|By PR Newswire||
|December 27, 2012 09:36 AM EST||
American Lung Association's "Healthy Air Agenda" Calls on the Obama Administration to Protect the Air We Breathe
WASHINGTON, Dec. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Lung Association's new report "Protect the Air We Breathe: The Healthy Air Agenda" identifies the progress made in the United States on improving air quality, despite repeated interference from Big Polluters and members of Congress, and highlights the extensive work still necessary to protect the Clean Air Act and the health of millions of people across the country.
Air pollution remains a pervasive public health threat in the US, with more than 124 million Americans still living in areas with unhealthy levels of air pollution. The Lung Association's "Healthy Air Agenda" details the critical next steps the Obama Administration must take to defend the Clean Air Act and the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) authority to ensure all Americans can have air that is safe and healthy to breathe.
"Despite efforts by Big Polluters and their allies in Congress, we've made great progress as a nation to improve air quality," said Janice Nolen, Assistant Vice President of National Policy and lead author of the report for the American Lung Association. "Still, too many people suffer and die early because the air is not clean enough. The Obama Administration must continue to defend the Clean Air Act and the EPA's ability to implement the law."
The American public has voiced its support of the lifesaving Clean Air Act and the EPA's efforts to update and enforce clean air standards, including soot standards, smog standards, and carbon and mercury emissions from power plants.
"The Healthy Air Agenda" lists 17 steps that are needed to continue improvements in air quality and protect public health. Some of those who are most vulnerable to air pollution include children, seniors, individuals with lung disease, heart disease and diabetes, people with low incomes, and those who work and exercise outdoors.
These lifesaving steps include:
- Clean up coal-fired power plants – Coal-fired power plants are a major source of hazardous pollutants and the single largest producer of greenhouse gases. Many of these pollutants, such as mercury, benzene, dioxins, arsenic and lead, can cause cancer and cardiovascular disease; harm the kidneys, lungs and nervous system; and even kill.
- Strengthen the outdated ozone standards – Ozone (smog) is one of the most dangerous and widespread pollutants in the nation. In 2011, the Obama administration failed to update ozone pollution limits, violating the Clean Air Act by not setting a standard that adequately protects public health. Strengthening these standards to levels that the law requires will help prevent thousands of premature deaths in the United States each year.
- Clean up gasoline and cars – Emissions from cars and light trucks are a major source of dangerous air pollution. The EPA needs to issue new standards to control ozone-forming and particle pollution from passenger vehicles by reducing the amount of sulfur in gasoline and set fleet-wide emission limits on new vehicles.
- Clean up oil and gas production – Methane is a highly potent climate pollutant, with warming effects almost 25 times that of carbon dioxide. The EPA must take steps to clean up the methane leaks and venting from all oil and gas sources. Cleaning up natural gas (which is mostly methane) venting, and leaking components of this industry can have almost immediate positive effects on public health and the climate.
- Clean up wood-burning – Residential wood burning devices, like outdoor wood boilers and stoves, are the largest residential source of particle pollution. Emissions of harmful air pollutants from wood burning can have significant health impacts on users and their immediate neighbors. The EPA is currently reviewing the standards and needs to update them to reflect new technology and require that all wood burning devices burn cleaner to reduce impacts on public health.
- Fund the work to provide healthy air – The EPA along with State and local air pollution agencies are essential parts of the national infrastructure that cleans our air and protects the health of our communities. But ever-tightening budgets jeopardize their work. Increased funding will enable them to effectively monitor air quality, implement critical air quality programs to protect public health and meet national clean air goals.
- Protect and enforce the law – Since 2011, some in Congress have repeatedly attempted to target the Clean Air Act's lifesaving protections from dangerous air pollution. The Clean Air Act is one of the most successful public health laws in history. Congress must oppose all attempts to weaken, block, or delay its public health safeguards. Without the Clean Air Act, millions would be put at risk of more asthma attacks, reduced lung function, complications for those with lung disease, and even premature death.
"The Clean Air Act says the health of everyone should be protected. The American Lung Association will continue to fight for that protection," said Nolen. "Our 'Healthy Air Agenda' calls out specific next steps to protect public health. If Congress and Big Polluters continue to interfere, then they are not for public health."
About the American Lung Association
Now in its second century, the American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease. With your generous support, the American Lung Association is "Fighting for Air" through research, education and advocacy. For more information about the American Lung Association, a holder of the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Guide Seal, or to support the work it does, call 1 800 LUNG USA (1 800 586 4872) or visit www.lung.org.
SOURCE American Lung Association
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 13, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 256
Data-as-a-Service is the complete package for the transformation of raw data into meaningful data assets and the delivery of those data assets. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lakshmi Randall, an industry expert, analyst and strategist, will address: What is DaaS (Data-as-a-Service)? Challenges addressed by DaaS Vendors that are enabling DaaS Architecture options for DaaS
Feb. 13, 2016 08:45 PM EST Reads: 398
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 13, 2016 08:00 PM EST Reads: 147
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 13, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 417
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 13, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 206
CIOs and those charged with running IT Operations are challenged to deliver secure, audited, and reliable compute environments for the applications and data for the business. Behind the scenes these tasks are often accomplished by following onerous time-consuming processes and often the management of these environments and processes will be outsourced to multiple IT service providers. In addition, the division of work is often siloed into traditional "towers" that are not well integrated for cro...
Feb. 13, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 513
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Feb. 13, 2016 02:30 PM EST
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 13, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 259
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 13, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 148
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 13, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 287
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 473
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 454
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 474
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a global technology solutions provider with over 400 employees, headquartered in the United States with offices in Canada, India, and the United Kingdom. Column Technologies provides “Best of Breed” technology solutions that automate the key DevOps principal...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST