|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2013 07:01 PM EST||
LONDON, January 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Souvenaid, a "Food for Special Medical Purposes" for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease
From today, Souvenaid, a unique 125ml once-a-day drink, is available for people living with early Alzheimer's disease. This over-the-counter innovative product is the result of over 10 years' research into the nutritional needs of people living with the early stages of the disease.
Around 800,000 people in the UK live with dementia,1 of which Alzheimer's disease is the most common form. It is a growing health problem in an aging population, leading the government to prioritise earlier diagnosis of the condition.
The loss of connections in the brain (synapses) is one of the key features of early Alzheimer's disease. A combination of nutrients are required in the process of making new connections and people living with Alzheimer's disease have been shown to have relatively low levels of these nutrients in their bodies despite eating a normal diet.2,3,4,5,6,7
This adds to a growing body of evidence that highlights how nutrition can help manage the disease in the early stages.8,9,10,11,12,13
Dr David Wilkinson, Consultant in Old Age Psychiatry, commented: "Alzheimer's disease is not part and parcel of aging but a serious and progressive disease of the brain which prevents us from being able to retain new memories. As we age, our bodies become less efficient at processing essential nutrients, meaning that we need to increase our intake of food to absorb the same amount of nutrients in order to maintain a healthy body. In the same way, we need the right nutrients for our brains to keep them healthy.
"Alzheimer's disease sufferers often find it very difficult to get everything they need through diet alone and the nutritional intervention by the use of Souvenaid is a new area of research offering promising results for the management of early Alzheimer's disease."
The current healthcare provision for people with early Alzheimer's disease fails to reflect the important role that nutrition can play in managing the disease. A recent survey of specialists involved in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease showed that only a third (33%) regularly assess patients' nutritional status during the diagnostic process.14 Two-thirds of specialists do not even have access to a dietician for these patients.14
Often, after a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease, it can be difficult to stay positive, particularly when there is little to offer in the way of effective early interventions. Souvenaid offers a new option for people living with early-stage Alzheimer's disease.
Barbara Stephens, Dementia UK Chief Executive, commented: "A diagnosis of dementia is devastating both for those with the condition and their families and carers. Early-stage intervention is important for maximising choices and enabling people with dementia and their carers to lead healthier lives for longer."
Souvenaid contains a unique combination of nutrients that are naturally present in food, at levels difficult to achieve from diet alone. It contains: omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA]), uridine (as uridine monophosphate [UMP]) and choline, together with phospholipids and B vitamins. Souvenaid comes in two tasty flavours (vanilla and strawberry) and tastes best served chilled. Souvenaid is designed to be incorporated into the daily routine, for example, by taking it at breakfast time.
Souvenaid is a Food for Special Medical Purposes, for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease. It is available over-the-counter from local accredited pharmacists. People with early Alzheimer's disease must speak with a doctor, specialist nurse, dietician or pharmacist to see if Souvenaid is right for them.
Please visit http://www.souvenaid.com for more information.
Notes to Editors
About Nutricia Advanced Medical Nutrition
- Nutricia is the leading medical nutrition company in Europe. It is part of Danone, one of the fastest-growing food and nutrition companies in the world.
- Nutricia aims to bring health through medical nutrition to those people who most need it, focusing on people with disease- or age-related nutritional needs.
- Nutricia has an extensive portfolio of products and services, catering from nutritional needs in metabolic conditions such as phenylketonuria (PKU), to non-metabolic conditions such as allergy and epilepsy, to disease-related malnutrition and frailty.
- Through its Homeward service and 100 dedicated nurses, Nutricia supports over 20,000 people in the UK who require enteral nutrition (tube feeding) support in their own homes.
- Designed to be taken daily.
- A 125ml daily drink, available in two tasty flavours, vanilla and strawberry.
- A food for special medical purposes and must be used under medical supervision.
- Available from 14th January 2013 in accredited pharmacies in England, Wales and Scotland, and via http://www.souvenaid.com.
- Gluten and lactose free.
- A unique combination of nutrients including omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid, DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)), uridine (as uridine monophosphate (UMP)) and choline, together with phospholipids and B vitamins. Whilst such nutrients are naturally present in food, such levels are difficult to achieve from diet alone.
The safety and efficacy of Souvenaid has been studied in several clinical trials.7,15,16 A further study in prodromal (non-symptomatic Alzheimer's disease) is currently underway. This trial is wholly funded by the European Union.17
Please visit http://www.souvenaid.com for more information.
1. Alzheimer's Society. Statistics [Online] http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=341 [Accessed December 2012].
2. Jicha GA, Markesbery WR. Omega-3 fatty acids: potential role in the management of early Alzheimer's disease. Clin Interv Aging. 2010;5:45-61.
3. Smach MA, Jacob N, Golmard J-L et al. Folate and homocysteine in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with Alzheimer's disease or dementia: a case control study. Eur. Neurol. 2011;65(5):270-8.
4. Glasø M, Nordbø G, Diep L, Bøhmer T. Reduced concentrations of several vitamins in normal weight patients with late-onset dementia of the Alzheimer type without vascular disease. J Nutr Health Aging. 2004;8(5):407-13.
5. Lopes da Silva S, Elemans S et al. Plasma nutrient status of Alzheimer's disease patients compared to cognitive intact elderly controls; a systematic review and meta-analysis. Alzheimers Dement 2012; 8(4):Supple 2 216.
6. Sijben J, Olde Rikkert MG et al. Different nutritional status in patients with mild Alzheimer's disease compared to healthy controls. Eur J Neurol 2012; in press.
7. Scheltens P, Twisk JW, Blesa R et al. Efficacy of Souvenaid in mild Alzheimer's disease: results from a randomized, controlled trial. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012; 31:225-36.
8. Morris MC, Evans DA, Bienias JL et al. Consumption of fish and n-3 fatty acids and risk of incident Alzheimer disease. Arch. Neurol. 2003; 60(7):940-6.
9. Sydenham E, Dangour AD, Lim W-S. Omega 3 fatty acid for the prevention of cognitive decline and dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 6:CD005379.
10. Gu Y, Nieves JW, Stern Y et al. Food combination and Alzheimer disease risk: a protective diet. Arch. Neurol. 2010; 67(6):699-706.
11. Zandi PP, Anthony JC, Khachaturian AS et al. Reduced risk of Alzheimer disease in users of antioxidant vitamin supplements: the Cache County Study. Arch. Neurol. 2004; 61(1):82-8.
12. Quadri P, Fragiacomo C, Pezzati R et al. Homocysteine, folate, and vitamin B-12 in mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer disease, and vascular dementia. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2004; 80(1):114-122.
13. Sachdev PS. Homocysteine and brain atrophy. Prog. Neuropsychopharmacol. Biol. Psychiatry. 2005; 29(7):1152-1161.
14. 100 specialists were surveyed online. Fieldwork was conducted by MedeConnect Healthcare Insight 2-16 November 2012.
15. Scheltens P, Kamphuis PJ, Verhey F et al. Efficacy of a medical food in mild Alzheimer's Disease: a randomized controlled trial.
Alzheimer's & Dementia. 2010;6:1-10.
16. Shah R et al. Souvenaid® as an add-on intervention in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease using Alzheimer's disease medication: results from a randomized, controlled, double-blind study (S-Connect). CTAD, San Diego, November 2011; J Nutr Health Aging (Nov suppl.).
17. European Commission website. LipiDiDiet: http:ec.europa.eu/research/bioeconomy/lipidiet_en.htm [Accessed December 2012].
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,650
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,989
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,277
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,006
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,178
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 712
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,051
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,440
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 27, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,340
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin, ...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 6,719
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,357
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 27, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,998
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 27, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,128
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,101
Building custom add-ons does not need to be limited to the ideas you see on a marketplace. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sukhbir Dhillon, CEO and founder of Addteq, will go over some adventures they faced in developing integrations using Atlassian SDK and other technologies/platforms and how it has enabled development teams to experiment with newer paradigms like Serverless and newer features of Atlassian SDKs. In this presentation, you will be taken on a journey of Add-On and Integration ...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,167