|By PR Newswire||
|November 3, 2012 12:55 PM EDT||
NEWARK, N.J., Nov. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- PSE&G has restored service to 65 percent of those who lost power in Hurricane Sandy. In the last 24 hours, we restored service to all major gas refineries and 75% of the schools in our service territory.
Also in the last 24 hours we energized all of our switching stations and restored 16 substations. While energizing switching and substations does not automatically turn the lights on, it is a major step forward and allows us to focus on our distribution systems that are closer to the customer.
Currently about 73 percent of all PSE&G customers have power while 607,000 customers are still without power. At its peak, the storm impacted 1.7 million of PSE&G's 2.2 million electric customers.
The switching stations that were re-energized are the backbone of our system and they feed substations which we continue to work around the clock to restore. The 16 substations that we restored in the last 24 hours serve parts of Union Township, Kenilworth, Cranford, and Roselle Park, Bound Brook, Port Newark, Ironbound section of Newark, Hillside, Irvington, Elizabeth, North Plainfield, Bayonne, Jersey City, Linden and Carteret.
We currently have 2,794 mutual aid line workers and tree contractors from out-of-state helping us on the ground. An additional 319 new workers are due today and 300 more are being sent from Washington, DC. Another 102 out-of-state personnel who specialize in substations are here assisting our efforts.
PSE&G is focusing its efforts this weekend on those areas where we can restore power to the maximum number of customers. In addition to the municipalities listed below, we continue to address priority customers including hospitals, public safety facilities, schools and water systems throughout our service territory.
Here is a summary of this weekend's restoration work schedule:
- PSE&G has been working to restore the substations serving Jersey City and Bayonne and hopes to restore service to over 85% of those cities today. PSE&G and out-of-state crews will be working in those areas all weekend.
- The utility expects the vast majority of its customers in Union City and West New York will have power by Saturday evening.
- Of the 306,900 customers in Hudson County, 225,480 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 99,400 were still without power.
- In Hoboken, extensive flooding is preventing PSE&G from repairing three of the substations that serve the town. It will take an extended period of time to restore service. PSE&G is working with FEMA to get generators to strategic locations in Hoboken to provide relief while the utility works to repair severely damaged and flooded substations.
- Exxon and Hess refineries have power.
- Of the 346,260 customers in Essex County, 251,000 customers lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 122,400 customers remain out of service.
- PSE&G has restored service to 65% of the customers in Newark and will be working in the city all weekend.
- Crews will be also be focusing on Irvington, West Orange, Montclair, East Orange, Bloomfield, Maplewood, Orange and Belleville this weekend.
- Of the 333,690 customers in Bergen County, 215,770 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 142,100 customers remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Teaneck, Englewood, Ridgewood, Fort Lee, Paramus, Bergenfield, Palisades Park, New Milford, River Edge, Glen Rock, Tenafly, Hackensack, Lodi and Bogota this weekend.
- Of the 137,340 customers in Mercer County, 94,000 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 10,500 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Princeton Township, Ewing Township, Lawrence Township, West Windsor, Trenton, Hopewell, Princeton Borough, Hamilton Township and Pennington this weekend.
- Of the 165,350 customers in Burlington County, 71,600 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 6,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Moorestown, Willingboro, Maple Shade, Mt. Laurel and Delran this weekend.
- Of the 173,000 customers in Passaic County, 87,000 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 53,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Paterson, Clifton, Passaic and Wayne this weekend.
- Power was lost last night in part of Totowa as a result of a car accident that took out a utility pole.
- Of the 161,000 customers in Passaic County, 27,800 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 5,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Cherry Hill, Camden and Pennsauken this weekend.
- Of the 192,340 customers in Union County, 177,860 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 73,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Elizabeth, Union, Plainfield, Linden and Westfield this weekend. Work in Elizabeth and Union will continue into Monday.
- Of the 250,350 customers in Middlesex County, 217,400 customers lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 61,000 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Edison, Piscataway, Woodbridge and East Brunswick
- Of the 103,500 customers in Somerset County, 83,940 lost electricity. As of Saturday morning, 31,700 remained without power.
- Crews will be focusing on Franklin Township this weekend.
** The restoration work schedule for Monday and Tuesday will be available on Sunday.
PSE&G's Mobile Customer Service Centers: To provide relief to particularly hard hit communities, PSE&G has established mobile Customer Service Centers (CSCs). These locations are providing ice, drinking water and power strips for recharging devices to PSE&G customers at no cost. Food is being given out at PSE&G's centers in Newark, Jersey City and Hoboken. PSE&G representatives are staffing these centers to provide customers with information about the utility's efforts to restore power. The current list of PSE&G Mobile CSCs is as follows.
Hours of Ops
CVS Parking Lot
Red Neck Grove
Paramus Park Mall
Westside and Claremont Ave
St James Church Parking Lot (Elm St and Madison St)
Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is New Jersey's oldest and largest regulated gas and electric delivery utility, serving nearly three-quarters of the state's population. PSE&G is the winner of the Reliability One Award for superior electric system reliability. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company (www.pseg.com)
Want to know what's new at PSEG? Go to www.pseg.com/getnews and sign up to have our press releases sent right to your inbox.
SOURCE Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG)
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 5, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,131
Agile, which started in the development organization, has gradually expanded into other areas downstream - namely IT and Operations. Teams – then teams of teams – have streamlined processes, improved feedback loops and driven a much faster pace into IT departments which have had profound effects on the entire organization. In his session at DevOps Summit, Anders Wallgren, Chief Technology Officer of Electric Cloud, will discuss how DevOps and Continuous Delivery have emerged to help connect dev...
Jul. 5, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,657
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Jul. 5, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,369
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US a...
Jul. 5, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,164
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 5, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,410
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the ...
Jul. 5, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,405
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Jul. 5, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Infrastructure & Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS) is a managed services provider of cloud computing solutions for the IBM Power Systems market. The company helps mid-market firms built on IBM hardware platforms to deploy new levels of reliable and cost-effective computing and hig...
Jul. 5, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,592
To many people, IoT is a buzzword whose value is not understood. Many people think IoT is all about wearables and home automation. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed some incredible game-changing use cases and how they are transforming industries like agriculture, manufacturing, health care, and smart cities. He will discuss cool technologies like smart dust, robotics, smart labels, and much more. Prepare...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,515
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,953
The cloud has transformed how we think about software quality. Instead of preventing failures, we must focus on automatic recovery from failure. In other words, resilience trumps traditional quality measures. Continuous delivery models further squeeze traditional notions of quality. Remember the venerable project management Iron Triangle? Among time, scope, and cost, you can only fix two or quality will suffer. Only in today's DevOps world, continuous testing, integration, and deployment upend...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,475
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner. 20,000+ business custome...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,964
SYS-CON Events announced today that JFrog, maker of Artifactory, the popular Binary Repository Manager, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based in California, Israel and France, founded by longtime field-experts, JFrog, creator of Artifactory and Bintray, has provided the market with the first Binary Repository solution and a software distribution social platform.
Jul. 5, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,639
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,406
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jul. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,837