|By PR Newswire||
|November 6, 2012 03:00 AM EST||
SAN DIEGO, Nov. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Every parent loves to see their child's face light up with joy when they open the perfect present. So when a new puppy, kitty or other pet appears at the top of a youngster's wish list, it's important to realize that unlike other holiday gifts, bringing home a dog, cat, bird, or even a fish, takes a lot of planning. A new pet is a long-term, full-time commitment, requiring thought, care and responsibility. However, with these steps from Petco™, it's easy for any parent to plan ahead and make smart decisions around adding a new pet to the family.
- First, go over a child's wish list together to see if they will appreciate and care for a new pet. Ask the child how he or she would care for the pet if someone granted his or her wish. Make sure to remind them that pets need to be fed, taken care of and they can often make extra messes. Of course, a child is likely to promise to do everything involving the pet, so it's important to remember that the younger the child is, the more the responsibility will fall on the parents.
- Take the child to a Petco National Adoption Weekend event or animal shelter to confirm what breed or type of pet he or she wants. Some gentle steering will be able to sway him or her to the best option for the family. In addition, Petco hosts free monthly Meet the Critters events where kids and adults can learn about different types of pets, their habitats and care, and feeding information. This month's event takes place on November 10-11, 2012 from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. at all Petco stores nationwide and will focus on the Russian Tortoise.
- Thoroughly research the animal's care, maintenance, grooming and training requirements. Prepare a list of staples the pet will need and put them on a wish list. Be sure to include a cage, food, leash, shampoo, treats, toys and accessories so there aren't any surprises by the barrage of additional expenses. Then, add on health and cleaning items to cope with the accidents that are part of every new pet's first days at home.
- Once you've decided to add a new pet to the family, identify a good veterinarian in the local community. Determine whether a license or community permit is needed, set a vaccination schedule and take care of any necessary paperwork.
- If adding a puppy to the family, be sure to check out local dog training classes and/or free workshops in the neighborhood. This will help make certain the family puppy is set up for success. Petco offers Dog Training Classes, as well as free seminars to help raise a well-behaved companion.
- Then it's time to get the house ready for the new family member. Try to prepare as much as possible prior to bringing the new pet home. Amphibians, reptiles or fish need aquariums, filters, heaters, plants and other accessories - many of these need time to settle before they will sustain a new pet. A new bird or rodent will require a cage, bedding or cage liner, dishes and toys. A larger animal, such as a puppy or kitten, will also need a bed and a carrier or crate. Petco provides free care sheets, which list the recommended supplies for each animal, in addition to important information and care requirements.
- When it's time for the big unveil, it can be enticing to tie a red bow around a new puppy's neck or the hamster's cage and leave them amid the other packages. However, this guarantees stressing out the newest family member before he or she is even discovered by the family. It's better to wrap the cage and accessories with a photo of the animal for presentation on the actual holiday, which also helps to prevent a new pet from being mistakenly identified as a toy. The best option to introduce a new pet into the home is to wait until after the holiday season is over and things have settled down. The hustle and bustle of the holidays can stress out any new pet, and possibly the pet parent!
For more information on how to prepare for a new pet, visit http://www.petco.com/holiday.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,150 stores nationwide, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $100 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 8,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 24, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 4,826
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 5,088
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 2,008
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Jan. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 2,511
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 24, 2017 07:45 AM EST Reads: 3,923
Creating replica copies to tolerate a certain number of failures is easy, but very expensive at cloud-scale. Conventional RAID has lower overhead, but it is limited in the number of failures it can tolerate. And the management is like herding cats (overseeing capacity, rebuilds, migrations, and degraded performance). In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing for the HGST Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, discussed how a new approach is neces...
Jan. 24, 2017 07:45 AM EST Reads: 4,561
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jan. 24, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 5,775
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Claude Remillard, Principal Program Manager in Developer Division at Microsoft, contrasted how his team used config as code and immutable patterns for continuous delivery of microservices and apps to the cloud. He showed how the immutable patterns helps developers do away with most of the complexity of config as code-enabling scenarios such as rollback, zero downtime upgrades with far greater simplicity. He also demoed building immutable pipelines in the cloud ...
Jan. 24, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 3,636
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Jan. 24, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 6,915
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 24, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 3,666
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Jan. 24, 2017 05:00 AM EST Reads: 3,115
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Jan. 24, 2017 04:00 AM EST Reads: 6,702
While many government agencies have embraced the idea of employing cloud computing as a tool for increasing the efficiency and flexibility of IT, many still struggle with large scale adoption. The challenge is mainly attributed to the federated structure of these agencies as well as the immaturity of brokerage and governance tools and models. Initiatives like FedRAMP are a great first step toward solving many of these challenges but there are a lot of unknowns that are yet to be tackled. In hi...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:45 AM EST Reads: 3,957
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, discussed the impact of technology on identity. Sho...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 4,280
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 6,722