|By PR Newswire||
|December 4, 2012 04:50 PM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- It's no secret that mortgage lenders are requiring more information from potential borrowers than they did prior to the 2008 financial meltdown. But for self-employed borrowers, qualifying for that mortgage loan is particularly difficult. In the past, self-employed business owners were easily approved for stated-income mortgages – or, loans that didn't require tax documents or bank records to verify income. But because of more stringent lending policies, self-employed individuals in particular can expect far more scrutiny than in the past. In particular, lenders are looking for proof of stability, or a pattern of income. Fair or not, the self-employed are not considered as "safe" a bet as someone on an established salary. Simply stated, lenders want to establish that the borrower can sustain a mortgage over time. Accordingly, lenders are likely to require at least 2 years of the most recent tax returns as well as financial statements, and possibly a quarterly profit loss statement. In their assessment of finances, lenders will typically require an overall debt-to-income ratio of 41% or less, though some will be less stringent depending on other factors such as excellent credit. Speaking of credit scoring, because some lenders consider self-employed borrowers a higher risk, it is possible to offset that risk with a high credit score. A score above 740, for example, can greatly enhance a self-employed applicant's chances for approval. For self-employed applicants, the secret to success is to prepare in advance. Here's what you can do to increase your chances for success:
1. Pay-off your debts Since your debt-to-income ratios will be considered, paying off some of those liabilities can lower your levels to acceptable proportions.
2. Get your credit report in advance If there is anything negative in your credit history, take action to correct it before you apply for a mortgage. And, in the process, make every effort to raise your score above 740.
3. Adjust your income accordingly Self-employed business people are typically very aware of beneficial tax deductions that will reduce their amount of taxable income. The problem is, lenders will determine your eligibility for a loan based on your taxable income! With a deflated taxable income, it's entirely possible that you'll qualify for a loan that's far below what you need. So, a year before you're ready to apply for a mortgage, talk to your accountant and see how to maintain quality deductions, while also taking a high enough income. One solution may be to defer certain expenses to a later tax year. In fact, deferment of expenses can also enhance financial reserve levels. Remember, lenders are looking for stability – or, your ability to pay over time. Your cash reserves will be a key element.
4. Consider working with a mortgage broker Because self-employed applicants are likely to pay a higher rate for mortgage loans, it can be extremely beneficial for those applicants to work with a broker as opposed to a single institution. Brokers work with large numbers of banks and lending institutions so they are particularly well-suited to locate the specific lenders that are most appropriate for self-employed applicants.
5. Meet with your potential lenders face-to-face Online or telephone-based lenders are extremely convenient, but for the typical challenges that confront the self-employed applicant, it's better to meet with a specialized loan officer in person. Specialized experts are far more likely to direct you to a loan package that meets your specific needs.
6. Consider a joint mortgage If you're married to someone who draws a regular paycheck on a W-2, consider having them apply as the primary applicant – with you listed as the secondary applicant.
7. Make a bigger down payment Lenders tend to believe that with a greater personal investment, the borrower is less likely to default. In fact, some lenders will actually require self-employed applicants to submit a down-payment of at least 20%.
Palerra, the cloud security automation company, announced enhanced support for Amazon AWS, allowing IT security and DevOps teams to automate activity and configuration monitoring, anomaly detection, and orchestrated remediation, thereby meeting compliance mandates within complex infrastructure deployments. "Monitoring and threat detection for AWS is a non-trivial task. While Amazon's flexible environment facilitates successful DevOps implementations, it adds another layer, which can become a ...
Jul. 27, 2015 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 266
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, explained the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is rele...
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,314
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 968
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, S...
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,024
With SaaS use rampant across organizations, how can IT departments track company data and maintain security? More and more departments are commissioning their own solutions and bypassing IT. A cloud environment is amorphous and powerful, allowing you to set up solutions for all of your user needs: document sharing and collaboration, mobile access, e-mail, even industry-specific applications. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Shawn Mills, President and a founder of Green House Data, discussed h...
Jul. 27, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 180
Delphix, the market leader in Data as a Service (DaaS), has been announced winner of the DevOps Solution Award at the prestigious Computing Vendor Excellence Awards in London. The awards celebrate the achievements of the technology vendors and service providers that are leading the field of enterprise IT. Delphix was recognised as the vendor demonstrating the most effective support of DevOps culture for its ability to improve time to market and collaboration between teams.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 255
"Our biggest growth area has been the security services, the managed services - the things that differentiate us in the market that there is no client that's too small and there's no client that's too big," explained Paul Mazzucco, Chief Security Officer at TierPoint, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 305
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 515
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 330
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,330
Sysdig has announced two significant milestones in its mission to bring infrastructure and application monitoring to the world of containers and microservices: a $10.7 million Series A funding led by Accel and Bain Capital Ventures (BCV); and the general availability of Sysdig Cloud, the first monitoring, alerting, and troubleshooting platform specializing in container visibility, which is already used by more than 30 enterprise customers. The funding will be used to drive adoption of Sysdig Clo...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 399
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 428
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,221
"We do data integration for B2B also application to application, and we do data management and enable Big Data," explained Pat Adamiak, Vice President, Product Marketing at Liaison Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 299
"We specialize in testing. DevOps is all about continuous delivery and accelerating the delivery pipeline and there is no continuous delivery without testing," noted Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect at Spirent Communications, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 322