|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 03:02 AM EST||
WOKINGHAM, England, November 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
On World Diabetes Day, outputs from a consultation with physicians, including cardiologists and diabetologists, held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) in Madrid, has highlighted a requirement for improved guidance on how to treat cardiovascular disease risk in patients at risk of developing diabetes.
This call for guidance has come in response to further evidence presented at the WCPD that demonstrates how statins differ in their effect on developing diabetes., In addition, consulted physicians noted that recent warnings about the potential for statins to cause diabetes in certain patients were causing other treating physicians to be more cautious about prescribing these lipid-lowering drugs.
"Although no-one doubts the huge benefit of statins in reducing cardiovascular disease," said Prof Kausik Ray, Professor of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, St George's, University of London, "these insights demonstrate how the medical community is taking the diabetogenic risk of statins seriously and highlight the need for further research and guidance in how to treat patients with high cholesterol who are at risk of developing diabetes."
Although statins are considered safe and well-tolerated, conflicting data exist regarding the effects of some statins on the risk of developing diabetes. The largest meta-analysis of these data included 13 trials with a total of 91,140 participants and concluded that statin therapy is associated with a 9% increased risk of new-onset diabetes. These studies resulted in a change made to the labels of some statins to include a warning of this risk.
Mechanisms explaining the potentially higher incidence of diabetes with statin therapy have not yet been identified and studies looking at statins' effect on glucose metabolism suggest that the effect may differ between statins. There are a number of markers that can be used to measure impacts on glucose metabolism such as increased fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c in the blood. Some statins (e.g. atorvastatin) have been associated with increased HbA1c levels in patients receiving intensive, but not moderate, therapy., Other statins (e.g. pitavastatin) have demonstrated neutral or favourable effects on glucose control in patients with and without diabetes or metabolic syndrome.-
New data presented during the WCPD demonstrated that both pitavastatin and pravastatin have no effect on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients and over 6 months in a group of patients with carefully defined metabolic syndrome who have multiple risk factors for diabetes. These data add to the building body of evidence suggesting pitavastatin has a positive effect on glucose metabolism and hence may not carry the same risk of developing diabetes as other statins.,- The J-PREDICT trial, currently being undertaken in Japan, will aim to clarify these data by evaluating the effect of pitavastatin on the risk for diabetes in more than 1,200 people with impaired glucose tolerance. This study is due to finish in 2015.
About the consultation
The consultation was conducted at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
LIVAZO® (pitavastatin) is a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor indicated for patients with primary hyperlipidemia and mixed dyslipidemia as an adjunctive therapy to diet to reduce elevated TC, LDL-C, Apo B, TG, and to increase HDL-C. LIVAZO® is predominantly metabolized via glucuronidation and is only minimally metabolised by CYP system, which may help reduce its potential for CYP-mediated drug-drug interactions.
LIVAZO®, also known as LIVALO® and ALIPZA® in some markets, has been available in Spain, Portugal and Lebanon since 2011 and is available in the US (2010), Mexico (2012), Japan (2003), South Korea (2005), Thailand (2008), China (2009), Indonesia (2012) and Taiwan (2012).
In much of Europe, pitavastatin will be marketed by Recordati as LIVAZO®. Pitavastatin is available in three dosage strengths (1mg, 2mg and 4mg). For more information about the geographical availability of pitavastatin and marketing companies please visit the Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe website www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu
Kowa Company, Ltd. (KCL) is a privately held multinational company headquartered in Nagoya, Japan. Established in 1894, KCL is actively engaged in various business fields with major focuses on the manufacturing and sales of pharmaceutical products, LED lighting equipment and green products, and the trading of textile goods, machinery, building materials and chemical products. KCL's pharmaceutical division was founded in 1947, and is focused on cardiovascular therapeutics, with sales of the company's flagship product, pitavastatin (known as LIVALO®, LIVAZO® and ALIPZA® in different markets) totalling €500 million (approximately 16% market share) in Japan during 2011 fiscal year.
Kowa Research Europe Ltd. (KRE), established in 1999 in the United Kingdom, is responsible for European clinical trials for Kowa's strategic global pharmaceutical development.
Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe (KPE) Co. Ltd, established in 2000, is a specialty pharmaceutical company located in Wokingham, UK, focused primarily on cardiometabolic therapeutics. Working in harmony with KRE, these European pharmaceutical divisions of Japanese Kowa Company, Ltd. are committed to ground-breaking research, development and marketing to ensure quality products are made available to people around the world, enabling them to enjoy a better standard of health and a more comfortable life.
Visit our New Website: www.Kowapharmaceuticals.eu/
- Kowa data on file. Report from consultation at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
- Sponseller CA, Stender S, Zhu B, et al. Neutral effects of pitavastatin and pravastatin on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed lipidemia. Abstract 2421526. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Hounslow N, Robillard P, Suzuki M, et al. Pitavastatin is without effect on glycaemic parameters in metabolic syndrome. Abstract 7161542. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Armitage J. The safety of statins in clinical practice. Lancet. 2007;370:1781-90.
- Sattar N, Preiss D, Murray HM, et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials. Lancet. 2010;375(9716):735-742.
- Koh KK, Quon MJ, Han SH, et al. Atorvastatin causes insulin resistance and increases ambient glycemia in hypercholesterolemic patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:1209-1216.
- Sabatine MS, Wiviott SD, Morrow DA, et al. High-dose atorvastatin associated with worse glycemic control: a PROVE-IT TIMI 22 substudy. Circ. 2004;110(Suppl 3):834.
- Yamakawa T, Takano T, Tanaka S, et al. Influence of pitavastatin on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2008;15:269-275.
- Yokote K, Saito Y. Influence of statins on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: subanalysis of the collaborative study on hypercholesterolemia drug intervention and their benefits for atherosclerosis prevention (CHIBA study). J Atheroscler Thromb. 2009;16:297-298.
- Teramoto T, Urashima M, Shimano H, et al. A large-scale study on cardio-cerebrovascular events during pitavastatin (LIVALO tablet) therapy in Japanese patients with hypercholesterolemia LIVES 5-year extension study. Jpn Pharmacol Ther. 2011;39:789-803.
- Teramoto T, Shimano H, Yokote K, Urashima M. New evidence on pitavastatin: efficacy and safety in clinical studies. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11:817-828.
- Saku K, Zhang B, Noda K, et al. Randomized head-to-head comparison of pitavastatin, atorvastatin and rosuvastatin for safety and efficacy - The PATROL study. Circ J. 2011;75(6):1493-505.
- Kryzhanovski V, Morgan R, Sponseller C et al. Pitavastatin 4mg provides significantly greater reduction in LDL-C compared to pravastatin 40mg with neutral effects on glucose metabolism: prespecified safety analysis from the short-term phase 4 prevail UK trial in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia. JACC. 2012;59:E1692
- Baker WL, Talati R, White CM, Coleman CI. Differing effect of statins on insulin sensitivity in non-diabetics: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010;87(1):98-107.
- Gumprecht J, Gosho M, Budinski D, Hounslow N. Comparative long-term efficacy and tolerability of pitavastatin 4 mg and atorvastatin 20-40 mg in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and combined (mixed) dyslipidaemia. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011;13(11):1047-55.
- Kryzhanovski V, Eriksson M, Hounslow N and Sponseller C. Short-term and long-term effects of pitavastatin and simvastatin on fasting plasma glucose in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia and >2 risk factors for coronary heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59(13s1):E1659.
- Yamazaki T, Kishimoto J, Ito C et al. Japan Prevention Trial of Diabetes by Pitavastatin in Patients With Impaired Glucose Tolerance (the J-PREDICT study): rationale, study design, and clinical characteristics of 1269 patients. Diabetol Int. 2011;2:134-40.
- Pitavastatin Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at http://www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu/_client/pdfs/livazo_smpc.pdf Accessed Sep 2012
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,122
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,040
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,824
Deploying applications in hybrid cloud environments is hard work. Your team spends most of the time maintaining your infrastructure, configuring dev/test and production environments, and deploying applications across environments – which can be both time consuming and error prone. But what if you could automate provisioning and deployment to deliver error free environments faster? What could you do with your free time?
Aug. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,944
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 695
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,934
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 753
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,503
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 754
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,664
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,430
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 858
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 701
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,971