|By PR Newswire||
|November 13, 2012 05:36 PM EST||
Five new members bring public and private sector expertise to group's nationwide legislative and regulatory reform activities
WASHINGTON, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A former chief medical officer of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), pharmaceutical executive, and insurance industry legal counsel are among the five new members elected to the National Patient Advocacy Foundation (NPAF) Executive Board of Directors for 2013.
Members of the executive board – comprised of a network of research and community oncologists, attorneys, legislators, healthcare industry representatives, and advocates – lend their knowledge and expertise to NPAF's goal of providing the patient voice in improving access to, and reimbursement for, high-quality healthcare through regulatory and legislative reform.
"We are so pleased and excited to welcome this group of renowned experts to NPAF's Executive Board, and look forward to working with them in order to improve the lives of the countless Americans who depend on us to advocate for their healthcare," said Nancy Davenport-Ennis, NPAF's Chair and Chief Executive Officer. "Our board members are invaluable to ensuring the voices of patients served in the Patient Advocate Foundation, the companion organization to NPAF, are represented in the policy positions presented by NPAF in Washington, DC and in the fifty states. We appreciate their leadership and willingness to lend their time and talents to such an important endeavor."
Joining the 12 existing members of NPAF's board are:
- Barry M. Straube, MD, Director at the Marwood Group, is an expert in federal regulatory issues being addressed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Dr. Straube provides health care advisory and financial services to institutional investors, corporations and trade associations. Prior to joining the Marwood Group in 2011, he was Chief Medical Officer for CMS, as well as the Director of the CMS Office of Clinical Standards & Quality (OCSQ). Serving in those roles from 2005-2011, his office led Medicare coverage decision-making; quality standards oversight for U.S. healthcare facilities; quality measurement and health assessment tools; information technology systems for clinical quality data; quality improvement/innovation plus value-based purchasing initiatives; and many other activities in the Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP programs, not the least of which included implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. Dr. Straube also serves on multiple scientific and public policy Advisory Boards.
- John Caldwell, CPA, MST, CGMA, Managing Partner, Malvin, Riggins & Company, PC, is an expert in accounting and financial services management. As a certified public accountant, Mr. Caldwell provides professional accounting, tax and small business advisory services to individual and business clients through his national consulting agencies in eight states.
- John Harrington is the recently retired Chief Commercial Officer for Sanofi-Aventis Oncology after nearly forty years of service. Mr. Harrington was responsible for the Global Marketing and Sales responsibilities for the Sanofi-Aventis Oncology Portfolio. In addition to his extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry, he is active in the cancer community, including serving as a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Mr. Harrington is widely regarded as an expert in health in pharma-bio technology development and marketing issues, as well as the role of advocacy relationships with industry.
- Diane Mauk, Founder of Software Architects, LLC: Mrs. Mauk provides strategic project management and solutions architecture for large-scale identity management and health IT systems through her company Software Architects, LLC. Since 2010, Mrs. Mauk has served on the Board of BrainWaves, an organization focused on raising funds in support of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. Mrs. Mauk is regarded as an expert in software development and nonprofit fundraising.
- Otis Maynard, Associate General Counsel for United Health Group: With United Health Group, Mr. Maynard provides legal support to Benefit Operations in the Employer and Individual business segment. He serves on the Community Relations Committee for the Connecticut Children's Medical Center, is engaged with various mentoring activities for minority students in his community and is an active mentor with the Law School Mentoring Program sponsored by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. Mr. Maynard is regarded as an expert in health insurance issues nationally with personal diversity with nonprofit services of board of directors at Connecticut's Children's Medical Center.
SOURCE National Patient Advocate Foundation
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 31, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,336
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,803
In today's enterprise, digital transformation represents organizational change even more so than technology change, as customer preferences and behavior drive end-to-end transformation across lines of business as well as IT. To capitalize on the ubiquitous disruption driving this transformation, companies must be able to innovate at an increasingly rapid pace. Traditional approaches for driving innovation are now woefully inadequate for keeping up with the breadth of disruption and change facin...
May. 31, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,626
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,756
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 833
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 31, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 862
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
May. 31, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 840
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 31, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,034
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,194
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,371
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 31, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,374
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 31, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,587
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 31, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,432
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 31, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,075
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 31, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,117