|By Keith Mayer||
|August 29, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
In my Private Cloud talks with IT Pros, how best to virtualize Microsoft Exchange workloads, regardless of underlying hypervisor, has been a recurring hot topic area of discussion. At Microsoft Tech Ed 2012, Jeff Mealiffe, Senior Program Manager on the Exchange team and responsible for Exchange virtualization guidance, delivered a great session on "Best Practices for Virtualizing Microsoft Exchange Server 2010". This is a great resource to study when planning virtualized Exchange deployments! Below, I've included the following items to help you get started with virtualizing Exchange:
- The recorded session video
- A link to the downloadable slide deck
- An indexed recap of my session notes
- Links to additional tools and resources that I've personally found helpful
I'm definitely looking forward to building my next virtualized deployment of Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2012 RTM when it releases on Sept 4th! The increased VM resource densities in Hyper-V v3 of up to 64 virtual processors and 1TB RAM per virtual machine will be a big boost to virtualizing mission critical heavy-duty workloads like Exchange mailbox server roles and multi-role servers.
Download a copy of the session slide deck.
Session Notes with Video Index
- Supported Exchange Virtualization Scenarios [ 4:00 ]
- Exchange 2010 SP1 or later
- Hyper-V or any hypervisor in the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP) - link provided below.
- Items Not Supported when Virtualizing Exchange [ 7:00 ]
- Hypervisor snapshots
- Differencing / Delta disks
- CPU oversubscription in a ratio > 2:1
- Applications running on the parent / root partition
- VSS backups of VMs from root
- NAS storage of virtual disk files
- JetStress Support in Virtualized Environments [ 12:10 ]
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on VMware ESX 4.1 or later
- More Info - http://bit.ly/HP8G0f
- Big Problems to Avoid for Production Exchange VMs [ 17:53 ]
- Dynamic Memory / Memory Overcommit [ 18:00 ]
- VM Snapshots [ 31:57 ]
- CPU Oversubscription [ 35:05 ]
- Overview of Best Practices [ 38:05 ]
- Hypervisor adds CPU overhead - 10-12% in our Exchange 2010 tests [ 39:22 ]
- Size for physical and provide those resources to each VM [ 40:31 ]
- Exchange is architected for scale-out scenarios, avoid "all eggs in one basket" [ 40:48 ]
- Resource Sizing [ 43:16 ]
- Start with physical sizing process - use calculator (listed below)
- Account for virtualization overhead (10-12%)
- Determine VM placement to account for HA
- Size root servers, storage and network infrastructure
- Guest VM sizing [ 47:18 ]
- Size Mailbox role first - other role sizes factored from Mailbox server requirements
- Considerations for use of Multi-role servers - Mailbox, Hub and CAS roles on single VM
- Unified Messaging Sizing [ 49:08 ]
- Min 4 Virtual Processors (VP)
- VM with 4VP & 16GB memory can handle 40 concurrent calls with Voice Mail Preview (65 calls without)
- Storage Decisions [ 52:47 ]
- Exchange storage separate from Guest OS virtual disk physical storage
- Must be fixed virtual disk, SCSI pass-through (RDM) or iSCSI (terminated at host or guest)
- SCSI pass-through (RDM) recommended to host queues, DBs and logfile streams unless using Hyper-V Live Migration where CSV is recommended
- Must be block-level storage - NAS volumes not supported
- Virtual Processors [ 56:04 ]
- Prefer smaller number of multi-core VMs vs many single-core VMs
- Don't assume that a hyperthreaded (SMT) CPU is a full CPU core
- Private Cloud [ 57:08 ]
- Good model for providing virtual infrastructure resources to Exchange, but be careful with "dynamic" cloud capabilities
- Be prepared to apply different resource management policies to Exchange VMs
- Host-based Failover Clustering [ 59:41 ]
- Not an "Exchange Aware" HA Solution - Does not provide HA in the event of storage failure / data corruption
- If using, combine with DAG when possible to provide maximum HA - Admin can re-balance DAG after failover to redistribute
- VM Live Migration and Exchange [ 01:04:50 ]
- DAG does not need to be dynamically re-balanced
- Use CSV rather than pass-through LUNS for all Mailbox VM storage
- Consider relaxing cluster heartbeat timeouts (5 seconds = default, 30 seconds = max recommended)
- Size network appropriately for Live Migration
- VM Placement [ 01:08:26 ]
- Don't co-locate DAG database copies on same physical hosts
- Distribute VMs running same roles to different physical hosts
- If not using multi-role VM's, consider isolating mailbox and hub role VMs on separate physical hosts if possible
Additional Tools and Resources
- Exchange virtualization supportability guidance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj126252.aspx
- Understanding Exchange Performance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351192
- Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator - http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/01/22/updates-to-the-exchange-2010-mailbox-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx
- Exchange JetStress and Load Generator Tools - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335108
- Server Virtualization Validation Program - http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp/
- Exchange 2010 Tested OEM Solutions (on Hyper-V)
- HP Configurations
- DELL Configurations
- Unisys Configurations
- Unisys ES7000 Servers for 15,000 users: http://bit.ly/kOBSuo
- EMC Configurations
- EMC Unified Storage and Cisco Unified Computing System for 32,000 users - http://bit.ly/9DBfoB
|Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012|
|Don’t Have a Lab? Build Your Lab in the Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Machines|
|Want to Get Certified? Join our Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Study Group|
|Do IT Pros ROCK? Please VOTE for us!|
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 392
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 344
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 30, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 368
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 133
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 462
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 151
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 221
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 188
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 284
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Aug. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 269
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 171
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 435
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 876
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 225
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 338