|By PR Newswire||
|October 2, 2012 07:03 PM EDT||
HATFIELD, England, October 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Bial and Eisai today present information on new studies designed to increase the understanding of the use of Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate), a once-daily adjunctive therapy for adults with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation, at the 10th European Congress on Epileptology (ECE) in London.
These new data will be important as the successful treatment of partial-onset seizures remains a challenge, and up to a third of people with epilepsy do not achieve freedom from seizures despite appropriate therapy with anti-epileptic drugs.
Eslicarbazepine acetate in Partial-Onset Seizures study (EPOS)
Launched in March 2012, the Eslicarbazepine acetate in Partial-Onset Seizures (EPOS) study design presented here aims to provide a better understanding of the use of eslicarbazepine acetate in a clinical practice setting. EPOS is a prospective, multicentre, open-label, non-interventional study of adults with partial-onset seizures insufficiently controlled by monotherapy anti-epileptic treatment. The goal is to recruit approximately 800 patients from over 200 centres in Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden and the UK. The study primary endpoint will be 6-month retention rate and other assessments will include seizure frequency, adverse events and quality of life.
"The significant number of people with epilepsy who fail to achieve seizure control necessitates the need for on-going investigations in real life settings," commented Martin Holtkamp, EPOS Principal Investigator from the University Hospital Charité, Germany. "Our non-interventional study will increase our knowledge of eslicarbazepine acetate's efficacy and tolerability in routine practice when used to treat adults who are less refractory than those included in standard Phase III adjunctive therapy clinical trials. This will be very valuable information."
Eslicarbazepine acetate is currently licenced as an adjunctive treatment for adults with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisations (where the seizure extensively affects a patient's consciousness by spreading to both sides of the brain). It is not yet known whether eslicarbazepine acetate will demonstrate efficacy and tolerability if used as a monotherapy and in newly diagnosed patients. To address this question, also presented today is the design of a Phase III, double-dummy, active controlled, multinational non-inferiority monotherapy trial of eslicarbazepine acetate versus controlled-release carbamazepine in adults with partial-onset seizures.
This study will enrol newly diagnosed epilepsy patients ≥18 years of age with documented partial-onset seizures and randomise in a 1:1 ratio.
Paediatric patients sometimes require specific dosing regimens, and additional safety and tolerability evidence beyond that available for adult populations is required. Eslicarbazepine acetate, which does not have a paediatric licence, is currently under investigation in a paediatric patient population for adjunctive use in partial-onset seizures in Europe. The study aims to assess the efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive therapy in 252 children and adolescents (2 - 18 years old).
There are a further 16 posters presented within this congress, many of which examine the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic information pertaining to eslicarbazepine acetate.
"It is great to see so many studies presented here at the ECE. The abstracts which focus on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic information will also help doctors build up a much clearer picture of eslicarbazepine acetate," said Professor Eugen Trinka from the Department of Neurology, Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria.
Approved in Europe in 2009, Zebinix is currently available in Albania*, Austria, Czech Republic, Cyprus*, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Malta*, Norway, Portugal*, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Spain (co-promotion with BIAL, the developer of Zebinix®) and Wales.
*Exclusively by BIAL
Notes to Editors
Zebinix® is the EU trade name for eslicarbazepine acetate
Zebinix® is under license from BIAL
About epilepsy, partial-onset seizures and their treatment
Epilepsy is a chronic neurological disease characterised by abnormal discharges of neuronal activity causing seizures. Depending on the seizure type, seizures may be limited to one part of the body, or may be generalised to involve the whole body. Patients may also experience abnormal sensations, altered behaviour or altered consciousness. Epilepsy is a disorder with many possible causes. Often the cause of epilepsy is unknown. However, anything that disturbs the normal pattern of neuron activity - from illness to brain damage to tumours, can lead to seizures.
Epilepsy is characterised by abnormal firing of impulses from nerve cells in the brain. In partial-onset seizures, these bursts of electrical activity are initially focused in specific areas of the brain, but may become more generalised, the symptoms vary according to the affected areas.
Epilepsy is one of the world's most common neurological disorders, affecting more than six million people across Europe. With significant health care costs and economic impacts, uncontrolled seizures also increase the risk of psychological comorbidities, such as anxiety and depression.
About Zebinix®(eslicarbazepine acetate)
Eslicarbazepine acetate is a voltage-gated sodium channel blocker. It preferably targets the inactivated state of the sodium ion channel, preventing its return to the active state, and thereby reduces repetitive neuronal firing. Recent studies have also demonstrated that eslicarbazepine acetate effectively inhibits voltage-gated calcium channels, therefore enhancing its potential as an anti-epileptic agent. The efficacy of eslicarbazepine acetate was demonstrated in an initial proof-of-concept phase II study and three subsequent phase III randomised, placebo controlled studies in 1049 patients with refractory partial onset seizures.,,
The EU approval was based on data from a phase II and three phase III clinical trials.,,, Patients recruited in the phase III trials had a history of at least four partial seizures per month despite treatment between one to three concomitant anti-epileptic drugs.,,
During the trials, patients were randomised to various dosages of Zebinix® or placebo and after a 2-week titration period, were assessed over a 12-week maintenance period, with continued follow-up over a one year open-label period.,,,,,
Over the 12-week maintenance period, Zebinix® 800mg and 1200mg once-daily significantly reduced seizure frequency, and was significantly more effective than placebo.,,, Long-term safety and maintenance of therapeutic effect was demonstrated in one-year open-label extensions of these studies.,,
In the Phase III clinical trials adverse events mainly occurred during the first 6 weeks of treatment and the majority of patients experienced adverse events of mild to moderate intensity. After the initial 6 weeks of treatment there were no observed differences in the incidence of side effects between patients treated with Zebinix® and the placebo group. The most common treatment-emergent adverse events in the pivotal studies were dizziness, headache and somnolence.
Eisai Europe Limited (Headquarters: London, President & CEO: Gary Hendler), a European subsidiary of Eisai Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Tokyo, President & CEO: Haruo Naito), announced in February 2009 that it had entered into a license and co-promotion agreement with BIAL - Portela & Cª, S.A. (Headquarters: São. Mamede do Coronado, Portugal, Chairman: Luís Portela & CEO: António Portela, "BIAL"), which gave Eisai Europe Limited rights to sell BIAL's anti-epileptic drug Zebinix®(eslicarbazepine acetate) in Europe.
About Eisai Europe in Epilepsy:
Eisai is committed to developing and delivering highly beneficial new treatments to help improve the lives of people with epilepsy. The development of AEDs is a major strategic area for Eisai in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia (EMEA).
In the EMEA region, Eisai currently has four marketed treatments including:
- Zonegran® (zonisamide) as monotherapy and adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation. (Zonegran is under license from the originator Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma)
- Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate) as adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation. (Zebinix is under license from BIAL)
- Inovelon® (rufinamide) for the adjunctive treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome in patients >4 years
- Fycompa® (perampanel) for use as an adjunctive treatment for partial onset seizures, with or without secondarily generalised seizures, in patients with epilepsy aged 12 years and older
Eisai recently expanded their UK Hatfield commercial, research and manufacturing facility which now supports the company's growing EMEA business.
Eisai concentrates its R&D activities in three key areas:
- Neuroscience, including: Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, pain and weight loss
- Oncology including: anticancer therapies; tumour regression, tumour suppression, antibodies, etc
- Vascular/Immunological reaction including: thrombocytopenia, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease
With operations in the U.S., Asia, Europe and its domestic home market of Japan, Eisai employs more than 11,000 people worldwide. In Europe, Eisai undertakes sales and marketing operations in over 20 markets, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Portugal, Iceland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Middle East and Russia.
For further information please visit our web site http://www.eisai.com.
Founded in 1924, BIAL is an international pharmaceutical group with products available in more than 50 countries throughout four continents. BIAL is a privately held Portuguese research based pharmaceutical company and the largest Portuguese pharmaceutical company, based in S. Mamede do Coronado, Portugal, responsible for the research and development of eslicarbazepine acetate (Zebinix®).
It is the partner of choice for many pharma companies, having a strong presence in the Iberian Peninsula as well as in over 10 countries in Latin America and in around 20 French or Portuguese speaking African countries.
BIAL is strongly committed to therapeutic innovation investing more than 20% of its turnover in research and development every year. Key research areas for BIAL are the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system and allergen immunotherapy. BIAL currently has several other innovative programs under development, which the company expects to bring to the market within the next years, thereby strengthening its position throughout Europe.
Further information about BIAL can be found at http://www.bial.com
1. Summary of Product Characteristics Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate)(updated November 2011)
2. Kwan P, Brodie MJ. Early identification of refractory epilepsy. New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 342:314-9
3. Holtkamp et al. Design of the EPOS Study. An Open Label Multicentre, Non-Interventional Study to Evaluate Eslicarbazepine Acetate as Adjunctive Treatment to One Baseline Antiepileptic Drud in Adults with Partial Onset seizures. ECE 2012 abstract p665
4. J. Moreira et al. Design of a Phase III, double-dummy, active-controlled, multi-national non-inferiority monotherapy trial of eslicarbazepine acetate versus controlled-release carbamazepine in adults with partial-onset seizures. Abstract ECE 2012 (p415).
5. F. Mota et al. A clinical study method used to evaluate the efficacy and safety of novel antiepileptic drug eslicarbazepine acetate in epileptic children with partial-onset seizures. Abstract ECE 2012 (p175).
6. Epilepsy Research UK. What is Epilepsy? Fact sheet.: http://www.epilepsyresearch.org.uk/about_us/leaflets/lflt1.htm (accessed March 2012)
7. Epilepsy Action. Describing Seizure Types. http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seizures/ataglance (Accessed March 2012)
8. NHS Choices. Symptoms of Epilepsy. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Epilepsy/Pages/Symptoms.aspx (Accessed March 2012)
9. Epilepsy must become a higher priority in Europe. The Lancet Neurology. 2010 Oct; 9(10): 941
10. Pugliatti M et al. Estimating the cost of epilepsy in Europe: A review with economic modelling. Epilepsia 2007: 48(12) 2224 - 2233.
11. Titlic, M. Basic, S. Hajnek, S. Comorbidity psychiatric disorders in epilepsy: a review of literature. Bratisl Lek Listy (Bratislava Medical Journal) 2009; 110 (2): 105 - 109
12. Almeida L, Soares-da-Silva P. Eslicarbazepine acetate (BIA 2-093). Neurotherapeutics. 2007 Jan;4(1):88-96
13. Brady K et al. The effects of Eslicarbazepine, R-Licarbazepine, Oxcarbazepine and Carbamazepine on ion transmission through Cav3.2 channels. Abstract presented at International Epilepsy Congress 2011 p858.
14. Elger et al. Eslicarbazepine Acetate: A Double-blind, Add-on Placebo-controlled Exploratory Trial in Adult Patients with Partial-onset seizures. Epilepsia, 48(3):497-504, 2007
15. Elger C, Halász P, Maia J et al. Efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive treatment in adults with refractory partial-onset seizures: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group phase III study. Epilepsia 2009; 50(3):454-463
16. Ben-Menachem E, Gabbai A, Hufnagel A, Maia J, Almeida L, Soares-da-Silver P. Eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial epilepsy; Epilepsy Research 2010;89:278-285.
17. Gil-Nagel A, Lopes-Lima J, Maia J et al. Efficacy and safety of 800 and 1200 mg eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive treatment in adults with refractory partial-onset seizures. Acta Neurol Scand 2009: 120: 281-287
18. Halász P, Elger C, Guekht A, et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate: Results of a 1-year open-label extension study in partial-onset seizures in adults with epilepsy. Epilepsia, 51(10):1963-1969, 2010
19. Gabbai A, Ben-Menachem E, Maia J, et al. Long-term treatment of partial epilepsy with eslicarbazepine acetate (ESL): results of a one-year open-label extension of study BIA-2093- 302 (Abstract No. 3.208). Epilepsia. 2008;49(Suppl. 7):432-3
20. Lopes-Lima J, Gil-Nagel A, Maia J, et al. Long-term treatment of partial epilepsy with eslicarbazepine acetate (ESL): results of a one-year open-label extension of study BIA-2093-303 (Abstract No. 3.227). Epilepsia. 2008;49(Suppl. 7):441-2.
Date of preparation: September 2012
Job code: Zebinix-UK2255
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Oct. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,874
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,380
SYS-CON Events announced today that Impiger Technologies will exhibit in Booth #109 at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Impiger Technologies is a world-class, enterprise software product engineering company specializing in Mobile Application Development, Cloud Applications, Microsoft Technology Solutions, Web Technology and Telecom Services. Impiger Technologies helps enterprises improve busi...
Oct. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 426
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,249
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,018
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,021
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,219
Digitization is driving a fundamental change in society that is transforming the way businesses work with their customers, their supply chains and their people. Digital transformation leverages DevOps best practices, such as Agile Parallel Development, Continuous Delivery and Agile Operations to capitalize on opportunities and create competitive differentiation in the application economy. However, information security has been notably absent from the DevOps movement. Speed doesn’t have to negat...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,950
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, the leading provider of modern development tools and best practices for Continuous Integration on OpenVMS, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware products and development tools that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,698
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,719
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,180
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 8,655
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 753
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,725
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,419