|By PR Newswire||
|November 13, 2012 05:36 PM EST||
Five new members bring public and private sector expertise to group's nationwide legislative and regulatory reform activities
WASHINGTON, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A former chief medical officer of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), pharmaceutical executive, and insurance industry legal counsel are among the five new members elected to the National Patient Advocacy Foundation (NPAF) Executive Board of Directors for 2013.
Members of the executive board – comprised of a network of research and community oncologists, attorneys, legislators, healthcare industry representatives, and advocates – lend their knowledge and expertise to NPAF's goal of providing the patient voice in improving access to, and reimbursement for, high-quality healthcare through regulatory and legislative reform.
"We are so pleased and excited to welcome this group of renowned experts to NPAF's Executive Board, and look forward to working with them in order to improve the lives of the countless Americans who depend on us to advocate for their healthcare," said Nancy Davenport-Ennis, NPAF's Chair and Chief Executive Officer. "Our board members are invaluable to ensuring the voices of patients served in the Patient Advocate Foundation, the companion organization to NPAF, are represented in the policy positions presented by NPAF in Washington, DC and in the fifty states. We appreciate their leadership and willingness to lend their time and talents to such an important endeavor."
Joining the 12 existing members of NPAF's board are:
- Barry M. Straube, MD, Director at the Marwood Group, is an expert in federal regulatory issues being addressed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Dr. Straube provides health care advisory and financial services to institutional investors, corporations and trade associations. Prior to joining the Marwood Group in 2011, he was Chief Medical Officer for CMS, as well as the Director of the CMS Office of Clinical Standards & Quality (OCSQ). Serving in those roles from 2005-2011, his office led Medicare coverage decision-making; quality standards oversight for U.S. healthcare facilities; quality measurement and health assessment tools; information technology systems for clinical quality data; quality improvement/innovation plus value-based purchasing initiatives; and many other activities in the Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP programs, not the least of which included implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. Dr. Straube also serves on multiple scientific and public policy Advisory Boards.
- John Caldwell, CPA, MST, CGMA, Managing Partner, Malvin, Riggins & Company, PC, is an expert in accounting and financial services management. As a certified public accountant, Mr. Caldwell provides professional accounting, tax and small business advisory services to individual and business clients through his national consulting agencies in eight states.
- John Harrington is the recently retired Chief Commercial Officer for Sanofi-Aventis Oncology after nearly forty years of service. Mr. Harrington was responsible for the Global Marketing and Sales responsibilities for the Sanofi-Aventis Oncology Portfolio. In addition to his extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry, he is active in the cancer community, including serving as a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Mr. Harrington is widely regarded as an expert in health in pharma-bio technology development and marketing issues, as well as the role of advocacy relationships with industry.
- Diane Mauk, Founder of Software Architects, LLC: Mrs. Mauk provides strategic project management and solutions architecture for large-scale identity management and health IT systems through her company Software Architects, LLC. Since 2010, Mrs. Mauk has served on the Board of BrainWaves, an organization focused on raising funds in support of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. Mrs. Mauk is regarded as an expert in software development and nonprofit fundraising.
- Otis Maynard, Associate General Counsel for United Health Group: With United Health Group, Mr. Maynard provides legal support to Benefit Operations in the Employer and Individual business segment. He serves on the Community Relations Committee for the Connecticut Children's Medical Center, is engaged with various mentoring activities for minority students in his community and is an active mentor with the Law School Mentoring Program sponsored by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. Mr. Maynard is regarded as an expert in health insurance issues nationally with personal diversity with nonprofit services of board of directors at Connecticut's Children's Medical Center.
SOURCE National Patient Advocate Foundation
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 8, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 158
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 8, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 571
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 8, 2016 03:00 PM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 204
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 338
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 371
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 8, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 167
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 354
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., focused on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what do...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 231
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 137
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 151
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 8, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 380
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 8, 2016 10:15 AM EST Reads: 361
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 8, 2016 09:45 AM EST Reads: 166
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 8, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 329