|By Marketwired .||
|November 4, 2012 07:49 PM EST||
WASHINGTON, DC -- (Marketwire) -- 11/04/12 -- Generation Opportunity today released data specifically on Independent voters from their comprehensive Florida-specific survey of young adults ages 18-29. The poll found that 61 percent of Independent Millennials in Florida plan to vote in the presidential election, only 26 percent believe the country is headed in the right direction, and 91 percent say key life decisions have been delayed by the poor national economy. The poll also found that of the "Get Out The Vote" (GOTV) reminder tools that will have an impact on Independent young voter turnout in Florida, Facebook ranked first at 60 percent and text messages ranked second at 49 percent. Only 17 percent of Florida's Independent young adults thought a phone call would be effective -- a clear indication that smartphones and other mobile devices have reached a point of heavy market penetration within the demographic.
Generation Opportunity has over 4 million fans on Facebook and direct grassroots engagement with over a quarter million young Americans. The organization has over 160,000 followers across the state of Florida developed through social media and grassroots activities. In addition to releasing Florida poll results, Generation Opportunity has launched the Pledge to GO Vote Campaign aimed at further increasing the already growing enthusiasm and interest among young adults to participate in the presidential election. Generation Opportunity is encouraging its Florida supporters, their friends, and all those within their networks to Pledge to GO Vote. Read more about the initiative and sign the pledge here at GenerationOpportunity.org/vote.
Watch the video at bit.ly/PledgeToGOVote.
FLORIDA'S INDEPENDENT YOUNG ADULTS -- IMPACT OF PRESIDENT OBAMA'S POLICIES, IMPORTANCE OF JOB CREATION
- Only 29% of Independent young adults in Florida say that the economic policies coming out of Washington are helping them.
- Only 44% approve of President Obama's handling of youth unemployment.
- Only 42% think that President Obama's policies have helped create jobs in Florida.
- 60% agree with the statement "the economy grows best when individuals are allowed to create businesses without government interference."
- 67% agree with the statement "if taxes on business profits were reduced, companies would be more likely to hire."
- 67% believe the availability of more quality, full-time jobs upon graduation is more important than lower student loan interest rates.
- 66% say the availability of more quality, full-time jobs with health insurance plans is more important than the ability to stay on their parents' health insurance plans until they are 26.
- 78% would decrease federal spending if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- 70% prefer reducing federal spending over raising taxes on individuals to balance the budget.
- 55% would increase production of domestic American energy sources like oil, natural gas, and coal if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
FLORIDA'S INDEPENDENT YOUNG ADULTS -- AMERICA, CAMPAIGN 2012, EFFECTIVE GET OUT THE VOTE (GOTV) TACTICS
- 61% of 18-29 year old Florida Independents plan to vote in the election for President this year.
- Only 28% believe that today's political leaders reflect the interests of young Americans.
- Only 26% agree with the statement "generally speaking, things in the United States are heading in the right direction."
- 55% are not confident that America will still be a global leader in five years if the USA continues along the same path as the last few years.
- 49% agreed they will learn more about the policy positions of the presidential candidates in 2012 than they did in 2008.
- Which will be the more important to you in casting your vote for President in 2012?
- 41% - A candidate's position on issues and a record in public office;
- 7% - A candidate's personal characteristics, like charisma and likeability;
- 42% - They are of equal importance (accepted only this response);
- 7% - Neither is important / something else;
- 3% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
- Which of the following, if any, would make young people more likely to vote? (Accepted multiple responses) (Randomized):
- 60% - Facebook reminder message;
- 49% - Text message reminder;
- 30% - Email reminder;
- 36% - Public service announcement;
- 17% - Phone call;
- 13% - None of the above (accepted only this response);
- 3% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
FLORIDA'S INDEPENDENT YOUNG ADULTS - IMPACT OF THE POOR ECONOMY ON CAREERS AND DREAMS
- 81% of Independent Millennials in Florida believe that the lack of job opportunities is shrinking the American middle class.
- 91% had planned to but now might delay or not make at all a major life change or move forward on a major purchase due to the current state of the economy (Accepted multiple responses) (Randomized):
- 45% - Buy their own place;
- 32% - Go back to school/getting more education or training;
- 40% - Start a family;
- 26% - Pay off student loans or other debt;
- 28% - Change jobs/cities;
- 27% - Save for retirement;
- 27% - Get married;
- 7% - None of the above (accepted only this response);
- 2% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
STATEMENT BY PAUL T. CONWAY, PRESIDENT OF GENERATION OPPORTUNITY
"In Florida, young adult Independents will play a strategic role in determining which candidate Florida supports as the next President of the United States. This should come as no surprise -- the biggest changes they have seen in their lives over the past several years have been the delays in their careers and dreams resulting from the failed national policies that created high unemployment, a lack of full-time jobs, and the poor economy. In the 2012 presidential election, the enthusiasm among Florida's Millennial Independents is driven by a desire to change the status quo and create more opportunity for all Americans, not by the likeability or charisma of either candidate," said Paul T. Conway, President of Generation Opportunity and former Chief of Staff of the United States Department of Labor under Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
For Generation Opportunity, the polling company, inc./WomanTrend, conducted a statewide online survey of 524 Florida adults ages 18-29 between July 27 - August 13, 2012. Randomly selected online opt-in panel participants were sent an invitation to the survey via email, which included a secure link to the online questionnaire. Quotas were used to ensure the survey was representative of the larger 18-29 year old statewide population with regard to race, region, and gender. The data were NOT weighted. The overall sampling margin of error for the survey is +/-4.4% at a 95% confidence interval, meaning that the data obtained would not differ more than 4.4 percentage points in 95 out of 100 similar samples obtained. Independent voters comprised 23% of the total sample.
ABOUT GENERATION OPPORTUNITY
Generation Opportunity is the largest non-profit, non-partisan organization in the United States engaging and mobilizing young Americans (ages 18-29) on important economic issues facing the nation. Since its launch in June of 2011, Generation Opportunity has operated on a combined strategy of advanced social media tactics and field tactics to reach young Americans across the country.
Generation Opportunity is actively organizing young adults across America through grassroots tactics, voter registration, and voter turnout efforts in states like Ohio, Virginia, Maine, North Carolina, Michigan, and Florida, engaging over a quarter million young adults. The organization's social media platforms have amassed a total fan base of more than 4 million. Facebook pages post links to relevant articles and reports from sources ranging from the federal Government Accountability Office (GAO), to The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Brookings Institution, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, and The Heritage Foundation.
Read about Generation Opportunity here; visit "Being American by GO" on Facebook here, "The Constitution by GO" on Facebook here, "Gas Prices Are Too Damn High" on Facebook here, "Lower Taxes by GO" on Facebook here, "Keep Texas Awesome" on Facebook here, "Jersey Proud" on Facebook here, and "We Like Small Government" on Facebook here.
For our Spanish-language page -- Generación Oportunidad -- click here.
Follow us on Twitter @GenOpportunity.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2141873
"We have seen the evolution of WebRTC right from the starting point to what it has become today, that people are using in real applications," noted Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President and Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy and Ecosystem at GENBAND, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 841
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Jul. 7, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 218
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US a...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,474
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,268
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,261
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,455
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,714
"CenturyLink brings a full suite of services to the table and that enables us to be an IT service provider," explained Jeff Katzen, Director of the Cloud Practice at CenturyLink, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 640
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Jul. 7, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,951
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Jul. 7, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,413
"In the IoT space we are helping customers, mostly enterprises and industry verticals where time-to-value is critical, and we help them with the ability to do faster insights and actions using our platform so they can transform their business operations," explained Venkat Eswara, VP of Marketing at Vitria, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 949
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jul. 7, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,403
In the midst of the widespread popularity and adoption of cloud computing, it seems like everything is being offered “as a Service” these days: Infrastructure? Check. Platform? You bet. Software? Absolutely. Toaster? It’s only a matter of time. With service providers positioning vastly differing offerings under a generic “cloud” umbrella, it’s all too easy to get confused about what’s actually being offered. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Kevin Hazard, Director of Digital Content for SoftL...
Jul. 7, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,686
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect t...
Jul. 7, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,966
Malicious agents are moving faster than the speed of business. Even more worrisome, most companies are relying on legacy approaches to security that are no longer capable of meeting current threats. In the modern cloud, threat diversity is rapidly expanding, necessitating more sophisticated security protocols than those used in the past or in desktop environments. Yet companies are falling for cloud security myths that were truths at one time but have evolved out of existence.
Jul. 7, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,465