|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 03:02 AM EST||
WOKINGHAM, England, November 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
On World Diabetes Day, outputs from a consultation with physicians, including cardiologists and diabetologists, held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) in Madrid, has highlighted a requirement for improved guidance on how to treat cardiovascular disease risk in patients at risk of developing diabetes.
This call for guidance has come in response to further evidence presented at the WCPD that demonstrates how statins differ in their effect on developing diabetes., In addition, consulted physicians noted that recent warnings about the potential for statins to cause diabetes in certain patients were causing other treating physicians to be more cautious about prescribing these lipid-lowering drugs.
"Although no-one doubts the huge benefit of statins in reducing cardiovascular disease," said Prof Kausik Ray, Professor of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, St George's, University of London, "these insights demonstrate how the medical community is taking the diabetogenic risk of statins seriously and highlight the need for further research and guidance in how to treat patients with high cholesterol who are at risk of developing diabetes."
Although statins are considered safe and well-tolerated, conflicting data exist regarding the effects of some statins on the risk of developing diabetes. The largest meta-analysis of these data included 13 trials with a total of 91,140 participants and concluded that statin therapy is associated with a 9% increased risk of new-onset diabetes. These studies resulted in a change made to the labels of some statins to include a warning of this risk.
Mechanisms explaining the potentially higher incidence of diabetes with statin therapy have not yet been identified and studies looking at statins' effect on glucose metabolism suggest that the effect may differ between statins. There are a number of markers that can be used to measure impacts on glucose metabolism such as increased fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c in the blood. Some statins (e.g. atorvastatin) have been associated with increased HbA1c levels in patients receiving intensive, but not moderate, therapy., Other statins (e.g. pitavastatin) have demonstrated neutral or favourable effects on glucose control in patients with and without diabetes or metabolic syndrome.-
New data presented during the WCPD demonstrated that both pitavastatin and pravastatin have no effect on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients and over 6 months in a group of patients with carefully defined metabolic syndrome who have multiple risk factors for diabetes. These data add to the building body of evidence suggesting pitavastatin has a positive effect on glucose metabolism and hence may not carry the same risk of developing diabetes as other statins.,- The J-PREDICT trial, currently being undertaken in Japan, will aim to clarify these data by evaluating the effect of pitavastatin on the risk for diabetes in more than 1,200 people with impaired glucose tolerance. This study is due to finish in 2015.
About the consultation
The consultation was conducted at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
LIVAZO® (pitavastatin) is a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor indicated for patients with primary hyperlipidemia and mixed dyslipidemia as an adjunctive therapy to diet to reduce elevated TC, LDL-C, Apo B, TG, and to increase HDL-C. LIVAZO® is predominantly metabolized via glucuronidation and is only minimally metabolised by CYP system, which may help reduce its potential for CYP-mediated drug-drug interactions.
LIVAZO®, also known as LIVALO® and ALIPZA® in some markets, has been available in Spain, Portugal and Lebanon since 2011 and is available in the US (2010), Mexico (2012), Japan (2003), South Korea (2005), Thailand (2008), China (2009), Indonesia (2012) and Taiwan (2012).
In much of Europe, pitavastatin will be marketed by Recordati as LIVAZO®. Pitavastatin is available in three dosage strengths (1mg, 2mg and 4mg). For more information about the geographical availability of pitavastatin and marketing companies please visit the Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe website www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu
Kowa Company, Ltd. (KCL) is a privately held multinational company headquartered in Nagoya, Japan. Established in 1894, KCL is actively engaged in various business fields with major focuses on the manufacturing and sales of pharmaceutical products, LED lighting equipment and green products, and the trading of textile goods, machinery, building materials and chemical products. KCL's pharmaceutical division was founded in 1947, and is focused on cardiovascular therapeutics, with sales of the company's flagship product, pitavastatin (known as LIVALO®, LIVAZO® and ALIPZA® in different markets) totalling €500 million (approximately 16% market share) in Japan during 2011 fiscal year.
Kowa Research Europe Ltd. (KRE), established in 1999 in the United Kingdom, is responsible for European clinical trials for Kowa's strategic global pharmaceutical development.
Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe (KPE) Co. Ltd, established in 2000, is a specialty pharmaceutical company located in Wokingham, UK, focused primarily on cardiometabolic therapeutics. Working in harmony with KRE, these European pharmaceutical divisions of Japanese Kowa Company, Ltd. are committed to ground-breaking research, development and marketing to ensure quality products are made available to people around the world, enabling them to enjoy a better standard of health and a more comfortable life.
Visit our New Website: www.Kowapharmaceuticals.eu/
- Kowa data on file. Report from consultation at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
- Sponseller CA, Stender S, Zhu B, et al. Neutral effects of pitavastatin and pravastatin on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed lipidemia. Abstract 2421526. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Hounslow N, Robillard P, Suzuki M, et al. Pitavastatin is without effect on glycaemic parameters in metabolic syndrome. Abstract 7161542. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Armitage J. The safety of statins in clinical practice. Lancet. 2007;370:1781-90.
- Sattar N, Preiss D, Murray HM, et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials. Lancet. 2010;375(9716):735-742.
- Koh KK, Quon MJ, Han SH, et al. Atorvastatin causes insulin resistance and increases ambient glycemia in hypercholesterolemic patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:1209-1216.
- Sabatine MS, Wiviott SD, Morrow DA, et al. High-dose atorvastatin associated with worse glycemic control: a PROVE-IT TIMI 22 substudy. Circ. 2004;110(Suppl 3):834.
- Yamakawa T, Takano T, Tanaka S, et al. Influence of pitavastatin on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2008;15:269-275.
- Yokote K, Saito Y. Influence of statins on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: subanalysis of the collaborative study on hypercholesterolemia drug intervention and their benefits for atherosclerosis prevention (CHIBA study). J Atheroscler Thromb. 2009;16:297-298.
- Teramoto T, Urashima M, Shimano H, et al. A large-scale study on cardio-cerebrovascular events during pitavastatin (LIVALO tablet) therapy in Japanese patients with hypercholesterolemia LIVES 5-year extension study. Jpn Pharmacol Ther. 2011;39:789-803.
- Teramoto T, Shimano H, Yokote K, Urashima M. New evidence on pitavastatin: efficacy and safety in clinical studies. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11:817-828.
- Saku K, Zhang B, Noda K, et al. Randomized head-to-head comparison of pitavastatin, atorvastatin and rosuvastatin for safety and efficacy - The PATROL study. Circ J. 2011;75(6):1493-505.
- Kryzhanovski V, Morgan R, Sponseller C et al. Pitavastatin 4mg provides significantly greater reduction in LDL-C compared to pravastatin 40mg with neutral effects on glucose metabolism: prespecified safety analysis from the short-term phase 4 prevail UK trial in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia. JACC. 2012;59:E1692
- Baker WL, Talati R, White CM, Coleman CI. Differing effect of statins on insulin sensitivity in non-diabetics: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010;87(1):98-107.
- Gumprecht J, Gosho M, Budinski D, Hounslow N. Comparative long-term efficacy and tolerability of pitavastatin 4 mg and atorvastatin 20-40 mg in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and combined (mixed) dyslipidaemia. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011;13(11):1047-55.
- Kryzhanovski V, Eriksson M, Hounslow N and Sponseller C. Short-term and long-term effects of pitavastatin and simvastatin on fasting plasma glucose in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia and >2 risk factors for coronary heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59(13s1):E1659.
- Yamazaki T, Kishimoto J, Ito C et al. Japan Prevention Trial of Diabetes by Pitavastatin in Patients With Impaired Glucose Tolerance (the J-PREDICT study): rationale, study design, and clinical characteristics of 1269 patients. Diabetol Int. 2011;2:134-40.
- Pitavastatin Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at http://www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu/_client/pdfs/livazo_smpc.pdf Accessed Sep 2012
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 6, 2016 07:15 AM EST Reads: 710
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 6, 2016 07:15 AM EST Reads: 1,823
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 6, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 816
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 6, 2016 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,102
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 6, 2016 06:15 AM EST Reads: 760
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 6, 2016 06:00 AM EST Reads: 463
Kubernetes is a new and revolutionary open-sourced system for managing containers across multiple hosts in a cluster. Ansible is a simple IT automation tool for just about any requirement for reproducible environments. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Patrick Galbraith, a principal engineer at HPE, discussed how to build a fully functional Kubernetes cluster on a number of virtual machines or bare-metal hosts. Also included will be a brief demonstration of running a Galera MyS...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:45 AM EST Reads: 5,290
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,647
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 999
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 1,930
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 1,754
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 820
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 6, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 1,848
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 853
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 4,591