|By PR Newswire||
|November 28, 2012 11:32 PM EST||
BANGALORE, November 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
UL Releases Second Annual Global Study: "The Product Mindset" 2012
Findings Reveal a Sharp Decline in Overall Optimism, Ever More Transparent Supply Chains, and a Focus on Quality
UL (Underwriters Laboratories), a world leader in advancing safety, announced today the 2012 findings of its annual global study, The Product Mindset, which examines manufacturer and consumer perceptions about how products are made, sold, bought and consumed. This year's findings, culled from interviews with manufacturers and consumers in the U.S., China, Germany and India, show a steep decline in optimism and increased expectations around quality, safety and the environment. These expectations are driving more complex supply chain dynamics, where traceability and sourcing are the tools manufacturers are leveraging to help deliver reliable, cost effective products that consumers are demanding.
"The volatility in today's world is causing companies and people to look at the products they make and consume with more scrutiny than ever before. We are seeing manufacturers showcase aspects of their supply chain as consumers demand more transparency. Where a product's made, how it's made and what's in it are paramount," said Keith Williams, UL CEO.
The study reveals that product safety remains fundamental, and the environmental orientation of a manufacturer's operations and their product features are growing in importance. Specifically, the study highlights the growing concerns for the origins of manufactured products including where their components and raw materials are sourced.
"It is clear from this year's report that supply chain issues are top-of-mind for global manufacturers, but also in the line of sight of consumers in both developed and emerging economies. The report strongly suggests that these trends will accelerate in the coming years as manufacturers strive to meet consumer demand for increased quality and safety in the things they purchase and use," stated Clyde Kofman, UL Chief Strategy Officer.
Key insights from the study include:
- Manufacturers are strategically managing increasingly complex supply chains to improve operations and quality, and to reduce costs. As a result, global sourcing is likely to expand to new countries in the coming years.
- Consumers are becoming increasingly sophisticated about global supply chain issues including where products and their components are made and whether global manufacturers and their suppliers are providing ethical working environments for employees. Furthermore, manufacturers are noting increased pressure for transparency related to product, component and raw material sourcing.
- Manufacturers believe that product safety is increasing in importance to consumers, and delivering it is critical to their business success.
- Most consumers do not believe manufacturers use the best possible raw materials, ingredients or components in their products.
- Manufacturers in both developed and emerging nations have a significantly more favourable opinion about the quality of materials sourced from developed markets than those from emerging markets.
Highlighted Findings from UL's 2012 Product Mindset global report
Manufacturers feel the pressure from an increasingly complex, global supply chain
- Sourcing is becoming more global, with 46% of manufacturers increasing their sourcing from other countries over the next five years. Seventy-nine percent of those manufacturers note they will add additional countries to their roster versus replacing existing current sources.
- Forty-three percent of manufacturers are not highly satisfied with their ability to expand into new markets.
- Seventy-six percent of manufacturers believe global sourcing is a means to improve product quality; a 19 percent increase from what manufacturers noted last year, reflecting manufacturers' need to enhance competitiveness in a volatile and financially challenged global marketplace.
- Only 30 percent of consumers strongly believe manufacturers use the best possible ingredients, raw materials or components in their products.
- Fifty-seven percent of consumers are aware of which country the products they purchase are manufactured in; yet, 62 percent of consumers believe it is more important to know where a product's parts are from than where a product was assembled.
- Over the next five years, 44 percent of consumers state that knowing where a product is from will become more important.
- On average 48 percent of consumers feel manufacturers have not taken adequate steps to ensure both they and their suppliers are committed to workplace safety and the ethical and fair treatment of workers.
- Less than one quarter (24 percent) of Chinese consumers and less than half of Indian consumers (40 percent) say manufacturers have not taken adequate steps to ensure that both they and their suppliers are committed to the ethical/fair treatment of workers and workplace safety compared with 65 percent of U.S. consumers and 64 percent of German consumers.
Quality remains a critical driver
- Manufacturers rank quality as the number one most important driver of their success today and number one most important future driver.
- Manufacturers think consumers care most about quality, with 38 percent stating it is the most important issue for consumers.
- Ninety-one percent of manufacturers believe performance testing is becoming more important.
- Consumers cite quality as the number one reason to explain why they select the products they buy.
- Quality also ranks as the first or second most important type of product information for consumers across the food, building materials, high-tech and smart appliance categories.
Consumers are becoming more sophisticated
- Consumers are able to demonstrate a nuanced understanding of product safety issues, picking online security as their number one high-tech safety concern, while selecting toxic emissions/indoor air pollution as the number one concern for home building materials.
- Consumers prioritise product safety for products that are in or surrounding their bodies due to the immediate impact to their health or exposure over extended periods of time. Consumers rank product safety as most important to fresh (29 percent) and processed foods (27 percent) and home building materials (23 percent) versus high tech (10 percent) and smart appliances (9 percent). Product safety is also the information consumers most want when considering purchasing food or home building materials, but safety information is not among the top three types of information consumers want for consumer electronics or smart appliances.
- Sixty-eight percent of manufacturers feel it is very important to clearly show consumers what ingredients/components are included in their products.
To obtain the full study with all key findings, visit: www.ul.com/productmindset.
Global quantitative research was conducted by an independent research firm during spring 2012. For the study, 1,201 consumers and 1,202 manufacturers in China, Germany, India and the United States were interviewed across an array of topics related to safety, performance, innovation and sustainability. Manufacturers were selected from the high technology/consumer electronics, food, smart appliances and building materials sectors and were interviewed by phone. Consumers were interviewed through an online survey.
UL is a premier global independent safety science company with more than 118 years of history. Employing more than 10,000 professionals with customers in over 100 countries, UL has five distinct business units -- Product Safety, Environment, Life & Health, Knowledge Services, and Verification Services - to meet the expanding needs of our customers and to deliver on our public safety mission. For more information on UL's family of companies and network of 95 laboratory, testing, and certification facilities, go to www.UL.com.
Primary Media Contact: Carla Slawson, [email protected], 1-847-6641812
Secondary Media Contact: Lavanya Chandra Bose, [email protected], 91-80-4138 4400
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,593
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,908
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 702
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,481
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 731
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,646
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,412
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 838
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 674
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,950
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 687
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,119
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 847
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,021
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 883