|By Business Wire||
|January 10, 2013 10:55 PM EST||
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader in consumer electronics, highlights its leadership in creating innovative, eco-conscious technology at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). In addition to being the Exclusive Green Sponsor of this year’s CES, the company is demonstrating its wide variety of beautiful products with eco-conscious features at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth (#12004) in Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Lisa Jackson, Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, congratulated Samsung's North America Executive Vice President of Corporate Strategy on the company's work to promote the Energy Star program during a tour of the Samsung booth at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. (Photo: Business Wire)
Three of the four Samsung 2013 Eco-Design Award-winners – the Series 9 Premium Ultrabook, the CLP-365W Laser Color Printer, and the Green DDR3 – will be on display at the Eco Zone.
- Samsung’s Series 9 Premium Ultrabook is designed to meet strict performance and environmental criteria with extremely low energy consumption both in idle and standby modes, which leads to a reduction in environmental impact. The Series 9 is also free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFR). Samsung also developed a longer-lasting battery specifically for the Series 9 which delivers up to 10 hours of power on a single charge¹ and an optimized Smart Step Charging Algorithm that improves the multi-way charger by control charging conditions depending on voltage and current. Samsung’s unique suite of software allows people to choose between Power-saving and Eco-modes. The Series 9 has been certified worldwide with energy certifications such as ENERGY STAR v5.2, EPEAT Gold rating, and TCO notebooks 3.1.
- Samsung’s CLP-365W Laser Color Printer offers a number of environmentally friendly features such as the “One-Touch Eco Button” and the “Easy Eco Driver” which are designed to save power, paper and toner. As part of Samsung’s commitment to the environment, all of the latest color models have earned the ENERGY STAR-certification and all toner is eligible for Samsung’s S.T.A.R. Program, a free service that recycles empty cartridges into usable component materials.
- Samsung’s Green DDR3 is a highly advanced memory module designed for server systems used to support the infrastructure of a wide variety of server applications. It delivers the highest memory performance available today for servers (1333 Mbps) and at its highest density enables extremely high capacity (3TB max) memory configurations for four-way server systems. Operating with a voltage of 1.35V, according to Samsung tests it provides an average 70% power savings (per unit density) over a 50nm class equivalent, 1.5V DDR3-based RDIMM.
“Samsung’s Eco Zone Display at CES exemplifies our continued commitment to the environment and the long-term life expectancy and durability of our products that make our technology truly sustainable,” said David Steel, Executive Vice President of Strategy for Samsung Electronics North America. “We look forward to creating new technology that will provide people with the next generation of eco-friendly features they never dreamed was possible.”
The other 2013 Eco-Design Award-winner, Samsung’s new LED Smart Bulb, was unveiled at the Official Press Event of the International CES on Jan. 6 and will be featured at the Innovations Design and Engineering Awards Showcase in The Venetian.
- Samsung’s LED Smart Bulb uses less energy and lasts longer than incandescent bulbs. The 13.6W bulb casts a pleasant warm white glow that matches the brightness of a 50W incandescent bulb which is sufficient for the most common areas of the home. It is also flicker-free, and unlike CFLs, reaches full illumination immediately. This state-of-the-art product is also integrated with a wireless communication protocol, which allows people to easily control the lighting by using their smartphone to change the ambience of a space - even from the comfort of their sofa.
Other products with eco-conscious features on display at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth include:
- The Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate™ (SGH-1577) with AT&T is the first 4G LTE smartphone to receive platinum certification from UL Environment, a business unit of UL (Underwriters Laboratories). UL Environment sets minimum requirements for “environmentally preferable” mobile devices by measuring environmentally sensitive materials, energy management, manufacturing and operations, impact to health and environment, product performance, packaging and product stewardship. The Exhilarate features a rear casing made from 80 percent recycled (post-consumer waste) material and is packaged with a low-load, energy-efficient charger that alerts customers when the device is fully charged.
- The WiFi-enabled Samsung WF457ARGSGR front-load washer which delivers large capacity, smart features, and superior cleaning performance in an eco-efficient model. This washer features SpeedSpray which delivers a concentrated solution of detergent to clean more quickly, saving up to 90 minutes per week on laundry. The washer meets ENERGY STAR’s most efficient washer criteria, representing the top 5 percent of washers in energy performance. It also features a Smart Control system that allows people to control their washer remotely. Through a wireless router and a smart phone application, people can monitor cycle selections, remaining time and finishing alerts, as well as start or pause the washer.
- The Samsung RF263BEAESR French Door stainless steel refrigerator is a modern, stylish, and organized partner in the kitchen. The ENERGY STAR-qualified CEE Tier 3 refrigerator uses 31 percent less energy than the Department of Energy standards and is designed to exceed 2014 standards, making it as efficient as it is functional, without compromising capacity and contemporary design. The 26 cu. ft. refrigerator also features Samsung’s exclusive Twin Cooling Plus® System, which circulates air within the refrigerator and freezer compartments individually. Two separate evaporators and air flow streams eliminate the transfer of odors between compartments and maintain optimal humidity levels, keeping produce fresher, longer, and help save money on grocery bills.
Products such as the UN55F8000AF and the UN46F8000AF on display outside the Eco Zone at the Samsung booth also feature eco-conscious features. These LED TVs were the first in the industry to qualify for the newly created UL Environment Gold Level designation based on the IEEE Standard for Environmental Assessment of Televisions (1680.3). The nationally recognized standard helps identify electronic equipment that are more eco-friendly. To qualify for Gold Level, the TV must meet all required criteria plus 75% of the optional criteria.
In addition to the company’s commitment to energy-saving, eco-conscious, and sustainable technology, Samsung understands the importance of recycling technology in a safe and convenient way. To help consumers responsibly recycle their old electronics, Samsung makes it easy as possible by offering collection opportunities in all 50 states. Through its 900+ recycling locations, Samsung collected and responsibly recycled more than 83 million pounds of e-waste in 2012 and more than 239 million pounds of e-waste since the Samsung Recycling Direct program began in 2008.
¹Test results based on independent Mobile Mark tests. See samsung.com/ITDlegalinfo for further details.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in consumer electronics and the core components that go into them. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 227,000 people across 75 countries with annual sales exceeding US$143 billion. Our goal is opening new possibilities for people everywhere. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 276
WebSocket is effectively a persistent and fat pipe that is compatible with a standard web infrastructure; a "TCP for the Web." If you think of WebSocket in this light, there are other more hugely interesting applications of WebSocket than just simply sending data to a browser. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Frank Greco, Director of Technology for Kaazing Corporation, will compare other modern web connectivity methods such as HTTP/2, HTTP Streaming, Server-Sent Events and new W3C event APIs ...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:30 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 440
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 152
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 142
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 13, 2016 11:00 AM EST
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:00 AM EST
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, will give users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion w...
Feb. 13, 2016 10:30 AM EST
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
Feb. 13, 2016 10:00 AM EST
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 13, 2016 09:45 AM EST Reads: 228
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 13, 2016 09:30 AM EST
The Art of DevOps provides a fun overview to help teams understand DevOps. Written in the style of the famous 6th century Chinese manuscript “The Art of War,” this eBook describes DevOps in the form of a mission to continuously deliver assets to the operational battlegrounds safely, securely, and quickly. It’s a fun read with valuable insights.
Feb. 13, 2016 09:30 AM EST
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., focused on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what do...
Feb. 13, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 344
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 13, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 246
Recognizing the need to identify and validate information security professionals’ competency in securing cloud services, the two leading membership organizations focused on cloud and information security, the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and (ISC)^2, joined together to develop an international cloud security credential that reflects the most current and comprehensive best practices for securing and optimizing cloud computing environments.
Feb. 13, 2016 08:00 AM EST