|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 03:02 AM EST||
WOKINGHAM, England, November 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
On World Diabetes Day, outputs from a consultation with physicians, including cardiologists and diabetologists, held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) in Madrid, has highlighted a requirement for improved guidance on how to treat cardiovascular disease risk in patients at risk of developing diabetes.
This call for guidance has come in response to further evidence presented at the WCPD that demonstrates how statins differ in their effect on developing diabetes., In addition, consulted physicians noted that recent warnings about the potential for statins to cause diabetes in certain patients were causing other treating physicians to be more cautious about prescribing these lipid-lowering drugs.
"Although no-one doubts the huge benefit of statins in reducing cardiovascular disease," said Prof Kausik Ray, Professor of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, St George's, University of London, "these insights demonstrate how the medical community is taking the diabetogenic risk of statins seriously and highlight the need for further research and guidance in how to treat patients with high cholesterol who are at risk of developing diabetes."
Although statins are considered safe and well-tolerated, conflicting data exist regarding the effects of some statins on the risk of developing diabetes. The largest meta-analysis of these data included 13 trials with a total of 91,140 participants and concluded that statin therapy is associated with a 9% increased risk of new-onset diabetes. These studies resulted in a change made to the labels of some statins to include a warning of this risk.
Mechanisms explaining the potentially higher incidence of diabetes with statin therapy have not yet been identified and studies looking at statins' effect on glucose metabolism suggest that the effect may differ between statins. There are a number of markers that can be used to measure impacts on glucose metabolism such as increased fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c in the blood. Some statins (e.g. atorvastatin) have been associated with increased HbA1c levels in patients receiving intensive, but not moderate, therapy., Other statins (e.g. pitavastatin) have demonstrated neutral or favourable effects on glucose control in patients with and without diabetes or metabolic syndrome.-
New data presented during the WCPD demonstrated that both pitavastatin and pravastatin have no effect on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients and over 6 months in a group of patients with carefully defined metabolic syndrome who have multiple risk factors for diabetes. These data add to the building body of evidence suggesting pitavastatin has a positive effect on glucose metabolism and hence may not carry the same risk of developing diabetes as other statins.,- The J-PREDICT trial, currently being undertaken in Japan, will aim to clarify these data by evaluating the effect of pitavastatin on the risk for diabetes in more than 1,200 people with impaired glucose tolerance. This study is due to finish in 2015.
About the consultation
The consultation was conducted at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
LIVAZO® (pitavastatin) is a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor indicated for patients with primary hyperlipidemia and mixed dyslipidemia as an adjunctive therapy to diet to reduce elevated TC, LDL-C, Apo B, TG, and to increase HDL-C. LIVAZO® is predominantly metabolized via glucuronidation and is only minimally metabolised by CYP system, which may help reduce its potential for CYP-mediated drug-drug interactions.
LIVAZO®, also known as LIVALO® and ALIPZA® in some markets, has been available in Spain, Portugal and Lebanon since 2011 and is available in the US (2010), Mexico (2012), Japan (2003), South Korea (2005), Thailand (2008), China (2009), Indonesia (2012) and Taiwan (2012).
In much of Europe, pitavastatin will be marketed by Recordati as LIVAZO®. Pitavastatin is available in three dosage strengths (1mg, 2mg and 4mg). For more information about the geographical availability of pitavastatin and marketing companies please visit the Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe website www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu
Kowa Company, Ltd. (KCL) is a privately held multinational company headquartered in Nagoya, Japan. Established in 1894, KCL is actively engaged in various business fields with major focuses on the manufacturing and sales of pharmaceutical products, LED lighting equipment and green products, and the trading of textile goods, machinery, building materials and chemical products. KCL's pharmaceutical division was founded in 1947, and is focused on cardiovascular therapeutics, with sales of the company's flagship product, pitavastatin (known as LIVALO®, LIVAZO® and ALIPZA® in different markets) totalling €500 million (approximately 16% market share) in Japan during 2011 fiscal year.
Kowa Research Europe Ltd. (KRE), established in 1999 in the United Kingdom, is responsible for European clinical trials for Kowa's strategic global pharmaceutical development.
Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe (KPE) Co. Ltd, established in 2000, is a specialty pharmaceutical company located in Wokingham, UK, focused primarily on cardiometabolic therapeutics. Working in harmony with KRE, these European pharmaceutical divisions of Japanese Kowa Company, Ltd. are committed to ground-breaking research, development and marketing to ensure quality products are made available to people around the world, enabling them to enjoy a better standard of health and a more comfortable life.
Visit our New Website: www.Kowapharmaceuticals.eu/
- Kowa data on file. Report from consultation at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
- Sponseller CA, Stender S, Zhu B, et al. Neutral effects of pitavastatin and pravastatin on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed lipidemia. Abstract 2421526. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Hounslow N, Robillard P, Suzuki M, et al. Pitavastatin is without effect on glycaemic parameters in metabolic syndrome. Abstract 7161542. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Armitage J. The safety of statins in clinical practice. Lancet. 2007;370:1781-90.
- Sattar N, Preiss D, Murray HM, et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials. Lancet. 2010;375(9716):735-742.
- Koh KK, Quon MJ, Han SH, et al. Atorvastatin causes insulin resistance and increases ambient glycemia in hypercholesterolemic patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:1209-1216.
- Sabatine MS, Wiviott SD, Morrow DA, et al. High-dose atorvastatin associated with worse glycemic control: a PROVE-IT TIMI 22 substudy. Circ. 2004;110(Suppl 3):834.
- Yamakawa T, Takano T, Tanaka S, et al. Influence of pitavastatin on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2008;15:269-275.
- Yokote K, Saito Y. Influence of statins on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: subanalysis of the collaborative study on hypercholesterolemia drug intervention and their benefits for atherosclerosis prevention (CHIBA study). J Atheroscler Thromb. 2009;16:297-298.
- Teramoto T, Urashima M, Shimano H, et al. A large-scale study on cardio-cerebrovascular events during pitavastatin (LIVALO tablet) therapy in Japanese patients with hypercholesterolemia LIVES 5-year extension study. Jpn Pharmacol Ther. 2011;39:789-803.
- Teramoto T, Shimano H, Yokote K, Urashima M. New evidence on pitavastatin: efficacy and safety in clinical studies. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11:817-828.
- Saku K, Zhang B, Noda K, et al. Randomized head-to-head comparison of pitavastatin, atorvastatin and rosuvastatin for safety and efficacy - The PATROL study. Circ J. 2011;75(6):1493-505.
- Kryzhanovski V, Morgan R, Sponseller C et al. Pitavastatin 4mg provides significantly greater reduction in LDL-C compared to pravastatin 40mg with neutral effects on glucose metabolism: prespecified safety analysis from the short-term phase 4 prevail UK trial in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia. JACC. 2012;59:E1692
- Baker WL, Talati R, White CM, Coleman CI. Differing effect of statins on insulin sensitivity in non-diabetics: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010;87(1):98-107.
- Gumprecht J, Gosho M, Budinski D, Hounslow N. Comparative long-term efficacy and tolerability of pitavastatin 4 mg and atorvastatin 20-40 mg in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and combined (mixed) dyslipidaemia. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011;13(11):1047-55.
- Kryzhanovski V, Eriksson M, Hounslow N and Sponseller C. Short-term and long-term effects of pitavastatin and simvastatin on fasting plasma glucose in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia and >2 risk factors for coronary heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59(13s1):E1659.
- Yamazaki T, Kishimoto J, Ito C et al. Japan Prevention Trial of Diabetes by Pitavastatin in Patients With Impaired Glucose Tolerance (the J-PREDICT study): rationale, study design, and clinical characteristics of 1269 patients. Diabetol Int. 2011;2:134-40.
- Pitavastatin Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at http://www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu/_client/pdfs/livazo_smpc.pdf Accessed Sep 2012
"eFolder does a lot of different things but we protect data and we are focused on protecting data no matter where it resides," explained Carlo Tapia, Product Marketing Manager at eFolder, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EST
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Dec. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 505
Cloud computing is unquestionably one of the driving forces of DevOps, as the automation of operations transforms enterprise software development. DevOps, however, is more than a technology trend, as it represents a move toward silo-busting, self-organizing horizontal teams that drive business velocity. At the same time, enterprise Digital Transformation represents an upheaval across the enterprise, as customer preferences and behavior drive enterprise technology decisions. This transformation ...
Dec. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EST
Most of the IoT Gateway scenarios involve collecting data from machines/processing and pushing data upstream to cloud for further analytics. The gateway hardware varies from Raspberry Pi to Industrial PCs. The document states the process of allowing deploying polyglot data pipelining software with the clear notion of supporting immutability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Shashank Jain, a development architect for SAP Labs, discussed the objective, which is to automate the IoT deployment proces...
Dec. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 146
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Dec. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 385
In demand-intensive mobile and web applications, an emerging pattern is to host the Systems of Engagement in the cloud (for maximum responsiveness) but keep the Systems of Record with the other important business systems in the company datacenter, often on a tightly secured mainframe. But what about the space in between? In this IBM Redpaper publication, we show that the IBM Bluemix cloud platform offers technologies that make it easy for cloud-based SoEs to securely connect to on-premises IBM...
Dec. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EST
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Dec. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 448
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Dec. 1, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 451
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Dec. 1, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 549
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Dec. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 358
OpsHub, Inc. has announced enhanced support for DevOps and Migration for both Team Foundation Server and Visual Studio On-line in a heterogeneous environment. With added support for build and release entities in OpsHub Integration Manager (OIM) Microsoft customers can now leverage Visual Studio build and release services to manage DevOps processes in a heterogeneous environment. With the enhanced support customers can manage the DevOps process in Team Foundation Server while undertaking activit...
Dec. 1, 2015 01:42 PM EST
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Dec. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 310
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a global leader in monitoring, and testing the performance of online applications, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of DevOps Summit New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016 at the Javits Center in New York City. Catchpoint radically transforms the way businesses manage, monitor, and test the performance of online applications. Truly understand and improve user experience with clear visibility into complex, distributed online systems.Founde...
Dec. 1, 2015 12:15 PM EST
With all the incredible momentum behind the Internet of Things (IoT) industry, it is easy to forget that not a single CEO wakes up and wonders if “my IoT is broken.” What they wonder is if they are making the right decisions to do all they can to increase revenue, decrease costs, and improve customer experience – effectively the same challenges they have always had in growing their business. The exciting thing about the IoT industry is now these decisions can be better, faster, and smarter. Now ...
Dec. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 311
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Dec. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 234