|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2013 08:35 AM EST||
SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Saving money is a goal that many of us are reaching for, and the beginning of a new year is a great time to start. In 2013, the Energy Education Council encourages you to save money by using less energy.
"Becoming energy efficient doesn't mean sacrificing comfort, and you don't need to buy anything to start saving money," says Molly Hall, executive director of the Energy Education Council. "To begin, all you really need is an understanding of how you use energy and how you can use less while maintaining or even improving comfort."
The Energy Education Council has tips on how to save energy in many areas of the home this year. To get started:
- Close dampers and shut doors on unused areas of the home.
- Open drapes on sunny days to allow the sun to warm your home, and close them at night.
- Make sure the fireplace flu is closed when not in use.
- Set your thermostat lower in the winter (higher in the summer) when you can accept cooler (warmer) conditions, including nighttime and whenever you leave your home for several hours. Many people find it easier to use an Energy Star programmable thermostat that you can set to automatically adjust.
- Many water heaters work all day to keep water hot. This "stand-by" water accounts for a large part of water heating costs, which can add up to 14 percent of the overall energy costs in the average home. Help decrease this cost by setting the water heater's temperature to 120 degrees. You can also wash clothes in cold water and take shorter showers to conserve warm water.
- The best way to use your clothes dryer more efficiently is to use it less. A drying rack (or for warm weather, a clothesline) can help you dry clothes without the dryer. This is also gentler on your clothes. When using the dryer do not over-dry clothes, and use a moisture-sensor if your machine has one.
- Electronics use power whenever they are plugged in, even if they are not in use. To decrease the amount of energy wasted in this process, use a power strip, so you can shut off multiple electronics that are not in use.
- When replacing bulbs, choose energy-saving light bulbs. CFLs and LEDs use significantly less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, and they do not need replaced as often. Also, know how to use your light bulbs efficiently. LEDs and incandescent bulbs are not affected by being turned off, so you can turn them off whenever you leave a room. However, CFLs lives are shortened by frequent on/off switching. To preserve the lifespan of CFLs, only turn them off if you will be gone for more than 15 minutes.
- When purchasing new electronics, look for Energy Star products. Some are more expensive upfront, but in the long run you will save money through decreased energy costs.
- To make your home even more efficient:
- Put a water heater blanket on your older water heater to help water in the tank stay hot.
- Apply rope caulk to very leaky window frames, where significant energy loss may occur from air infiltration.
- In most homes, heating and cooling is the biggest portion of energy spending. For the average home, it adds up to 46 percent of the energy bill. Proper insulation is one of the most effective ways to increase energy efficiency. The attic is one of the easiest and most effective places to add insulation. Find out what level of insulation is recommended for your area at EnergySavers.gov.
- Seal up the largest air leaks in your house. The worst culprits are usually plumbing penetrations, gaps around chimneys, recessed lights in insulated ceilings, and unfinished spaces behind cupboards and closets.
- Insulate hot water pipes and ducts wherever they run through unheated areas.
Some longer-term projects to think about are replacing aging, inefficient appliances and upgrading leaky windows. It is also a good idea to have your heating and cooling systems tuned up every spring and fall.
For more information on home efficiency, visit EnergyEdCouncil.org.
Contact: Kyla Kruse, 217-546-6421, [email protected]
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Energy Education Council
Automation is enabling enterprises to design, deploy, and manage more complex, hybrid cloud environments. Yet the people who manage these environments must be trained in and understanding these environments better than ever before. A new era of analytics and cognitive computing is adding intelligence, but also more complexity, to these cloud environments. How smart is your cloud? How smart should it be? In this power panel at 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, pane...
Apr. 30, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,628
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 30, 2017 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,667
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 30, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,520
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 30, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,710
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 30, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,197
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 30, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,346
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 30, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,187
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 30, 2017 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,451
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 30, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,560
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 30, 2017 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,763
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Apr. 30, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,478
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Apr. 30, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,778
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 30, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,632
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 30, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,766
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 30, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,503