|By PR Newswire||
|November 3, 2012 12:55 PM EDT||
NEWARK, N.J., Nov. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- PSE&G has restored service to 65 percent of those who lost power in Hurricane Sandy. In the last 24 hours, we restored service to all major gas refineries and 75% of the schools in our service territory.
Also in the last 24 hours we energized all of our switching stations and restored 16 substations. While energizing switching and substations does not automatically turn the lights on, it is a major step forward and allows us to focus on our distribution systems that are closer to the customer.
Currently about 73 percent of all PSE&G customers have power while 607,000 customers are still without power. At its peak, the storm impacted 1.7 million of PSE&G's 2.2 million electric customers.
The switching stations that were re-energized are the backbone of our system and they feed substations which we continue to work around the clock to restore. The 16 substations that we restored in the last 24 hours serve parts of Union Township, Kenilworth, Cranford, and Roselle Park, Bound Brook, Port Newark, Ironbound section of Newark, Hillside, Irvington, Elizabeth, North Plainfield, Bayonne, Jersey City, Linden and Carteret.
We currently have 2,794 mutual aid line workers and tree contractors from out-of-state helping us on the ground. An additional 319 new workers are due today and 300 more are being sent from Washington, DC. Another 102 out-of-state personnel who specialize in substations are here assisting our efforts.
PSE&G is focusing its efforts this weekend on those areas where we can restore power to the maximum number of customers. In addition to the municipalities listed below, we continue to address priority customers including hospitals, public safety facilities, schools and water systems throughout our service territory.
Here is a summary of this weekend's restoration work schedule:
- PSE&G has been working to restore the substations serving Jersey City and Bayonne and hopes to restore service to over 85% of those cities today. PSE&G and out-of-state crews will be working in those areas all weekend.
- The utility expects the vast majority of its customers in Union City and West New York will have power by Saturday evening.
- Of the 306,900 customers in Hudson County, 225,480 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 99,400 were still without power.
- In Hoboken, extensive flooding is preventing PSE&G from repairing three of the substations that serve the town. It will take an extended period of time to restore service. PSE&G is working with FEMA to get generators to strategic locations in Hoboken to provide relief while the utility works to repair severely damaged and flooded substations.
- Exxon and Hess refineries have power.
- Of the 346,260 customers in Essex County, 251,000 customers lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 122,400 customers remain out of service.
- PSE&G has restored service to 65% of the customers in Newark and will be working in the city all weekend.
- Crews will be also be focusing on Irvington, West Orange, Montclair, East Orange, Bloomfield, Maplewood, Orange and Belleville this weekend.
- Of the 333,690 customers in Bergen County, 215,770 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 142,100 customers remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Teaneck, Englewood, Ridgewood, Fort Lee, Paramus, Bergenfield, Palisades Park, New Milford, River Edge, Glen Rock, Tenafly, Hackensack, Lodi and Bogota this weekend.
- Of the 137,340 customers in Mercer County, 94,000 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 10,500 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Princeton Township, Ewing Township, Lawrence Township, West Windsor, Trenton, Hopewell, Princeton Borough, Hamilton Township and Pennington this weekend.
- Of the 165,350 customers in Burlington County, 71,600 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 6,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Moorestown, Willingboro, Maple Shade, Mt. Laurel and Delran this weekend.
- Of the 173,000 customers in Passaic County, 87,000 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 53,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Paterson, Clifton, Passaic and Wayne this weekend.
- Power was lost last night in part of Totowa as a result of a car accident that took out a utility pole.
- Of the 161,000 customers in Passaic County, 27,800 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 5,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Cherry Hill, Camden and Pennsauken this weekend.
- Of the 192,340 customers in Union County, 177,860 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 73,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Elizabeth, Union, Plainfield, Linden and Westfield this weekend. Work in Elizabeth and Union will continue into Monday.
- Of the 250,350 customers in Middlesex County, 217,400 customers lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 61,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Edison, Piscataway, Woodbridge and East Brunswick
- Of the 103,500 customers in Somerset County, 83,940 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 31,700 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Franklin Township this weekend.
** The restoration work schedule for Monday and Tuesday will be available on Sunday.
PSE&G's Mobile Customer Service Centers: To provide relief to particularly hard hit communities, PSE&G has established mobile Customer Service Centers (CSCs). These locations are providing ice, drinking water and power strips for recharging devices to PSE&G customers at no cost. Food is being given out at PSE&G's centers in Newark, Jersey City and Hoboken. PSE&G representatives are staffing these centers to provide customers with information about the utility's efforts to restore power. The current list of PSE&G Mobile CSCs is as follows.
Hours of Ops
CVS Parking Lot
Red Neck Grove
Paramus Park Mall
Westside and Claremont Ave
St James Church Parking Lot (Elm St and Madison St)
Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is New Jersey's oldest and largest regulated gas and electric delivery utility, serving nearly three-quarters of the state's population. PSE&G is the winner of the Reliability One Award for superior electric system reliability. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company (www.pseg.com)
Want to know what's new at PSEG? Go to www.pseg.com/getnews and sign up to have our press releases sent right to your inbox.
SOURCE Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG)
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,397
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,426
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, will discuss the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docke...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,192
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 552
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Oct. 21, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,773
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 612
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,449
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, you'll learn about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how Docke...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,504
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Claude Remillard, Principal Program Manager in Developer Division at Microsoft, will contrast how his team used config as code and immutable patterns for continuous delivery of microservices and apps to the cloud. He will show the immutable patterns helps developers do away with most of the complexity of config as code-enabling scenarios such as rollback, zero downtime upgrades with far greater simplicity. He will also have live demos of building immutable pipe...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,460
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 918
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 903
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,324
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 864
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 21, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 678
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 8,051