|By Marketwired .||
|September 25, 2012 01:03 PM EDT||
TORONTO -- (Marketwire) -- 09/25/12 -- The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, all love a good travel story. Sharing travel experiences is the norm around the office. So the team decided to research and compile a list of Top 10 Unbelievable Tales of Travel featuring the wildest and most adventuresome true travel experiences out there.
Below are five travel tales to make Cheapflights.ca's list of Top 10 Unbelievable Tales of Travel from adventurers who eschewed motors during their exploits. Whether by on foot, by bike, under sail or on skis and sled, these amazing people demonstrated commitment, perseverance and the human spirit and will inspire you to see the world differently.
- Rob Gauntlett and James Hooper's 180-degree expedition - At 19 years old, Rob Gauntlett and James Hooper set out on a 26,000-mile journey, travelling from geomagnetic pole to geomagnetic pole using nothing but human and natural power. They managed to dog sled and ski across Greenland, board a sailboat to New York, bike 11,000 miles to the tip of South America, then sail in the middle of winter to Antarctica. With little funding and a lot of heart, they were able to accomplish the incredible travel feat in a little over a year.
- Rory Stewart's walk across Afghanistan - In 2002, shortly after the War in Afghanistan began, British politician and author Rory Stewart set out on foot across the north-central part of the country. During the dead of winter, Stewart faced mountainous regions, following the Hari River from Herat to Kabul through some of the most treacherous and isolated parts of the country. He finished his journey in 32 days, and has since published a critically acclaimed book about his journey, The Places in Between.
- Frank Muldowney's walk across Australia with an empty wheelchair - Seeing a man walk down the street pushing a bright orange empty wheelchair might make a few heads turn, but that didn't stop Frank Muldowney from completing his 4,000-mile journey from Perth to Sydney on foot. The wheelchair was supposed to be carrying Muldowney's friend "Harvey", an invisible symbol for peace. Muldowney deemed his Pilgrimage for Peace "Believing in Harvey", lasting from April 2006 until September 2007.
- The Vogels' bike ride along the Pan-American Highway - Sure it's rare, but there are couples out there who are adventurous enough to take on the 17,300 miles trek from Alaska to Argentina. But to do it with two young boys is another feat altogether. John and Nancy Vogel took off in June 2008 with their 10-year-old twin boys, Davy and Daryl, on an experience of a lifetime. Biking from the northern tip of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina, Davy and Daryl became the youngest people to bike the Pan-American Highway, completing it in two and a half years.
- Dave Kunst's expedition around the world on foot - The first verified man to walk around the globe, Dave Kunst, set out from Minnesota in June 1970 with his brother, John. With the help of several mules, the entire expedition took more than four years. Sadly, John was killed in a shooting in Afghanistan. Dave continued on after recovering from gunshot wounds suffered in the same incident, and later met his future wife Jenni, who drove alongside him in Australia while carrying his supplies. Kunst finished in 1974, and has since given inspirational speeches, even carrying the Olympic torch in the run-up to the 1996 Atlanta Games.
Rounding out our list of incredible travel legends are five who embraced a mix of transports, from trains to tractors, for their extreme journeys: Steven Shoppman and Stephen Bouey's drive around the world; Nellie Bly's unescorted tour of the world in under 80 days; Kinga Freespirit's hitchhike around the world; Michael Hodson's train adventure from Lisbon to Saigon; Manon Ossevoort's tractor ride from Europe to South Africa; and The Vogels' bike ride along the Pan-American Highway. To read more about these inspiring stories, check out Cheapflights.ca's complete list of Top 10 Incredible Tales of Travel, at www.cheapflights.ca/promos/top-10-unbelievable-tales-of-travel.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.ca. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2102774
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Feb. 19, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,235
In the first article of this three-part series on hybrid cloud security, we discussed the Shared Responsibility Model and examined how the most common attack strategies persist, are amplified, or are mitigated as assets move from data centers to the cloud. Today, we’ll look at some of the unique security challenges that are introduced by public cloud environments. While cloud computing delivers many operational, cost-saving and security benefits, it takes place in a public, shared and on-demand ...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 857
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sudarshan Krishnamurthi, a Senior Manager, Business Strategy, at Cisco Systems, will discuss how IT and operational technology (OT) work together, as opposed to being in separate siloes as once was traditional. Attendees will learn how to fully leverage the power of IoT in their organization by bringing the two sides together and bridging the communication gap. He will also look at what good leadership must entail in order to accomplish this, and how IT managers ca...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,023
In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Mike Johnston, an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io, will discuss how to use Kubernetes to setup a SaaS infrastructure for your business. Mike Johnston is an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io with over 12 years of experience designing, deploying, and maintaining server and workstation infrastructure at all scales. He has experience with brick and mortar data centers as well as cloud providers like Digital Ocean, Amazon Web Services, and Rackspace....
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,057
The financial services market is one of the most data-driven industries in the world, yet it’s bogged down by legacy CPU technologies that simply can’t keep up with the task of querying and visualizing billions of records. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jared Parker, Director of Financial Services at Kinetica, will discuss how the advent of advanced in-database analytics on the GPU makes it possible to run sophisticated data science workloads on the same database that is housing the rich inf...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 882
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 869
Providing the needed data for application development and testing is a huge headache for most organizations. The problems are often the same across companies - speed, quality, cost, and control. Provisioning data can take days or weeks, every time a refresh is required. Using dummy data leads to quality problems. Creating physical copies of large data sets and sending them to distributed teams of developers eats up expensive storage and bandwidth resources. And, all of these copies proliferating...
Feb. 19, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 4,773
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Feb. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 677
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Feb. 19, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 973
Wooed by the promise of faster innovation, lower TCO, and greater agility, businesses of every shape and size have embraced the cloud at every layer of the IT stack – from apps to file sharing to infrastructure. The typical organization currently uses more than a dozen sanctioned cloud apps and will shift more than half of all workloads to the cloud by 2018. Such cloud investments have delivered measurable benefits. But they’ve also resulted in some unintended side-effects: complexity and risk. ...
Feb. 19, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 594
Column Technologies exhibited at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a global technology solutions provider with over 400 employees, headquartered in the United States with offices in Canada, India, and the United Kingdom. Column Technologies provides “Best of Breed” technology solutions that automate the key DevOps principals and help our customers meet today’s DevOps and Dig...
Feb. 19, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 710
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Feb. 19, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 948
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann and Aruna Ravichandran have been named Co-Chairs of @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 19, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 750
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you...
Feb. 19, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 842
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Feb. 19, 2017 11:15 AM EST Reads: 1,650