|By ACN Newswire||
|November 27, 2012 04:14 AM EST||
- IWS to offer global investment opportunities and sustainability solutions for the business sector in the Middle East region
Abu Dhabi, Nov 27, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - With 40 per cent of the world predicted to live in water-scarce regions by 2025, the search for solutions will be a key priority for the inaugural International Water Summit in Abu Dhabi from 15-17 January 2013 where the world's foremost water experts will gather to share their insights with companies and government delegations.
The International Water Summit (IWS), hosted by Masdar, will bring together over 5,000 influential business leaders, policymakers and scientists to tackle the urgent challenges of wastewater and water access and security, including the water-energy nexus in arid regions. IWS will have Borouge-Borealis as a principal sponsor and the Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority as a strategic partner.
World-leading organizations that have already confirmed their participation are UN Habitat, the Global Water Operators' Partnership Alliance (GWOPA), UN Water, the International Desalination Association, the National Food Security Program of Qatar, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Stockholm International Water Institute, the Public Utilities Board Singapore and the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association.
Also providing speakers for the International Water Summit are water solution innovators and developers such as Suez Environment, Veolia Water, CH2MHILL, NASA, Befesa Agua, the King Abdulla University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Xylem, Metito, Acciona Agua and Hyflux.
A steering committee consisting of senior representatives from the UAE Ministry of Water and Environment, Masdar, Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority, Environment Agency-Abu Dhabi, Regulation & Supervision Bureau and the Abu Dhabi Sewerage Service Company is guiding the International Water Summit, which is being held under the patronage of HH General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
Mohammad El-Ramahi, IWS Executive Steering Committee Secretary, Chairman of the Technical Committee and Head of Utilities, Engineering and Operation at Masdar, said the line-up of international and regional speakers reflects the water community's seriousness about finding solutions to the global water challenges, especially the water-energy nexus.
"Throughout the summit, we will be taking an international approach to meet the water challenges affecting arid regions, especially the Middle East, and we are pleased that Uschi Eid, Vice Chair of the UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water, will join IWS to address the urgent issue of water scarcity in Arab regions."
"Peter Forsmann, Chairman of the renowned Stockholm International Water Institute, will participate in a workshop about the future challenges affecting water availability which will identify and define the depletion, allocation and distribution challenges that arid regions face."
"In addition, Men Leong Chew, Chief Executive Officer of the Public Utilities Board Singapore, will offer his vast experience during the interactive panel discussion on sustainable growth and economic development in arid regions."
Mr El-Ramahi also confirmed that Lee McIntire, Chief Executive of CH2M HILL, will be on the panel discussing the topic of Water and Energy as a Catalyst to Regional Development and Sustainable Growth which will be moderated by Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President of the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association (ACWUA).
Another highlight of IWS will the panel discussion on cross boundary collaboration through international water governance.
"Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN Habitat, will join us for this forum which will closely look at the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) as a framework for analysis and comment on international water strategy and policy, and the effectiveness of collaboration to achieve water sustainability and to meet the global demand for potable water," said Mr El-Ramahi.
The International Water Summit (15 -17 January 2013) will be co-located with the World Future Energy Summit as part of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week (13 - 17 January 2013).
Speakers at International Water Summit:
- Alex Katon, Executive Vice President of Strategy & Communications, IPR-GDF SUEZ Middle East, Turkey & Africa
- Alistair Munro, CEO / Managing Director, PROJECX
- Anthony Cox, Head of Division, Environment and Economy Integration OECD
- Asma El-Kasmi, UNESCO Chair Holder Water Women and Decision Power, UNESCO
- Bekele Debele Negewo, Water Resources Specialist, World Bank
- Bob Taylor, Business Development Director, Sembcorp
- Carl Ganter, Founder and Director, Circle of Blue
- Carlos Cosin, CEO, Befesa Agua
- Christoph Beier, Managing Director, German Tech.
- Colin J Hannan, Director of Special Projects-Water, Regulation & Supervision Bureau, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Diego Lucente, Expert Non Revenue Water, Suez Environment
- Dr. Ahmed Murad, Dr. Ahmed Ali Murad, Associate Professor Hydrogeology, Geology Department, UAE University
- Dr. Corrado Sommariva, Managing Director, ILF Middle East
- Dr. Graeme Pierce, Membrane Consultant
- Dr. Ilham Khadri, Executive, Dow Chemicals
- Dr. Thomas Missimer, Visiting Professor, KAUST
- Dr. Adil A. Bushnak, Chairman & CEO, Bushnak Group Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Farrukh Ahmad, Associate Professor Water and Environmental Engineering, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Hassan Fath, Professor, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Masaru Kurihara, President of Asia Pacific Desalination Association, (APDA), Director IDA, Senior Scientific Director, "Mega-ton Water System"
- Dr. Mohamed A. Dawoud, Water Resources Advisor, Environment Quality Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Director General, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Executive Director, Integrated Environment Policy and Planning Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Rabi Mohtar, Professor, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University Executive Director, Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute
- Dr. Rachel McDonnell, Water Policy and Governance, International Centre for Biosaline Agriculture
- Edwin Young, Programme Manager Estidama, Urban Planning Council Abu Dhabi
- Fady Juez, President, Metito
- Fahad Al-Attiya, Chairman, The National Food Security Program Qatar
- Faraj Al-Awar, Programme Director, GWOPA
- Ghassan Ejjeh, Senior Vice President, Besix
- Harry Seah, CTO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Heather Cooley, Programme Co- Director, Pacific Institute
- Jesus Sancho, Director Middle East, Acciona Agua
- Joan Clos, Executive Director, UN Habitat
- Joppe Cramwinckel, Water Director, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- Karl Rose, Director Policy & Scenarios, World Energy Council
- Khaldoun Kashman, Secretary General, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Lee McIntire, CEO, CH2MHILL
- Leon Awerbuch, President, LET
- Linda Macpherson, Vice President, CH2M HILL
- Majid Hasan Al Suwaidi, Lead Climate Change Negotiator, Directorate of Energy & Climate Change, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Malcolm Haddock, Planning and Forecasting Department Manager, ADSSC
- Mark Lane, Partner, Pinsent Masons
- Matthew Griffiths, Director Water Strategy & Reuse, RSB
- Men Leong Chew, CEO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Michel Canet, Executive Vice President, Veolia Water
- Miguel Angel Sanz, Director of Innovation Development, Degremont SA
- Mike Kuchenbrod, President Water Solutions, Xylem
- Mohamed Ait Kadi, Chairman, Global Water Partnership, Technical Committee
- Mohammad Al Hajjiri, Head of Water Forecast Section, ADWEC
- Mohammed Eid Obaid, Water O&M Division Manager, Al Ain Distribution Company
- Mohammed El Ramahi, Head of Utilities & Asset Management, Masdar
- Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Nancy E Barnes, VP Water Business Group, CH2MHILL
- Per Bertilsson, Acting Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Forssman, Chairman, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Gleick, President, Pacific Institute
- Prof. Peter Werner, Dean, UAE University
- Robert Bradley, Senior Policy Advisor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs UAE
- Sam Ong, Group Deputy CEO, Hyflux
- Thomas Altmann, Executive Vice President, ILF
- Thorsteinn Gudnason, Managing Director, Aquaomnis
- Tom Soo, Executive Director, IWRA
- Tony Douglas, CEO, Abu Dhabi Ports Company
- Uschi Eid, Vice Chair, UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water
- Walid Saleh, Regional Coordinator, MENA The United Nations University - Institute for Water, Environment, & Heath (UNU-INWEH)
- Yasar Yakis, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey
- Dr. Kadri Ozen, Group Public Affairs Director, Coca-Cola Eurasia and Africa Group
- Bogachan Benli, Global Director, UNEP
- Dave Hillyard, Head of Major Partnerships, WaterAid
- Bert Diphoorn, Senior Advisor, Urban Basic Services, UN-Habitat
- Michel Jarraud, Chair, UN
About International Water Summit 2013
On January 18, 2012, His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, launched the International Water Summit as part of a far reaching sustainability vision aimed at ensuring the prosperity and welfare of mankind - not only in the United Arab Emirates, but across the world. His statement, "water is more important than oil for the UAE" was a bold and clear signal that an economy based on oil is placing water at the top of its agenda.
The inaugural International Water Summit will be hosted by Masdar and co-located with the World Future Energy Summit at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC), United Arab Emirates. The first International Water Summit will gather the leading minds from the global water community in policy, business and science to accelerate the development of sustainable water solutions for arid regions. This high-level platform offers you a unique opportunity to network with global politicians, water experts and leaders from the public and private sectors over three possibility-laden days. For more information, please visit http://iwsabudhabi.com.
Source: International Water Summit 2013
Shereen Al Sallak International Water Summit T: +971 2 491 7615 F: +971 2 491 7612 E: [email protected] W: www.internationalwatersummit.com
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
In their session at 17th Cloud Expo, Hal Schwartz, CEO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), and Chuck Paolillo, CTO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), provide a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. In his role as CEO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), Hal Schwartz provides leadership and direction for the company.
Aug. 4, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 239
There are many considerations when moving applications from on-premise to cloud. It is critical to understand the benefits and also challenges of this migration. A successful migration will result in lower Total Cost of Ownership, yet offer the same or higher level of robustness. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Michael Meiner, an Engineering Director at Oracle, Corporation, analyzed a range of cloud offerings (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) and discussed the benefits/challenges of migrating to each offe...
Aug. 4, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 220
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Aug. 4, 2015 05:30 PM EDT
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Partnerships at Com...
Aug. 4, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 111
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Aug. 4, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 573
Scrum Alliance has announced the release of its 2015 State of Scrum Report. Almost 5,000 individuals and companies worldwide participated in this year's survey. Most organizations in the market today are still leading and managing under an Industrial Age model. Not only is the speed of change growing exponentially, Agile and Scrum frameworks are showing companies how to draw on the full talents and capabilities of those doing the work in order to continue innovating for success.
Aug. 4, 2015 02:45 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobi...
Aug. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 391
Between the compelling mockups and specs produced by your analysts and designers, and the resulting application built by your developers, there is a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral out of control, and applications fall short of requirements. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, presented a new approach where business and development users collaborate – each using tools appropriate to their goals and expertise – to build mocku...
Aug. 4, 2015 01:30 PM EDT
Container technology is sending shock waves through the world of cloud computing. Heralded as the 'next big thing,' containers provide software owners a consistent way to package their software and dependencies while infrastructure operators benefit from a standard way to deploy and run them. Containers present new challenges for tracking usage due to their dynamic nature. They can also be deployed to bare metal, virtual machines and various cloud platforms. How do software owners track the usag...
Aug. 4, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 295
SYS-CON Events announced today that VividCortex, the monitoring solution for the modern data system, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The database is the heart of most applications, but it’s also the part that’s hardest to scale, monitor, and optimize even as it’s growing 50% year over year. VividCortex is the first unified suite of database monitoring tools specifically desi...
Aug. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 116
Graylog, Inc., has added the capability to collect, centralize and analyze application container logs from within Docker. The Graylog logging driver for Docker addresses the challenges of extracting intelligence from within Docker containers, where most workloads are dynamic and log data is not persisted or stored. Using Graylog, DevOps and IT Ops teams can pinpoint the root cause of problems to deliver new applications faster and minimize downtime.
Aug. 4, 2015 11:45 AM EDT
As Marc Andreessen says software is eating the world. Everything is rapidly moving toward being software-defined – from our phones and cars through our washing machines to the datacenter. However, there are larger challenges when implementing software defined on a larger scale - when building software defined infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Boyan Ivanov, CEO of StorPool, provided some practical insights on what, how and why when implementing "software-defined" in the datacent...
Aug. 4, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 120
Learn how you can use the CoSN SEND II Decision Tree for Education Technology to make sure that your K–12 technology initiatives create a more engaging learning experience that empowers students, teachers, and administrators alike.
Aug. 4, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 120
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Aug. 4, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 265
In a recent research, analyst firm IDC found that the average cost of a critical application failure is $500,000 to $1 million per hour and the average total cost of unplanned application downtime is $1.25 billion to $2.5 billion per year for Fortune 1000 companies. In addition to the findings on the cost of the downtime, the research also highlighted best practices for development, testing, application support, infrastructure, and operations teams.
Aug. 4, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 227