|By Marketwired .||
|July 19, 2010 04:03 PM EDT||
SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 07/19/10 -- Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced that it passed a significant milestone during the second quarter of 2010, by shipping its 500 millionth Wi-Fi chipset. This milestone demonstrates Atheros' continued leadership in one of the fastest-growing segments of the semiconductor market and highlights the company's ability to scale its operations to serve multiple high volume markets. According to iSuppli, the wireless LAN (WLAN) semiconductor market quadrupled from 2003 to 2009 and will nearly triple again to reach $8.8 billion in 2014.(1) As a leading supplier of Wi-Fi® technology, Atheros is capitalizing on this tremendous growth opportunity by exceeding customers' expectations with unmatched performance, integration and innovative features.
In addition to its extraordinary growth in WLAN, Atheros has also expanded its connectivity portfolio with Bluetooth®, Ethernet, GPS, Powerline and broadband access technologies, which enable Atheros to deliver unique hybrid networking solutions that enhance and simplify the user experience. The availability of full-featured and cost-effective solutions from Atheros is helping to fuel the rapid adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, including PCs, mobile phones, networking equipment and consumer electronics products. By connecting more devices in the home and office, Atheros enables people to move content from 'there' to 'here' in a way that is simple and transparent to the user.
- Atheros has been instrumental in the evolution of Wi-Fi from a PC networking technology to one that is used in a growing number of products that keep people connected, informed and entertained. Its innovative WLAN solutions now enable a wide range of wireless devices and cutting-edge applications for consumers and enterprises.
- In the networking market: As the number of wireless devices continues to grow, so does demand for powerful network infrastructure. Atheros' 802.11n chipsets are among the most widely adopted solutions for retail networking equipment, residential gateways and enterprise networking systems. They provide robust performance and reliable coverage to support additional wireless users and more demanding applications in the home and enterprise.
- In the PC market: Atheros' 802.11n solutions are used by the world's top 10 PC manufacturers, providing the reliable wireless connections that enable PC users to access the Internet, media content, social networks and other information from virtually any home, office or public hotspot. Atheros offers the industry's most popular 1-stream 11n solution for netbooks and notebooks, as well as 2-stream and 3-stream 11n products that deliver greater wireless bandwidth and coverage.
- In the mobile market: According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), there will be a 40-fold increase in mobile Internet demand over the next five years.(2) To alleviate the burden of increasing data and media traffic from cellular networks, Wi-Fi is becoming a must-have feature for mobile devices. Atheros offers the world's smallest, lowest power and highest performance mobile WLAN solutions, which have been designed into over 100 mobile designs, including mobile phones, eBooks, tablets, handheld gaming devices and other portable electronics.
- Atheros is also fueling the proliferation of Wi-Fi into other devices that benefit from simple and robust connectivity without cables or cords. Its high-performance WLAN solutions are now being used to move content between consumer electronics, such as televisions, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, home theater systems and set-top boxes. Atheros expects that Wi-Fi will soon be an integral part of the emerging smart grid market.
- "As wireless technology evolves at a breakneck pace, Atheros continues to succeed by maintaining a laser focus on what customers and consumers want -- fast, simple and reliable connectivity," said Craig Barratt, president and chief executive officer of Atheros Communications. "We have enjoyed tremendous success over the past 10+ years and will continue to expand our product portfolio to drive connectivity into a plethora of new devices and markets."
- "With its long-standing commitment to interoperability and participation in Wi-Fi Alliance program development and certification, Atheros has contributed greatly to the advancement, success and proliferation of Wi-Fi technology," said Edgar Figueroa, chief executive officer of the Wi-Fi Alliance. "With substantial growth and technological innovation still ahead, Atheros will continue to make a strong contribution to continued expansion of Wi-Fi technology worldwide."
About Atheros Communications, Inc.
Atheros Communications is a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Atheros combines its wireless and networking systems expertise with high-performance radio frequency (RF), mixed signal and digital semiconductor design skills to provide highly integrated chipsets that are manufactured on low-cost, standard complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) processes. Atheros technology is used by a broad base of leading customers, including personal computer, networking equipment and consumer device manufacturers. For more information, please visit http://www.atheros.com.
Atheros and the Atheros logo are trademarks of Atheros Communications, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including Atheros' leadership position and its ability to scale its operations, the projected growth of the WLAN semiconductor market, the anticipated adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, the projected increase in mobile Internet demand , the expected integration of WLAN as part of the emerging smart grid market, the opportunities and prospects of Atheros resulting from these market trends, and Atheros' plans to continue to expand its product portfolio , are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, whether Atheros is able to grow its business and develop and provide products to take advantage of the expected growth in the WLAN markets, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Although we believe that the forward-looking statistical information from iSuppli and the FCC is reliable, we have not independently verified this data. iSuppli and the FCC generally indicate that they have obtained their information from sources believed to be reliable, but do not guarantee the accuracy and completeness of the information.
(1) iSuppli, Q2 2010
(2) FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski's remarks at NAB Show 2010
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,639
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 989
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 1,925
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 1,751
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 807
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 6, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 1,844
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 846
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,886
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,196
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 4,584
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 893
SaaS companies can greatly expand revenue potential by pushing beyond their own borders. The challenge is how to do this without degrading service quality. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Adam Rogers, Managing Director at Anexia, discussed how IaaS providers with a global presence and both virtual and dedicated infrastructure can help companies expand their service footprint with low “go-to-market” costs.
Dec. 5, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 4,305
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 5, 2016 10:45 PM EST Reads: 2,078
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 5, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 1,059
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 5, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 985