|By Business Wire||
|January 10, 2013 10:55 PM EST||
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader in consumer electronics, highlights its leadership in creating innovative, eco-conscious technology at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). In addition to being the Exclusive Green Sponsor of this year’s CES, the company is demonstrating its wide variety of beautiful products with eco-conscious features at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth (#12004) in Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Lisa Jackson, Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, congratulated Samsung's North America Executive Vice President of Corporate Strategy on the company's work to promote the Energy Star program during a tour of the Samsung booth at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. (Photo: Business Wire)
Three of the four Samsung 2013 Eco-Design Award-winners – the Series 9 Premium Ultrabook, the CLP-365W Laser Color Printer, and the Green DDR3 – will be on display at the Eco Zone.
- Samsung’s Series 9 Premium Ultrabook is designed to meet strict performance and environmental criteria with extremely low energy consumption both in idle and standby modes, which leads to a reduction in environmental impact. The Series 9 is also free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFR). Samsung also developed a longer-lasting battery specifically for the Series 9 which delivers up to 10 hours of power on a single charge¹ and an optimized Smart Step Charging Algorithm that improves the multi-way charger by control charging conditions depending on voltage and current. Samsung’s unique suite of software allows people to choose between Power-saving and Eco-modes. The Series 9 has been certified worldwide with energy certifications such as ENERGY STAR v5.2, EPEAT Gold rating, and TCO notebooks 3.1.
- Samsung’s CLP-365W Laser Color Printer offers a number of environmentally friendly features such as the “One-Touch Eco Button” and the “Easy Eco Driver” which are designed to save power, paper and toner. As part of Samsung’s commitment to the environment, all of the latest color models have earned the ENERGY STAR-certification and all toner is eligible for Samsung’s S.T.A.R. Program, a free service that recycles empty cartridges into usable component materials.
- Samsung’s Green DDR3 is a highly advanced memory module designed for server systems used to support the infrastructure of a wide variety of server applications. It delivers the highest memory performance available today for servers (1333 Mbps) and at its highest density enables extremely high capacity (3TB max) memory configurations for four-way server systems. Operating with a voltage of 1.35V, according to Samsung tests it provides an average 70% power savings (per unit density) over a 50nm class equivalent, 1.5V DDR3-based RDIMM.
“Samsung’s Eco Zone Display at CES exemplifies our continued commitment to the environment and the long-term life expectancy and durability of our products that make our technology truly sustainable,” said David Steel, Executive Vice President of Strategy for Samsung Electronics North America. “We look forward to creating new technology that will provide people with the next generation of eco-friendly features they never dreamed was possible.”
The other 2013 Eco-Design Award-winner, Samsung’s new LED Smart Bulb, was unveiled at the Official Press Event of the International CES on Jan. 6 and will be featured at the Innovations Design and Engineering Awards Showcase in The Venetian.
- Samsung’s LED Smart Bulb uses less energy and lasts longer than incandescent bulbs. The 13.6W bulb casts a pleasant warm white glow that matches the brightness of a 50W incandescent bulb which is sufficient for the most common areas of the home. It is also flicker-free, and unlike CFLs, reaches full illumination immediately. This state-of-the-art product is also integrated with a wireless communication protocol, which allows people to easily control the lighting by using their smartphone to change the ambience of a space - even from the comfort of their sofa.
Other products with eco-conscious features on display at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth include:
- The Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate™ (SGH-1577) with AT&T is the first 4G LTE smartphone to receive platinum certification from UL Environment, a business unit of UL (Underwriters Laboratories). UL Environment sets minimum requirements for “environmentally preferable” mobile devices by measuring environmentally sensitive materials, energy management, manufacturing and operations, impact to health and environment, product performance, packaging and product stewardship. The Exhilarate features a rear casing made from 80 percent recycled (post-consumer waste) material and is packaged with a low-load, energy-efficient charger that alerts customers when the device is fully charged.
- The WiFi-enabled Samsung WF457ARGSGR front-load washer which delivers large capacity, smart features, and superior cleaning performance in an eco-efficient model. This washer features SpeedSpray which delivers a concentrated solution of detergent to clean more quickly, saving up to 90 minutes per week on laundry. The washer meets ENERGY STAR’s most efficient washer criteria, representing the top 5 percent of washers in energy performance. It also features a Smart Control system that allows people to control their washer remotely. Through a wireless router and a smart phone application, people can monitor cycle selections, remaining time and finishing alerts, as well as start or pause the washer.
- The Samsung RF263BEAESR French Door stainless steel refrigerator is a modern, stylish, and organized partner in the kitchen. The ENERGY STAR-qualified CEE Tier 3 refrigerator uses 31 percent less energy than the Department of Energy standards and is designed to exceed 2014 standards, making it as efficient as it is functional, without compromising capacity and contemporary design. The 26 cu. ft. refrigerator also features Samsung’s exclusive Twin Cooling Plus® System, which circulates air within the refrigerator and freezer compartments individually. Two separate evaporators and air flow streams eliminate the transfer of odors between compartments and maintain optimal humidity levels, keeping produce fresher, longer, and help save money on grocery bills.
Products such as the UN55F8000AF and the UN46F8000AF on display outside the Eco Zone at the Samsung booth also feature eco-conscious features. These LED TVs were the first in the industry to qualify for the newly created UL Environment Gold Level designation based on the IEEE Standard for Environmental Assessment of Televisions (1680.3). The nationally recognized standard helps identify electronic equipment that are more eco-friendly. To qualify for Gold Level, the TV must meet all required criteria plus 75% of the optional criteria.
In addition to the company’s commitment to energy-saving, eco-conscious, and sustainable technology, Samsung understands the importance of recycling technology in a safe and convenient way. To help consumers responsibly recycle their old electronics, Samsung makes it easy as possible by offering collection opportunities in all 50 states. Through its 900+ recycling locations, Samsung collected and responsibly recycled more than 83 million pounds of e-waste in 2012 and more than 239 million pounds of e-waste since the Samsung Recycling Direct program began in 2008.
¹Test results based on independent Mobile Mark tests. See samsung.com/ITDlegalinfo for further details.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in consumer electronics and the core components that go into them. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 227,000 people across 75 countries with annual sales exceeding US$143 billion. Our goal is opening new possibilities for people everywhere. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Sep. 3, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 364
Puppet Labs is pleased to share the findings from our 2015 State of DevOps Survey. We have deepened our understanding of how DevOps enables IT performance and organizational performance, based on responses from more than 20,000 technical professionals we’ve surveyed over the past four years. The 2015 State of DevOps Report reveals high-performing IT organizations deploy 30x more frequently with 200x shorter lead times. They have 60x fewer failures and recover 168x faster
Sep. 3, 2015 12:59 PM EDT
In today's digital world, change is the one constant. Disruptive innovations like cloud, mobility, social media, and the Internet of Things have reshaped the market and set new standards in customer expectations. To remain competitive, businesses must tap the potential of emerging technologies and markets through the rapid release of new products and services. However, the rigid and siloed structures of traditional IT platforms and processes are slowing them down – resulting in lengthy delivery ...
Sep. 3, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 634
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Sep. 3, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 281
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and e...
Sep. 3, 2015 12:15 PM EDT
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 245
Containers are not new, but renewed commitments to performance, flexibility, and agility have propelled them to the top of the agenda today. By working without the need for virtualization and its overhead, containers are seen as the perfect way to deploy apps and services across multiple clouds. Containers can handle anything from file types to operating systems and services, including microservices. What are microservices? Unlike what the name implies, microservices are not necessarily small,...
Sep. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 120
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing thes...
Sep. 3, 2015 11:30 AM EDT
ElasticBox, the agile application delivery manager, announced freely available public boxes for the DevOps community. ElasticBox works with enterprises to help them deploy any application to any cloud. Public boxes are curated reference boxes that represent some of the most popular applications and tools for orchestrating deployments at scale. Boxes are an adaptive way to represent reusable infrastructure as components of code. Boxes contain scripts, variables, and metadata to automate proces...
Sep. 3, 2015 11:30 AM EDT
The web app is agile. The REST API is agile. The testing and planning are agile. But alas, data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes that force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software organ...
Sep. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 131
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Sep. 3, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 569
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Sep. 3, 2015 10:45 AM EDT
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., will focus on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what...
Sep. 3, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 116
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Sep. 3, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 279
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Sep. 3, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,599