|By Marketwired .||
|January 7, 2013 07:30 PM EST||
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwire) -- 01/07/13 -- International Consumer Electronics Show -- AMD (NYSE: AMD), a leading provider of technology that enables visually-rich experiences for today's consumers, provided an early look at its new 2013 accelerated processing units (APUs) and announced a new OEM relationship with VIZIO. At an International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) event, AMD demonstrated working silicon of its first true system on chip (SoC) APUs, codenamed "Temash" and "Kabini," which will be the industry's first quad-core x86 SoCs. Both APUs are scheduled to ship in the first half of 2013. Demonstrations included a range of leading-edge applications and games on a "Kabini"-based ultrathin notebook and a "Temash"-based performance tablet and hybrid notebook.
AMD also introduced the new APU codenamed "Richland" which is currently shipping to OEMs and delivers visual performance increases ranging from more than 20 percent to up to 40 percent over the previous generation of AMD A-Series APUs(1). "Richland" is expected to come bundled with new software for consumers such as gesture- and facial-recognition to dramatically expand and enhance consumers' user experiences. The follow-on to "Richland" will be the 28nm APU codenamed "Kaveri" with revolutionary heterogeneous system architecture (HSA) features which is expected to begin shipping to customers in the second half of 2013.
Additionally, AMD announced a new series of discrete graphics processors for performance gaming that are already shipping to OEMs, AMD Radeon HD 8000M Series graphics. These latest products are reflective of the company's strategy to focus on creating differentiated IP leadership through low-power technologies that target the high-growth client markets such as ultrathin, convertible and tablet.
"With a groundbreaking new APU line-up in 2013, AMD is poised to win in high-growth consumer segments," said Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Global Business Units. "We are developing technologies with end users in mind -- to bring true surround computing and immersive experiences to our everyday lives. It is exciting to bring our industry-leading APU technologies to market, including the industry's first x86 quad-core SoC, while building on our leadership in graphics and gaming."
2013 APU Line-up Delivers a Huge Leap Forward in Performance-per-watt and Elite Software Experiences
- "Temash" is AMD's elite low-power mobility processor for Windows 8 tablets and hybrids. AMD expects "Temash" to be the highest-performance SoC for tablets in the market, with 100 percent more graphics processing performance(2) than its predecessor (codenamed "Hondo.")
- "Kabini" targets ultrathin notebooks with exceptional battery life and offers impressive levels of performance in both dual- and quad-core options. "Kabini" is expected to deliver an increase of more than 50 percent in performance(3) over the previous generation of AMD essential computing APUs (codenamed "Brazos 2.0.")
- "Richland" brings increases in both CPU(4) and graphics along with improvements in battery life(5). "Richland" APUs are expected to come bundled with a wealth of elite software experiences which include gesture- and facial-recognition, wireless connectivity directly to TVs and monitors, and prioritization of system resources when streaming video.
AMD Forges NewTechnology Partnerships with Popular Consumer Brands
During an unveiling at today's press event, VIZIO was on hand to showcase a powerful new relationship and portfolio of AMD-based platforms. VIZIO's new AMD portfolio includes an 11.6" APU-powered tablet PC, two high-performance ultrathin notebooks in both 14" and 15.6," and an impressive 24" All-in-One (AiO) system.
"VIZIO is entering the consumer PC market in an even bigger way in 2013 and we are thrilled to include AMD in our line-up for the premium visual and gaming performance we believe their processors deliver," said Lily Knowles, vice president of Product Marketing, VIZIO. "AMD provides the VIZIO tablet, notebooks and All-in-One with the best graphics and visual experience for our customers."
In addition to VIZIO, AMD will support a wide variety of systems from several OEMs with premium features and stunning designs in 2013.
"The ASUS U38 delivers a premium feature set to consumers and was co-engineered in close partnership with AMD and Microsoft, and designed for Windows 8," said S.Y. Hsu, corporate vice president, ASUS. "With an HD touch display and solid-state drive for faster start-up times, the ASUS U38 brings the AMD A-Series APU to an entirely new tier of premium design."
"The HP Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook is HP's most affordable touch-enabled system, perfect for Windows 8 users and with the performance of the AMD A-Series APU supporting an excellent overall experience," said Kevin Frost, vice president and general manager, Consumer PCs, Printing and Personal Systems, HP. "The quality graphics, high-performance game play and immersive audio/video offered on the AMD-based HP TouchSmart Sleekbook will make it a hit with consumers of any age."
Bringing Surround Computing to Life at CES
These new products further AMD's vision for the next era of Surround Computing -- the convergence of computing ecosystems that result in immersive experiences across a wealth of form factors with new consumer-driven natural interfaces. To build on this concept, AMD in concert with VIZIO unveiled the industry's first AMD SurRoundhouse which gives visitors to the AMD Experience Zone at CES a first glimpse into the art of the possible for Surround Computing. The AMD SurRoundhouse delivers a next-generation home theater demonstration on AMD technology that delivers panoramic HD content perfectly paired with spatial audio to immerse participants in a true 360 degrees sensory experience.
- 2013 Software Experiences video
- 2013 Software Experiences blog
- Read our CES blog on how AMD is bringing virtual worlds to life
- AMD on Twitter at @AMD_Unprocessed
- Follow #AMDsurround
- Follow AMD on Facebook
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This document contains forward-looking statements concerning AMD, the timing and features of AMD's future products, the ability of AMD to win in high-growth consumer segments with new APU products in 2013, the benefits from AMD's new technology partnerships and the timing of future products that incorporate AMD's products, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are commonly identified by words such as "would," "may," "expects," "believes," "plans," "intends," "projects," and other terms with similar meaning. Investors are cautioned that the forward-looking statements in this document are based on current beliefs, assumptions and expectations, speak only as of the date of this document and involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Risks include the possibility that Intel Corporation's pricing, marketing and rebating programs, product bundling, standard setting, new product introductions or other activities may negatively impact the company's plans; the company may be unable to develop, launch and ramp new products and technologies in the volumes that are required by the market at mature yields on a timely basis; that the company's third party foundry suppliers will be unable to transition its products to advanced manufacturing process technologies in a timely and effective way or to manufacture the company's products on a timely basis in sufficient quantities and using competitive technologies; the company will be unable to obtain sufficient manufacturing capacity or components to meet demand for its products or will not fully utilize its commitment with respect to GLOBALFOUNDRIES microprocessor manufacturing facilities; that customers stop buying the company's products or materially reduce their operations or demand for the company's products; that the company may be unable to maintain the level of investment in research and development that is required to remain competitive; that there may be unexpected variations in the market growth and demand for its products and technologies in light of the product mix that the company may have available at any particular time or a decline in demand; that the company will require additional funding and may be unable to raise sufficient capital on favorable terms, or at all; that global business and economic conditions will not improve or will worsen; that demand for computers will be lower than currently expected; and the effect of political or economic instability, domestically or internationally, on the company's sales or supply chain. Investors are urged to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended Sept. 29, 2012.
(1) Testing and projections develop by AMD Performance Labs. The score for the 2012 AMD A10-4600M on 3DMark 11 was 1150 and the 2012 AMD A8-4555M was 780 while the "Richland" 2013 AMD A10-5750M was 1400 and the AMD A8-5545M was 1100. PC configuration based on the "Pumori" reference design with the 2012 AMD A10-4600M with Radeon HD 7660G graphics, the 2012 AMD A8-4555M with AMD Radeon HD 7600G graphics, the 2013 AMD A10-5750M with AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M with AMD Radeon 8510G Graphics. All configurations use 4G DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel) Memory and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. RIN-1
(2) Test conducted in AMD Performance Labs using FutureMark 3DMark Vantage P as a metric for GPU performance and PCMark Vantage as a metric for CPU performance. The AMD Z-60 APU-based system scored 455 and 1914 in 3DMark and PCMark respectively. The AMD A6-1450 APU-based system delivers scores of 981 and 3123 in 3DMark and PCMark respectively. The platforms tested were the AMD Z-60 APU with AMD Radeon HD 6250 graphics, 2x 2GB DDR3-1066, Microsoft Windows 7 and the "Larne" reference platform with an AMD A6-1450 Quad Core 1.0GHz APU, AMD Radeon HD 8280 Series graphics, 2GB DDR3-1066 system memory and Microsoft Windows 7. TEM-2
(3) Test conducted in AMD Performance Labs measuring productivity performance with PCMark Vantage. The "Kabini" A6 APU-based system scored 5271 while the "Brazos" APU-based system scored 2807. "Kabini" PC config is based off the "Larne" reference design with 2013 AMD A6-5200 APU with AMD Radeon HD 8400 graphics, 4G DDR3 1600, and Windows 8 64bit. "Brazos" PC config is based off the "Renmore" reference resign with 2012 AMD E2-1800 APU with AMD Radeon HD 7340 graphics, 4G DDR3 1333 and Windows 7 Ultimate. KBN-3
(4) Testing and projections develop by AMD Performance Labs. The score for the 2012 AMD A10-4600M on the PCMark 7 Overall benchmark was 1965 and the 2012 AMD A8-4555M was 1650, while the "Richland" 2013 AMD A10-5750M was 2175 and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M was 1850. PC configs based on the "Pumori" reference design with the 2012 AMD A10-4600M with Radeon HD 7660G graphics, the 2012 AMD A8-4555M with AMD Radeon HD 7600G graphics, the 2013 AMD A10-5750M with AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M with AMD Radeon 8510G Graphics. All configs used 4G DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel) Memory and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. RIN-4
(5) Based on testing and calculations by AMD Performance Labs, the 2013 AMD A-Series "Richland" platform enables 780 min./13:00 hours of Screen on idle / eReader. Battery life calculations based on a 6 cell Li-Ion 62.16Whr battery pack at 98% utilization. AMD defines "all-day" battery life as 8+ hours of battery life in Windows Idle. Test configuration: "Pumori" reference board, AMD A6-5350M APU with AMD Radeon HD 8450G Graphics, 4G DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel) Memory and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 14" 1366 x 768 eDP Panel / LED Backlight set at 100 nits, HDD (SATA) - 250GB 5400rpm, 62Whr Battery Pack and Windows 7 Home Premium. RIN-5
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, the leading provider of modern development tools and best practices for Continuous Integration on OpenVMS, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware products and development tools that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Oct. 22, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,419
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 22, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,089
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 22, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,504
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Oct. 22, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,251
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 22, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 357
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 22, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,185
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 22, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 11,203
If you had a chance to enter on the ground level of the largest e-commerce market in the world – would you? China is the world’s most populated country with the second largest economy and the world’s fastest growing market. It is estimated that by 2018 the Chinese market will be reaching over $30 billion in gaming revenue alone. Admittedly for a foreign company, doing business in China can be challenging. Often changing laws, administrative regulations and the often inscrutable Chinese Interne...
Oct. 22, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,341
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 22, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 453
DevOps is speeding towards the IT world like a freight train and the hype around it is deafening. There is no reason to be afraid of this change as it is the natural reaction to the agile movement that revolutionized development just a few years ago. By definition, DevOps is the natural alignment of IT performance to business profitability. The relevance of this has yet to be quantified but it has been suggested that the route to the CEO’s chair will come from the IT leaders that successfully ma...
Oct. 22, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 16,256
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Oct. 22, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,472
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 22, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 687
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 22, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 803
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 22, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,666
The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF), sponsor of the IoTivity open source project, and AllSeen Alliance, which provides the AllJoyn® open source IoT framework, today announced that the two organizations’ boards have approved a merger under the OCF name and bylaws. This merger will advance interoperability between connected devices from both groups, enabling the full operating potential of IoT and representing a significant step towards a connected ecosystem.
Oct. 22, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,152