|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2013 07:01 PM EST||
LONDON, January 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Souvenaid, a "Food for Special Medical Purposes" for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease
From today, Souvenaid, a unique 125ml once-a-day drink, is available for people living with early Alzheimer's disease. This over-the-counter innovative product is the result of over 10 years' research into the nutritional needs of people living with the early stages of the disease.
Around 800,000 people in the UK live with dementia,1 of which Alzheimer's disease is the most common form. It is a growing health problem in an aging population, leading the government to prioritise earlier diagnosis of the condition.
The loss of connections in the brain (synapses) is one of the key features of early Alzheimer's disease. A combination of nutrients are required in the process of making new connections and people living with Alzheimer's disease have been shown to have relatively low levels of these nutrients in their bodies despite eating a normal diet.2,3,4,5,6,7
This adds to a growing body of evidence that highlights how nutrition can help manage the disease in the early stages.8,9,10,11,12,13
Dr David Wilkinson, Consultant in Old Age Psychiatry, commented: "Alzheimer's disease is not part and parcel of aging but a serious and progressive disease of the brain which prevents us from being able to retain new memories. As we age, our bodies become less efficient at processing essential nutrients, meaning that we need to increase our intake of food to absorb the same amount of nutrients in order to maintain a healthy body. In the same way, we need the right nutrients for our brains to keep them healthy.
"Alzheimer's disease sufferers often find it very difficult to get everything they need through diet alone and the nutritional intervention by the use of Souvenaid is a new area of research offering promising results for the management of early Alzheimer's disease."
The current healthcare provision for people with early Alzheimer's disease fails to reflect the important role that nutrition can play in managing the disease. A recent survey of specialists involved in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease showed that only a third (33%) regularly assess patients' nutritional status during the diagnostic process.14 Two-thirds of specialists do not even have access to a dietician for these patients.14
Often, after a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease, it can be difficult to stay positive, particularly when there is little to offer in the way of effective early interventions. Souvenaid offers a new option for people living with early-stage Alzheimer's disease.
Barbara Stephens, Dementia UK Chief Executive, commented: "A diagnosis of dementia is devastating both for those with the condition and their families and carers. Early-stage intervention is important for maximising choices and enabling people with dementia and their carers to lead healthier lives for longer."
Souvenaid contains a unique combination of nutrients that are naturally present in food, at levels difficult to achieve from diet alone. It contains: omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA]), uridine (as uridine monophosphate [UMP]) and choline, together with phospholipids and B vitamins. Souvenaid comes in two tasty flavours (vanilla and strawberry) and tastes best served chilled. Souvenaid is designed to be incorporated into the daily routine, for example, by taking it at breakfast time.
Souvenaid is a Food for Special Medical Purposes, for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease. It is available over-the-counter from local accredited pharmacists. People with early Alzheimer's disease must speak with a doctor, specialist nurse, dietician or pharmacist to see if Souvenaid is right for them.
Please visit http://www.souvenaid.com for more information.
Notes to Editors
About Nutricia Advanced Medical Nutrition
- Nutricia is the leading medical nutrition company in Europe. It is part of Danone, one of the fastest-growing food and nutrition companies in the world.
- Nutricia aims to bring health through medical nutrition to those people who most need it, focusing on people with disease- or age-related nutritional needs.
- Nutricia has an extensive portfolio of products and services, catering from nutritional needs in metabolic conditions such as phenylketonuria (PKU), to non-metabolic conditions such as allergy and epilepsy, to disease-related malnutrition and frailty.
- Through its Homeward service and 100 dedicated nurses, Nutricia supports over 20,000 people in the UK who require enteral nutrition (tube feeding) support in their own homes.
- Designed to be taken daily.
- A 125ml daily drink, available in two tasty flavours, vanilla and strawberry.
- A food for special medical purposes and must be used under medical supervision.
- Available from 14th January 2013 in accredited pharmacies in England, Wales and Scotland, and via http://www.souvenaid.com.
- Gluten and lactose free.
- A unique combination of nutrients including omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid, DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)), uridine (as uridine monophosphate (UMP)) and choline, together with phospholipids and B vitamins. Whilst such nutrients are naturally present in food, such levels are difficult to achieve from diet alone.
The safety and efficacy of Souvenaid has been studied in several clinical trials.7,15,16 A further study in prodromal (non-symptomatic Alzheimer's disease) is currently underway. This trial is wholly funded by the European Union.17
Please visit http://www.souvenaid.com for more information.
1. Alzheimer's Society. Statistics [Online] http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=341 [Accessed December 2012].
2. Jicha GA, Markesbery WR. Omega-3 fatty acids: potential role in the management of early Alzheimer's disease. Clin Interv Aging. 2010;5:45-61.
3. Smach MA, Jacob N, Golmard J-L et al. Folate and homocysteine in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with Alzheimer's disease or dementia: a case control study. Eur. Neurol. 2011;65(5):270-8.
4. Glasø M, Nordbø G, Diep L, Bøhmer T. Reduced concentrations of several vitamins in normal weight patients with late-onset dementia of the Alzheimer type without vascular disease. J Nutr Health Aging. 2004;8(5):407-13.
5. Lopes da Silva S, Elemans S et al. Plasma nutrient status of Alzheimer's disease patients compared to cognitive intact elderly controls; a systematic review and meta-analysis. Alzheimers Dement 2012; 8(4):Supple 2 216.
6. Sijben J, Olde Rikkert MG et al. Different nutritional status in patients with mild Alzheimer's disease compared to healthy controls. Eur J Neurol 2012; in press.
7. Scheltens P, Twisk JW, Blesa R et al. Efficacy of Souvenaid in mild Alzheimer's disease: results from a randomized, controlled trial. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012; 31:225-36.
8. Morris MC, Evans DA, Bienias JL et al. Consumption of fish and n-3 fatty acids and risk of incident Alzheimer disease. Arch. Neurol. 2003; 60(7):940-6.
9. Sydenham E, Dangour AD, Lim W-S. Omega 3 fatty acid for the prevention of cognitive decline and dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 6:CD005379.
10. Gu Y, Nieves JW, Stern Y et al. Food combination and Alzheimer disease risk: a protective diet. Arch. Neurol. 2010; 67(6):699-706.
11. Zandi PP, Anthony JC, Khachaturian AS et al. Reduced risk of Alzheimer disease in users of antioxidant vitamin supplements: the Cache County Study. Arch. Neurol. 2004; 61(1):82-8.
12. Quadri P, Fragiacomo C, Pezzati R et al. Homocysteine, folate, and vitamin B-12 in mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer disease, and vascular dementia. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2004; 80(1):114-122.
13. Sachdev PS. Homocysteine and brain atrophy. Prog. Neuropsychopharmacol. Biol. Psychiatry. 2005; 29(7):1152-1161.
14. 100 specialists were surveyed online. Fieldwork was conducted by MedeConnect Healthcare Insight 2-16 November 2012.
15. Scheltens P, Kamphuis PJ, Verhey F et al. Efficacy of a medical food in mild Alzheimer's Disease: a randomized controlled trial.
Alzheimer's & Dementia. 2010;6:1-10.
16. Shah R et al. Souvenaid® as an add-on intervention in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease using Alzheimer's disease medication: results from a randomized, controlled, double-blind study (S-Connect). CTAD, San Diego, November 2011; J Nutr Health Aging (Nov suppl.).
17. European Commission website. LipiDiDiet: http:ec.europa.eu/research/bioeconomy/lipidiet_en.htm [Accessed December 2012].
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 25, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,071
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 25, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 924
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 25, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,189
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 25, 2017 09:39 AM EDT Reads: 118
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth? In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,707
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 250
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Apr. 25, 2017 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,004
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 25, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 801
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 25, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,939
As pervasive as cloud technology is -- and as persuasive as the arguments are for using it -- the cloud has its limits. Some companies will always have security concerns about storing data in the cloud and certain high-transaction applications will always be better suited for on-premises storage. Those statements were among the bottom-line takeaways delivered at Cloud Expo this week, a three day, bi-annual event focused on cloud technologies, adoption and associated challenges.
Apr. 25, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,849
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 25, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,166
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 816
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 25, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 211
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 25, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 370
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Apr. 25, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 8,962