|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2013 08:35 AM EST||
SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Saving money is a goal that many of us are reaching for, and the beginning of a new year is a great time to start. In 2013, the Energy Education Council encourages you to save money by using less energy.
"Becoming energy efficient doesn't mean sacrificing comfort, and you don't need to buy anything to start saving money," says Molly Hall, executive director of the Energy Education Council. "To begin, all you really need is an understanding of how you use energy and how you can use less while maintaining or even improving comfort."
The Energy Education Council has tips on how to save energy in many areas of the home this year. To get started:
- Close dampers and shut doors on unused areas of the home.
- Open drapes on sunny days to allow the sun to warm your home, and close them at night.
- Make sure the fireplace flu is closed when not in use.
- Set your thermostat lower in the winter (higher in the summer) when you can accept cooler (warmer) conditions, including nighttime and whenever you leave your home for several hours. Many people find it easier to use an Energy Star programmable thermostat that you can set to automatically adjust.
- Many water heaters work all day to keep water hot. This "stand-by" water accounts for a large part of water heating costs, which can add up to 14 percent of the overall energy costs in the average home. Help decrease this cost by setting the water heater's temperature to 120 degrees. You can also wash clothes in cold water and take shorter showers to conserve warm water.
- The best way to use your clothes dryer more efficiently is to use it less. A drying rack (or for warm weather, a clothesline) can help you dry clothes without the dryer. This is also gentler on your clothes. When using the dryer do not over-dry clothes, and use a moisture-sensor if your machine has one.
- Electronics use power whenever they are plugged in, even if they are not in use. To decrease the amount of energy wasted in this process, use a power strip, so you can shut off multiple electronics that are not in use.
- When replacing bulbs, choose energy-saving light bulbs. CFLs and LEDs use significantly less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, and they do not need replaced as often. Also, know how to use your light bulbs efficiently. LEDs and incandescent bulbs are not affected by being turned off, so you can turn them off whenever you leave a room. However, CFLs lives are shortened by frequent on/off switching. To preserve the lifespan of CFLs, only turn them off if you will be gone for more than 15 minutes.
- When purchasing new electronics, look for Energy Star products. Some are more expensive upfront, but in the long run you will save money through decreased energy costs.
- To make your home even more efficient:
- Put a water heater blanket on your older water heater to help water in the tank stay hot.
- Apply rope caulk to very leaky window frames, where significant energy loss may occur from air infiltration.
- In most homes, heating and cooling is the biggest portion of energy spending. For the average home, it adds up to 46 percent of the energy bill. Proper insulation is one of the most effective ways to increase energy efficiency. The attic is one of the easiest and most effective places to add insulation. Find out what level of insulation is recommended for your area at EnergySavers.gov.
- Seal up the largest air leaks in your house. The worst culprits are usually plumbing penetrations, gaps around chimneys, recessed lights in insulated ceilings, and unfinished spaces behind cupboards and closets.
- Insulate hot water pipes and ducts wherever they run through unheated areas.
Some longer-term projects to think about are replacing aging, inefficient appliances and upgrading leaky windows. It is also a good idea to have your heating and cooling systems tuned up every spring and fall.
For more information on home efficiency, visit EnergyEdCouncil.org.
Contact: Kyla Kruse, 217-546-6421, [email protected]
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Energy Education Council
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 27, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,895
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,845
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's [email protected] at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, high-productivity enterprise web applications for any device. SmartClient couples the industry’s broadest, deepest UI component set with a java server framework to deliver an end-...
May. 27, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,147
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 27, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,303
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 27, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,288
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,132
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,024
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 352
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,363
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,174
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 27, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,561
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,252
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
May. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,467
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 27, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,116
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 27, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,187