|By PR Newswire||
|November 29, 2012 08:18 AM EST||
ORLANDO, Fla., Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Panda Security, The Cloud Security Company, today revealed unique anecdotes that were gathered from its 'PandaIT SOS: Confessions of an IT Professional' contest. Launched in September, the contest gave IT professionals an opportunity to share hilarious or utterly bizarre moments experienced when dealing with user problems.
The story that garnered the most votes was this submission:
- (Help by phone) Client: - "Oh! I'm seeing the mouse pointer move on its own."
- IT Professional: "Yes, Sir. It's me. I've already got remote access to your computer. I will solve your problem right away."
- Client: "Oh, that's nice. Do you want me to turn on the lights? Maybe you'll see better."
Here is a selection of some of the other funny anecdotes shared by those who entered:
- An older relative phoned me because he was having problems with a program that he had on a CD. I just told him: "Okay, first send the file to the bin." Next thing I heard was the CD being thrown to the trash bin.
- It was December 28, and my mother had a problem with the PC because she didn't know how to access the Internet. I told her: "You need to open the window and that's it." She spent the Christmas holidays with a big cold.
- My PC will not boot: "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue."
- A user was having trouble printing documents. He told me that the computer had said it "Can't find printer. I've tried turning the computer screen to face the printer, but the computer can't see the printer."
- I asked my friend: "Abir, what anti-virus program do you use?" Abir: "Netscape. Oh, sorry...Internet Explorer."
- Me: "Sir, I'll make a remote access on your machine." Customer: "I don't know what that means but OK... JESUS CHRIST! MY COMPUTER IS OWNED BY THE DEMON!!! I will cast out the demon and I'll call you later... Me: "Sir?"
- A user called us because he had an issue with his modem and he couldn't connect to the Internet properly. We asked him: "OK, we are going to try to help you fix it. Please, can you tell us how many lights are on right now?" And he said: "I have three lights on: the kitchen, the living room and the bathroom."
- A user called to reset their password. "Well, it is already done. Your new password is 12345678." "Ok, capital letters???"
- "I inserted the first disk and everything was OK, the second, also OK, the third one I had to push, but the fourth... "
- "Of course I know the password of my boss, it is five asterisks."
- A client was having trouble with his fax and called me. When asked to try and send a test page to me, he faxed his company price list. I solved his problem and we ended the call. A few minutes later he called back and said: "I am not sure I should have sent that list, can you fax it back to me?"
- "Please go to My PC." "Do I have to go there? Take into account that I am in another building."
- "Daddy, what does FORMATTING DRIVE C: 99% completed mean?"
- "I have a problem when writing my password. I tried to enter my password and the only thing I see are asterisks."
The contest ended on October 31 and the winner was Andre Geada, from Portugal, whose story received 494 votes from registered users. The award, a new iPad, has already been delivered to the winner. All of the stories are available at: www.pandasos.com
IT professionals are often faced with a wide range of issues that range from very simple to highly complex. To help resolve and even prevent these problems, Panda Security offers the new Panda Cloud Systems Management, a remote management and monitoring solution designed to manage, monitor and support all types of IT devices.
Panda Cloud Systems Management lets administrators manage all their IT resources simply and remotely, reducing costs and anticipating problems before they occur.
About Panda Security
Founded in 1990, Panda Security is the world's leading provider of cloud-based security solutions, with products available in more than 23 languages and millions of users located in 195 countries around the World. Panda Security was the first IT security company to harness the power of cloud computing with its Collective Intelligence technology. This innovative security model can automatically analyze and classify thousands of new malware samples every day, guaranteeing corporate customers and home users the most effective protection against Internet threats with minimum impact on system performance. Panda Security has 56 offices throughout the globe with US headquarters in Florida and European headquarters in Spain.
Panda Security collaborates with WWF and Project Stella as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility policy.
For more information, visit http://www.pandasecurity.com/.
SOURCE Panda Security
Containers are revolutionizing the way we deploy and maintain our infrastructures, but monitoring and troubleshooting in a containerized environment can still be painful and impractical. Understanding even basic resource usage is difficult - let alone tracking network connections or malicious activity. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gianluca Borello, Sr. Software Engineer at Sysdig, will cover the current state of the art for container monitoring and visibility, including pros / cons and li...
Oct. 10, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 244
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Oct. 10, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 171
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and Containers together help companies to achieve their business goals faster and more effectively.
Oct. 10, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 211
As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ability. Many are unable to effectively engage and inspire, creating forward momentum in the direction of desired change. Renowned for its approach to leadership and emphasis on their people, organizations increasingly look to our military for insight into these challenges.
Oct. 9, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 198
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet condit...
Oct. 9, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 639
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi's VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driv...
Oct. 9, 2015 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 137
SYS-CON Events announced today that Spirent Communications, the leader in testing navigation and positioning systems, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Spirent Communications enables innovations in communications technologies that help connect people. Whether it is service provider, data centers, enterprise IT networks, mobile communications, connected vehicles or the Inte...
Oct. 9, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 198
The IoT market is on track to hit $7.1 trillion in 2020. The reality is that only a handful of companies are ready for this massive demand. There are a lot of barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can we deal with these issues and challenges? The paradigm has changed. Old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways will certainly lead you to the dead end. What is mandatory is an overarching and adaptive approach to effectively handle the rapid changes and exponential growth.
Oct. 9, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 244
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, will discuss the impact of technology on identity....
Oct. 9, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 453
There are many considerations when moving applications from on-premise to cloud. It is critical to understand the benefits and also challenges of this migration. A successful migration will result in lower Total Cost of Ownership, yet offer the same or higher level of robustness. Migration to cloud shifts computing resources from your data center, which can yield significant advantages provided that the cloud vendor an offer enterprise-grade quality for your application.
Oct. 9, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 314
DevOps is gaining traction in the federal government – and for good reasons. Heightened user expectations are pushing IT organizations to accelerate application development and support more innovation. At the same time, budgetary constraints require that agencies find ways to decrease the cost of developing, maintaining, and running applications. IT now faces a daunting task: do more and react faster than ever before – all with fewer resources.
Oct. 9, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 416
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Oct. 9, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 316
The web app is agile. The REST API is agile. The testing and planning are agile. But alas, data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes that force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software organ...
Oct. 9, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 935
Achim Weiss is Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of ProfitBricks. In 1995, he broke off his studies to co-found the web hosting company "Schlund+Partner." The company "Schlund+Partner" later became the 1&1 web hosting product line. From 1995 to 2008, he was the technical director for several important projects: the largest web hosting platform in the world, the second largest DSL platform, a video on-demand delivery network, the largest eMail backend in Europe, and a universal billing syste...
Oct. 9, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 230
Electric power utilities face relentless pressure on their financial performance, and reducing distribution grid losses is one of the last untapped opportunities to meet their business goals. Combining IoT-enabled sensors and cloud-based data analytics, utilities now are able to find, quantify and reduce losses faster – and with a smaller IT footprint. Solutions exist using Internet-enabled sensors deployed temporarily at strategic locations within the distribution grid to measure actual line lo...
Oct. 9, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 140