|By Keith Mayer||
|August 29, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
In my Private Cloud talks with IT Pros, how best to virtualize Microsoft Exchange workloads, regardless of underlying hypervisor, has been a recurring hot topic area of discussion. At Microsoft Tech Ed 2012, Jeff Mealiffe, Senior Program Manager on the Exchange team and responsible for Exchange virtualization guidance, delivered a great session on "Best Practices for Virtualizing Microsoft Exchange Server 2010". This is a great resource to study when planning virtualized Exchange deployments! Below, I've included the following items to help you get started with virtualizing Exchange:
- The recorded session video
- A link to the downloadable slide deck
- An indexed recap of my session notes
- Links to additional tools and resources that I've personally found helpful
I'm definitely looking forward to building my next virtualized deployment of Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2012 RTM when it releases on Sept 4th! The increased VM resource densities in Hyper-V v3 of up to 64 virtual processors and 1TB RAM per virtual machine will be a big boost to virtualizing mission critical heavy-duty workloads like Exchange mailbox server roles and multi-role servers.
Download a copy of the session slide deck.
Session Notes with Video Index
- Supported Exchange Virtualization Scenarios [ 4:00 ]
- Exchange 2010 SP1 or later
- Hyper-V or any hypervisor in the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP) - link provided below.
- Items Not Supported when Virtualizing Exchange [ 7:00 ]
- Hypervisor snapshots
- Differencing / Delta disks
- CPU oversubscription in a ratio > 2:1
- Applications running on the parent / root partition
- VSS backups of VMs from root
- NAS storage of virtual disk files
- JetStress Support in Virtualized Environments [ 12:10 ]
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on VMware ESX 4.1 or later
- More Info - http://bit.ly/HP8G0f
- Big Problems to Avoid for Production Exchange VMs [ 17:53 ]
- Dynamic Memory / Memory Overcommit [ 18:00 ]
- VM Snapshots [ 31:57 ]
- CPU Oversubscription [ 35:05 ]
- Overview of Best Practices [ 38:05 ]
- Hypervisor adds CPU overhead - 10-12% in our Exchange 2010 tests [ 39:22 ]
- Size for physical and provide those resources to each VM [ 40:31 ]
- Exchange is architected for scale-out scenarios, avoid "all eggs in one basket" [ 40:48 ]
- Resource Sizing [ 43:16 ]
- Start with physical sizing process - use calculator (listed below)
- Account for virtualization overhead (10-12%)
- Determine VM placement to account for HA
- Size root servers, storage and network infrastructure
- Guest VM sizing [ 47:18 ]
- Size Mailbox role first - other role sizes factored from Mailbox server requirements
- Considerations for use of Multi-role servers - Mailbox, Hub and CAS roles on single VM
- Unified Messaging Sizing [ 49:08 ]
- Min 4 Virtual Processors (VP)
- VM with 4VP & 16GB memory can handle 40 concurrent calls with Voice Mail Preview (65 calls without)
- Storage Decisions [ 52:47 ]
- Exchange storage separate from Guest OS virtual disk physical storage
- Must be fixed virtual disk, SCSI pass-through (RDM) or iSCSI (terminated at host or guest)
- SCSI pass-through (RDM) recommended to host queues, DBs and logfile streams unless using Hyper-V Live Migration where CSV is recommended
- Must be block-level storage - NAS volumes not supported
- Virtual Processors [ 56:04 ]
- Prefer smaller number of multi-core VMs vs many single-core VMs
- Don't assume that a hyperthreaded (SMT) CPU is a full CPU core
- Private Cloud [ 57:08 ]
- Good model for providing virtual infrastructure resources to Exchange, but be careful with "dynamic" cloud capabilities
- Be prepared to apply different resource management policies to Exchange VMs
- Host-based Failover Clustering [ 59:41 ]
- Not an "Exchange Aware" HA Solution - Does not provide HA in the event of storage failure / data corruption
- If using, combine with DAG when possible to provide maximum HA - Admin can re-balance DAG after failover to redistribute
- VM Live Migration and Exchange [ 01:04:50 ]
- DAG does not need to be dynamically re-balanced
- Use CSV rather than pass-through LUNS for all Mailbox VM storage
- Consider relaxing cluster heartbeat timeouts (5 seconds = default, 30 seconds = max recommended)
- Size network appropriately for Live Migration
- VM Placement [ 01:08:26 ]
- Don't co-locate DAG database copies on same physical hosts
- Distribute VMs running same roles to different physical hosts
- If not using multi-role VM's, consider isolating mailbox and hub role VMs on separate physical hosts if possible
Additional Tools and Resources
- Exchange virtualization supportability guidance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj126252.aspx
- Understanding Exchange Performance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351192
- Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator - http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/01/22/updates-to-the-exchange-2010-mailbox-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx
- Exchange JetStress and Load Generator Tools - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335108
- Server Virtualization Validation Program - http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp/
- Exchange 2010 Tested OEM Solutions (on Hyper-V)
- HP Configurations
- DELL Configurations
- Unisys Configurations
- Unisys ES7000 Servers for 15,000 users: http://bit.ly/kOBSuo
- EMC Configurations
- EMC Unified Storage and Cisco Unified Computing System for 32,000 users - http://bit.ly/9DBfoB
|Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012|
|Don’t Have a Lab? Build Your Lab in the Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Machines|
|Want to Get Certified? Join our Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Study Group|
|Do IT Pros ROCK? Please VOTE for us!|
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,810
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Aug. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,418
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,337
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 366
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,064
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 24, 2016 10:48 AM EDT Reads: 248
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Aug. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,782
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 436
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 24, 2016 10:19 AM EDT Reads: 256
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 24, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 423
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 429
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,238
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:36 AM EDT Reads: 202
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,492
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 24, 2016 08:59 AM EDT Reads: 322