|By Hovhannes Avoyan||
|April 9, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
It is our goal at Monitis to make the lives of web developers and system administrators easy. We have reviewed the 5 leading hosted hadoop-based applications and given a short analysis of them in this post to help guide you in finding a solution that best suits your needs.
The article covers: Amazon Elastic MapReduce; Cloud Era CDH; InfoSphere BigInsights; MapR M3 and M5 and Hortonworks Data Platform.
Amazon Elastic MapReduce (http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/)
Introduced by Amazon in 2009, Elastic MapReduce automates the process of various Hadoop cluster processes and transfers between Amazon’s EC2 and S3 products. For a minimal fee, Amazon will provide its clients with the ability to launch a preconfigured Hadoop cluster to run a client’s MapReduce Program.
- Very easy to setup a job flow
- There’s an enormous amount of documentation available to help new users
- Example applications are provided, giving an option to test drive the application before putting it to use.
- Entire application system can be powered by a command line interface, compared to a web-based management console.
- Ability to conduct several jobs simultaneously and parallel.
- No hardware is needed and costs can be very limited, which is great for small businesses seeking to be more cost efficient.
- Need an account with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Service is only available in the United States
- Requires the use of Amazon’s S3 service, which adds extra costs to an overall project (data transfer, security etc.)
Cloudera CDH (www.cloudera.com)
Founded in March 2009, Cloudera was previously considered to be the Red Hat of the Hadoop World. With a large customer base of over 400 (including paid and free downloads), the company’s offerings include the Cloudera Enterprise products and Training & Support Services. Formed by a number of key executives from various technology giants (Oracle, Yahoo, Google and Facebook), Cloudera is considered the pioneer in the Hadoop community, having a head start in the industry compared to its competitors.
- Free application that can be easily downloaded
- Installed internally within an organization which allows the company to have full control of all processes, jobs etc.
- Technical support is superior and the knowledgebase is an essential resource to anyone starting out with Hadoop
- Used by a large number of companies worldwide, and has been proven as a leading choice in Hadoop applications.
- Application includes additional resources and components (e.g. Pig, Hive, Flume, HBase, Zookeeper, Mahout, Whirr, Hue, Sqoop and Oozie)
- Cloudera conducts quarterly updates: eliminating the need to conduct a big scale annual upgrade.
- Requires companies to obtain the necessary hardware in order to install the application, adding additional costs.
- Additional costs are added to support and maintain the application, increasing the company’s operating costs.
IBM InfoSphere BigInsights (www.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights)
A new product introduced in May 2011, the product is geared towards handling extremely large volumes of streaming data using a Hadoop-based analytics framework. IBM states that the IBM InfoSphere Biginsights will be able to handle “tens-of-petabytes” of data, and will retain a sub-millisecond response time. The company also plans to launch 20 new service offerings, including numerous analytical tools for business and IT.
- Superior product support and long standing company reputation established from many years of servicing the IT community.
- Comes standard with a number of essential components including; PIG programming, IBM DB2 and IBM BigSheets.
- Offers two replication models that provide log-based replication working independently (queue-based and SQL-based).
- Lots of documentation and step-by-step training is available from the IBM website.
- Superior product for analysing big data in motion that needs to be continuously analyzed in real time.
- New to the marketplace and has not been around long enough to ensure a solid reputation.
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations seeking to utilize a more cost effective application.
MapR M3 and M5 (www.mapr.com)
With headquarters in San Jose, CA, MapR markets its proprietary applications with a focus on providing a number of key features and capabilities for the use with MapReduce and Hadoop.
- Offers superior monitoring that can provide a better understanding of data distribution and processing – essential for achieving increased performance.
- A free version is offered, which includes everything except management tools which are only offered in its M5 series products.
- Excellent technical support and vast quantities of documentation available
- New to the marketplace so has a limited reputation
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations
- 24×7 support is only available on the paid version of the application
- Requires an enormous amount of disk space to install (25GB), compared to similar products.
Hortonworks Data Platform (http://hortonworks.com/)
Hortonworks was formed in June 2011 by a number of key architects and Hadoop committers formerly employed within the Yahoo Hadoop Software department. The company’s offerings include; HDP (Hadoop Data Platform) and Training Support Services. The company currently serves 2 customers – Yahoo and Microsoft.
- A spin-off Yahoo product, so it’s been tested in the marketplace.
- Lots of documentation and support available from the knowledgebase community.
- The company is continuously working with Yahoo to develop its future products
- Scalable to meet the demands of specific projects.
- Offers variations and expanded product offerings from partnerships with a number of specialized companies.
- Product is similar in nature to Cloudera, and provides similar features.
1 YEAR WEBSITE TRAFFIC COMPARISON (from Compete.com)
Hopefully our post has been of interest to web developers and system administrators.
More information on Monitis can be found on our website: www.monitis.com
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Jul. 6, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 941
Containers are revolutionizing the way we deploy and maintain our infrastructures, but monitoring and troubleshooting in a containerized environment can still be painful and impractical. Understanding even basic resource usage is difficult – let alone tracking network connections or malicious activity. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gianluca Borello, Sr. Software Engineer at Sysdig, will cover the current state of the art for container monitoring and visibility, including pros / cons and liv...
Jul. 6, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,903
SYS-CON Media announced today that CloudBees, the Jenkins Enterprise company, has launched ad campaigns on SYS-CON's DevOps Journal. CloudBees' campaigns focus on the business value of Continuous Delivery and how it has been recognized as a game changer for IT and is now a top priority for organizations, and the best ways to optimize Jenkins to ensure your continuous integration environment is optimally configured.
Jul. 6, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 989
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,889
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,129
"In the IoT space we are helping customers, mostly enterprises and industry verticals where time-to-value is critical, and we help them with the ability to do faster insights and actions using our platform so they can transform their business operations," explained Venkat Eswara, VP of Marketing at Vitria, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 513
The most often asked question post-DevOps introduction is: “How do I get started?” There’s plenty of information on why DevOps is valid and important, but many managers still struggle with simple basics for how to initiate a DevOps program in their business. They struggle with issues related to current organizational inertia, the lack of experience on Continuous Integration/Delivery, understanding where DevOps will affect revenue and budget, etc. In their session at DevOps Summit, JP Morgenthal...
Jul. 6, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,528
"We provide a web application framework for building really sophisticated web applications that run on a browser without any installation need so we get used for biotech, defense, and banking applications," noted Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit (http://DevOpsSummit.SYS-CON.com), held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York
Jul. 6, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,733
In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Simone Brunozzi, VP and Chief Technologist of Cloud Services at VMware, reviewed the changes that the cloud computing industry has gone through over the last five years and shared insights into what the next five will bring. He also chronicled the challenges enterprise companies are facing as they move to the public cloud. He delved into the "Hybrid Cloud" space and explained why every CIO should consider ‘hybrid cloud' as part of their future strategy to achie...
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,778
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,779
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,025
"The idea of polyglot persistence is you have to apply the right database for the job - you always have to have many different databases in play. We offer that whole system as a service," explained Raj Singh, Developer Advocate for IBM Cloud Data Services, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 797
SYS-CON Events announced today that WHOA.com, an ISO 27001 Certified secure cloud computing company, participated as “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which took place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WHOA.com is a leader in next-generation, ISO 27001 Certified secure cloud solutions. WHOA.com offers a comprehensive portfolio of best-in-class cloud services for business including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Secure Cloud Desk...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 963
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ ...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,074
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,854