|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 03:02 AM EST||
WOKINGHAM, England, November 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
On World Diabetes Day, outputs from a consultation with physicians, including cardiologists and diabetologists, held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) in Madrid, has highlighted a requirement for improved guidance on how to treat cardiovascular disease risk in patients at risk of developing diabetes.
This call for guidance has come in response to further evidence presented at the WCPD that demonstrates how statins differ in their effect on developing diabetes., In addition, consulted physicians noted that recent warnings about the potential for statins to cause diabetes in certain patients were causing other treating physicians to be more cautious about prescribing these lipid-lowering drugs.
"Although no-one doubts the huge benefit of statins in reducing cardiovascular disease," said Prof Kausik Ray, Professor of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, St George's, University of London, "these insights demonstrate how the medical community is taking the diabetogenic risk of statins seriously and highlight the need for further research and guidance in how to treat patients with high cholesterol who are at risk of developing diabetes."
Although statins are considered safe and well-tolerated, conflicting data exist regarding the effects of some statins on the risk of developing diabetes. The largest meta-analysis of these data included 13 trials with a total of 91,140 participants and concluded that statin therapy is associated with a 9% increased risk of new-onset diabetes. These studies resulted in a change made to the labels of some statins to include a warning of this risk.
Mechanisms explaining the potentially higher incidence of diabetes with statin therapy have not yet been identified and studies looking at statins' effect on glucose metabolism suggest that the effect may differ between statins. There are a number of markers that can be used to measure impacts on glucose metabolism such as increased fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c in the blood. Some statins (e.g. atorvastatin) have been associated with increased HbA1c levels in patients receiving intensive, but not moderate, therapy., Other statins (e.g. pitavastatin) have demonstrated neutral or favourable effects on glucose control in patients with and without diabetes or metabolic syndrome.-
New data presented during the WCPD demonstrated that both pitavastatin and pravastatin have no effect on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients and over 6 months in a group of patients with carefully defined metabolic syndrome who have multiple risk factors for diabetes. These data add to the building body of evidence suggesting pitavastatin has a positive effect on glucose metabolism and hence may not carry the same risk of developing diabetes as other statins.,- The J-PREDICT trial, currently being undertaken in Japan, will aim to clarify these data by evaluating the effect of pitavastatin on the risk for diabetes in more than 1,200 people with impaired glucose tolerance. This study is due to finish in 2015.
About the consultation
The consultation was conducted at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
LIVAZO® (pitavastatin) is a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor indicated for patients with primary hyperlipidemia and mixed dyslipidemia as an adjunctive therapy to diet to reduce elevated TC, LDL-C, Apo B, TG, and to increase HDL-C. LIVAZO® is predominantly metabolized via glucuronidation and is only minimally metabolised by CYP system, which may help reduce its potential for CYP-mediated drug-drug interactions.
LIVAZO®, also known as LIVALO® and ALIPZA® in some markets, has been available in Spain, Portugal and Lebanon since 2011 and is available in the US (2010), Mexico (2012), Japan (2003), South Korea (2005), Thailand (2008), China (2009), Indonesia (2012) and Taiwan (2012).
In much of Europe, pitavastatin will be marketed by Recordati as LIVAZO®. Pitavastatin is available in three dosage strengths (1mg, 2mg and 4mg). For more information about the geographical availability of pitavastatin and marketing companies please visit the Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe website www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu
Kowa Company, Ltd. (KCL) is a privately held multinational company headquartered in Nagoya, Japan. Established in 1894, KCL is actively engaged in various business fields with major focuses on the manufacturing and sales of pharmaceutical products, LED lighting equipment and green products, and the trading of textile goods, machinery, building materials and chemical products. KCL's pharmaceutical division was founded in 1947, and is focused on cardiovascular therapeutics, with sales of the company's flagship product, pitavastatin (known as LIVALO®, LIVAZO® and ALIPZA® in different markets) totalling €500 million (approximately 16% market share) in Japan during 2011 fiscal year.
Kowa Research Europe Ltd. (KRE), established in 1999 in the United Kingdom, is responsible for European clinical trials for Kowa's strategic global pharmaceutical development.
Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe (KPE) Co. Ltd, established in 2000, is a specialty pharmaceutical company located in Wokingham, UK, focused primarily on cardiometabolic therapeutics. Working in harmony with KRE, these European pharmaceutical divisions of Japanese Kowa Company, Ltd. are committed to ground-breaking research, development and marketing to ensure quality products are made available to people around the world, enabling them to enjoy a better standard of health and a more comfortable life.
Visit our New Website: www.Kowapharmaceuticals.eu/
- Kowa data on file. Report from consultation at the KOWA sponsored satellite symposium held during the World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications (WCPD) from 11-14 November 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
- Sponseller CA, Stender S, Zhu B, et al. Neutral effects of pitavastatin and pravastatin on fasting plasma glucose over 12 weeks in elderly patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed lipidemia. Abstract 2421526. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Hounslow N, Robillard P, Suzuki M, et al. Pitavastatin is without effect on glycaemic parameters in metabolic syndrome. Abstract 7161542. Presented at the 7th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications 2012. Madrid, Spain.
- Armitage J. The safety of statins in clinical practice. Lancet. 2007;370:1781-90.
- Sattar N, Preiss D, Murray HM, et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials. Lancet. 2010;375(9716):735-742.
- Koh KK, Quon MJ, Han SH, et al. Atorvastatin causes insulin resistance and increases ambient glycemia in hypercholesterolemic patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:1209-1216.
- Sabatine MS, Wiviott SD, Morrow DA, et al. High-dose atorvastatin associated with worse glycemic control: a PROVE-IT TIMI 22 substudy. Circ. 2004;110(Suppl 3):834.
- Yamakawa T, Takano T, Tanaka S, et al. Influence of pitavastatin on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2008;15:269-275.
- Yokote K, Saito Y. Influence of statins on glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: subanalysis of the collaborative study on hypercholesterolemia drug intervention and their benefits for atherosclerosis prevention (CHIBA study). J Atheroscler Thromb. 2009;16:297-298.
- Teramoto T, Urashima M, Shimano H, et al. A large-scale study on cardio-cerebrovascular events during pitavastatin (LIVALO tablet) therapy in Japanese patients with hypercholesterolemia LIVES 5-year extension study. Jpn Pharmacol Ther. 2011;39:789-803.
- Teramoto T, Shimano H, Yokote K, Urashima M. New evidence on pitavastatin: efficacy and safety in clinical studies. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11:817-828.
- Saku K, Zhang B, Noda K, et al. Randomized head-to-head comparison of pitavastatin, atorvastatin and rosuvastatin for safety and efficacy - The PATROL study. Circ J. 2011;75(6):1493-505.
- Kryzhanovski V, Morgan R, Sponseller C et al. Pitavastatin 4mg provides significantly greater reduction in LDL-C compared to pravastatin 40mg with neutral effects on glucose metabolism: prespecified safety analysis from the short-term phase 4 prevail UK trial in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia. JACC. 2012;59:E1692
- Baker WL, Talati R, White CM, Coleman CI. Differing effect of statins on insulin sensitivity in non-diabetics: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010;87(1):98-107.
- Gumprecht J, Gosho M, Budinski D, Hounslow N. Comparative long-term efficacy and tolerability of pitavastatin 4 mg and atorvastatin 20-40 mg in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and combined (mixed) dyslipidaemia. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011;13(11):1047-55.
- Kryzhanovski V, Eriksson M, Hounslow N and Sponseller C. Short-term and long-term effects of pitavastatin and simvastatin on fasting plasma glucose in patients with primary hyperlipidemia or mixed dyslipidemia and >2 risk factors for coronary heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59(13s1):E1659.
- Yamazaki T, Kishimoto J, Ito C et al. Japan Prevention Trial of Diabetes by Pitavastatin in Patients With Impaired Glucose Tolerance (the J-PREDICT study): rationale, study design, and clinical characteristics of 1269 patients. Diabetol Int. 2011;2:134-40.
- Pitavastatin Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at http://www.kowapharmaceuticals.eu/_client/pdfs/livazo_smpc.pdf Accessed Sep 2012
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,317
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,729
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your ...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,302
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 606
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,764
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Oct. 1, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,198
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, will explore the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and will give a real live, hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He will examine three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. This is a hands-on session that will require participants to bring their own laptops, and we will provide the rest.
Oct. 1, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,518
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Oct. 1, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,067
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Oct. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 870
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Oct. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,191
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Oct. 1, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,341
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Oct. 1, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,276
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Oct. 1, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 655
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Oct. 1, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,128