|By Marketwired .||
|October 12, 2012 08:00 AM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/12/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Recognizing the innovative solutions and business achievements of its customers, Oracle today announced the recipients of its 2012 Oil and Gas Industry Excellence Awards, presented last week at Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco.
- The awards recognize the achievements of an oil and gas company from each of the industry's six sectors:
- Exploration and Production - Southwestern Energy (SWN)
- National Oil Company - Abu Dhabi Company for Onshore Oil Operations (ADCO)
- Oilfield Services and Equipment Providers - National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NOV)
- Drilling Company (Offshore) - Transocean
- Midstream (Pipeline) - Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Downstream - ADNOC Distribution
Exploration and Production - Southwestern Energy
- Southwestern Energy, an independent energy company, involved in the exploration, development and production of natural gas and crude oil in North America, replaced its aging customized and siloed systems with an integrated Oracle platform.
- It transformed its business processes to operate as a world-class, entrepreneurial exploration and production organization and gained the ability to effectively integrate future acquisitions and expansion of existing operations.
- With Oracle's integrated global platform for enterprise resource management, upstream, human resources, business intelligence and financial planning, SWN has created a single source of truth for master data elements, including well sites, leases/contracts, suppliers, customers and employees. It also has streamlined compliance with internal and external audit and regulatory requirements and has significantly reduced its information technology (IT) budget thanks to a simplified and unified business intelligence infrastructure built on Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Oracle Business Intelligence Applications, Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle WebCenter Portal, Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalogic.
National Oil Company - ADCO
- ADCO, which operates onshore and in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi's shallow coastal water, was facing significant data management challenges, including corporate data governance, corporate performance management and business intelligence hurdles. In addition ADCO wanted to capture and analyze exploration and production information in real time to manage its corporate data on a single platform with common definitions and standards.
- To improve operational efficiency, the company developed an Oracle based Master Data Management solution in conjunction with the Professional Petroleum Data Management (PPDM) data model to be hosted on Oracle Exadata Database Machine as part of the company's high-performance data management solution. ADCO now has the foundation for a single data access gateway to provide a holistic view of drilling and production information and greater control for In/Out data delivery. Oracle's solutions have empowered ADCO to realize its goal for a single source of business information.
Oil Field Services and Equipment Provider - National Oilwell Varco (NOV)
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV), which provides equipment and components used in oil and gas drilling and production operations, oilfield services and supply chain integration services to the upstream oil and gas industry, looked to standardize its business processes as it continued to expand rapidly.
- The Rig Technology Division has standardized on the Oracle E-Business Suite. The division relies on Oracle Managed Cloud Services to provide hosting, management, disaster recovery and governance risk and compliance helping to manage corporate and financial risk.
- The Rig Technology Division manages its global supply chain using Oracle's manufacturing and supply chain planning applications including Oracle's Demantra and Oracle Advanced Supply Chain Planning -- which are also delivered via Oracle Managed Cloud Services. The division also has deployed Oracle Manufacturing Execution System and Oracle Mobile Supply Chain applications for its workforce around the world.
- Other NOV business units have successfully standardized on Oracle applications and technology, including Oracle Financials, Oracle Human Resources, Oracle Fusion Talent Management Cloud Service, Oracle's JD Edwards Enterprise One for manufacturing and financials, Oracle Database and Oracle Exadata Database Machine.
- With its extensive Oracle footprint, NOV now shares the right information with relevant team members in a timely fashion for greater operational visibility and insight.
Drilling - Transocean
- Transocean is a leading international provider of offshore contract drilling services specializing in technically demanding sectors of the global offshore drilling business with a particular focus on deepwater and harsh environment drilling services. Transocean's employees are focused on safely delivering best-in-class performance for its customers.
- The company faced several important challenges, including the need to monitor its financial and operational performance; improve data timeliness and quality; and provide visibility of the data to all levels of management.
- The company created a business intelligence foundation using Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition. This platform has enabled the company to have one version of truth for all enterprise-wide reporting and allowed for the consolidations of its Oracle's PeopleSoft Financials, PeopleSoft Procurement, PeopleSoft Enterprise Asset Management, and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management reports. Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition allows management to focus less on administration and more on strategic oversight.
Midstream - Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Enterprise Product Partners L.P., one of the largest publicly traded partnerships and a leading North American provider of midstream energy services to producers and consumers of natural gas, NGLs, crude oil, refined products and petrochemicals faced a series of challenges. These challenges included non-supported asset management systems, maintaining complex integrations between multiple fragmented systems, and the need for expanded business intelligence.
- Enterprise Product Partners completed an upgrade of the Oracle E-Business Suite Financials and Human Resources Management System in May 2011. This upgrade enhanced and expanded functionality and added Oracle Business Intelligence reporting capabilities for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Treasury, Property Accounting, Financial Accounting, Human Resources and Payroll. Hitachi Consulting was the Systems Integrator. Alvarez and Marsal was the Project Management Office.
- Enterprise Products Partners plans to implement Oracle Enterprise Asset Management, Oracle Supply Chain Management, Oracle Project Costing, Oracle Time and Labor, Oracle WebCenter Content, Oracle iLearning and Oracle Business Intelligence reporting and analytical dashboards in the spring of 2013. This will enable streamlined business processes to improve visibility and support for the company's future growth.
Downstream - ADNOC Distribution
- ADNOC Distribution, an integrated energy company that markets and distributes petroleum products and services within the United Arab Emirates and internationally, faced several business and IT challenges related to its rapid growth. These included the need to effectively manage more than $100 million in financial transactions annually and a transaction growth rate of 15 percent annually. It also needed to support more than 3,000 users on its IT infrastructure and accommodate a database that was growing exponentially. To clear a path for continued growth, ADNOC Distribution defined a strategic roadmap to ensure that IT projects were aligned with business vision.
- ADNOC Distribution implemented an Oracle Exadata Database Machine platform, which has delivered dramatic performance improvement for its legacy applications, enabled faster access to business intelligence and improved its ability to support business expansion projects.
- "Southwestern Energy, ADCO, NOV, Transocean, Enterprise Products and ADNOC Distribution are each leaders in their sectors and have shown outstanding business leadership, innovation and technology achievement," said Charles Karren, director, oil and gas industry strategy for Oracle. "Oracle is proud to recognize their achievements and contribute to their successes as these companies provide energy to the world in a cost-effective and safe manner."
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the oil and gas industry helping speed time to market, reduce costs, and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) provides the most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems in the world. For more information about Oracle, visit oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The essence of cloud computing is that all consumable IT resources are delivered as services. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, demonstrated the concepts and implementations of two important cloud computing deliveries: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). He discussed from business and technical viewpoints what exactly they are, why we care, how they are different and in what ways, and the strategies for IT to transi...
Mar. 27, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,121
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership abi...
Mar. 27, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 11,010
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 27, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 976
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service.
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,935
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Mar. 27, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,126
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,956
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,133
Virtualization over the past years has become a key strategy for IT to acquire multi-tenancy, increase utilization, develop elasticity and improve security. And virtual machines (VMs) are quickly becoming a main vehicle for developing and deploying applications. The introduction of containers seems to be bringing another and perhaps overlapped solution for achieving the same above-mentioned benefits. Are a container and a virtual machine fundamentally the same or different? And how? Is one techn...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,948
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,882
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,819
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 27, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,028
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 27, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 827
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 27, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,327
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 26, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,043
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and micro services. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your contain...
Mar. 26, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,584