|By Marketwired .||
|October 12, 2012 08:00 AM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/12/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Recognizing the innovative solutions and business achievements of its customers, Oracle today announced the recipients of its 2012 Oil and Gas Industry Excellence Awards, presented last week at Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco.
- The awards recognize the achievements of an oil and gas company from each of the industry's six sectors:
- Exploration and Production - Southwestern Energy (SWN)
- National Oil Company - Abu Dhabi Company for Onshore Oil Operations (ADCO)
- Oilfield Services and Equipment Providers - National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NOV)
- Drilling Company (Offshore) - Transocean
- Midstream (Pipeline) - Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Downstream - ADNOC Distribution
Exploration and Production - Southwestern Energy
- Southwestern Energy, an independent energy company, involved in the exploration, development and production of natural gas and crude oil in North America, replaced its aging customized and siloed systems with an integrated Oracle platform.
- It transformed its business processes to operate as a world-class, entrepreneurial exploration and production organization and gained the ability to effectively integrate future acquisitions and expansion of existing operations.
- With Oracle's integrated global platform for enterprise resource management, upstream, human resources, business intelligence and financial planning, SWN has created a single source of truth for master data elements, including well sites, leases/contracts, suppliers, customers and employees. It also has streamlined compliance with internal and external audit and regulatory requirements and has significantly reduced its information technology (IT) budget thanks to a simplified and unified business intelligence infrastructure built on Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Oracle Business Intelligence Applications, Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle WebCenter Portal, Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalogic.
National Oil Company - ADCO
- ADCO, which operates onshore and in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi's shallow coastal water, was facing significant data management challenges, including corporate data governance, corporate performance management and business intelligence hurdles. In addition ADCO wanted to capture and analyze exploration and production information in real time to manage its corporate data on a single platform with common definitions and standards.
- To improve operational efficiency, the company developed an Oracle based Master Data Management solution in conjunction with the Professional Petroleum Data Management (PPDM) data model to be hosted on Oracle Exadata Database Machine as part of the company's high-performance data management solution. ADCO now has the foundation for a single data access gateway to provide a holistic view of drilling and production information and greater control for In/Out data delivery. Oracle's solutions have empowered ADCO to realize its goal for a single source of business information.
Oil Field Services and Equipment Provider - National Oilwell Varco (NOV)
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV), which provides equipment and components used in oil and gas drilling and production operations, oilfield services and supply chain integration services to the upstream oil and gas industry, looked to standardize its business processes as it continued to expand rapidly.
- The Rig Technology Division has standardized on the Oracle E-Business Suite. The division relies on Oracle Managed Cloud Services to provide hosting, management, disaster recovery and governance risk and compliance helping to manage corporate and financial risk.
- The Rig Technology Division manages its global supply chain using Oracle's manufacturing and supply chain planning applications including Oracle's Demantra and Oracle Advanced Supply Chain Planning -- which are also delivered via Oracle Managed Cloud Services. The division also has deployed Oracle Manufacturing Execution System and Oracle Mobile Supply Chain applications for its workforce around the world.
- Other NOV business units have successfully standardized on Oracle applications and technology, including Oracle Financials, Oracle Human Resources, Oracle Fusion Talent Management Cloud Service, Oracle's JD Edwards Enterprise One for manufacturing and financials, Oracle Database and Oracle Exadata Database Machine.
- With its extensive Oracle footprint, NOV now shares the right information with relevant team members in a timely fashion for greater operational visibility and insight.
Drilling - Transocean
- Transocean is a leading international provider of offshore contract drilling services specializing in technically demanding sectors of the global offshore drilling business with a particular focus on deepwater and harsh environment drilling services. Transocean's employees are focused on safely delivering best-in-class performance for its customers.
- The company faced several important challenges, including the need to monitor its financial and operational performance; improve data timeliness and quality; and provide visibility of the data to all levels of management.
- The company created a business intelligence foundation using Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition. This platform has enabled the company to have one version of truth for all enterprise-wide reporting and allowed for the consolidations of its Oracle's PeopleSoft Financials, PeopleSoft Procurement, PeopleSoft Enterprise Asset Management, and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management reports. Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition allows management to focus less on administration and more on strategic oversight.
Midstream - Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Enterprise Product Partners L.P., one of the largest publicly traded partnerships and a leading North American provider of midstream energy services to producers and consumers of natural gas, NGLs, crude oil, refined products and petrochemicals faced a series of challenges. These challenges included non-supported asset management systems, maintaining complex integrations between multiple fragmented systems, and the need for expanded business intelligence.
- Enterprise Product Partners completed an upgrade of the Oracle E-Business Suite Financials and Human Resources Management System in May 2011. This upgrade enhanced and expanded functionality and added Oracle Business Intelligence reporting capabilities for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Treasury, Property Accounting, Financial Accounting, Human Resources and Payroll. Hitachi Consulting was the Systems Integrator. Alvarez and Marsal was the Project Management Office.
- Enterprise Products Partners plans to implement Oracle Enterprise Asset Management, Oracle Supply Chain Management, Oracle Project Costing, Oracle Time and Labor, Oracle WebCenter Content, Oracle iLearning and Oracle Business Intelligence reporting and analytical dashboards in the spring of 2013. This will enable streamlined business processes to improve visibility and support for the company's future growth.
Downstream - ADNOC Distribution
- ADNOC Distribution, an integrated energy company that markets and distributes petroleum products and services within the United Arab Emirates and internationally, faced several business and IT challenges related to its rapid growth. These included the need to effectively manage more than $100 million in financial transactions annually and a transaction growth rate of 15 percent annually. It also needed to support more than 3,000 users on its IT infrastructure and accommodate a database that was growing exponentially. To clear a path for continued growth, ADNOC Distribution defined a strategic roadmap to ensure that IT projects were aligned with business vision.
- ADNOC Distribution implemented an Oracle Exadata Database Machine platform, which has delivered dramatic performance improvement for its legacy applications, enabled faster access to business intelligence and improved its ability to support business expansion projects.
- "Southwestern Energy, ADCO, NOV, Transocean, Enterprise Products and ADNOC Distribution are each leaders in their sectors and have shown outstanding business leadership, innovation and technology achievement," said Charles Karren, director, oil and gas industry strategy for Oracle. "Oracle is proud to recognize their achievements and contribute to their successes as these companies provide energy to the world in a cost-effective and safe manner."
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the oil and gas industry helping speed time to market, reduce costs, and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) provides the most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems in the world. For more information about Oracle, visit oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 577
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 569
Cloud analytics is dramatically altering business intelligence. Some businesses will capitalize on these promising new technologies and gain key insights that’ll help them gain competitive advantage. And others won’t. Whether you’re a business leader, an IT manager, or an analyst, we want to help you and the people you need to influence with a free copy of “Cloud Analytics for Dummies,” the essential guide to this explosive new space for business intelligence.
Jul. 30, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,015
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 735
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,396
UpGuard has become a member of the Center for Internet Security (CIS), and will continue to help businesses expand visibility into their cyber risk by providing hardening benchmarks to all customers. By incorporating these benchmarks, UpGuard's CSTAR solution builds on its lead in providing the most complete assessment of both internal and external cyber risk. CIS benchmarks are a widely accepted set of hardening guidelines that have been publicly available for years. Numerous solutions exist t...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 856
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 708
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,680
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 448
In his session at Cloud Expo, Robert Cohen, an economist and senior fellow at the Economic Strategy Institute, will provide economic scenarios that describe how the rapid adoption of software-defined everything including cloud services, SDDC and open networking will change GDP, industry growth, productivity and jobs. This session will also include a drill down for several industries such as finance, social media, cloud service providers and pharmaceuticals.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 447
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,389
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,710
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,470
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,474
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,134