|By PR Newswire||
|November 28, 2012 11:32 PM EST||
BANGALORE, November 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
UL Releases Second Annual Global Study: "The Product Mindset" 2012
Findings Reveal a Sharp Decline in Overall Optimism, Ever More Transparent Supply Chains, and a Focus on Quality
UL (Underwriters Laboratories), a world leader in advancing safety, announced today the 2012 findings of its annual global study, The Product Mindset, which examines manufacturer and consumer perceptions about how products are made, sold, bought and consumed. This year's findings, culled from interviews with manufacturers and consumers in the U.S., China, Germany and India, show a steep decline in optimism and increased expectations around quality, safety and the environment. These expectations are driving more complex supply chain dynamics, where traceability and sourcing are the tools manufacturers are leveraging to help deliver reliable, cost effective products that consumers are demanding.
"The volatility in today's world is causing companies and people to look at the products they make and consume with more scrutiny than ever before. We are seeing manufacturers showcase aspects of their supply chain as consumers demand more transparency. Where a product's made, how it's made and what's in it are paramount," said Keith Williams, UL CEO.
The study reveals that product safety remains fundamental, and the environmental orientation of a manufacturer's operations and their product features are growing in importance. Specifically, the study highlights the growing concerns for the origins of manufactured products including where their components and raw materials are sourced.
"It is clear from this year's report that supply chain issues are top-of-mind for global manufacturers, but also in the line of sight of consumers in both developed and emerging economies. The report strongly suggests that these trends will accelerate in the coming years as manufacturers strive to meet consumer demand for increased quality and safety in the things they purchase and use," stated Clyde Kofman, UL Chief Strategy Officer.
Key insights from the study include:
- Manufacturers are strategically managing increasingly complex supply chains to improve operations and quality, and to reduce costs. As a result, global sourcing is likely to expand to new countries in the coming years.
- Consumers are becoming increasingly sophisticated about global supply chain issues including where products and their components are made and whether global manufacturers and their suppliers are providing ethical working environments for employees. Furthermore, manufacturers are noting increased pressure for transparency related to product, component and raw material sourcing.
- Manufacturers believe that product safety is increasing in importance to consumers, and delivering it is critical to their business success.
- Most consumers do not believe manufacturers use the best possible raw materials, ingredients or components in their products.
- Manufacturers in both developed and emerging nations have a significantly more favourable opinion about the quality of materials sourced from developed markets than those from emerging markets.
Highlighted Findings from UL's 2012 Product Mindset global report
Manufacturers feel the pressure from an increasingly complex, global supply chain
- Sourcing is becoming more global, with 46% of manufacturers increasing their sourcing from other countries over the next five years. Seventy-nine percent of those manufacturers note they will add additional countries to their roster versus replacing existing current sources.
- Forty-three percent of manufacturers are not highly satisfied with their ability to expand into new markets.
- Seventy-six percent of manufacturers believe global sourcing is a means to improve product quality; a 19 percent increase from what manufacturers noted last year, reflecting manufacturers' need to enhance competitiveness in a volatile and financially challenged global marketplace.
- Only 30 percent of consumers strongly believe manufacturers use the best possible ingredients, raw materials or components in their products.
- Fifty-seven percent of consumers are aware of which country the products they purchase are manufactured in; yet, 62 percent of consumers believe it is more important to know where a product's parts are from than where a product was assembled.
- Over the next five years, 44 percent of consumers state that knowing where a product is from will become more important.
- On average 48 percent of consumers feel manufacturers have not taken adequate steps to ensure both they and their suppliers are committed to workplace safety and the ethical and fair treatment of workers.
- Less than one quarter (24 percent) of Chinese consumers and less than half of Indian consumers (40 percent) say manufacturers have not taken adequate steps to ensure that both they and their suppliers are committed to the ethical/fair treatment of workers and workplace safety compared with 65 percent of U.S. consumers and 64 percent of German consumers.
Quality remains a critical driver
- Manufacturers rank quality as the number one most important driver of their success today and number one most important future driver.
- Manufacturers think consumers care most about quality, with 38 percent stating it is the most important issue for consumers.
- Ninety-one percent of manufacturers believe performance testing is becoming more important.
- Consumers cite quality as the number one reason to explain why they select the products they buy.
- Quality also ranks as the first or second most important type of product information for consumers across the food, building materials, high-tech and smart appliance categories.
Consumers are becoming more sophisticated
- Consumers are able to demonstrate a nuanced understanding of product safety issues, picking online security as their number one high-tech safety concern, while selecting toxic emissions/indoor air pollution as the number one concern for home building materials.
- Consumers prioritise product safety for products that are in or surrounding their bodies due to the immediate impact to their health or exposure over extended periods of time. Consumers rank product safety as most important to fresh (29 percent) and processed foods (27 percent) and home building materials (23 percent) versus high tech (10 percent) and smart appliances (9 percent). Product safety is also the information consumers most want when considering purchasing food or home building materials, but safety information is not among the top three types of information consumers want for consumer electronics or smart appliances.
- Sixty-eight percent of manufacturers feel it is very important to clearly show consumers what ingredients/components are included in their products.
To obtain the full study with all key findings, visit: www.ul.com/productmindset.
Global quantitative research was conducted by an independent research firm during spring 2012. For the study, 1,201 consumers and 1,202 manufacturers in China, Germany, India and the United States were interviewed across an array of topics related to safety, performance, innovation and sustainability. Manufacturers were selected from the high technology/consumer electronics, food, smart appliances and building materials sectors and were interviewed by phone. Consumers were interviewed through an online survey.
UL is a premier global independent safety science company with more than 118 years of history. Employing more than 10,000 professionals with customers in over 100 countries, UL has five distinct business units -- Product Safety, Environment, Life & Health, Knowledge Services, and Verification Services - to meet the expanding needs of our customers and to deliver on our public safety mission. For more information on UL's family of companies and network of 95 laboratory, testing, and certification facilities, go to www.UL.com.
Primary Media Contact: Carla Slawson, [email protected], 1-847-6641812
Secondary Media Contact: Lavanya Chandra Bose, [email protected], 91-80-4138 4400
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,056
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,129
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 798
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, will discuss how the newest technology advances are reducing the cost and complexity of traditional business continuity and disaster recovery solutions. Attendees will: Learn why having a full disaster recovery strategy is more important now than ever before Explore the key drivers of a successful disaster recovery solution Achieve measurable operational and business value from a disaster recovery ...
May. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,493
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,114
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 759
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hanu Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Leveraging best-in-class people, processes, and technologies, Hanu provides high-quality, high-value software development and business process outsourcing services to independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises.
May. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,468
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 30, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,345
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,576
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,062
The initial debate is over: Any enterprise with a serious commitment to IT is migrating to the cloud. But things are not so simple. There is a complex mix of on-premises, colocated, and public-cloud deployments. In this power panel at 18th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the present state of cloud from the C-level view, and how great companies and rock star executives can use cloud computing to meet their most ambitious and disruptive business ...
May. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,299
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,830
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,388
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,450
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,395