|By PR Newswire||
|November 28, 2012 11:32 PM EST||
BANGALORE, November 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
UL Releases Second Annual Global Study: "The Product Mindset" 2012
Findings Reveal a Sharp Decline in Overall Optimism, Ever More Transparent Supply Chains, and a Focus on Quality
UL (Underwriters Laboratories), a world leader in advancing safety, announced today the 2012 findings of its annual global study, The Product Mindset, which examines manufacturer and consumer perceptions about how products are made, sold, bought and consumed. This year's findings, culled from interviews with manufacturers and consumers in the U.S., China, Germany and India, show a steep decline in optimism and increased expectations around quality, safety and the environment. These expectations are driving more complex supply chain dynamics, where traceability and sourcing are the tools manufacturers are leveraging to help deliver reliable, cost effective products that consumers are demanding.
"The volatility in today's world is causing companies and people to look at the products they make and consume with more scrutiny than ever before. We are seeing manufacturers showcase aspects of their supply chain as consumers demand more transparency. Where a product's made, how it's made and what's in it are paramount," said Keith Williams, UL CEO.
The study reveals that product safety remains fundamental, and the environmental orientation of a manufacturer's operations and their product features are growing in importance. Specifically, the study highlights the growing concerns for the origins of manufactured products including where their components and raw materials are sourced.
"It is clear from this year's report that supply chain issues are top-of-mind for global manufacturers, but also in the line of sight of consumers in both developed and emerging economies. The report strongly suggests that these trends will accelerate in the coming years as manufacturers strive to meet consumer demand for increased quality and safety in the things they purchase and use," stated Clyde Kofman, UL Chief Strategy Officer.
Key insights from the study include:
- Manufacturers are strategically managing increasingly complex supply chains to improve operations and quality, and to reduce costs. As a result, global sourcing is likely to expand to new countries in the coming years.
- Consumers are becoming increasingly sophisticated about global supply chain issues including where products and their components are made and whether global manufacturers and their suppliers are providing ethical working environments for employees. Furthermore, manufacturers are noting increased pressure for transparency related to product, component and raw material sourcing.
- Manufacturers believe that product safety is increasing in importance to consumers, and delivering it is critical to their business success.
- Most consumers do not believe manufacturers use the best possible raw materials, ingredients or components in their products.
- Manufacturers in both developed and emerging nations have a significantly more favourable opinion about the quality of materials sourced from developed markets than those from emerging markets.
Highlighted Findings from UL's 2012 Product Mindset global report
Manufacturers feel the pressure from an increasingly complex, global supply chain
- Sourcing is becoming more global, with 46% of manufacturers increasing their sourcing from other countries over the next five years. Seventy-nine percent of those manufacturers note they will add additional countries to their roster versus replacing existing current sources.
- Forty-three percent of manufacturers are not highly satisfied with their ability to expand into new markets.
- Seventy-six percent of manufacturers believe global sourcing is a means to improve product quality; a 19 percent increase from what manufacturers noted last year, reflecting manufacturers' need to enhance competitiveness in a volatile and financially challenged global marketplace.
- Only 30 percent of consumers strongly believe manufacturers use the best possible ingredients, raw materials or components in their products.
- Fifty-seven percent of consumers are aware of which country the products they purchase are manufactured in; yet, 62 percent of consumers believe it is more important to know where a product's parts are from than where a product was assembled.
- Over the next five years, 44 percent of consumers state that knowing where a product is from will become more important.
- On average 48 percent of consumers feel manufacturers have not taken adequate steps to ensure both they and their suppliers are committed to workplace safety and the ethical and fair treatment of workers.
- Less than one quarter (24 percent) of Chinese consumers and less than half of Indian consumers (40 percent) say manufacturers have not taken adequate steps to ensure that both they and their suppliers are committed to the ethical/fair treatment of workers and workplace safety compared with 65 percent of U.S. consumers and 64 percent of German consumers.
Quality remains a critical driver
- Manufacturers rank quality as the number one most important driver of their success today and number one most important future driver.
- Manufacturers think consumers care most about quality, with 38 percent stating it is the most important issue for consumers.
- Ninety-one percent of manufacturers believe performance testing is becoming more important.
- Consumers cite quality as the number one reason to explain why they select the products they buy.
- Quality also ranks as the first or second most important type of product information for consumers across the food, building materials, high-tech and smart appliance categories.
Consumers are becoming more sophisticated
- Consumers are able to demonstrate a nuanced understanding of product safety issues, picking online security as their number one high-tech safety concern, while selecting toxic emissions/indoor air pollution as the number one concern for home building materials.
- Consumers prioritise product safety for products that are in or surrounding their bodies due to the immediate impact to their health or exposure over extended periods of time. Consumers rank product safety as most important to fresh (29 percent) and processed foods (27 percent) and home building materials (23 percent) versus high tech (10 percent) and smart appliances (9 percent). Product safety is also the information consumers most want when considering purchasing food or home building materials, but safety information is not among the top three types of information consumers want for consumer electronics or smart appliances.
- Sixty-eight percent of manufacturers feel it is very important to clearly show consumers what ingredients/components are included in their products.
To obtain the full study with all key findings, visit: www.ul.com/productmindset.
Global quantitative research was conducted by an independent research firm during spring 2012. For the study, 1,201 consumers and 1,202 manufacturers in China, Germany, India and the United States were interviewed across an array of topics related to safety, performance, innovation and sustainability. Manufacturers were selected from the high technology/consumer electronics, food, smart appliances and building materials sectors and were interviewed by phone. Consumers were interviewed through an online survey.
UL is a premier global independent safety science company with more than 118 years of history. Employing more than 10,000 professionals with customers in over 100 countries, UL has five distinct business units -- Product Safety, Environment, Life & Health, Knowledge Services, and Verification Services - to meet the expanding needs of our customers and to deliver on our public safety mission. For more information on UL's family of companies and network of 95 laboratory, testing, and certification facilities, go to www.UL.com.
Primary Media Contact: Carla Slawson, [email protected], 1-847-6641812
Secondary Media Contact: Lavanya Chandra Bose, [email protected], 91-80-4138 4400
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,828
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,993
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 24, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 906
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,360
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,026
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,325
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,594
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 24, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,204
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 24, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,049
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 24, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,166
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 24, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,758
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,501
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,902
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,636
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 24, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,570