|By Keith Mayer||
|August 29, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
In my Private Cloud talks with IT Pros, how best to virtualize Microsoft Exchange workloads, regardless of underlying hypervisor, has been a recurring hot topic area of discussion. At Microsoft Tech Ed 2012, Jeff Mealiffe, Senior Program Manager on the Exchange team and responsible for Exchange virtualization guidance, delivered a great session on "Best Practices for Virtualizing Microsoft Exchange Server 2010". This is a great resource to study when planning virtualized Exchange deployments! Below, I've included the following items to help you get started with virtualizing Exchange:
- The recorded session video
- A link to the downloadable slide deck
- An indexed recap of my session notes
- Links to additional tools and resources that I've personally found helpful
I'm definitely looking forward to building my next virtualized deployment of Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2012 RTM when it releases on Sept 4th! The increased VM resource densities in Hyper-V v3 of up to 64 virtual processors and 1TB RAM per virtual machine will be a big boost to virtualizing mission critical heavy-duty workloads like Exchange mailbox server roles and multi-role servers.
Download a copy of the session slide deck.
Session Notes with Video Index
- Supported Exchange Virtualization Scenarios [ 4:00 ]
- Exchange 2010 SP1 or later
- Hyper-V or any hypervisor in the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP) - link provided below.
- Items Not Supported when Virtualizing Exchange [ 7:00 ]
- Hypervisor snapshots
- Differencing / Delta disks
- CPU oversubscription in a ratio > 2:1
- Applications running on the parent / root partition
- VSS backups of VMs from root
- NAS storage of virtual disk files
- JetStress Support in Virtualized Environments [ 12:10 ]
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on VMware ESX 4.1 or later
- More Info - http://bit.ly/HP8G0f
- Big Problems to Avoid for Production Exchange VMs [ 17:53 ]
- Dynamic Memory / Memory Overcommit [ 18:00 ]
- VM Snapshots [ 31:57 ]
- CPU Oversubscription [ 35:05 ]
- Overview of Best Practices [ 38:05 ]
- Hypervisor adds CPU overhead - 10-12% in our Exchange 2010 tests [ 39:22 ]
- Size for physical and provide those resources to each VM [ 40:31 ]
- Exchange is architected for scale-out scenarios, avoid "all eggs in one basket" [ 40:48 ]
- Resource Sizing [ 43:16 ]
- Start with physical sizing process - use calculator (listed below)
- Account for virtualization overhead (10-12%)
- Determine VM placement to account for HA
- Size root servers, storage and network infrastructure
- Guest VM sizing [ 47:18 ]
- Size Mailbox role first - other role sizes factored from Mailbox server requirements
- Considerations for use of Multi-role servers - Mailbox, Hub and CAS roles on single VM
- Unified Messaging Sizing [ 49:08 ]
- Min 4 Virtual Processors (VP)
- VM with 4VP & 16GB memory can handle 40 concurrent calls with Voice Mail Preview (65 calls without)
- Storage Decisions [ 52:47 ]
- Exchange storage separate from Guest OS virtual disk physical storage
- Must be fixed virtual disk, SCSI pass-through (RDM) or iSCSI (terminated at host or guest)
- SCSI pass-through (RDM) recommended to host queues, DBs and logfile streams unless using Hyper-V Live Migration where CSV is recommended
- Must be block-level storage - NAS volumes not supported
- Virtual Processors [ 56:04 ]
- Prefer smaller number of multi-core VMs vs many single-core VMs
- Don't assume that a hyperthreaded (SMT) CPU is a full CPU core
- Private Cloud [ 57:08 ]
- Good model for providing virtual infrastructure resources to Exchange, but be careful with "dynamic" cloud capabilities
- Be prepared to apply different resource management policies to Exchange VMs
- Host-based Failover Clustering [ 59:41 ]
- Not an "Exchange Aware" HA Solution - Does not provide HA in the event of storage failure / data corruption
- If using, combine with DAG when possible to provide maximum HA - Admin can re-balance DAG after failover to redistribute
- VM Live Migration and Exchange [ 01:04:50 ]
- DAG does not need to be dynamically re-balanced
- Use CSV rather than pass-through LUNS for all Mailbox VM storage
- Consider relaxing cluster heartbeat timeouts (5 seconds = default, 30 seconds = max recommended)
- Size network appropriately for Live Migration
- VM Placement [ 01:08:26 ]
- Don't co-locate DAG database copies on same physical hosts
- Distribute VMs running same roles to different physical hosts
- If not using multi-role VM's, consider isolating mailbox and hub role VMs on separate physical hosts if possible
Additional Tools and Resources
- Exchange virtualization supportability guidance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj126252.aspx
- Understanding Exchange Performance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351192
- Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator - http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/01/22/updates-to-the-exchange-2010-mailbox-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx
- Exchange JetStress and Load Generator Tools - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335108
- Server Virtualization Validation Program - http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp/
- Exchange 2010 Tested OEM Solutions (on Hyper-V)
- HP Configurations
- DELL Configurations
- Unisys Configurations
- Unisys ES7000 Servers for 15,000 users: http://bit.ly/kOBSuo
- EMC Configurations
- EMC Unified Storage and Cisco Unified Computing System for 32,000 users - http://bit.ly/9DBfoB
|Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012|
|Don’t Have a Lab? Build Your Lab in the Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Machines|
|Want to Get Certified? Join our Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Study Group|
|Do IT Pros ROCK? Please VOTE for us!|
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 34,286
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Oct. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,139
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 27, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,184
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 11,125
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,107
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Oct. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,534
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 26, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 9,747
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Oct. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 637
Most people haven’t heard the word, “gamification,” even though they probably, and perhaps unwittingly, participate in it every day. Gamification is “the process of adding games or game-like elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.” Further, gamification is about bringing game mechanics – rules, constructs, processes, and methods – into the real world in an effort to engage people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Endo, owner and engagement manager of Intrepid D...
Oct. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,906
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Oct. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,917
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Oct. 26, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,663
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 26, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,132
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 26, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 675
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,475
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,577