|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 04:01 AM EST||
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo., Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AMPE), a biopharmaceutical company developing repurposed drugs and new molecular entities (NMEs) that treat inflammatory diseases, including osteoarthritis, diabetic macular edema (DME) and sexual dysfunction is providing this update on its recent activities ahead of its scheduled shareholder meeting that will take place on December 15, 2012.
"Our goal is to commercialize our extensive drug and patent portfolio to the benefit of our shareholders," said Michael Macaluso, CEO. "We are now entering the pivotal clinical trial phase for the three drugs and one diagnostic device which have most near term promise and will soon either be licensed, sold, partnered or directly distributed by Ampio. Once this is accomplished, we will move up other drugs from our pipeline into the development phase."
The update is as follows:
Ampion™ is a unique anti-inflammatory biologic being developed for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing agreement with Sypharma (Australia) for the production of Ampion™ for intra articular injection. The initial production run was completed and the stability-testing program, conducted in parallel to the clinical trials, is underway.
- Ampio has recently met with the CBER division of the FDA and received guidance for the conduct of pivotal trials for approval in the USA. Both open label and placebo controlled trials will be conducted over the next year to provide the full 1,500 patient exposure for safety and clinical efficacy data. The recent FDA discussions have indicated that if the results of these trials mirror the successful outcomes seen in the Australian trials it will be sufficient for registration as a chronic use therapy and an IND is being prepared.
- Multiple sites for the conduct of the trials have been identified and several CRO proposals were received and are being evaluated.
- Ampio has an extensive portfolio of patents for Ampion™ and expects additional patents to be awarded, worldwide that encompass composition of matter, uses and synthesis patents.
Optina™ is an orally administered ultra-low dose of danazol for the treatment of diabetic macular edema (DME).
- A phase 2a clinical trial conducted in Canada demonstrated encouraging results.
- Scientific, peer-reviewed manuscripts, on the mechanism of action of the Optina™ were recently published in BBRC (Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 May 18;421(4):707-12) and as a cover story was published in Retina Today (October 2012 issue).
- Ampio has obtained the active ingredient, danazol, for the Optina clinical trial from CIPLA (Mumbai, India).
- Ampio entered into a contractual agreement for the formulation of Optina™ with Green Mountain (Denver, Colorado) to produce the ultra-low doses of Optina™, which will be used in the forthcoming phase 2b clinical trials in the USA and elsewhere. The trials will be conducted under a 505(b)2 pathway in adherence to guidance provided by the FDA at a pre-IND meeting and an IND application is being prepared.
- Ampio will conduct pivotal trials in Europe (sites identified) for this indication.
- Ampio was recently awarded multiple patents both in the USA and worldwide for Optina™.
- Ampio is engaged in discussions with potential partners for Optina™.
Sexual Dysfunction drugs
This program includes Zertane™, for the treatment of premature ejaculation (PE), and Zertane ED™, for the treatment of comorbid premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction (ED).
- Ampio has completed two phase 3 clinical trials in Europe on Zertane™.
- Ampio is poised to file an IND for pivotal trials under the 505(b)2 pathway in the USA adhering to the guidance provided by the FDA during our Pre-IND meeting.
- Ampio has identified sites to conduct its pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio will be filing for approval of Zertane™, based on the European trials results, in Australia (TGA). Approval in Australia will facilitate approval in many countries in Latin America and the Pacific Rim where we have already licensed Zertane™.
- Ampio has secured a manufacturing agreement with Ethypharm (France) to produce the ODT formulation of Zertane™, which will be used for the pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio entered into a contract with Syngene (Bangalore, India) to manufacture Zertane ED™, which will be used in clinical trials in South Korea, in compliance with FDA standards, by its partner/licensee Daewoong.
- Ampio was awarded multiple US and international patents on Zertane™ and was recently awarded patents on the combination treatment for PE and ED (as well as patents for the reduction of potential side effects of tramadol) in China, Europe and multiple other countries.
- Ampio has secured licenses in Brazil and S. Korea for these drugs and is currently in discussions with potential global partners.
- Ampio has contracted Pharmerit, Inc. (Cambridge, MA) to complete the development of the Patient Outcome for Premature Ejaculation (POPE) patient reported outcome (PRO) tool for the evaluation of premature ejaculation therapy. When completed in the next few weeks this will be the only validated PRO tool for PE in the FDA environment. The completion of the POPE trial will allow Ampio to file the IND in the USA and conclude its negotiations with pharmaceutical partners.
Methyl Phenidate derivative
NCE-001 was selected from a class of compounds belonging to analogues of methyl phenidates synthesized and patented by Ampio. In vitro experiments have demonstrated beneficial effects of NCE-001 on several cancer cell lines as well as on angiogenesis and inflammation cell models. The mechanism of action appears to be novel and will be published in peer reviewed journals.
- Ampio was awarded composition of matter patents as well as use patents worldwide for this compound and for several other analogues.
- Ampio recently entered into a preclinical development agreement for this lead compound with Syngene (Bangalore, India).
- The initial selected indications to be developed in this preclinical phase will be for cancer in the orphan drug category and for neuroinflammatory conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.
- It is anticipated that this preclinical phase up to an IND filing will be completed in approximately 14 months.
Oxidation-reduction potential (ORP)
ORP is a point of care diagnostic platform developed by Ampio for multiple indications. The platform technology includes a specifically designed, battery operated, instrument-reader and of disposable electrodes/ strips- a concept analogous to a glucometer and its disposable strips. ORP is a homeostatic parameter reflecting the balance between pro and anti-oxidants in a system (it is a measure of electron transfer). An elevated blood ORP indicates increased oxidative stress.
- Ampio has just been awarded two USA patents for the disposable electrodes and multiple additional patents are pending worldwide on various aspects of the program including use patents and others. Other patented measured and calculated parameters indicate reductive reserves, meaning how much anti-oxidant reserve does a patient have before oxidative stress starts damaging important biological structures and molecules.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing contract with UHV (San Jose, CA) for the manufacture of the single-use disposable electrodes and the instrument/reader is in its final stages of development/assembly.
- Multiple clinical studies have been completed (thousands of patients) encompassing the many potential indications for this platform technology and are awaiting final analysis and publication of results. Ampio will focus the initial clinical indication to the best obtained results from these extensive clinical studies.
- Ampio believes the ORP device will be cleared by the FDA under a 510(k).
- Ampio anticipates spinning-off this program into a separately financed entity.
Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. develops innovative proprietary drugs for inflammation, eye disease, kidney disease, CNS disease, metabolic disease and male sexual dysfunction. The product pipeline includes new uses for previously approved drugs and new molecular entities ("NMEs"). By concentrating on development of new uses for previously approved drugs, approval timelines, costs and risk of clinical failure are reduced because these drugs have strong potential to be safe and effective while their shorter development times can significantly increase near term value. A key strategy includes actively exploring partnership, licensing and other collaboration opportunities to maximize Ampio's product development programs. For more information about Ampio, please visit our website, www.ampiopharma.com.
Ampio's statements in this press release that are not historical fact and that relate to future plans or events are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by use of words such as "believe," "expect," "plan," "anticipate," and similar expressions. These forward-looking statements include risks associated with clinical trials, expected results, regulatory approvals, successful commercialization and marketing of Zertane™ and the combination drug in Korea, and changes in business conditions and similar events. The risks and uncertainties involved include those detailed from time to time in Ampio's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Ampio's Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
Contact: Rick Giles, Investor Relations, Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 720-437-6500
SOURCE Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 29, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,435
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 29, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,865
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 29, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 908
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 29, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,656
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 29, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,977
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 29, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 827
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 789
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 305
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 29, 2016 05:03 PM EDT Reads: 247
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,564
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,741
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 992
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,482
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,026
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 832