|By Marketwired .||
|September 25, 2012 01:03 PM EDT||
TORONTO -- (Marketwire) -- 09/25/12 -- The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, all love a good travel story. Sharing travel experiences is the norm around the office. So the team decided to research and compile a list of Top 10 Unbelievable Tales of Travel featuring the wildest and most adventuresome true travel experiences out there.
Below are five travel tales to make Cheapflights.ca's list of Top 10 Unbelievable Tales of Travel from adventurers who eschewed motors during their exploits. Whether by on foot, by bike, under sail or on skis and sled, these amazing people demonstrated commitment, perseverance and the human spirit and will inspire you to see the world differently.
- Rob Gauntlett and James Hooper's 180-degree expedition - At 19 years old, Rob Gauntlett and James Hooper set out on a 26,000-mile journey, travelling from geomagnetic pole to geomagnetic pole using nothing but human and natural power. They managed to dog sled and ski across Greenland, board a sailboat to New York, bike 11,000 miles to the tip of South America, then sail in the middle of winter to Antarctica. With little funding and a lot of heart, they were able to accomplish the incredible travel feat in a little over a year.
- Rory Stewart's walk across Afghanistan - In 2002, shortly after the War in Afghanistan began, British politician and author Rory Stewart set out on foot across the north-central part of the country. During the dead of winter, Stewart faced mountainous regions, following the Hari River from Herat to Kabul through some of the most treacherous and isolated parts of the country. He finished his journey in 32 days, and has since published a critically acclaimed book about his journey, The Places in Between.
- Frank Muldowney's walk across Australia with an empty wheelchair - Seeing a man walk down the street pushing a bright orange empty wheelchair might make a few heads turn, but that didn't stop Frank Muldowney from completing his 4,000-mile journey from Perth to Sydney on foot. The wheelchair was supposed to be carrying Muldowney's friend "Harvey", an invisible symbol for peace. Muldowney deemed his Pilgrimage for Peace "Believing in Harvey", lasting from April 2006 until September 2007.
- The Vogels' bike ride along the Pan-American Highway - Sure it's rare, but there are couples out there who are adventurous enough to take on the 17,300 miles trek from Alaska to Argentina. But to do it with two young boys is another feat altogether. John and Nancy Vogel took off in June 2008 with their 10-year-old twin boys, Davy and Daryl, on an experience of a lifetime. Biking from the northern tip of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina, Davy and Daryl became the youngest people to bike the Pan-American Highway, completing it in two and a half years.
- Dave Kunst's expedition around the world on foot - The first verified man to walk around the globe, Dave Kunst, set out from Minnesota in June 1970 with his brother, John. With the help of several mules, the entire expedition took more than four years. Sadly, John was killed in a shooting in Afghanistan. Dave continued on after recovering from gunshot wounds suffered in the same incident, and later met his future wife Jenni, who drove alongside him in Australia while carrying his supplies. Kunst finished in 1974, and has since given inspirational speeches, even carrying the Olympic torch in the run-up to the 1996 Atlanta Games.
Rounding out our list of incredible travel legends are five who embraced a mix of transports, from trains to tractors, for their extreme journeys: Steven Shoppman and Stephen Bouey's drive around the world; Nellie Bly's unescorted tour of the world in under 80 days; Kinga Freespirit's hitchhike around the world; Michael Hodson's train adventure from Lisbon to Saigon; Manon Ossevoort's tractor ride from Europe to South Africa; and The Vogels' bike ride along the Pan-American Highway. To read more about these inspiring stories, check out Cheapflights.ca's complete list of Top 10 Incredible Tales of Travel, at www.cheapflights.ca/promos/top-10-unbelievable-tales-of-travel.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.ca. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2102774
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 880
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,203
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 667
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Jul. 27, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 594
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,045
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,208
Hostway Services, Inc. and WSM International have partnered to deliver trouble free migration services for any organization that wishes to bring their IT infrastructure to Hostway's Azure managed cloud services. WSM is the leader in providing turn-key IT migration services since 2003 and is now the preferred provider to any Hostway customer that is seeking to move its computer infrastructure to the Hostway Azure-based cloud.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 216
Ovum, a leading technology analyst firm, has published an in-depth report, Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting a DevOps Release Management Solution, 2016–17. The report focuses on the automation aspects of DevOps, Release Management and compares solutions from the leading vendors.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,724
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,995
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 433
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,057
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,017
"We formed Formation several years ago to really address the need for bring complete modernization and software-defined storage to the more classic private cloud marketplace," stated Mark Lewis, Chairman and CEO of Formation Data Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,623
Deploying applications in hybrid cloud environments is hard work. Your team spends most of the time maintaining your infrastructure, configuring dev/test and production environments, and deploying applications across environments – which can be both time consuming and error prone. But what if you could automate provisioning and deployment to deliver error free environments faster? What could you do with your free time?
Jul. 27, 2016 09:17 AM EDT Reads: 186
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,129