|By Business Wire||
|January 10, 2013 10:55 PM EST||
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader in consumer electronics, highlights its leadership in creating innovative, eco-conscious technology at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). In addition to being the Exclusive Green Sponsor of this year’s CES, the company is demonstrating its wide variety of beautiful products with eco-conscious features at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth (#12004) in Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Lisa Jackson, Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, congratulated Samsung's North America Executive Vice President of Corporate Strategy on the company's work to promote the Energy Star program during a tour of the Samsung booth at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. (Photo: Business Wire)
Three of the four Samsung 2013 Eco-Design Award-winners – the Series 9 Premium Ultrabook, the CLP-365W Laser Color Printer, and the Green DDR3 – will be on display at the Eco Zone.
- Samsung’s Series 9 Premium Ultrabook is designed to meet strict performance and environmental criteria with extremely low energy consumption both in idle and standby modes, which leads to a reduction in environmental impact. The Series 9 is also free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFR). Samsung also developed a longer-lasting battery specifically for the Series 9 which delivers up to 10 hours of power on a single charge¹ and an optimized Smart Step Charging Algorithm that improves the multi-way charger by control charging conditions depending on voltage and current. Samsung’s unique suite of software allows people to choose between Power-saving and Eco-modes. The Series 9 has been certified worldwide with energy certifications such as ENERGY STAR v5.2, EPEAT Gold rating, and TCO notebooks 3.1.
- Samsung’s CLP-365W Laser Color Printer offers a number of environmentally friendly features such as the “One-Touch Eco Button” and the “Easy Eco Driver” which are designed to save power, paper and toner. As part of Samsung’s commitment to the environment, all of the latest color models have earned the ENERGY STAR-certification and all toner is eligible for Samsung’s S.T.A.R. Program, a free service that recycles empty cartridges into usable component materials.
- Samsung’s Green DDR3 is a highly advanced memory module designed for server systems used to support the infrastructure of a wide variety of server applications. It delivers the highest memory performance available today for servers (1333 Mbps) and at its highest density enables extremely high capacity (3TB max) memory configurations for four-way server systems. Operating with a voltage of 1.35V, according to Samsung tests it provides an average 70% power savings (per unit density) over a 50nm class equivalent, 1.5V DDR3-based RDIMM.
“Samsung’s Eco Zone Display at CES exemplifies our continued commitment to the environment and the long-term life expectancy and durability of our products that make our technology truly sustainable,” said David Steel, Executive Vice President of Strategy for Samsung Electronics North America. “We look forward to creating new technology that will provide people with the next generation of eco-friendly features they never dreamed was possible.”
The other 2013 Eco-Design Award-winner, Samsung’s new LED Smart Bulb, was unveiled at the Official Press Event of the International CES on Jan. 6 and will be featured at the Innovations Design and Engineering Awards Showcase in The Venetian.
- Samsung’s LED Smart Bulb uses less energy and lasts longer than incandescent bulbs. The 13.6W bulb casts a pleasant warm white glow that matches the brightness of a 50W incandescent bulb which is sufficient for the most common areas of the home. It is also flicker-free, and unlike CFLs, reaches full illumination immediately. This state-of-the-art product is also integrated with a wireless communication protocol, which allows people to easily control the lighting by using their smartphone to change the ambience of a space - even from the comfort of their sofa.
Other products with eco-conscious features on display at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth include:
- The Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate™ (SGH-1577) with AT&T is the first 4G LTE smartphone to receive platinum certification from UL Environment, a business unit of UL (Underwriters Laboratories). UL Environment sets minimum requirements for “environmentally preferable” mobile devices by measuring environmentally sensitive materials, energy management, manufacturing and operations, impact to health and environment, product performance, packaging and product stewardship. The Exhilarate features a rear casing made from 80 percent recycled (post-consumer waste) material and is packaged with a low-load, energy-efficient charger that alerts customers when the device is fully charged.
- The WiFi-enabled Samsung WF457ARGSGR front-load washer which delivers large capacity, smart features, and superior cleaning performance in an eco-efficient model. This washer features SpeedSpray which delivers a concentrated solution of detergent to clean more quickly, saving up to 90 minutes per week on laundry. The washer meets ENERGY STAR’s most efficient washer criteria, representing the top 5 percent of washers in energy performance. It also features a Smart Control system that allows people to control their washer remotely. Through a wireless router and a smart phone application, people can monitor cycle selections, remaining time and finishing alerts, as well as start or pause the washer.
- The Samsung RF263BEAESR French Door stainless steel refrigerator is a modern, stylish, and organized partner in the kitchen. The ENERGY STAR-qualified CEE Tier 3 refrigerator uses 31 percent less energy than the Department of Energy standards and is designed to exceed 2014 standards, making it as efficient as it is functional, without compromising capacity and contemporary design. The 26 cu. ft. refrigerator also features Samsung’s exclusive Twin Cooling Plus® System, which circulates air within the refrigerator and freezer compartments individually. Two separate evaporators and air flow streams eliminate the transfer of odors between compartments and maintain optimal humidity levels, keeping produce fresher, longer, and help save money on grocery bills.
Products such as the UN55F8000AF and the UN46F8000AF on display outside the Eco Zone at the Samsung booth also feature eco-conscious features. These LED TVs were the first in the industry to qualify for the newly created UL Environment Gold Level designation based on the IEEE Standard for Environmental Assessment of Televisions (1680.3). The nationally recognized standard helps identify electronic equipment that are more eco-friendly. To qualify for Gold Level, the TV must meet all required criteria plus 75% of the optional criteria.
In addition to the company’s commitment to energy-saving, eco-conscious, and sustainable technology, Samsung understands the importance of recycling technology in a safe and convenient way. To help consumers responsibly recycle their old electronics, Samsung makes it easy as possible by offering collection opportunities in all 50 states. Through its 900+ recycling locations, Samsung collected and responsibly recycled more than 83 million pounds of e-waste in 2012 and more than 239 million pounds of e-waste since the Samsung Recycling Direct program began in 2008.
¹Test results based on independent Mobile Mark tests. See samsung.com/ITDlegalinfo for further details.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in consumer electronics and the core components that go into them. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 227,000 people across 75 countries with annual sales exceeding US$143 billion. Our goal is opening new possibilities for people everywhere. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,058
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,273
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 29, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,484
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 29, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,744
We all know the latest numbers: Gartner, Inc. forecasts that 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30 percent from last year, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. We're rapidly approaching a data production of 40 zettabytes a day – more than we can every physically store, and exabytes and yottabytes are just around the corner. For many that’s a good sign, as data has been proven to equal money – IF it’s ingested, integrated, and analyzed fast enough. Without real-ti...
Jul. 29, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,172
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Jul. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 952
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 29, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 923
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 386
Cloud analytics is dramatically altering business intelligence. Some businesses will capitalize on these promising new technologies and gain key insights that’ll help them gain competitive advantage. And others won’t. Whether you’re a business leader, an IT manager, or an analyst, we want to help you and the people you need to influence with a free copy of “Cloud Analytics for Dummies,” the essential guide to this explosive new space for business intelligence.
Jul. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 985
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,247
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,082
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 449
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 408
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 29, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 668
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 29, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 472