|By Business Wire||
|January 10, 2013 10:55 PM EST||
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader in consumer electronics, highlights its leadership in creating innovative, eco-conscious technology at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). In addition to being the Exclusive Green Sponsor of this year’s CES, the company is demonstrating its wide variety of beautiful products with eco-conscious features at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth (#12004) in Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Lisa Jackson, Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, congratulated Samsung's North America Executive Vice President of Corporate Strategy on the company's work to promote the Energy Star program during a tour of the Samsung booth at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. (Photo: Business Wire)
Three of the four Samsung 2013 Eco-Design Award-winners – the Series 9 Premium Ultrabook, the CLP-365W Laser Color Printer, and the Green DDR3 – will be on display at the Eco Zone.
- Samsung’s Series 9 Premium Ultrabook is designed to meet strict performance and environmental criteria with extremely low energy consumption both in idle and standby modes, which leads to a reduction in environmental impact. The Series 9 is also free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFR). Samsung also developed a longer-lasting battery specifically for the Series 9 which delivers up to 10 hours of power on a single charge¹ and an optimized Smart Step Charging Algorithm that improves the multi-way charger by control charging conditions depending on voltage and current. Samsung’s unique suite of software allows people to choose between Power-saving and Eco-modes. The Series 9 has been certified worldwide with energy certifications such as ENERGY STAR v5.2, EPEAT Gold rating, and TCO notebooks 3.1.
- Samsung’s CLP-365W Laser Color Printer offers a number of environmentally friendly features such as the “One-Touch Eco Button” and the “Easy Eco Driver” which are designed to save power, paper and toner. As part of Samsung’s commitment to the environment, all of the latest color models have earned the ENERGY STAR-certification and all toner is eligible for Samsung’s S.T.A.R. Program, a free service that recycles empty cartridges into usable component materials.
- Samsung’s Green DDR3 is a highly advanced memory module designed for server systems used to support the infrastructure of a wide variety of server applications. It delivers the highest memory performance available today for servers (1333 Mbps) and at its highest density enables extremely high capacity (3TB max) memory configurations for four-way server systems. Operating with a voltage of 1.35V, according to Samsung tests it provides an average 70% power savings (per unit density) over a 50nm class equivalent, 1.5V DDR3-based RDIMM.
“Samsung’s Eco Zone Display at CES exemplifies our continued commitment to the environment and the long-term life expectancy and durability of our products that make our technology truly sustainable,” said David Steel, Executive Vice President of Strategy for Samsung Electronics North America. “We look forward to creating new technology that will provide people with the next generation of eco-friendly features they never dreamed was possible.”
The other 2013 Eco-Design Award-winner, Samsung’s new LED Smart Bulb, was unveiled at the Official Press Event of the International CES on Jan. 6 and will be featured at the Innovations Design and Engineering Awards Showcase in The Venetian.
- Samsung’s LED Smart Bulb uses less energy and lasts longer than incandescent bulbs. The 13.6W bulb casts a pleasant warm white glow that matches the brightness of a 50W incandescent bulb which is sufficient for the most common areas of the home. It is also flicker-free, and unlike CFLs, reaches full illumination immediately. This state-of-the-art product is also integrated with a wireless communication protocol, which allows people to easily control the lighting by using their smartphone to change the ambience of a space - even from the comfort of their sofa.
Other products with eco-conscious features on display at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth include:
- The Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate™ (SGH-1577) with AT&T is the first 4G LTE smartphone to receive platinum certification from UL Environment, a business unit of UL (Underwriters Laboratories). UL Environment sets minimum requirements for “environmentally preferable” mobile devices by measuring environmentally sensitive materials, energy management, manufacturing and operations, impact to health and environment, product performance, packaging and product stewardship. The Exhilarate features a rear casing made from 80 percent recycled (post-consumer waste) material and is packaged with a low-load, energy-efficient charger that alerts customers when the device is fully charged.
- The WiFi-enabled Samsung WF457ARGSGR front-load washer which delivers large capacity, smart features, and superior cleaning performance in an eco-efficient model. This washer features SpeedSpray which delivers a concentrated solution of detergent to clean more quickly, saving up to 90 minutes per week on laundry. The washer meets ENERGY STAR’s most efficient washer criteria, representing the top 5 percent of washers in energy performance. It also features a Smart Control system that allows people to control their washer remotely. Through a wireless router and a smart phone application, people can monitor cycle selections, remaining time and finishing alerts, as well as start or pause the washer.
- The Samsung RF263BEAESR French Door stainless steel refrigerator is a modern, stylish, and organized partner in the kitchen. The ENERGY STAR-qualified CEE Tier 3 refrigerator uses 31 percent less energy than the Department of Energy standards and is designed to exceed 2014 standards, making it as efficient as it is functional, without compromising capacity and contemporary design. The 26 cu. ft. refrigerator also features Samsung’s exclusive Twin Cooling Plus® System, which circulates air within the refrigerator and freezer compartments individually. Two separate evaporators and air flow streams eliminate the transfer of odors between compartments and maintain optimal humidity levels, keeping produce fresher, longer, and help save money on grocery bills.
Products such as the UN55F8000AF and the UN46F8000AF on display outside the Eco Zone at the Samsung booth also feature eco-conscious features. These LED TVs were the first in the industry to qualify for the newly created UL Environment Gold Level designation based on the IEEE Standard for Environmental Assessment of Televisions (1680.3). The nationally recognized standard helps identify electronic equipment that are more eco-friendly. To qualify for Gold Level, the TV must meet all required criteria plus 75% of the optional criteria.
In addition to the company’s commitment to energy-saving, eco-conscious, and sustainable technology, Samsung understands the importance of recycling technology in a safe and convenient way. To help consumers responsibly recycle their old electronics, Samsung makes it easy as possible by offering collection opportunities in all 50 states. Through its 900+ recycling locations, Samsung collected and responsibly recycled more than 83 million pounds of e-waste in 2012 and more than 239 million pounds of e-waste since the Samsung Recycling Direct program began in 2008.
¹Test results based on independent Mobile Mark tests. See samsung.com/ITDlegalinfo for further details.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in consumer electronics and the core components that go into them. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 227,000 people across 75 countries with annual sales exceeding US$143 billion. Our goal is opening new possibilities for people everywhere. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 29, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,708
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Mar. 29, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,746
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,638
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,855
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,177
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 723
Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls "Bimodal IT," where business struggle to apply modern tools and practices to traditional monolithic applications. But these existing assets can be modernized and made more efficient without havin...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,640
Most companies are adopting or evaluating container technology - Docker in particular - to speed up application deployment, drive down cost, ease management and make application delivery more flexible overall. As with most new architectures, this dream takes a lot of work to become a reality. Even when you do get your application componentized enough and packaged properly, there are still challenges for DevOps teams to making the shift to continuous delivery and achieving that reduction in cost...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 303
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,225
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 696
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,822
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,280
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,269
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,757
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to max...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 557