|By PR Newswire||
|October 2, 2012 07:03 PM EDT||
HATFIELD, England, October 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Bial and Eisai today present information on new studies designed to increase the understanding of the use of Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate), a once-daily adjunctive therapy for adults with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation, at the 10th European Congress on Epileptology (ECE) in London.
These new data will be important as the successful treatment of partial-onset seizures remains a challenge, and up to a third of people with epilepsy do not achieve freedom from seizures despite appropriate therapy with anti-epileptic drugs.
Eslicarbazepine acetate in Partial-Onset Seizures study (EPOS)
Launched in March 2012, the Eslicarbazepine acetate in Partial-Onset Seizures (EPOS) study design presented here aims to provide a better understanding of the use of eslicarbazepine acetate in a clinical practice setting. EPOS is a prospective, multicentre, open-label, non-interventional study of adults with partial-onset seizures insufficiently controlled by monotherapy anti-epileptic treatment. The goal is to recruit approximately 800 patients from over 200 centres in Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden and the UK. The study primary endpoint will be 6-month retention rate and other assessments will include seizure frequency, adverse events and quality of life.
"The significant number of people with epilepsy who fail to achieve seizure control necessitates the need for on-going investigations in real life settings," commented Martin Holtkamp, EPOS Principal Investigator from the University Hospital Charité, Germany. "Our non-interventional study will increase our knowledge of eslicarbazepine acetate's efficacy and tolerability in routine practice when used to treat adults who are less refractory than those included in standard Phase III adjunctive therapy clinical trials. This will be very valuable information."
Eslicarbazepine acetate is currently licenced as an adjunctive treatment for adults with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisations (where the seizure extensively affects a patient's consciousness by spreading to both sides of the brain). It is not yet known whether eslicarbazepine acetate will demonstrate efficacy and tolerability if used as a monotherapy and in newly diagnosed patients. To address this question, also presented today is the design of a Phase III, double-dummy, active controlled, multinational non-inferiority monotherapy trial of eslicarbazepine acetate versus controlled-release carbamazepine in adults with partial-onset seizures.
This study will enrol newly diagnosed epilepsy patients ≥18 years of age with documented partial-onset seizures and randomise in a 1:1 ratio.
Paediatric patients sometimes require specific dosing regimens, and additional safety and tolerability evidence beyond that available for adult populations is required. Eslicarbazepine acetate, which does not have a paediatric licence, is currently under investigation in a paediatric patient population for adjunctive use in partial-onset seizures in Europe. The study aims to assess the efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive therapy in 252 children and adolescents (2 - 18 years old).
There are a further 16 posters presented within this congress, many of which examine the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic information pertaining to eslicarbazepine acetate.
"It is great to see so many studies presented here at the ECE. The abstracts which focus on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic information will also help doctors build up a much clearer picture of eslicarbazepine acetate," said Professor Eugen Trinka from the Department of Neurology, Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria.
Approved in Europe in 2009, Zebinix is currently available in Albania*, Austria, Czech Republic, Cyprus*, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Malta*, Norway, Portugal*, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Spain (co-promotion with BIAL, the developer of Zebinix®) and Wales.
*Exclusively by BIAL
Notes to Editors
Zebinix® is the EU trade name for eslicarbazepine acetate
Zebinix® is under license from BIAL
About epilepsy, partial-onset seizures and their treatment
Epilepsy is a chronic neurological disease characterised by abnormal discharges of neuronal activity causing seizures. Depending on the seizure type, seizures may be limited to one part of the body, or may be generalised to involve the whole body. Patients may also experience abnormal sensations, altered behaviour or altered consciousness. Epilepsy is a disorder with many possible causes. Often the cause of epilepsy is unknown. However, anything that disturbs the normal pattern of neuron activity - from illness to brain damage to tumours, can lead to seizures.
Epilepsy is characterised by abnormal firing of impulses from nerve cells in the brain. In partial-onset seizures, these bursts of electrical activity are initially focused in specific areas of the brain, but may become more generalised, the symptoms vary according to the affected areas.
Epilepsy is one of the world's most common neurological disorders, affecting more than six million people across Europe. With significant health care costs and economic impacts, uncontrolled seizures also increase the risk of psychological comorbidities, such as anxiety and depression.
About Zebinix®(eslicarbazepine acetate)
Eslicarbazepine acetate is a voltage-gated sodium channel blocker. It preferably targets the inactivated state of the sodium ion channel, preventing its return to the active state, and thereby reduces repetitive neuronal firing. Recent studies have also demonstrated that eslicarbazepine acetate effectively inhibits voltage-gated calcium channels, therefore enhancing its potential as an anti-epileptic agent. The efficacy of eslicarbazepine acetate was demonstrated in an initial proof-of-concept phase II study and three subsequent phase III randomised, placebo controlled studies in 1049 patients with refractory partial onset seizures.,,
The EU approval was based on data from a phase II and three phase III clinical trials.,,, Patients recruited in the phase III trials had a history of at least four partial seizures per month despite treatment between one to three concomitant anti-epileptic drugs.,,
During the trials, patients were randomised to various dosages of Zebinix® or placebo and after a 2-week titration period, were assessed over a 12-week maintenance period, with continued follow-up over a one year open-label period.,,,,,
Over the 12-week maintenance period, Zebinix® 800mg and 1200mg once-daily significantly reduced seizure frequency, and was significantly more effective than placebo.,,, Long-term safety and maintenance of therapeutic effect was demonstrated in one-year open-label extensions of these studies.,,
In the Phase III clinical trials adverse events mainly occurred during the first 6 weeks of treatment and the majority of patients experienced adverse events of mild to moderate intensity. After the initial 6 weeks of treatment there were no observed differences in the incidence of side effects between patients treated with Zebinix® and the placebo group. The most common treatment-emergent adverse events in the pivotal studies were dizziness, headache and somnolence.
Eisai Europe Limited (Headquarters: London, President & CEO: Gary Hendler), a European subsidiary of Eisai Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Tokyo, President & CEO: Haruo Naito), announced in February 2009 that it had entered into a license and co-promotion agreement with BIAL - Portela & Cª, S.A. (Headquarters: São. Mamede do Coronado, Portugal, Chairman: Luís Portela & CEO: António Portela, "BIAL"), which gave Eisai Europe Limited rights to sell BIAL's anti-epileptic drug Zebinix®(eslicarbazepine acetate) in Europe.
About Eisai Europe in Epilepsy:
Eisai is committed to developing and delivering highly beneficial new treatments to help improve the lives of people with epilepsy. The development of AEDs is a major strategic area for Eisai in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia (EMEA).
In the EMEA region, Eisai currently has four marketed treatments including:
- Zonegran® (zonisamide) as monotherapy and adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation. (Zonegran is under license from the originator Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma)
- Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate) as adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation. (Zebinix is under license from BIAL)
- Inovelon® (rufinamide) for the adjunctive treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome in patients >4 years
- Fycompa® (perampanel) for use as an adjunctive treatment for partial onset seizures, with or without secondarily generalised seizures, in patients with epilepsy aged 12 years and older
Eisai recently expanded their UK Hatfield commercial, research and manufacturing facility which now supports the company's growing EMEA business.
Eisai concentrates its R&D activities in three key areas:
- Neuroscience, including: Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, pain and weight loss
- Oncology including: anticancer therapies; tumour regression, tumour suppression, antibodies, etc
- Vascular/Immunological reaction including: thrombocytopenia, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease
With operations in the U.S., Asia, Europe and its domestic home market of Japan, Eisai employs more than 11,000 people worldwide. In Europe, Eisai undertakes sales and marketing operations in over 20 markets, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Portugal, Iceland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Middle East and Russia.
For further information please visit our web site http://www.eisai.com.
Founded in 1924, BIAL is an international pharmaceutical group with products available in more than 50 countries throughout four continents. BIAL is a privately held Portuguese research based pharmaceutical company and the largest Portuguese pharmaceutical company, based in S. Mamede do Coronado, Portugal, responsible for the research and development of eslicarbazepine acetate (Zebinix®).
It is the partner of choice for many pharma companies, having a strong presence in the Iberian Peninsula as well as in over 10 countries in Latin America and in around 20 French or Portuguese speaking African countries.
BIAL is strongly committed to therapeutic innovation investing more than 20% of its turnover in research and development every year. Key research areas for BIAL are the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system and allergen immunotherapy. BIAL currently has several other innovative programs under development, which the company expects to bring to the market within the next years, thereby strengthening its position throughout Europe.
Further information about BIAL can be found at http://www.bial.com
1. Summary of Product Characteristics Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate)(updated November 2011)
2. Kwan P, Brodie MJ. Early identification of refractory epilepsy. New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 342:314-9
3. Holtkamp et al. Design of the EPOS Study. An Open Label Multicentre, Non-Interventional Study to Evaluate Eslicarbazepine Acetate as Adjunctive Treatment to One Baseline Antiepileptic Drud in Adults with Partial Onset seizures. ECE 2012 abstract p665
4. J. Moreira et al. Design of a Phase III, double-dummy, active-controlled, multi-national non-inferiority monotherapy trial of eslicarbazepine acetate versus controlled-release carbamazepine in adults with partial-onset seizures. Abstract ECE 2012 (p415).
5. F. Mota et al. A clinical study method used to evaluate the efficacy and safety of novel antiepileptic drug eslicarbazepine acetate in epileptic children with partial-onset seizures. Abstract ECE 2012 (p175).
6. Epilepsy Research UK. What is Epilepsy? Fact sheet.: http://www.epilepsyresearch.org.uk/about_us/leaflets/lflt1.htm (accessed March 2012)
7. Epilepsy Action. Describing Seizure Types. http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seizures/ataglance (Accessed March 2012)
8. NHS Choices. Symptoms of Epilepsy. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Epilepsy/Pages/Symptoms.aspx (Accessed March 2012)
9. Epilepsy must become a higher priority in Europe. The Lancet Neurology. 2010 Oct; 9(10): 941
10. Pugliatti M et al. Estimating the cost of epilepsy in Europe: A review with economic modelling. Epilepsia 2007: 48(12) 2224 - 2233.
11. Titlic, M. Basic, S. Hajnek, S. Comorbidity psychiatric disorders in epilepsy: a review of literature. Bratisl Lek Listy (Bratislava Medical Journal) 2009; 110 (2): 105 - 109
12. Almeida L, Soares-da-Silva P. Eslicarbazepine acetate (BIA 2-093). Neurotherapeutics. 2007 Jan;4(1):88-96
13. Brady K et al. The effects of Eslicarbazepine, R-Licarbazepine, Oxcarbazepine and Carbamazepine on ion transmission through Cav3.2 channels. Abstract presented at International Epilepsy Congress 2011 p858.
14. Elger et al. Eslicarbazepine Acetate: A Double-blind, Add-on Placebo-controlled Exploratory Trial in Adult Patients with Partial-onset seizures. Epilepsia, 48(3):497-504, 2007
15. Elger C, Halász P, Maia J et al. Efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive treatment in adults with refractory partial-onset seizures: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group phase III study. Epilepsia 2009; 50(3):454-463
16. Ben-Menachem E, Gabbai A, Hufnagel A, Maia J, Almeida L, Soares-da-Silver P. Eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial epilepsy; Epilepsy Research 2010;89:278-285.
17. Gil-Nagel A, Lopes-Lima J, Maia J et al. Efficacy and safety of 800 and 1200 mg eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive treatment in adults with refractory partial-onset seizures. Acta Neurol Scand 2009: 120: 281-287
18. Halász P, Elger C, Guekht A, et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate: Results of a 1-year open-label extension study in partial-onset seizures in adults with epilepsy. Epilepsia, 51(10):1963-1969, 2010
19. Gabbai A, Ben-Menachem E, Maia J, et al. Long-term treatment of partial epilepsy with eslicarbazepine acetate (ESL): results of a one-year open-label extension of study BIA-2093- 302 (Abstract No. 3.208). Epilepsia. 2008;49(Suppl. 7):432-3
20. Lopes-Lima J, Gil-Nagel A, Maia J, et al. Long-term treatment of partial epilepsy with eslicarbazepine acetate (ESL): results of a one-year open-label extension of study BIA-2093-303 (Abstract No. 3.227). Epilepsia. 2008;49(Suppl. 7):441-2.
Date of preparation: September 2012
Job code: Zebinix-UK2255
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 13, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 255
Data-as-a-Service is the complete package for the transformation of raw data into meaningful data assets and the delivery of those data assets. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lakshmi Randall, an industry expert, analyst and strategist, will address: What is DaaS (Data-as-a-Service)? Challenges addressed by DaaS Vendors that are enabling DaaS Architecture options for DaaS
Feb. 13, 2016 08:45 PM EST Reads: 398
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 13, 2016 08:00 PM EST Reads: 147
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 13, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 417
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 13, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 206
CIOs and those charged with running IT Operations are challenged to deliver secure, audited, and reliable compute environments for the applications and data for the business. Behind the scenes these tasks are often accomplished by following onerous time-consuming processes and often the management of these environments and processes will be outsourced to multiple IT service providers. In addition, the division of work is often siloed into traditional "towers" that are not well integrated for cro...
Feb. 13, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 513
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Feb. 13, 2016 02:30 PM EST
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 13, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 259
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 13, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 148
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 13, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 287
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 473
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 474
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a global technology solutions provider with over 400 employees, headquartered in the United States with offices in Canada, India, and the United Kingdom. Column Technologies provides “Best of Breed” technology solutions that automate the key DevOps principal...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 452
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST