless LAN (WLAN) semiconductor market quadrupled from 2003 to 2009 and will nearly triple again to reach $8.8 billion in 2014.(1) As a leading supplier of Wi-Fi® technology, Atheros is capitalizing on this tremendous growth opportunity by exceeding customers' expectations with unmatched performance, integration and innovative features.
In addition to its extraordinary growth in WLAN, Atheros has also expanded its connectivity portfolio with Bluetooth®, Ethernet, GPS, Powerline and broadband access technologies, which enable Atheros to deliver unique hybrid networking solutions that enhance and simplify the user experience. The availability of full-featured and cost-effective solutions from Atheros is helping to fuel the rapid adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, including PCs, mobile phones, networking equipment and consumer electronics products. By connecting more devices in the home and office, Atheros enables people to move content from 'there' to 'here' in a way that is simple and transparent to the user.
- Atheros has been instrumental in the evolution of Wi-Fi from a PC networking technology to one that is used in a growing number of products that keep people connected, informed and entertained. Its innovative WLAN solutions now enable a wide range of wireless devices and cutting-edge applications for consumers and enterprises.
- In the networking market: As the number of wireless devices continues to grow, so does demand for powerful network infrastructure. Atheros' 802.11n chipsets are among the most widely adopted solutions for retail networking equipment, residential gateways and enterprise networking systems. They provide robust performance and reliable coverage to support additional wireless users and more demanding applications in the home and enterprise.
- In the PC market: Atheros' 802.11n solutions are used by the world's top 10 PC manufacturers, providing the reliable wireless connections that enable PC users to access the Internet, media content, social networks and other information from virtually any home, office or public hotspot. Atheros offers the industry's most popular 1-stream 11n solution for netbooks and notebooks, as well as 2-stream and 3-stream 11n products that deliver greater wireless bandwidth and coverage.
- In the mobile market: According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), there will be a 40-fold increase in mobile Internet demand over the next five years.(2) To alleviate the burden of increasing data and media traffic from cellular networks, Wi-Fi is becoming a must-have feature for mobile devices. Atheros offers the world's smallest, lowest power and highest performance mobile WLAN solutions, which have been designed into over 100 mobile designs, including mobile phones, eBooks, tablets, handheld gaming devices and other portable electronics.
- Atheros is also fueling the proliferation of Wi-Fi into other devices that benefit from simple and robust connectivity without cables or cords. Its high-performance WLAN solutions are now being used to move content between consumer electronics, such as televisions, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, home theater systems and set-top boxes. Atheros expects that Wi-Fi will soon be an integral part of the emerging smart grid market.
- "As wireless technology evolves at a breakneck pace, Atheros continues to succeed by maintaining a laser focus on what customers and consumers want -- fast, simple and reliable connectivity," said Craig Barratt, president and chief executive officer of Atheros Communications. "We have enjoyed tremendous success over the past 10+ years and will continue to expand our product portfolio to drive connectivity into a plethora of new devices and markets."
- "With its long-standing commitment to interoperability and participation in Wi-Fi Alliance program development and certification, Atheros has contributed greatly to the advancement, success and proliferation of Wi-Fi technology," said Edgar Figueroa, chief executive officer of the Wi-Fi Alliance. "With substantial growth and technological innovation still ahead, Atheros will continue to make a strong contribution to continued expansion of Wi-Fi technology worldwide."
About Atheros Communications, Inc.
Atheros Communications is a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Atheros combines its wireless and networking systems expertise with high-performance radio frequency (RF), mixed signal and digital semiconductor design skills to provide highly integrated chipsets that are manufactured on low-cost, standard complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) processes. Atheros technology is used by a broad base of leading customers, including personal computer, networking equipment and consumer device manufacturers. For more information, please visit http://www.atheros.com.
Atheros and the Atheros logo are trademarks of Atheros Communications, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including Atheros' leadership position and its ability to scale its operations, the projected growth of the WLAN semiconductor market, the anticipated adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, the projected increase in mobile Internet demand , the expected integration of WLAN as part of the emerging smart grid market, the opportunities and prospects of Atheros resulting from these market trends, and Atheros' plans to continue to expand its product portfolio , are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, whether Atheros is able to grow its business and develop and provide products to take advantage of the expected growth in the WLAN markets, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Although we believe that the forward-looking statistical information from iSuppli and the FCC is reliable, we have not independently verified this data. iSuppli and the FCC generally indicate that they have obtained their information from sources believed to be reliable, but do not guarantee the accuracy and completeness of the information.
(1) iSuppli, Q2 2010
(2) FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski's remarks at NAB Show 2010
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 19, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 913
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 19, 2017 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,215
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and containers together help companies achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of Dev...
Feb. 19, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 5,181
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 760
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 754
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 7,978
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,439
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 7,877
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Feb. 19, 2017 04:15 PM EST Reads: 1,914
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Feb. 19, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,246
In the first article of this three-part series on hybrid cloud security, we discussed the Shared Responsibility Model and examined how the most common attack strategies persist, are amplified, or are mitigated as assets move from data centers to the cloud. Today, we’ll look at some of the unique security challenges that are introduced by public cloud environments. While cloud computing delivers many operational, cost-saving and security benefits, it takes place in a public, shared and on-demand ...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 875
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sudarshan Krishnamurthi, a Senior Manager, Business Strategy, at Cisco Systems, will discuss how IT and operational technology (OT) work together, as opposed to being in separate siloes as once was traditional. Attendees will learn how to fully leverage the power of IoT in their organization by bringing the two sides together and bridging the communication gap. He will also look at what good leadership must entail in order to accomplish this, and how IT managers ca...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,037
In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Mike Johnston, an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io, will discuss how to use Kubernetes to setup a SaaS infrastructure for your business. Mike Johnston is an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io with over 12 years of experience designing, deploying, and maintaining server and workstation infrastructure at all scales. He has experience with brick and mortar data centers as well as cloud providers like Digital Ocean, Amazon Web Services, and Rackspace....
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,065
The financial services market is one of the most data-driven industries in the world, yet it’s bogged down by legacy CPU technologies that simply can’t keep up with the task of querying and visualizing billions of records. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jared Parker, Director of Financial Services at Kinetica, will discuss how the advent of advanced in-database analytics on the GPU makes it possible to run sophisticated data science workloads on the same database that is housing the rich inf...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 897
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 877