|By Hovhannes Avoyan||
|March 22, 2012 09:20 AM EDT||
In the last article in this series we covered Xoops, Seotoaster, e107, Concrete5, and Typo3, five leading Content Management Systems. In this article we talk about the next five: MediaWiki, Moveable Type, dotCMS, Dotclear, and Zope/Plone.
11. Media Wiki
MediaWiki is a PHP designed open source software wiki package, initially built for use on Wikipedia. Now it is used by several other projects of the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation and by many other wikis, including this website, the home of MediaWiki. The free software is available under the license of the GPL. It runs on a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) architecture. It’s designed to run on large server farms for websites that get millions of hits per day.
- Scalability: It is scalable and powerful, with many features not commonly found in Wiki systems
- MediaWiki supports a multiple server environment allowing it to scale up for high usage situations such as massive collaborations
- Powerful and robust, MediaWiki is capable of handling hundreds of millions of pages
- Multiple users can simultaneously update, modify and edit pages on the CMS which is designed for a collaborative environment
12. Movable Type
Movable Type is a free, all-in-one content management system that helps in building and operating an eCommerce site and creating a social networking site. It also lets developers manage large volumes of content and run a blog, while also functioning as an intranet. This content management system has gained popularity in various circles including media and publishing companies, design and development firms, power bloggers and marketing and communications folks.
- Managing your website with Movable Type is quite easy through the administrator interface
- With one installment, one can manage multiple websites/blogs
- It is scalable. As your site grows, the platform scales to meet fluctuating traffic needs
- It is quick and easy to make new templates and requires very little technical knowledge using the built-in tools
- It’s easy to publish content in either entry or page form and add custom fields as you go
- Optional support for bloggers, online support for businesses and premium support for enterprise and high-traffic bloggers
- It supports multiple users, themes, comments and tagging
- It takes longest time to install in comparison to other CMS
- Active community is significantly smaller than more popular content management systems
DotCMS is an enterprise-grade open source J2EE/Java Web Content Management System. It is used for controlling websites and managing content such as media, modules, text and other add-ons. Users with moderate or no technical ability can make massive changes on a site while working on dotCMS. The combination of open source and Java Script makes it sophisticated, innovative and customizable. Intended to serve CMS-driven e-commerce, it allows corporations, institutions and organizations to move at a quicker pace without the need for Java development talent within a Web Team. Some of the organizations that run on dotCMS Enterprise Edition are Toyota, Hospital Corporation of America, University of Texas, Thomson Reuters, Aquent, State of Ohio, and the Government of Quebec.
- It offers a certified and warranted Enterprise solution in addition to a Community version
- Using dotCMS, clients with little or no technical knowledge can manage an open source portal, company web site, or intranet application
- It is suitable for a document management application, or an information portal of any type
- dotCMS enables the marketing department to tag, segment and group site visitors by any number of criteria. For example by the pages they visit, the time of their last visit, their demographic information and any of their indicated interests
- Unlike other open source CMS, dotCMS requires one to have root access to the server for installation of things like Apache Tomcat
Dotclear is a French open source CMS under the GNU General Public License. It is a blogging platform available in English. Developers can create multiple blogs with one installation. The open-source web publishing software offers a very user-friendly backend. Anyone with little technical knowledge can publish on the web using Dotclear, a user-friendly tool.
- Easy publication
- Package engine allows 1-click install for plug-ins and themes
- Fully customizable theme
- User-friendly administration
- Low requirements (PHP4/MySQL4) help to minimize hosting dependencies
- Flexible comment system
- Performance and scalability
- Huge number of available plug-ins
- Single-site only
- Rudimentary security features
- Not suitable for large enterprise projects
- Very limited assets manager
Plone is an open source and web CMS that is based on the Zope application server, which uses the Python language. This is unique in a world filled with PHP applications. It is famous among developers as an intranet, portal, web site or community site. It helps them to manage all sorts of content, organized into folders that can be uploaded by a community of users.
- Far less vulnerability than PHP-based systems
- Extremely extensible and flexible
- Wide range of 3rd-party products to deal with off-norm use-cases
- Extraordinarily helpful community
- Excellent i18N support
- Scalability: Plone scales to enterprise levels
- World-wide availability of professional trainers and consultants
- More secure than systems like Drupal and Joomla
- Requires knowledge of Zope and Python
- Not very user friendly for non-technical users
- Plone’s CMS niche is often confused with other, less powerful OSS CMS due to its operation at the confluence of web content management, social S/W & collaboration, and enterprise portals
- Very steep learning curve
- Not very good web 2.0 support (blogs, forums, streaming media etc.)
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 818
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 942
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,018
SYS-CON Events announced today that Adobe has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of co...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,744
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 622
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 856
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:20 PM EDT Reads: 194
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,058
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,226
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 30, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 793
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 30, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 402
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 30, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,070
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 30, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 884
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Aug. 30, 2016 09:08 AM EDT Reads: 278
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 30, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 916