|By Marketwired .||
|December 4, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/04/12 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled nine new mid-range and entry-level AMD Opteron 4300 Series and 3300 Series server processors increasing performance per watt versus the previous generation to maximize compute capabilities in power-constrained environments(1), while delivering outstanding value to cloud providers and web hosts. The AMD Opteron 3300 Series processors provide enterprise-class features in a low power envelope at a desktop processor price, making it ideal for web hosts and small- and medium-sized businesses.
The AMD Opteron 4300 Series processors offer up to 15 percent better performance versus the prior generation, based on SPECint benchmark results(2). And SPECpower results show up to a 24 percent improvement in performance per watt. As with the AMD Opteron 6300 Series processors, these are socket compatible with the previous generation processor, providing an effortless upgrade path for customers.
"The Piledriver core architecture shared by the AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors provides optimized performance, power and price for today's customer," said Suresh Gopalakrishnan, general manager, Server Business Unit, AMD. "These new processors are ideal for cloud providers, web hosts and small- and medium-sized businesses who want to address their space and power constraints. With a simple upgrade, existing customers can obtain more performance and improved energy efficiency and new customers will obtain compelling value and ROI."
Extensive Software Support
Deep and broad software ecosystem support is available for the new processors. Several of the key tools include:
- Hypervisors: Citrix XenServer, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, and VMware vSphere;
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows, SUSE Linux Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise Linux;
- Key developer tools: AMD Open64 compilers and AMD Core Math Library, GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, and The Portland Group (PGI) compilers;
- Java virtual machine: AMD Aparapi, OpenJDK Project "Sumatra," Oracle JVM and IBM JVM.
Socket, thermal and chipset consistency with previous generation AMD Opteron 4200 and 3200 Series processors allows OEMs to easily carry forward existing server designs and enables end customers to deploy new server hardware within their existing power and cooling infrastructure. Servers based on the new processors are now available from Supermicro as well as the AMD SeaMicro SM15000 platform. Additional server offerings will soon be available from Dell and others.
"AMD Opteron processor solutions have provided excellent investment return for our customers," said Brian Payne, executive director of Server Solutions, Dell. "The new 4300 and 3300 Series processors in the AMD-based Dell PowerEdge servers maintain this history and are ideal for web service providers who strive to maximize revenue from their server infrastructure and also for small- and medium-businesses who carefully invest to enable growth."
"Supermicro has industry-leading server solutions and motherboards in production supporting AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors," said Don Clegg, vice president of Marketing and Business Development at Supermicro. "Working closely with AMD, Supermicro is delivering 1U short-depth SuperServers using the AMD Opteron 4300 and 3300 Series processors, as well as a 3U 12-node MicroCloud optimized for the AMD Opteron 3300 Series processor for hosting and cloud providers. With systems using these new processors and the recently launched AMD Opteron 6300 Series CPU, Supermicro's time-to-market delivery provides customers a full range of Opteron-based solutions that cover extremely cost-sensitive web- and cloud-hosting to high-end HPC applications."
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail - AMD Opteron 4300 Series Processors
- Frequency: Up to 3.4 GHz base frequency and up to 3.8 GHz using AMD Turbo CORE technology for performance boost when applications demand it;
- Up to eight cores per socket for scaling on thread-intensive environments;
- As little as 35W TDP for power-constrained environments;
- AMD-P power management features maximize performance per-watt across workloads while giving IT managers more control over their data center power profiles;
- The only x86 processor to support ultra-low voltage 1.25V memory;
- AMD Virtualization (AMD-V) technology for near-native performance in virtualized environments and lowest cost per virtual machine (VM);
- Two memory channels with up to 1866 MHz memory support;
- Supports up to six DIMMs per CPU for up to 192GB memory per processor;
- Up to two x16 HyperTransport technology (HT3) links at up to 6.4GT/s per link.
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail - AMD Opteron 3300 Series Processors
- Frequency: Up to 2.8 GHz base frequency and up to 3.8 GHz using AMD Turbo CORE technology for performance boost when applications demand it;
- Up to eight cores per socket for web hosting upsell opportunities;
- As little as 25W TDP for power constrained environments;
- AMD-P power management features maximize performance-per-watt across workloads while giving IT managers more control over their data center power profiles;
- AMD-V technology for low cost virtualization;
- Two memory channels with up to 1866 MHz memory support;
- Supports up to four DIMMs per CPU for up to 32GB memory per processor;
- One x16 HyperTransport technology (HT3) link at up to 5.2GT/s.
- See full performance details;
- Review current pricing;
- Opteron 4300 Series Specifications;
- Opteron 3300 Series Specifications;
- Information on AMD's SeaMicro SM15000 server.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its ground-breaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, AMD Virtualization, AMD V and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
1. Comparison based on 2P SPECpower_ssj2008 data submitted to SPEC as of Nov. 27, 2012: 60.9W at Active Idle, 256W and 971,064 ssj_ops at 100 percent of target load, and 3052 overall ssj_ops/watt using 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4386 in Tyan YR190B8228 server, 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR3-1600) memory, YM-2451C power supply, 128GB SATA SSD disk drive, Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1. 61.8W at Active Idle, 299W and 870,780 ssj_ops at 100 percent of target load, and 2453 overall ssj_ops/watt using 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4284 in Tyan YR190B8228 server, 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR3-1600) memory, YM-2451C power supply, 128GB SATA SSD disk drive, Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1. SPEC, SPECpower and SPECpower_ssj are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. See www.spec.org. SVR-312
2. Comparison based on 2P SPECint_rate2006 data submitted to SPEC as of Nov. 27, 2012. 329, 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4386 in Tyan YR190-B8228 server, 64GB (4 x 16GB DDR3-1600) memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® Server release 6.3 64-bit, x86 Open64 4.5.2 Compiler Suite. 285, 2 x AMD Opteron processors Model 4284 in Dell PowerEdge R515 server, 32GB (8 x 4GB DDR3-1600) memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® Server release 6.1 64-bit, x86 Open64 184.108.40.206 Compiler Suite. SPEC and SPECint are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. See www.spec.org. SVR-311
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,372
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,947
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 27, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,942
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,309
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,666
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,014
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,041
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,193
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 725
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,067
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,453
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 27, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,368
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin, ...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 6,760
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,371
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 27, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,009