|By PR Newswire||
|October 2, 2012 07:03 PM EDT||
HATFIELD, England, October 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Bial and Eisai today present information on new studies designed to increase the understanding of the use of Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate), a once-daily adjunctive therapy for adults with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation, at the 10th European Congress on Epileptology (ECE) in London.
These new data will be important as the successful treatment of partial-onset seizures remains a challenge, and up to a third of people with epilepsy do not achieve freedom from seizures despite appropriate therapy with anti-epileptic drugs.
Eslicarbazepine acetate in Partial-Onset Seizures study (EPOS)
Launched in March 2012, the Eslicarbazepine acetate in Partial-Onset Seizures (EPOS) study design presented here aims to provide a better understanding of the use of eslicarbazepine acetate in a clinical practice setting. EPOS is a prospective, multicentre, open-label, non-interventional study of adults with partial-onset seizures insufficiently controlled by monotherapy anti-epileptic treatment. The goal is to recruit approximately 800 patients from over 200 centres in Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden and the UK. The study primary endpoint will be 6-month retention rate and other assessments will include seizure frequency, adverse events and quality of life.
"The significant number of people with epilepsy who fail to achieve seizure control necessitates the need for on-going investigations in real life settings," commented Martin Holtkamp, EPOS Principal Investigator from the University Hospital Charité, Germany. "Our non-interventional study will increase our knowledge of eslicarbazepine acetate's efficacy and tolerability in routine practice when used to treat adults who are less refractory than those included in standard Phase III adjunctive therapy clinical trials. This will be very valuable information."
Eslicarbazepine acetate is currently licenced as an adjunctive treatment for adults with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisations (where the seizure extensively affects a patient's consciousness by spreading to both sides of the brain). It is not yet known whether eslicarbazepine acetate will demonstrate efficacy and tolerability if used as a monotherapy and in newly diagnosed patients. To address this question, also presented today is the design of a Phase III, double-dummy, active controlled, multinational non-inferiority monotherapy trial of eslicarbazepine acetate versus controlled-release carbamazepine in adults with partial-onset seizures.
This study will enrol newly diagnosed epilepsy patients ≥18 years of age with documented partial-onset seizures and randomise in a 1:1 ratio.
Paediatric patients sometimes require specific dosing regimens, and additional safety and tolerability evidence beyond that available for adult populations is required. Eslicarbazepine acetate, which does not have a paediatric licence, is currently under investigation in a paediatric patient population for adjunctive use in partial-onset seizures in Europe. The study aims to assess the efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive therapy in 252 children and adolescents (2 - 18 years old).
There are a further 16 posters presented within this congress, many of which examine the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic information pertaining to eslicarbazepine acetate.
"It is great to see so many studies presented here at the ECE. The abstracts which focus on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic information will also help doctors build up a much clearer picture of eslicarbazepine acetate," said Professor Eugen Trinka from the Department of Neurology, Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria.
Approved in Europe in 2009, Zebinix is currently available in Albania*, Austria, Czech Republic, Cyprus*, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Malta*, Norway, Portugal*, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Spain (co-promotion with BIAL, the developer of Zebinix®) and Wales.
*Exclusively by BIAL
Notes to Editors
Zebinix® is the EU trade name for eslicarbazepine acetate
Zebinix® is under license from BIAL
About epilepsy, partial-onset seizures and their treatment
Epilepsy is a chronic neurological disease characterised by abnormal discharges of neuronal activity causing seizures. Depending on the seizure type, seizures may be limited to one part of the body, or may be generalised to involve the whole body. Patients may also experience abnormal sensations, altered behaviour or altered consciousness. Epilepsy is a disorder with many possible causes. Often the cause of epilepsy is unknown. However, anything that disturbs the normal pattern of neuron activity - from illness to brain damage to tumours, can lead to seizures.
Epilepsy is characterised by abnormal firing of impulses from nerve cells in the brain. In partial-onset seizures, these bursts of electrical activity are initially focused in specific areas of the brain, but may become more generalised, the symptoms vary according to the affected areas.
Epilepsy is one of the world's most common neurological disorders, affecting more than six million people across Europe. With significant health care costs and economic impacts, uncontrolled seizures also increase the risk of psychological comorbidities, such as anxiety and depression.
About Zebinix®(eslicarbazepine acetate)
Eslicarbazepine acetate is a voltage-gated sodium channel blocker. It preferably targets the inactivated state of the sodium ion channel, preventing its return to the active state, and thereby reduces repetitive neuronal firing. Recent studies have also demonstrated that eslicarbazepine acetate effectively inhibits voltage-gated calcium channels, therefore enhancing its potential as an anti-epileptic agent. The efficacy of eslicarbazepine acetate was demonstrated in an initial proof-of-concept phase II study and three subsequent phase III randomised, placebo controlled studies in 1049 patients with refractory partial onset seizures.,,
The EU approval was based on data from a phase II and three phase III clinical trials.,,, Patients recruited in the phase III trials had a history of at least four partial seizures per month despite treatment between one to three concomitant anti-epileptic drugs.,,
During the trials, patients were randomised to various dosages of Zebinix® or placebo and after a 2-week titration period, were assessed over a 12-week maintenance period, with continued follow-up over a one year open-label period.,,,,,
Over the 12-week maintenance period, Zebinix® 800mg and 1200mg once-daily significantly reduced seizure frequency, and was significantly more effective than placebo.,,, Long-term safety and maintenance of therapeutic effect was demonstrated in one-year open-label extensions of these studies.,,
In the Phase III clinical trials adverse events mainly occurred during the first 6 weeks of treatment and the majority of patients experienced adverse events of mild to moderate intensity. After the initial 6 weeks of treatment there were no observed differences in the incidence of side effects between patients treated with Zebinix® and the placebo group. The most common treatment-emergent adverse events in the pivotal studies were dizziness, headache and somnolence.
Eisai Europe Limited (Headquarters: London, President & CEO: Gary Hendler), a European subsidiary of Eisai Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Tokyo, President & CEO: Haruo Naito), announced in February 2009 that it had entered into a license and co-promotion agreement with BIAL - Portela & Cª, S.A. (Headquarters: São. Mamede do Coronado, Portugal, Chairman: Luís Portela & CEO: António Portela, "BIAL"), which gave Eisai Europe Limited rights to sell BIAL's anti-epileptic drug Zebinix®(eslicarbazepine acetate) in Europe.
About Eisai Europe in Epilepsy:
Eisai is committed to developing and delivering highly beneficial new treatments to help improve the lives of people with epilepsy. The development of AEDs is a major strategic area for Eisai in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia (EMEA).
In the EMEA region, Eisai currently has four marketed treatments including:
- Zonegran® (zonisamide) as monotherapy and adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation. (Zonegran is under license from the originator Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma)
- Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate) as adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial-onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation. (Zebinix is under license from BIAL)
- Inovelon® (rufinamide) for the adjunctive treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome in patients >4 years
- Fycompa® (perampanel) for use as an adjunctive treatment for partial onset seizures, with or without secondarily generalised seizures, in patients with epilepsy aged 12 years and older
Eisai recently expanded their UK Hatfield commercial, research and manufacturing facility which now supports the company's growing EMEA business.
Eisai concentrates its R&D activities in three key areas:
- Neuroscience, including: Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, pain and weight loss
- Oncology including: anticancer therapies; tumour regression, tumour suppression, antibodies, etc
- Vascular/Immunological reaction including: thrombocytopenia, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease
With operations in the U.S., Asia, Europe and its domestic home market of Japan, Eisai employs more than 11,000 people worldwide. In Europe, Eisai undertakes sales and marketing operations in over 20 markets, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Portugal, Iceland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Middle East and Russia.
For further information please visit our web site http://www.eisai.com.
Founded in 1924, BIAL is an international pharmaceutical group with products available in more than 50 countries throughout four continents. BIAL is a privately held Portuguese research based pharmaceutical company and the largest Portuguese pharmaceutical company, based in S. Mamede do Coronado, Portugal, responsible for the research and development of eslicarbazepine acetate (Zebinix®).
It is the partner of choice for many pharma companies, having a strong presence in the Iberian Peninsula as well as in over 10 countries in Latin America and in around 20 French or Portuguese speaking African countries.
BIAL is strongly committed to therapeutic innovation investing more than 20% of its turnover in research and development every year. Key research areas for BIAL are the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system and allergen immunotherapy. BIAL currently has several other innovative programs under development, which the company expects to bring to the market within the next years, thereby strengthening its position throughout Europe.
Further information about BIAL can be found at http://www.bial.com
1. Summary of Product Characteristics Zebinix® (eslicarbazepine acetate)(updated November 2011)
2. Kwan P, Brodie MJ. Early identification of refractory epilepsy. New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 342:314-9
3. Holtkamp et al. Design of the EPOS Study. An Open Label Multicentre, Non-Interventional Study to Evaluate Eslicarbazepine Acetate as Adjunctive Treatment to One Baseline Antiepileptic Drud in Adults with Partial Onset seizures. ECE 2012 abstract p665
4. J. Moreira et al. Design of a Phase III, double-dummy, active-controlled, multi-national non-inferiority monotherapy trial of eslicarbazepine acetate versus controlled-release carbamazepine in adults with partial-onset seizures. Abstract ECE 2012 (p415).
5. F. Mota et al. A clinical study method used to evaluate the efficacy and safety of novel antiepileptic drug eslicarbazepine acetate in epileptic children with partial-onset seizures. Abstract ECE 2012 (p175).
6. Epilepsy Research UK. What is Epilepsy? Fact sheet.: http://www.epilepsyresearch.org.uk/about_us/leaflets/lflt1.htm (accessed March 2012)
7. Epilepsy Action. Describing Seizure Types. http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seizures/ataglance (Accessed March 2012)
8. NHS Choices. Symptoms of Epilepsy. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Epilepsy/Pages/Symptoms.aspx (Accessed March 2012)
9. Epilepsy must become a higher priority in Europe. The Lancet Neurology. 2010 Oct; 9(10): 941
10. Pugliatti M et al. Estimating the cost of epilepsy in Europe: A review with economic modelling. Epilepsia 2007: 48(12) 2224 - 2233.
11. Titlic, M. Basic, S. Hajnek, S. Comorbidity psychiatric disorders in epilepsy: a review of literature. Bratisl Lek Listy (Bratislava Medical Journal) 2009; 110 (2): 105 - 109
12. Almeida L, Soares-da-Silva P. Eslicarbazepine acetate (BIA 2-093). Neurotherapeutics. 2007 Jan;4(1):88-96
13. Brady K et al. The effects of Eslicarbazepine, R-Licarbazepine, Oxcarbazepine and Carbamazepine on ion transmission through Cav3.2 channels. Abstract presented at International Epilepsy Congress 2011 p858.
14. Elger et al. Eslicarbazepine Acetate: A Double-blind, Add-on Placebo-controlled Exploratory Trial in Adult Patients with Partial-onset seizures. Epilepsia, 48(3):497-504, 2007
15. Elger C, Halász P, Maia J et al. Efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive treatment in adults with refractory partial-onset seizures: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group phase III study. Epilepsia 2009; 50(3):454-463
16. Ben-Menachem E, Gabbai A, Hufnagel A, Maia J, Almeida L, Soares-da-Silver P. Eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive therapy in adult patients with partial epilepsy; Epilepsy Research 2010;89:278-285.
17. Gil-Nagel A, Lopes-Lima J, Maia J et al. Efficacy and safety of 800 and 1200 mg eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive treatment in adults with refractory partial-onset seizures. Acta Neurol Scand 2009: 120: 281-287
18. Halász P, Elger C, Guekht A, et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate: Results of a 1-year open-label extension study in partial-onset seizures in adults with epilepsy. Epilepsia, 51(10):1963-1969, 2010
19. Gabbai A, Ben-Menachem E, Maia J, et al. Long-term treatment of partial epilepsy with eslicarbazepine acetate (ESL): results of a one-year open-label extension of study BIA-2093- 302 (Abstract No. 3.208). Epilepsia. 2008;49(Suppl. 7):432-3
20. Lopes-Lima J, Gil-Nagel A, Maia J, et al. Long-term treatment of partial epilepsy with eslicarbazepine acetate (ESL): results of a one-year open-label extension of study BIA-2093-303 (Abstract No. 3.227). Epilepsia. 2008;49(Suppl. 7):441-2.
Date of preparation: September 2012
Job code: Zebinix-UK2255
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 30, 2017 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,442
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 30, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,465
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 30, 2017 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,746
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Apr. 30, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,466
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Apr. 30, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,757
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 30, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,618
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 30, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,430
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 30, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,759
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 30, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,487
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 30, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 777
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 30, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,662
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 30, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,828
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 30, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,530
Cybersecurity is a critical component of software development in many industries including medical devices. However, code is not always written to be robust or secure from the unknown or the unexpected. This gap can make medical devices susceptible to cybersecurity attacks ranging from compromised personal health information to life-sustaining treatment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Fortney, Software Engineer at Battelle, will discuss how programming oversight using key methods can incre...
Apr. 30, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,233
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 30, 2017 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,659