|By PR Newswire||
|November 12, 2012 10:32 PM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire-iReach/ --
If you're near retirement age, and need some funding to finance home renovations, pay off your current mortgage, or to help cover medical expenses, there is a way to get cash fast -- without taking out a loan. It's called a "reverse mortgage", and many Americans over the age of 62 are taking advantage of it these days. How does it work? In a traditional mortgage, you pay your lender. In a reverse mortgage, your lender actually pays you. That's because in a reverse mortgage, you convert the equity of your home into cash, and you don't have to repay the loan as long as you live in the home. Instead, the loan is repaid to the lender when you die, sell the home, or when it's no longer your primary residence.In most cases, the proceeds of this type of loan are tax-free, and many reverse mortgages do not have income restrictions. There are three types of reverse mortgages:
1. Single-Purpose Reverse Mortgages -- Offered by some state and local government agencies and non-profit organizations, these are usually the cheapest option. Like the name implies, these can only be used for one purpose, as specified by the lender. For example, if you need money specifically to pay off medical bills, a lender may grant you this type of reverse mortgage, but you can only use the money for that purpose, and must provide proof that you are doing so. Typically, single-purpose reverse mortgages are for people with low to moderate income levels.
2. Federally-Insured Reverse Mortgages -- These are often referred to as Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECM) and are backed by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Before applying for a HECM, you are required to meet with an independent government-approved housing counseling agent to go over the costs and alternative options. These reverse mortgages are very common, and they don't come with any income or use restrictions. The only catch is that the amount of money you can borrow is determined by your age, the appraised value of the home, and current interest rates. There are also several options of how you receive the money. You may get a fixed amount each month, fixed cash advances, or a line of credit where you can draw money whenever you need it. One thing to remember -- these reverse mortgages come with upfront costs. Be prepared to pay origination fees, a mortgage insurance premium, and closing costs.
3. Proprietary Reverse Mortgages -- These are private loans that are backed by the companies that develop them. They are similar to HECM in that they generally do not have income restrictions, and you can use the money any way you'd like. However, the value of your home and how much you still owe on your original mortgage can affect how large of a reverse mortgage you receive. Regardless which type of reverse mortgage you choose, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- Reverse mortgages do not affect your Social Security or Medicare benefits.
- You'll get to keep the title of your home.
- The reverse mortgage does not have to be paid off until the youngest borrower in the home dies, sells the home, or no longer lives there.
- In the HECM program, you can live in a nursing home for up to 12 consecutive months before you have to start paying the loan back.
- Some reverse mortgages have fixed rate interest, but many come with adjustable rates.
- The amount you owe on a reverse mortgage grows over time. Interest is charged to the outstanding balance and added to the amount you owe each month.
Media Contact: Daniel Torelli, RealtyPin.com, 514-836-1432, [email protected]
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as...
Aug. 31, 2015 09:40 AM EDT
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ET...
Aug. 31, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 121
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 31, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 198
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Aug. 31, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 532
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Aug. 31, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 393
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 31, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 403
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Aug. 31, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 224
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Aug. 31, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 482
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 31, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 450
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 396
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 348
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 30, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 370
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 134
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 466
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 156