|By Marketwired .||
|September 25, 2012 01:03 PM EDT||
TORONTO -- (Marketwire) -- 09/25/12 -- The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, all love a good travel story. Sharing travel experiences is the norm around the office. So the team decided to research and compile a list of Top 10 Unbelievable Tales of Travel featuring the wildest and most adventuresome true travel experiences out there.
Below are five travel tales to make Cheapflights.ca's list of Top 10 Unbelievable Tales of Travel from adventurers who eschewed motors during their exploits. Whether by on foot, by bike, under sail or on skis and sled, these amazing people demonstrated commitment, perseverance and the human spirit and will inspire you to see the world differently.
- Rob Gauntlett and James Hooper's 180-degree expedition - At 19 years old, Rob Gauntlett and James Hooper set out on a 26,000-mile journey, travelling from geomagnetic pole to geomagnetic pole using nothing but human and natural power. They managed to dog sled and ski across Greenland, board a sailboat to New York, bike 11,000 miles to the tip of South America, then sail in the middle of winter to Antarctica. With little funding and a lot of heart, they were able to accomplish the incredible travel feat in a little over a year.
- Rory Stewart's walk across Afghanistan - In 2002, shortly after the War in Afghanistan began, British politician and author Rory Stewart set out on foot across the north-central part of the country. During the dead of winter, Stewart faced mountainous regions, following the Hari River from Herat to Kabul through some of the most treacherous and isolated parts of the country. He finished his journey in 32 days, and has since published a critically acclaimed book about his journey, The Places in Between.
- Frank Muldowney's walk across Australia with an empty wheelchair - Seeing a man walk down the street pushing a bright orange empty wheelchair might make a few heads turn, but that didn't stop Frank Muldowney from completing his 4,000-mile journey from Perth to Sydney on foot. The wheelchair was supposed to be carrying Muldowney's friend "Harvey", an invisible symbol for peace. Muldowney deemed his Pilgrimage for Peace "Believing in Harvey", lasting from April 2006 until September 2007.
- The Vogels' bike ride along the Pan-American Highway - Sure it's rare, but there are couples out there who are adventurous enough to take on the 17,300 miles trek from Alaska to Argentina. But to do it with two young boys is another feat altogether. John and Nancy Vogel took off in June 2008 with their 10-year-old twin boys, Davy and Daryl, on an experience of a lifetime. Biking from the northern tip of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina, Davy and Daryl became the youngest people to bike the Pan-American Highway, completing it in two and a half years.
- Dave Kunst's expedition around the world on foot - The first verified man to walk around the globe, Dave Kunst, set out from Minnesota in June 1970 with his brother, John. With the help of several mules, the entire expedition took more than four years. Sadly, John was killed in a shooting in Afghanistan. Dave continued on after recovering from gunshot wounds suffered in the same incident, and later met his future wife Jenni, who drove alongside him in Australia while carrying his supplies. Kunst finished in 1974, and has since given inspirational speeches, even carrying the Olympic torch in the run-up to the 1996 Atlanta Games.
Rounding out our list of incredible travel legends are five who embraced a mix of transports, from trains to tractors, for their extreme journeys: Steven Shoppman and Stephen Bouey's drive around the world; Nellie Bly's unescorted tour of the world in under 80 days; Kinga Freespirit's hitchhike around the world; Michael Hodson's train adventure from Lisbon to Saigon; Manon Ossevoort's tractor ride from Europe to South Africa; and The Vogels' bike ride along the Pan-American Highway. To read more about these inspiring stories, check out Cheapflights.ca's complete list of Top 10 Incredible Tales of Travel, at www.cheapflights.ca/promos/top-10-unbelievable-tales-of-travel.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.ca. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2102774
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 30, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,027
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 30, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,455
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 30, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,442
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
May. 30, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,672
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
May. 30, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 802
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 30, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 773
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,638
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,111
SYS-CON Events announced today the Docker Meets Kubernetes – Intro into the Kubernetes World, being held June 9, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Register for 'Docker Meets Kubernetes Workshop' Here! This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, introduces participants to Kubernetes (container orchestration). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, participants learn ...
May. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,090
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,086
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,156
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 815
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, will discuss how the newest technology advances are reducing the cost and complexity of traditional business continuity and disaster recovery solutions. Attendees will: Learn why having a full disaster recovery strategy is more important now than ever before Explore the key drivers of a successful disaster recovery solution Achieve measurable operational and business value from a disaster recovery ...
May. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,514
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,127
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 818