|By ACN Newswire||
|January 6, 2013 07:25 PM EST||
Securities market performance as measured by the Straits Times Index was up 20% in 2012. However as in most global markets, trading activities declined. Nevertheless, securities trading in December grew strongly from a year earlier.
- Turnover declined 12% in 2012 to S$321.5 billion; securities average daily value (SDAV) was 12% down at S$1.3 billion.
- In December, turnover was up 39% from a year earlier at S$23.2 billion; SDAV grew 46% to S$1.2 billion.
- Volume in 2012 reached a new high of 80.2 million contracts, up 11%; daily average volume also grew 11% to a new high of 326,595 contracts.
- Open interest reached a new high of 2.95 million contracts on 13 December.
- In December, volume was up 55% from a year earlier at 8.0 million contracts; daily average volume grew 67% to a record-high 402,920 contracts.
- Volume of agri-commodity futures grew 56% in 2012 to 255,815 contracts. December volume grew 18% year-on-year to 20,442 contracts.
- Volume of commodity swaps cleared in 2012 grew 74% to 332,465 contracts. In December, volume cleared grew 80% year-on-year to 22,036 contracts.
OTC Financial Derivatives Clearing
- Volume of OTC interest rate swaps cleared totalled S$316 billion notional since the November 2010 launch. New trades cleared in 2012 totalled S$85 billion, up 39% year-on-year. In December, volume of new trades cleared was S$2.3 billion, up 91% from a year earlier.
Other Key Highlights
- Stock market capitalisation grew 20% in 2012 to S$935 billion.
- Bond listings reached a three-year high of S$183.1 billion in 2012, up 49% from the previous year. There were 390 bond listings in 2012, up 36%. The biggest listings during the year were the US$2.25 billion Indonesian sovereign bonds and the US$2 billion Nippon Life Insurance 30-year bond. In December, 16 bond listings raised S$5.4 billion. The value of listings was down 35% from a year earlier. The largest bond listing in December was the US$1 billion Mongolian government bond.
- SGX's newer derivative contracts continued to gain traction, posting strong volume growth in December and all of 2012. China A50 futures volume tripled in 2012 to a new high of 10 million contracts. Trading of the contract also reached a new one-month high of 1.7 million contracts in December after achieving a record one-day volume of 196,968 contracts on 18 December.
- Nikkei Dividend Index futures volume more than doubled in 2012 to a new high of 152,554 contracts. In December, volume was up 25% from a year earlier at 5,533 contracts.
- Volume of the Indian Nifty futures contracts in 2012 reached a new high 14.7 million contracts, up 0.3%. December volume grew 4% year-on-year to 1.2 million contracts.
- SICOM rubber futures volume grew 55% in 2012 to 255,815 contracts. In December, volume was up 21% year-on-year to 20,442 contracts.
- Volume of iron ore swaps cleared in 2012 more than doubled to 217,803 contracts, a new record high. In December, volume more than doubled to 18,968 contracts from a year earlier.
SGX Statistics At A Glance
Nov 2012 Dec 2012
Number of Trading Days (Securities) 21 20
Securities market Turnover Volume (mil shares) 43,315 44,785
Securities market Turnover Value ($million) 27,309 23,239
Securities Daily Average ($million) 1,300 1,162
Derivatives Volume 7,190,079 7,964,601
Derivatives Daily Average Volume 342,506 402,920
Total Number of Listed Securities 777 776
Total Market Capitalisation ($million) 910,673 934,543
About Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Singapore Exchange (SGX) is the Asian Gateway, connecting investors in search of Asian growth to corporate issuers in search of global capital. SGX represents the premier access point for managing Asian capital and investment exposure, and is Asia's most internationalised exchange with more than 40% of companies listed on SGX originating outside of Singapore. SGX offers its clients the world's biggest offshore market for Asian equity futures market, centred on Asia's three largest economies - China, India and Japan.
In addition to offering a fully integrated value chain from trading and clearing, to settlement and depository services, SGX is also Asia's pioneering central clearing house. Headquartered in Asia's most globalised city, and centred within the AAA strength and stability of Singapore's island nation, SGX is a peerless Asian counterparty for the clearing of financial and commodity products. For more information, please visit www.sgx.com .
Source: Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Carolyn Lim Tel: +65 6236 8157 Email: [email protected] Joan Lew Tel: +65 6236 865 Email: [email protected]
Copyright 2013 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jul. 1, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,477
"We have a tagline - "Power in the API Economy." What that means is everything that is built in applications and connected applications is done through APIs," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at Akana, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 1, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 767
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and Containers together help companies to achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of...
Jul. 1, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,201
"AgilData is the next generation of dbShards. It just adds a whole bunch more functionality to improve the developer experience," noted Dan Lynn, CEO of AgilData, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 1, 2015 04:09 PM EDT Reads: 455
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 1, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,031
The cloud has transformed how we think about software quality. Instead of preventing failures, we must focus on automatic recovery from failure. In other words, resilience trumps traditional quality measures. Continuous delivery models further squeeze traditional notions of quality. Remember the venerable project management Iron Triangle? Among time, scope, and cost, you can only fix two or quality will suffer. Only in today's DevOps world, continuous testing, integration, and deployment upend...
Jul. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,917
"We provide a web application framework for building really sophisticated web applications that run on a browser without any installation need so we get used for biotech, defense, and banking applications," noted Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit (http://DevOpsSummit.SYS-CON.com), held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York
Jul. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,049
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect t...
Jul. 1, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,173
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 1, 2015 02:21 PM EDT Reads: 533
In the midst of the widespread popularity and adoption of cloud computing, it seems like everything is being offered “as a Service” these days: Infrastructure? Check. Platform? You bet. Software? Absolutely. Toaster? It’s only a matter of time. With service providers positioning vastly differing offerings under a generic “cloud” umbrella, it’s all too easy to get confused about what’s actually being offered. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Kevin Hazard, Director of Digital Content for SoftL...
Jul. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,149
"A lot of the enterprises that have been using our systems for many years are reaching out to the cloud - the public cloud, the private cloud and hybrid," stated Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 1, 2015 12:54 PM EDT Reads: 555
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jul. 1, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,044
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,994
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,012
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world...
Jul. 1, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,241