|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2013 03:06 PM EST||
CRESSKILL, N.J., Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Special Master has recommended attorney fees in the largest settlement—$1 billion—ever awarded in a class action suit over price-fixing. In Re: TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation (07-01827, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California) alleged that from 1996-2006, Asian TFT-LCD panel manufacturers conspired to violate U.S. anti-trust laws, driving up prices and reducing the availability of the products used in televisions, computers, and other digital devices. In that period, the conspirators sold $71.9 billion in price-fixed panels worldwide—at least $23.5 billion in the U.S. where companies that used the panels in their products, distributors, and consumers overpaid by billions of dollars. After more than five years of litigation, attorneys have yet to receive any compensation. Even with the recommendation of attorney fees, it will be months—if not years—before settlements are released, so RD Legal Funding is making settlement financing immediately available to the TFT-LCD Antitrust attorneys.
TFT-LCD is a thin film transistor liquid crystal display in which each pixel has its own transistor on the glass itself, improving the LCD's image quality.
- 2001: Days after 9/11, conspirators representing major Asian electronics manufacturers meet in Taiwan and agree to fix LCD prices in the U.S. and elsewhere. At monthly "Crystal Meetings" they exchange production, shipping, supply and demand information, and fix prices.
- Mid-2005: Aware that customers suspect price-fixing, lower-level employees replace top-level employees at the meetings which are moved from hotel rooms to public restaurants.
- 2006: Learning about a U.S. price-fixing investigation into the dynamic random access memory (DRAM) industry, conspirators switch to meeting one-on-one.
- Mid-2006: The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)'s Antitrust Division requests FBI assistance in investigating LCD price-fixing.
- December 2006: U.S., Japan, Korea, and the European Union announce an investigation into anti-competitive activity among LCD panel manufacturers.
- 2006: DOJ accepts Samsung into its leniency program in exchange for concrete evidence of LCD price-fixing.
- November 2008: LG Display Co. Ltd. and LG Display America, Inc.; Chunghwa Picture Tubes; Hitachi Displays; Epson Imaging Devices Corporation; and Chi Mei Optoelectronics plead guilty to criminal charges of fixing prices of TFT-LCD panels sold in the U.S., agreeing to pay $58 million in criminal fines.
- 2009: The request is made to certify cases against TFT-LCD manufacturers, brought on behalf of individuals and businesses that purchased TFT-LCDs directly and indirectly, as a class action suit.
- June 2010: A federal grand jury returns an indictment against AU Optronics (AUO), its Houston-based U.S. subsidiary, and five current and former executives for violating the Sherman Act, levying a $500 million criminal fine. Former AUO President Hsuan Bin Chen and Executive Vice President Hui Hsiung are sentenced to three years in prison and a $200,000 criminal fine. AUO is ordered to implement an internal compliance program, hire an independent compliance monitor, and take out ads in U.S. and Taiwanese newspapers publicizing the criminal sanctions taken against it.
- July 3, 2012: A California jury returns a verdict against Toshiba. AUO, LG Display Co., and Toshiba Corp. agree to pay $571 million to resolve price-fixing allegations including $27.5 million in civil penalties to eight states. Toshiba denies any wrongdoing. Money from the settlement will be available to consumers in 24 states.
For more information about post-settlement financing, TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation attorneys should contact RD Legal Funding at 1-800-565-5177 or go to legalfunding.com. Founded in 1997, RD Legal Funding is now one of the nation's leading providers of post-settlement attorney financing.
SOURCE RD Legal Funding, LLC
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,417
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 22, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,002
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 22, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,390
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Apr. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,779
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Apr. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,756
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 22, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,425
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 22, 2017 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth? In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,091
Cybersecurity is a critical component of software development in many industries including medical devices. However, code is not always written to be robust or secure from the unknown or the unexpected. This gap can make medical devices susceptible to cybersecurity attacks ranging from compromised personal health information to life-sustaining treatment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Fortney, Software Engineer at Battelle, will discuss how programming oversight using key methods can incre...
Apr. 22, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,628
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 22, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,133
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 22, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,645
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,297
Did you know that you can develop for mainframes in Java? Or that the testing and deployment can be automated across mobile to mainframe? In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Vaughn Marshall, Sr. Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will discuss and demo how increasingly teams are developing with agile methodologies using modern development environments and automating testing and deployments, mobile to mainframe.
Apr. 22, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 640
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 22, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,355
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 22, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,235