|By Business Wire||
|December 26, 2012 07:00 AM EST||
DaVita, a division of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc.® (NYSE: DVA) and a leading provider of kidney care services, released a year-end recap of major milestones and achievements for the company in 2012.
“DaVita’s performance was outstanding in 2012 – from clinical outcomes and patient care to business growth and corporate citizenship,” said Kent Thiry, chairman and CEO of DaVita HealthCare Partners. “Every day, our success relies on the commitment and hard work of more than 40,000 DaVita teammates, and I’m very grateful for their belief in our DaVita community.”
Major initiatives and highlights for DaVita in 2012 included:
- DaVita Survival Rate Leads Kidney Care Industry – In September, the United States Renal Data System released its 2012 Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). The Atlas covers population and treatment data available in 2010; for that year, DaVita had the lowest standard mortality rate in the industry (along with DCI).1 According to internal data, in 2011 gross mortality rate at DaVita fell to the lowest level ever, showing a 15% decrease in mortality rate since 2005. This decrease represents thousands of lives saved over a period of years.
- DaVita Clinical Research Presents 13 Abstracts at NKF; 12 Posters at ASN; Seven HEOR Posters at ISPOR- In 2012, researchers from DaVita Clinical Research® (DCR®) and DaVita presented the results from a number of innovative clinical improvement programs and health economic studies originating from DaVita and its research partners. The findings were shared at three premier health care meetings – the National Kidney Foundation Spring Clincal Meeting, the 17th Annual International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research International Meeting, and American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week. DCR provides a collaborative bridge between DaVita services and the pharmaceutical and biotech research community; DCR also shares DaVita’s dedication to improving the health and well-being of kidney patients.
- DaVita’s CathAwayTM Program Continues to Save Lives - DaVita has made remarkable progress in reducing patient central venous catheter (CVC) rates, a major risk factor for serious infection in kidney patients. In 2008, DaVita established CathAway, the company's seven-step program for reducing the number of hemodialysis patients dialyzing with CVCs. Since the inception of the program, DaVita has witnessed a more than 40 percent reduction in the number of "Day 90+" catheter patients (i.e., those patients who have been dialyzing at DaVita for 90 days or more using a catheter for dialysis access), and the company is now at an all-time low catheter rate of 14.1 percent for this patient population as of November 2012. DaVita leads major dialysis providers in the industry in the use of fistulas, the “gold standard” for dialysis access.
- DaVita Patient Vaccination Rates Top 90% - Two months into the 2012-2013 flu season (as of December 1, 2012), DaVita had vaccinated 91.5% of its patients for influenza and 91.8% of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccinations are critically important for people like kidney patients who are at high risk for complications, helping prevent hospitalizations and even death and supporting quality of life.
- DaVita Launches Social Site NephLink to Connect Nephrologists – DaVita launched NephLinkTM (www.NephLink.com) this year, which is a new online physician community for kidney care. NephLink is designed to allow physicians to discuss difficult patient cases or practice-management issues, share best practices and ideas, and debate the evolving health care landscape. NephLink provides physicians with direct access to their colleagues to engage and collaborate as a group – or one-on-one – with self-service privacy controls. In addition to providing tools to connect and collaborate, NephLink provides access to news, journals, events and resources from many kidney care news syndicates and journal publishers. To register for NephLink, any licensed physician can register at www.NephLink.com. A brief online tour of NephLink is available at http://bit.ly/NephLinkDemo.
- Launch of myDaVita.com – DaVita announced an important update to myDaVita.com to further help dialysis patients manage their health. myDaVita.com is an online patient social networking and virtual support center where dialysis patients can connect with other members of the kidney care community by sharing stories, meeting friends who are going through similar experiences, getting advice, and supporting and inspiring others. Other myDaVita.com resources include the DaVita Diet Helper™, which helps patients navigate nutrition challenges with planned menus and a log to track important nutrients. In the enhanced My Recipes section, patients and caregivers can save and organize favorites from more than 800 kidney-friendly recipes. These online tools allow patients to be proactive about their health, which can lead to improved clinical outcomes and an improved quality of life.
- Launch of Patient Health PortalTM– In 2012 – in a first among major dialysis providers – DaVita launched the new DaVita Health Portal, allowing patients to securely access their test results and other treatment information. The application is accessible anywhere patients have an Internet connection through a computer, including in DaVita dialysis centers.
- Merger with HealthCare Partners – On November 1, HealthCare Partners® merged into a subsidiary of DaVita’s parent company. The parent company changed its name to DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc. HealthCare Partners, now one of the two main operating divisions of DaVita HealthCare Partners, has leading operations in the Southern California, Central Florida, Southern Nevada and Northern New Mexico areas. HealthCare Partners takes clinical and economic accountability and management responsibility for nearly all of the healthcare needs of a patient population. This includes the provision of professional services rendered by primary care and specialty physicians as well as the coordination of hospital and other services. DaVita, the other main operating division of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc., will continue to provide comprehensive services for kidney care patients.
- DaVita Rx® - DaVita Rx is the world’s first and largest full-service pharmacy dedicated to serving the unique needs of kidney patients. In 2012, DaVita Rx expanded their services to help manage patient medications and clinical outcomes. DaVita Rx helps patients improve compliance with their required drug regimens with refill reminders, reviews for possible drug interactions and other services, resulting in healthier patients and improved quality of life.
- International Expansion – As of December, 2012, DaVita had 25 clinics operating in six countries outside the U.S., employing more than 400 teammates. DaVita is managing clinics in China, Singapore and Saudi Arabia, and owns and operates clinics in India and Malaysia.
- New Research Facility Opens in Denver Metro Area – DaVita Clinical Research expanded to Colorado this year, opening a new facility in Lakewood. The new facility encompasses 35,000 square feet and is physically connected to St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood, Colo. The 80-bed facility brought more than fifty specialized research jobs to the area and increased DCR’s physical capacity from 42 to 122 beds in North America. The facility supports high-risk studies and has expanded ability to support both patient and healthy volunteer Phase I clinical studies.
- DaVita Team Moves Into New World HQ Building – This summer, more than 500 DaVita teammates moved into DaVita’s new World Headquarters building at 2000 16th Street in Denver. The building was designed in collaboration with teammates, for teammates, with sustainability and a positive working experience as top priorities. Over 1,000 teammates had input into various design decisions, from outdoor spaces to workspace setup to the visual reminders of the DaVita story. The building is expected to achieve LEED® Gold certification for the environmental concepts utilized during design and construction. One such design concept incorporated into the building provides 98% of teammates with exposure to direct sunlight from their workspaces. More than 75% of total site construction waste was recycled.
Education, Empowerment, Corporate Citizenship:
- DaVita Kidney Rock WalkTM – More than 1,200 people participated in the DaVita Kidney Rock™ event in August, helping to raise an estimated $500,000 for Bridge of Life Medical Missions, which brings life-saving dialysis treatments to developing countries by supporting the creation of self-sustaining clinics. Hundreds of attendees also received kidney disease screenings from The Kidney TRUST.
- Tour DaVita ® - DaVita’s annual charity bike ride, Tour DaVita, raised $900,000 to support Bridge of Life-DaVita Medical MissionsTM in 2012. The proceeds from Tour DaVita will help fund nine medical missions taking place in 2013 where Bridge of Life volunteers will be able to install or repair 112 dialysis machines. Through these missions, Bridge of Life will bring dialysis treatment to more than 600 people in communities that otherwise would not have access to this life-sustaining care.
- DaVita HQ Expected to Receive LEED® Gold Rating – DaVita expects to receive LEED® Gold certification of its world headquarters building, designed with environmentally responsible materials and energy efficient systems, from the use of 2850 linear feet of beetle kill wood to water efficiency that saves over 1 million gallons of water each year. Flooring throughout the building is comprised of pre- and post-consumer recycled materials; more than 90% of teammates have direct views to the outdoors; and 100% of permanent teammates receive complimentary RTD EcoPasses. DaVita also diverts more than 85% of materials from landfills through internal composting and recycling efforts. DaVita was also recognized as an “EPA Green Power Partner” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- DaVita Jumps in Newsweek’s U.S. Green Ranking List – Newsweek’s 2012 U.S. Green Ranking List placed DaVita at number 209, up 33 spots from 2011. Newsweek U.S. Green Rankings highlight the top 500 companies in America for leadership in environmental performance. This is the fourth year Newsweek has compiled its green rankings; DaVita has been ranked each year so far.
- Community Service - 2012 was DaVita’s best year ever for teammate volunteerism through “Village Service Days.” Village Service Days include any community service performed by three or more teammates at or on behalf of DaVita. As of December 15, 2012, DaVita teammates had participated in over 200 Village Service Days, involving more than 7,000 teammates and more than 11,000 hours of service.
Renal Dietitian of the Year – DaVita dietitian Chhaya Patel was recognized by the National Kidney Foundation.
100 Most Influential People in Health Care – DaVita CEO Kent Thiry was ranked number 12 among the most influential people in U.S. health care by Modern Healthcare.
National Health Information Awards – DaVita’s Kidney Smart campaign was recognized in the consumer decision-making information category.
Corporate culture & operations
World's Most Admired Companies – DaVita was named one of the World’s Most admired companies by Fortune magazine.
Most Democratic Workplaces – DaVita was ranked among the world’s most democratically operated world places by WorldBlu – the only health care company and the only Fortune 500® company so recognized.
50 Top Performing Companies – DaVita was named a top performer by Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
InformationWeek 500 – DaVita was ranked number 176 among the InformationWeek 500 most innovative users of business technology.
Best Places to Work – DaVita was recognized (through teammate surveys) as a top employer in Denver by the Denver Business Journal and the Denver Post.
2013 Training Top 125 – Training Magazine named DaVita a leading organization that excels at employee development.
Healthiest X-Large Employer in Colorado – DaVita was recognized as the healthiest employer in Colorado – x-large business category, by the Denver Business Journal.
Top 100 Military-Friendly® Employers – DaVita was recognized as a top 100 military- friendly employer by G.I. Jobs.
Most Valuable Employers (MVE) for Military® - DaVita was named a most valuable employer for military personnel by Civilianjobs.com.
Best for Vets – DaVita was recognized by Military Times Edge as a “Best for Vets” employer. DaVita was also included on the list for best employers for reservists.
Military Spouse – DaVita was recognized as a top employer for military spouses by Military Spouse Magazine.
Patriot Award – DaVita supervisor David Blank was recognized with the Department of Defense’s prestigious Patriot Award for his support of military personnel (including reservists).
DaVita, HealthCare Partners, DaVita Clinical Research, DCR, Tour DaVita, DaVita Kidney Rock, DaVita Rx, NephLink, CathAway and DaVita HealthCare Partners are trademarks or registered trademarks of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DaVita is the dialysis division of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc., a Fortune 500® company that, through its operating divisions, provides a variety of health care services to patient populations throughout the United States and abroad. A leading provider of kidney care in the United States, DaVita delivers dialysis services to patients with chronic kidney failure and end stage renal disease. DaVita strives to improve patients’ quality of life by innovating clinical care, and by offering integrated treatment plans, personalized care teams and convenient health-management services. As of September 30, 2012, DaVita operated or provided administrative services at 1,912 outpatient dialysis centers located in the United States serving approximately 150,000 patients. The company currently operates 25 outpatient dialysis centers located in six countries outside the United States. DaVita supports numerous programs dedicated to creating positive, sustainable change in communities around the world. The company’s leadership development initiatives and social responsibility efforts have been recognized by Fortune, Modern Healthcare, Newsweek and WorldBlu. For more information, please visit DaVita.com.
1 USRDS 2012 Atlas of ESRD, p. 321
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and containers together help companies achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of Dev...
Jan. 16, 2017 09:00 AM EST Reads: 3,892
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 16, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 3,006
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 16, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 5,825
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 16, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 4,481
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 16, 2017 05:30 AM EST Reads: 1,074
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive ad...
Jan. 16, 2017 05:15 AM EST Reads: 1,501
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 16, 2017 04:30 AM EST Reads: 4,474
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
Jan. 16, 2017 04:00 AM EST Reads: 3,706
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Jan. 16, 2017 04:00 AM EST Reads: 5,260
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develop...
Jan. 16, 2017 03:30 AM EST Reads: 5,217
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 16, 2017 03:30 AM EST Reads: 2,833
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of C...
Jan. 16, 2017 03:15 AM EST Reads: 5,722
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 16, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,373
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, discussed the impact of technology on identity. Sho...
Jan. 16, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 3,912
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 16, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 2,660