|By Marketwired .||
|November 6, 2012 05:30 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, DC -- (Marketwire) -- 11/06/12 -- Generation Opportunity continued its national social media and grassroots Get Out The Vote (GOTV) reminder efforts to its over 4 million young adult followers by encouraging them to GO vote. According to the 2011 Pew Internet and American Life Project, Facebook users are 43% more likely to vote, 2.5 times more likely to attend an event or rally, and 57% more likely to persuade a friend or co-worker to vote. A recent poll of Millennial voters (young adults ages 18-29) found that of the GOTV reminder tools that will have an impact on young voter turnout, Facebook ranked first at 59 percent and text messages ranked second at 50 percent. Only 18 percent of Millennials thought a phone message would be effective.
Generation Opportunity is the largest non-profit, non-partisan organization engaging young adults in the United States. The organization utilizes a strategy that integrates sophisticated social media and grassroots tactics to organize and mobilize young voters. Since 2011, Generation Opportunity has provided a forum for young Americans to discuss key concerns, such as high unemployment, the lack of full-time jobs, the lack of economic opportunity, and how these issues are directly related to the decisions and policies of elected leaders in Washington, D.C., and state capitals. The organization's Facebook posts related to these issues, nearly all of which are sourced and linked to news stories and official reports, have been viewed over 1.1 billion times. The content has garnered well over 9 million shares and comments. Generation Opportunity field teams have trained student leaders, established volunteer networks, and conducted hundreds of events in states including Maine, Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey, Ohio, New Hampshire, Michigan, Nevada, Colorado, and Texas, among many others.
Generation Opportunity's 2012 GOTV efforts include the following tools, among many others:
- Facebook Vote Reminders - Graphic messages counting down the number of days to the election as well as graphic reminders of what is at stake at a time when young adult unemployment is so high.
- Video Reminders to Vote - Two targeted videos to remind young voters of the importance of voting and the need for real, substantive change -- especially for those whose careers and dreams have been delayed by the poor economy and who have had to move back in with their parents due to high unemployment.
- Where To Vote - Dedicated tool on the Generation Opportunity website powered by the CAPWHIZ solution produced by Congressional Quarterly that allows young Americans to determine their exact polling location. The site has already been visited by tens of thousands of young voters preparing to cast their ballots in the presidential election.
- Grassroots Action Center - An online tool for young activists to write letters to their member of Congress, the local media, and even send video messages to President Obama voicing their concerns about the lack of jobs and opportunity. Activists can also remind friends to vote via social media or email, view the candidates on their ballot, and find their polling location.
STATEMENT BY PAUL T. CONWAY, PRESIDENT OF GENERATION OPPORTUNITY
"Young Americans have closely followed the news through social media over the past several years and, through their own life experiences, have become experts on the poor economy. Through no fault of their own, the lack of meaningful, full-time jobs and high unemployment have denied them critical skills, earnings, and experience. It should come as no surprise that they are highly engaged in the 2012 presidential election -- their futures are literally at risk," said Paul T. Conway, President of Generation Opportunity and former Chief of Staff of the United States Department of Labor under Secretary Elaine L. Chao. "On Election Day, millions of young Americans will reject the status quo and those who defend failed economic policies. This will not be done out of any desire to get even, but rather out of sheer disappointment that they have already paid a high price for the change they voted for in 2008 through their stalled careers and delayed dreams. Their decision this year will reflect a genuine desire to get the country and their own lives back on track."
OCTOBER NATIONAL YOUNG ADULT UNEMPLOYMENT LEVELS
Last week, Generation Opportunity announced non-seasonally adjusted (NSA) 18-29 youth unemployment rate data for October 2012 as the Presidential election nears:
- The youth unemployment rate for 18-29 year olds specifically for October 2012 is 12.0 percent (NSA).
- The youth unemployment rate for 18-29 year old African-Americans for October 2012 is 21.4 percent (NSA); the youth unemployment rate for 18-29 year old Hispanics for October 2012 is 13.4 percent (NSA); and the youth unemployment rate for 18-29 year old Women for October 2012 is 11.8 percent (NSA).
- The declining labor force participation rate has created an additional 1.7 million young adults that are not counted as "unemployed" by the U.S. Department of Labor because they are not in the labor force, meaning that those young people have given up looking for work due to the lack of jobs.
- If the labor force participation rate were factored into the 18-29 youth unemployment calculation, the actual 18-29-unemployment rate would rise to 16.5 percent (NSA).
YOUNG AMERICAN VOTER ENGAGEMENT AND GOTV - PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2012
- 76% of Millennials plan to vote in the election for President this year.
- Only 36% of Millennials agree with the statement "generally speaking, things in the United States are heading in the right direction."
- 55% are not confident that America will still be a global leader in five years if the USA continues along the same path as the last few years.
- Only 38% believe that today's political leaders reflect the interests of young Americans.
- 59% agreed they will learn more about the policy positions of the presidential candidates in 2012 than they did in 2008.
- Which of the following, if any, would make young people more likely to vote? (Accepted multiple responses) (Randomized):
- 59% - Facebook reminder message;
- 50% - Text message reminder;
- 33% - Email reminder;
- 32% - Public service announcement;
- 18% - Phone call;
- 10% - None of the above (accepted only this response);
- 6% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
- Which will be the more important to you in casting your vote for President in 2012?
- 50% - A candidate's position on issues and a record in public office;
- 11% - A candidate's personal characteristics, like charisma and likeability;
- 29% - They are of equal importance (accepted only this response);
- 4% - Neither is important / something else;
- 5% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
YOUNG AMERICANS ON THE IMPACT OF THE ECONOMY ON FUTURE DREAMS AND CAREERS
- 76% of Millennials believe that the lack of job opportunities is shrinking the American middle class.
- Only 29% say that the economic policies coming out of Washington are helping them.
- 84% of young people ages 18-29 had planned to but now might delay or not make at all a major life change or move forward on a major purchase due to the current state of the economy (Accepted multiple responses) (Randomized):
- 38% - Buy their own place;
- 32% - Go back to school/getting more education or training;
- 31% - Start a family;
- 27% - Change jobs/cities;
- 26% - Pay off student loans or other debt;
- 25% - Save for retirement;
- 23% - Get married;
- 12% - None of the above (accepted only this response);
- 4% - Do not know/cannot judge (accepted only this response).
For Generation Opportunity, the polling company, inc./WomanTrend conducted a nationwide online survey of 1,003 American adults ages 18-29 between July 27 and July 31, 2012. Randomly selected online opt-in panel participants were sent an invitation to the survey via email which included a secure link to the online questionnaire. Quotas were used to ensure the survey was representative of the larger 18-29 year old nationwide population with regard to race, region, and gender. The data were NOT weighted. The overall sampling margin of error for the survey is +/-3.1% at a 95% confidence interval, meaning that the data obtained would not differ more than 3.1 percentage points in 95 out of 100 similar samples obtained.
ABOUT GENERATION OPPORTUNITY
Generation Opportunity is actively organizing young adults across America through grassroots tactics, voter registration, and voter turnout efforts, engaging over a quarter million young adults. The organization's social media platforms have amassed a total fan base of more than 4 million. Facebook pages post links to relevant articles and reports from sources ranging from the federal Government Accountability Office (GAO), to The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Brookings Institution, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, and The Heritage Foundation.
Read about Generation Opportunity here; visit "Being American by GO" on Facebook here, "The Constitution by GO" on Facebook here, "Gas Prices Are Too Damn High" on Facebook here, "Lower Taxes by GO" on Facebook here, "Keep Texas Awesome" on Facebook here, "Jersey Proud" on Facebook here, and "We Like Small Government" on Facebook here.
For our Spanish-language page - Generación Oportunidad - click here.
Follow us on Twitter @GenOpportunity.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2143555
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2143557
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2143564
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2143558
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,101
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,378
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,996
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 8,543
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,158
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 561
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 379
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 924
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,950
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,594
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,226
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,550
Digitization is driving a fundamental change in society that is transforming the way businesses work with their customers, their supply chains and their people. Digital transformation leverages DevOps best practices, such as Agile Parallel Development, Continuous Delivery and Agile Operations to capitalize on opportunities and create competitive differentiation in the application economy. However, information security has been notably absent from the DevOps movement. Speed doesn’t have to negat...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,888
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, the leading provider of modern development tools and best practices for Continuous Integration on OpenVMS, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware products and development tools that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,619
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Oct. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,886