|By Marketwired .||
|July 19, 2010 04:03 PM EDT||
SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 07/19/10 -- Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced that it passed a significant milestone during the second quarter of 2010, by shipping its 500 millionth Wi-Fi chipset. This milestone demonstrates Atheros' continued leadership in one of the fastest-growing segments of the semiconductor market and highlights the company's ability to scale its operations to serve multiple high volume markets. According to iSuppli, the wireless LAN (WLAN) semiconductor market quadrupled from 2003 to 2009 and will nearly triple again to reach $8.8 billion in 2014.(1) As a leading supplier of Wi-Fi® technology, Atheros is capitalizing on this tremendous growth opportunity by exceeding customers' expectations with unmatched performance, integration and innovative features.
In addition to its extraordinary growth in WLAN, Atheros has also expanded its connectivity portfolio with Bluetooth®, Ethernet, GPS, Powerline and broadband access technologies, which enable Atheros to deliver unique hybrid networking solutions that enhance and simplify the user experience. The availability of full-featured and cost-effective solutions from Atheros is helping to fuel the rapid adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, including PCs, mobile phones, networking equipment and consumer electronics products. By connecting more devices in the home and office, Atheros enables people to move content from 'there' to 'here' in a way that is simple and transparent to the user.
- Atheros has been instrumental in the evolution of Wi-Fi from a PC networking technology to one that is used in a growing number of products that keep people connected, informed and entertained. Its innovative WLAN solutions now enable a wide range of wireless devices and cutting-edge applications for consumers and enterprises.
- In the networking market: As the number of wireless devices continues to grow, so does demand for powerful network infrastructure. Atheros' 802.11n chipsets are among the most widely adopted solutions for retail networking equipment, residential gateways and enterprise networking systems. They provide robust performance and reliable coverage to support additional wireless users and more demanding applications in the home and enterprise.
- In the PC market: Atheros' 802.11n solutions are used by the world's top 10 PC manufacturers, providing the reliable wireless connections that enable PC users to access the Internet, media content, social networks and other information from virtually any home, office or public hotspot. Atheros offers the industry's most popular 1-stream 11n solution for netbooks and notebooks, as well as 2-stream and 3-stream 11n products that deliver greater wireless bandwidth and coverage.
- In the mobile market: According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), there will be a 40-fold increase in mobile Internet demand over the next five years.(2) To alleviate the burden of increasing data and media traffic from cellular networks, Wi-Fi is becoming a must-have feature for mobile devices. Atheros offers the world's smallest, lowest power and highest performance mobile WLAN solutions, which have been designed into over 100 mobile designs, including mobile phones, eBooks, tablets, handheld gaming devices and other portable electronics.
- Atheros is also fueling the proliferation of Wi-Fi into other devices that benefit from simple and robust connectivity without cables or cords. Its high-performance WLAN solutions are now being used to move content between consumer electronics, such as televisions, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, home theater systems and set-top boxes. Atheros expects that Wi-Fi will soon be an integral part of the emerging smart grid market.
- "As wireless technology evolves at a breakneck pace, Atheros continues to succeed by maintaining a laser focus on what customers and consumers want -- fast, simple and reliable connectivity," said Craig Barratt, president and chief executive officer of Atheros Communications. "We have enjoyed tremendous success over the past 10+ years and will continue to expand our product portfolio to drive connectivity into a plethora of new devices and markets."
- "With its long-standing commitment to interoperability and participation in Wi-Fi Alliance program development and certification, Atheros has contributed greatly to the advancement, success and proliferation of Wi-Fi technology," said Edgar Figueroa, chief executive officer of the Wi-Fi Alliance. "With substantial growth and technological innovation still ahead, Atheros will continue to make a strong contribution to continued expansion of Wi-Fi technology worldwide."
About Atheros Communications, Inc.
Atheros Communications is a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Atheros combines its wireless and networking systems expertise with high-performance radio frequency (RF), mixed signal and digital semiconductor design skills to provide highly integrated chipsets that are manufactured on low-cost, standard complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) processes. Atheros technology is used by a broad base of leading customers, including personal computer, networking equipment and consumer device manufacturers. For more information, please visit http://www.atheros.com.
Atheros and the Atheros logo are trademarks of Atheros Communications, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including Atheros' leadership position and its ability to scale its operations, the projected growth of the WLAN semiconductor market, the anticipated adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, the projected increase in mobile Internet demand , the expected integration of WLAN as part of the emerging smart grid market, the opportunities and prospects of Atheros resulting from these market trends, and Atheros' plans to continue to expand its product portfolio , are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, whether Atheros is able to grow its business and develop and provide products to take advantage of the expected growth in the WLAN markets, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Although we believe that the forward-looking statistical information from iSuppli and the FCC is reliable, we have not independently verified this data. iSuppli and the FCC generally indicate that they have obtained their information from sources believed to be reliable, but do not guarantee the accuracy and completeness of the information.
(1) iSuppli, Q2 2010
(2) FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski's remarks at NAB Show 2010
As-a-service models offer huge opportunities, but also complicate security. It may seem that the easiest way to migrate to a new architectural model is to let others, experts in their field, do the work. This has given rise to many as-a-service models throughout the industry and across the entire technology stack, from software to infrastructure. While this has unlocked huge opportunities to accelerate the deployment of new capabilities or increase economic efficiencies within an organization, i...
Oct. 8, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 257
The web app is agile. The REST API is agile. The testing and planning are agile. But alas, data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes that force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software organ...
Oct. 8, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 804
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes ab...
Oct. 8, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,099
Between the compelling mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at DevOps Summit, Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how busine...
Oct. 8, 2015 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 272
Chris Van Tuin, Chief Technologist for the Western US at Red Hat, has over 20 years of experience in IT and Software. Since joining Red Hat in 2005, he has been architecting solutions for strategic customers and partners with a focus on emerging technologies including IaaS, PaaS, and DevOps. He started his career at Intel in IT and Managed Hosting followed by leadership roles in services and sales engineering at Loudcloud and Linux startups.
Oct. 8, 2015 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 186
JFrog has announced a powerful technology for managing software packages from development into production. JFrog Artifactory 4 represents disruptive innovation in its groundbreaking ability to help development and DevOps teams deliver increasingly complex solutions on ever-shorter deadlines across multiple platforms JFrog Artifactory 4 establishes a new category – the Universal Artifact Repository – that reflects JFrog's unique commitment to enable faster software releases through the first pla...
Oct. 8, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 620
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet condit...
Oct. 8, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 570
The last decade was about virtual machines, but the next one is about containers. Containers enable a service to run on any host at any time. Traditional tools are starting to show cracks because they were not designed for this level of application portability. Now is the time to look at new ways to deploy and manage applications at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Brian “Redbeard” Harrington, a principal architect at CoreOS, will examine how CoreOS helps teams run in production. Attende...
Oct. 8, 2015 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,244
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Oct. 8, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 192
The APN DevOps Competency highlights APN Partners who demonstrate deep capabilities delivering continuous integration, continuous delivery, and configuration management. They help customers transform their business to be more efficient and agile by leveraging the AWS platform and DevOps principles.
Oct. 8, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 229
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Oct. 8, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 271
Containers are revolutionizing the way we deploy and maintain our infrastructures, but monitoring and troubleshooting in a containerized environment can still be painful and impractical. Understanding even basic resource usage is difficult - let alone tracking network connections or malicious activity. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gianluca Borello, Sr. Software Engineer at Sysdig, will cover the current state of the art for container monitoring and visibility, including pros / cons and li...
Oct. 8, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 201
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete en...
Oct. 8, 2015 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 276
Containers are changing the security landscape for software development and deployment. As with any security solutions, security approaches that work for developers, operations personnel and security professionals is a requirement. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Kevin Gilpin, CTO and Co-Founder of Conjur, will discuss various security considerations for container-based infrastructure and related DevOps workflows.
Oct. 8, 2015 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 217
The IoT market is on track to hit $7.1 trillion in 2020. The reality is that only a handful of companies are ready for this massive demand. There are a lot of barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can we deal with these issues and challenges? The paradigm has changed. Old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways will certainly lead you to the dead end. What is mandatory is an overarching and adaptive approach to effectively handle the rapid changes and exponential growth.
Oct. 8, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 104