|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 04:01 AM EST||
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo., Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AMPE), a biopharmaceutical company developing repurposed drugs and new molecular entities (NMEs) that treat inflammatory diseases, including osteoarthritis, diabetic macular edema (DME) and sexual dysfunction is providing this update on its recent activities ahead of its scheduled shareholder meeting that will take place on December 15, 2012.
"Our goal is to commercialize our extensive drug and patent portfolio to the benefit of our shareholders," said Michael Macaluso, CEO. "We are now entering the pivotal clinical trial phase for the three drugs and one diagnostic device which have most near term promise and will soon either be licensed, sold, partnered or directly distributed by Ampio. Once this is accomplished, we will move up other drugs from our pipeline into the development phase."
The update is as follows:
Ampion™ is a unique anti-inflammatory biologic being developed for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing agreement with Sypharma (Australia) for the production of Ampion™ for intra articular injection. The initial production run was completed and the stability-testing program, conducted in parallel to the clinical trials, is underway.
- Ampio has recently met with the CBER division of the FDA and received guidance for the conduct of pivotal trials for approval in the USA. Both open label and placebo controlled trials will be conducted over the next year to provide the full 1,500 patient exposure for safety and clinical efficacy data. The recent FDA discussions have indicated that if the results of these trials mirror the successful outcomes seen in the Australian trials it will be sufficient for registration as a chronic use therapy and an IND is being prepared.
- Multiple sites for the conduct of the trials have been identified and several CRO proposals were received and are being evaluated.
- Ampio has an extensive portfolio of patents for Ampion™ and expects additional patents to be awarded, worldwide that encompass composition of matter, uses and synthesis patents.
Optina™ is an orally administered ultra-low dose of danazol for the treatment of diabetic macular edema (DME).
- A phase 2a clinical trial conducted in Canada demonstrated encouraging results.
- Scientific, peer-reviewed manuscripts, on the mechanism of action of the Optina™ were recently published in BBRC (Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 May 18;421(4):707-12) and as a cover story was published in Retina Today (October 2012 issue).
- Ampio has obtained the active ingredient, danazol, for the Optina clinical trial from CIPLA (Mumbai, India).
- Ampio entered into a contractual agreement for the formulation of Optina™ with Green Mountain (Denver, Colorado) to produce the ultra-low doses of Optina™, which will be used in the forthcoming phase 2b clinical trials in the USA and elsewhere. The trials will be conducted under a 505(b)2 pathway in adherence to guidance provided by the FDA at a pre-IND meeting and an IND application is being prepared.
- Ampio will conduct pivotal trials in Europe (sites identified) for this indication.
- Ampio was recently awarded multiple patents both in the USA and worldwide for Optina™.
- Ampio is engaged in discussions with potential partners for Optina™.
Sexual Dysfunction drugs
This program includes Zertane™, for the treatment of premature ejaculation (PE), and Zertane ED™, for the treatment of comorbid premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction (ED).
- Ampio has completed two phase 3 clinical trials in Europe on Zertane™.
- Ampio is poised to file an IND for pivotal trials under the 505(b)2 pathway in the USA adhering to the guidance provided by the FDA during our Pre-IND meeting.
- Ampio has identified sites to conduct its pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio will be filing for approval of Zertane™, based on the European trials results, in Australia (TGA). Approval in Australia will facilitate approval in many countries in Latin America and the Pacific Rim where we have already licensed Zertane™.
- Ampio has secured a manufacturing agreement with Ethypharm (France) to produce the ODT formulation of Zertane™, which will be used for the pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio entered into a contract with Syngene (Bangalore, India) to manufacture Zertane ED™, which will be used in clinical trials in South Korea, in compliance with FDA standards, by its partner/licensee Daewoong.
- Ampio was awarded multiple US and international patents on Zertane™ and was recently awarded patents on the combination treatment for PE and ED (as well as patents for the reduction of potential side effects of tramadol) in China, Europe and multiple other countries.
- Ampio has secured licenses in Brazil and S. Korea for these drugs and is currently in discussions with potential global partners.
- Ampio has contracted Pharmerit, Inc. (Cambridge, MA) to complete the development of the Patient Outcome for Premature Ejaculation (POPE) patient reported outcome (PRO) tool for the evaluation of premature ejaculation therapy. When completed in the next few weeks this will be the only validated PRO tool for PE in the FDA environment. The completion of the POPE trial will allow Ampio to file the IND in the USA and conclude its negotiations with pharmaceutical partners.
Methyl Phenidate derivative
NCE-001 was selected from a class of compounds belonging to analogues of methyl phenidates synthesized and patented by Ampio. In vitro experiments have demonstrated beneficial effects of NCE-001 on several cancer cell lines as well as on angiogenesis and inflammation cell models. The mechanism of action appears to be novel and will be published in peer reviewed journals.
- Ampio was awarded composition of matter patents as well as use patents worldwide for this compound and for several other analogues.
- Ampio recently entered into a preclinical development agreement for this lead compound with Syngene (Bangalore, India).
- The initial selected indications to be developed in this preclinical phase will be for cancer in the orphan drug category and for neuroinflammatory conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.
- It is anticipated that this preclinical phase up to an IND filing will be completed in approximately 14 months.
Oxidation-reduction potential (ORP)
ORP is a point of care diagnostic platform developed by Ampio for multiple indications. The platform technology includes a specifically designed, battery operated, instrument-reader and of disposable electrodes/ strips- a concept analogous to a glucometer and its disposable strips. ORP is a homeostatic parameter reflecting the balance between pro and anti-oxidants in a system (it is a measure of electron transfer). An elevated blood ORP indicates increased oxidative stress.
- Ampio has just been awarded two USA patents for the disposable electrodes and multiple additional patents are pending worldwide on various aspects of the program including use patents and others. Other patented measured and calculated parameters indicate reductive reserves, meaning how much anti-oxidant reserve does a patient have before oxidative stress starts damaging important biological structures and molecules.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing contract with UHV (San Jose, CA) for the manufacture of the single-use disposable electrodes and the instrument/reader is in its final stages of development/assembly.
- Multiple clinical studies have been completed (thousands of patients) encompassing the many potential indications for this platform technology and are awaiting final analysis and publication of results. Ampio will focus the initial clinical indication to the best obtained results from these extensive clinical studies.
- Ampio believes the ORP device will be cleared by the FDA under a 510(k).
- Ampio anticipates spinning-off this program into a separately financed entity.
Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. develops innovative proprietary drugs for inflammation, eye disease, kidney disease, CNS disease, metabolic disease and male sexual dysfunction. The product pipeline includes new uses for previously approved drugs and new molecular entities ("NMEs"). By concentrating on development of new uses for previously approved drugs, approval timelines, costs and risk of clinical failure are reduced because these drugs have strong potential to be safe and effective while their shorter development times can significantly increase near term value. A key strategy includes actively exploring partnership, licensing and other collaboration opportunities to maximize Ampio's product development programs. For more information about Ampio, please visit our website, www.ampiopharma.com.
Ampio's statements in this press release that are not historical fact and that relate to future plans or events are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by use of words such as "believe," "expect," "plan," "anticipate," and similar expressions. These forward-looking statements include risks associated with clinical trials, expected results, regulatory approvals, successful commercialization and marketing of Zertane™ and the combination drug in Korea, and changes in business conditions and similar events. The risks and uncertainties involved include those detailed from time to time in Ampio's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Ampio's Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
Contact: Rick Giles, Investor Relations, Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 720-437-6500
SOURCE Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The web app is agile. The REST API is agile. The testing and planning are agile. But alas, data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes that force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software organ...
Sep. 1, 2015 08:30 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Sep. 1, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 353
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Sep. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 145
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 166
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Sep. 1, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 462
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Sep. 1, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 409
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 31, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 502
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 31, 2015 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 404
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 31, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 372
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 31, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 486
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Aug. 31, 2015 07:00 PM EDT
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Aug. 31, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 523
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 31, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 245
Amazon and Google have built software-defined data centers (SDDCs) that deliver massively scalable services with great efficiency. Yet, building SDDCs has proven to be a near impossibility for ‘normal’ companies without hyper-scale resources. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, David Cauthron, founder and chief executive officer of Nimboxx, will discuss the evolution of virtualization (hardware, application, memory, storage) and how commodity / open source hyper converged infrastructure (HCI) so...
Aug. 31, 2015 04:45 PM EDT