|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2013 03:06 PM EST||
CRESSKILL, N.J., Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Special Master has recommended attorney fees in the largest settlement—$1 billion—ever awarded in a class action suit over price-fixing. In Re: TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation (07-01827, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California) alleged that from 1996-2006, Asian TFT-LCD panel manufacturers conspired to violate U.S. anti-trust laws, driving up prices and reducing the availability of the products used in televisions, computers, and other digital devices. In that period, the conspirators sold $71.9 billion in price-fixed panels worldwide—at least $23.5 billion in the U.S. where companies that used the panels in their products, distributors, and consumers overpaid by billions of dollars. After more than five years of litigation, attorneys have yet to receive any compensation. Even with the recommendation of attorney fees, it will be months—if not years—before settlements are released, so RD Legal Funding is making settlement financing immediately available to the TFT-LCD Antitrust attorneys.
TFT-LCD is a thin film transistor liquid crystal display in which each pixel has its own transistor on the glass itself, improving the LCD's image quality.
- 2001: Days after 9/11, conspirators representing major Asian electronics manufacturers meet in Taiwan and agree to fix LCD prices in the U.S. and elsewhere. At monthly "Crystal Meetings" they exchange production, shipping, supply and demand information, and fix prices.
- Mid-2005: Aware that customers suspect price-fixing, lower-level employees replace top-level employees at the meetings which are moved from hotel rooms to public restaurants.
- 2006: Learning about a U.S. price-fixing investigation into the dynamic random access memory (DRAM) industry, conspirators switch to meeting one-on-one.
- Mid-2006: The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)'s Antitrust Division requests FBI assistance in investigating LCD price-fixing.
- December 2006: U.S., Japan, Korea, and the European Union announce an investigation into anti-competitive activity among LCD panel manufacturers.
- 2006: DOJ accepts Samsung into its leniency program in exchange for concrete evidence of LCD price-fixing.
- November 2008: LG Display Co. Ltd. and LG Display America, Inc.; Chunghwa Picture Tubes; Hitachi Displays; Epson Imaging Devices Corporation; and Chi Mei Optoelectronics plead guilty to criminal charges of fixing prices of TFT-LCD panels sold in the U.S., agreeing to pay $58 million in criminal fines.
- 2009: The request is made to certify cases against TFT-LCD manufacturers, brought on behalf of individuals and businesses that purchased TFT-LCDs directly and indirectly, as a class action suit.
- June 2010: A federal grand jury returns an indictment against AU Optronics (AUO), its Houston-based U.S. subsidiary, and five current and former executives for violating the Sherman Act, levying a $500 million criminal fine. Former AUO President Hsuan Bin Chen and Executive Vice President Hui Hsiung are sentenced to three years in prison and a $200,000 criminal fine. AUO is ordered to implement an internal compliance program, hire an independent compliance monitor, and take out ads in U.S. and Taiwanese newspapers publicizing the criminal sanctions taken against it.
- July 3, 2012: A California jury returns a verdict against Toshiba. AUO, LG Display Co., and Toshiba Corp. agree to pay $571 million to resolve price-fixing allegations including $27.5 million in civil penalties to eight states. Toshiba denies any wrongdoing. Money from the settlement will be available to consumers in 24 states.
For more information about post-settlement financing, TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation attorneys should contact RD Legal Funding at 1-800-565-5177 or go to legalfunding.com. Founded in 1997, RD Legal Funding is now one of the nation's leading providers of post-settlement attorney financing.
SOURCE RD Legal Funding, LLC
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,732
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 966
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,475
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 29, 2016 01:01 PM EDT Reads: 207
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,019
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 815
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,187
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 821
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 864
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 29, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 739
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 29, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 847
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 29, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 938
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 29, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 818
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 29, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,429
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,838