|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2013 08:35 AM EST||
SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Saving money is a goal that many of us are reaching for, and the beginning of a new year is a great time to start. In 2013, the Energy Education Council encourages you to save money by using less energy.
"Becoming energy efficient doesn't mean sacrificing comfort, and you don't need to buy anything to start saving money," says Molly Hall, executive director of the Energy Education Council. "To begin, all you really need is an understanding of how you use energy and how you can use less while maintaining or even improving comfort."
The Energy Education Council has tips on how to save energy in many areas of the home this year. To get started:
- Close dampers and shut doors on unused areas of the home.
- Open drapes on sunny days to allow the sun to warm your home, and close them at night.
- Make sure the fireplace flu is closed when not in use.
- Set your thermostat lower in the winter (higher in the summer) when you can accept cooler (warmer) conditions, including nighttime and whenever you leave your home for several hours. Many people find it easier to use an Energy Star programmable thermostat that you can set to automatically adjust.
- Many water heaters work all day to keep water hot. This "stand-by" water accounts for a large part of water heating costs, which can add up to 14 percent of the overall energy costs in the average home. Help decrease this cost by setting the water heater's temperature to 120 degrees. You can also wash clothes in cold water and take shorter showers to conserve warm water.
- The best way to use your clothes dryer more efficiently is to use it less. A drying rack (or for warm weather, a clothesline) can help you dry clothes without the dryer. This is also gentler on your clothes. When using the dryer do not over-dry clothes, and use a moisture-sensor if your machine has one.
- Electronics use power whenever they are plugged in, even if they are not in use. To decrease the amount of energy wasted in this process, use a power strip, so you can shut off multiple electronics that are not in use.
- When replacing bulbs, choose energy-saving light bulbs. CFLs and LEDs use significantly less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, and they do not need replaced as often. Also, know how to use your light bulbs efficiently. LEDs and incandescent bulbs are not affected by being turned off, so you can turn them off whenever you leave a room. However, CFLs lives are shortened by frequent on/off switching. To preserve the lifespan of CFLs, only turn them off if you will be gone for more than 15 minutes.
- When purchasing new electronics, look for Energy Star products. Some are more expensive upfront, but in the long run you will save money through decreased energy costs.
- To make your home even more efficient:
- Put a water heater blanket on your older water heater to help water in the tank stay hot.
- Apply rope caulk to very leaky window frames, where significant energy loss may occur from air infiltration.
- In most homes, heating and cooling is the biggest portion of energy spending. For the average home, it adds up to 46 percent of the energy bill. Proper insulation is one of the most effective ways to increase energy efficiency. The attic is one of the easiest and most effective places to add insulation. Find out what level of insulation is recommended for your area at EnergySavers.gov.
- Seal up the largest air leaks in your house. The worst culprits are usually plumbing penetrations, gaps around chimneys, recessed lights in insulated ceilings, and unfinished spaces behind cupboards and closets.
- Insulate hot water pipes and ducts wherever they run through unheated areas.
Some longer-term projects to think about are replacing aging, inefficient appliances and upgrading leaky windows. It is also a good idea to have your heating and cooling systems tuned up every spring and fall.
For more information on home efficiency, visit EnergyEdCouncil.org.
Contact: Kyla Kruse, 217-546-6421, [email protected]
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Energy Education Council
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,760
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,886
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,594
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,950
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,898
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Aug. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,036
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,957
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Aug. 24, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,445
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Aug. 24, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,010
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 24, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 336
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,662
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,302
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,555
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 353
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 481