|By PR Newswire||
|November 6, 2012 03:00 AM EST||
SAN DIEGO, Nov. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Every parent loves to see their child's face light up with joy when they open the perfect present. So when a new puppy, kitty or other pet appears at the top of a youngster's wish list, it's important to realize that unlike other holiday gifts, bringing home a dog, cat, bird, or even a fish, takes a lot of planning. A new pet is a long-term, full-time commitment, requiring thought, care and responsibility. However, with these steps from Petco™, it's easy for any parent to plan ahead and make smart decisions around adding a new pet to the family.
- First, go over a child's wish list together to see if they will appreciate and care for a new pet. Ask the child how he or she would care for the pet if someone granted his or her wish. Make sure to remind them that pets need to be fed, taken care of and they can often make extra messes. Of course, a child is likely to promise to do everything involving the pet, so it's important to remember that the younger the child is, the more the responsibility will fall on the parents.
- Take the child to a Petco National Adoption Weekend event or animal shelter to confirm what breed or type of pet he or she wants. Some gentle steering will be able to sway him or her to the best option for the family. In addition, Petco hosts free monthly Meet the Critters events where kids and adults can learn about different types of pets, their habitats and care, and feeding information. This month's event takes place on November 10-11, 2012 from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. at all Petco stores nationwide and will focus on the Russian Tortoise.
- Thoroughly research the animal's care, maintenance, grooming and training requirements. Prepare a list of staples the pet will need and put them on a wish list. Be sure to include a cage, food, leash, shampoo, treats, toys and accessories so there aren't any surprises by the barrage of additional expenses. Then, add on health and cleaning items to cope with the accidents that are part of every new pet's first days at home.
- Once you've decided to add a new pet to the family, identify a good veterinarian in the local community. Determine whether a license or community permit is needed, set a vaccination schedule and take care of any necessary paperwork.
- If adding a puppy to the family, be sure to check out local dog training classes and/or free workshops in the neighborhood. This will help make certain the family puppy is set up for success. Petco offers Dog Training Classes, as well as free seminars to help raise a well-behaved companion.
- Then it's time to get the house ready for the new family member. Try to prepare as much as possible prior to bringing the new pet home. Amphibians, reptiles or fish need aquariums, filters, heaters, plants and other accessories - many of these need time to settle before they will sustain a new pet. A new bird or rodent will require a cage, bedding or cage liner, dishes and toys. A larger animal, such as a puppy or kitten, will also need a bed and a carrier or crate. Petco provides free care sheets, which list the recommended supplies for each animal, in addition to important information and care requirements.
- When it's time for the big unveil, it can be enticing to tie a red bow around a new puppy's neck or the hamster's cage and leave them amid the other packages. However, this guarantees stressing out the newest family member before he or she is even discovered by the family. It's better to wrap the cage and accessories with a photo of the animal for presentation on the actual holiday, which also helps to prevent a new pet from being mistakenly identified as a toy. The best option to introduce a new pet into the home is to wait until after the holiday season is over and things have settled down. The hustle and bustle of the holidays can stress out any new pet, and possibly the pet parent!
For more information on how to prepare for a new pet, visit http://www.petco.com/holiday.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,150 stores nationwide, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $100 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 8,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.
By now most people have either created their configuration management solution or are just embarking on this journey. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Marco Ceppi, a DevOps Engineer working at Canonical, will discuss how to take configuration management to the next level with modelling and orchestration. He will also discuss how and why people are moving from a machine-centric view to a service/application-oriented view of deployments, and how you can leverage the knowledge a...
Oct. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,010
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 11,583
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 27, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 481
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that cl...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 500
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,937
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and microservices. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your conta...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,609
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,013
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,933
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,090
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,062
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 27, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,035
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,266
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,216
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,140
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 991