|By PR Newswire||
|November 12, 2012 10:32 PM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire-iReach/ --
If you're near retirement age, and need some funding to finance home renovations, pay off your current mortgage, or to help cover medical expenses, there is a way to get cash fast -- without taking out a loan. It's called a "reverse mortgage", and many Americans over the age of 62 are taking advantage of it these days. How does it work? In a traditional mortgage, you pay your lender. In a reverse mortgage, your lender actually pays you. That's because in a reverse mortgage, you convert the equity of your home into cash, and you don't have to repay the loan as long as you live in the home. Instead, the loan is repaid to the lender when you die, sell the home, or when it's no longer your primary residence.In most cases, the proceeds of this type of loan are tax-free, and many reverse mortgages do not have income restrictions. There are three types of reverse mortgages:
1. Single-Purpose Reverse Mortgages -- Offered by some state and local government agencies and non-profit organizations, these are usually the cheapest option. Like the name implies, these can only be used for one purpose, as specified by the lender. For example, if you need money specifically to pay off medical bills, a lender may grant you this type of reverse mortgage, but you can only use the money for that purpose, and must provide proof that you are doing so. Typically, single-purpose reverse mortgages are for people with low to moderate income levels.
2. Federally-Insured Reverse Mortgages -- These are often referred to as Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECM) and are backed by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Before applying for a HECM, you are required to meet with an independent government-approved housing counseling agent to go over the costs and alternative options. These reverse mortgages are very common, and they don't come with any income or use restrictions. The only catch is that the amount of money you can borrow is determined by your age, the appraised value of the home, and current interest rates. There are also several options of how you receive the money. You may get a fixed amount each month, fixed cash advances, or a line of credit where you can draw money whenever you need it. One thing to remember -- these reverse mortgages come with upfront costs. Be prepared to pay origination fees, a mortgage insurance premium, and closing costs.
3. Proprietary Reverse Mortgages -- These are private loans that are backed by the companies that develop them. They are similar to HECM in that they generally do not have income restrictions, and you can use the money any way you'd like. However, the value of your home and how much you still owe on your original mortgage can affect how large of a reverse mortgage you receive. Regardless which type of reverse mortgage you choose, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- Reverse mortgages do not affect your Social Security or Medicare benefits.
- You'll get to keep the title of your home.
- The reverse mortgage does not have to be paid off until the youngest borrower in the home dies, sells the home, or no longer lives there.
- In the HECM program, you can live in a nursing home for up to 12 consecutive months before you have to start paying the loan back.
- Some reverse mortgages have fixed rate interest, but many come with adjustable rates.
- The amount you owe on a reverse mortgage grows over time. Interest is charged to the outstanding balance and added to the amount you owe each month.
Media Contact: Daniel Torelli, RealtyPin.com, 514-836-1432, [email protected]
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,558
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,483
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,676
While DevOps promises a better and tighter integration among an organization’s development and operation teams and transforms an application life cycle into a continual deployment, Chef and Azure together provides a speedy, cost-effective and highly scalable vehicle for realizing the business values of this transformation. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, a Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, will present a unique opportunity to witness how Chef and Azure work tog...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,512
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,411
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 24, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,013
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,178
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,624
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,670
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,471
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 730
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 741
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,015
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Robert Doyle, lead architect at eCube Systems, will examine the issues and need for an agile infrastructure and show the advantages of capturing developer knowledge in an exportable file for migration into production. He will introduce the use of NXTmonitor, a next-generation DevOps tool that captures application environments, dependencies and start/stop procedures in a portable configuration file with an easy-to-use GUI. In addition to captu...
Sep. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 945
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Channels will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The bedrock of Secure Channels Technology is a uniquely modified and enhanced process based on superencipherment. Superencipherment is the process of encrypting an already encrypted message one or more times, either using the same or a different algorithm.
Sep. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,396