|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2013 03:06 PM EST||
CRESSKILL, N.J., Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Special Master has recommended attorney fees in the largest settlement—$1 billion—ever awarded in a class action suit over price-fixing. In Re: TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation (07-01827, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California) alleged that from 1996-2006, Asian TFT-LCD panel manufacturers conspired to violate U.S. anti-trust laws, driving up prices and reducing the availability of the products used in televisions, computers, and other digital devices. In that period, the conspirators sold $71.9 billion in price-fixed panels worldwide—at least $23.5 billion in the U.S. where companies that used the panels in their products, distributors, and consumers overpaid by billions of dollars. After more than five years of litigation, attorneys have yet to receive any compensation. Even with the recommendation of attorney fees, it will be months—if not years—before settlements are released, so RD Legal Funding is making settlement financing immediately available to the TFT-LCD Antitrust attorneys.
TFT-LCD is a thin film transistor liquid crystal display in which each pixel has its own transistor on the glass itself, improving the LCD's image quality.
- 2001: Days after 9/11, conspirators representing major Asian electronics manufacturers meet in Taiwan and agree to fix LCD prices in the U.S. and elsewhere. At monthly "Crystal Meetings" they exchange production, shipping, supply and demand information, and fix prices.
- Mid-2005: Aware that customers suspect price-fixing, lower-level employees replace top-level employees at the meetings which are moved from hotel rooms to public restaurants.
- 2006: Learning about a U.S. price-fixing investigation into the dynamic random access memory (DRAM) industry, conspirators switch to meeting one-on-one.
- Mid-2006: The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)'s Antitrust Division requests FBI assistance in investigating LCD price-fixing.
- December 2006: U.S., Japan, Korea, and the European Union announce an investigation into anti-competitive activity among LCD panel manufacturers.
- 2006: DOJ accepts Samsung into its leniency program in exchange for concrete evidence of LCD price-fixing.
- November 2008: LG Display Co. Ltd. and LG Display America, Inc.; Chunghwa Picture Tubes; Hitachi Displays; Epson Imaging Devices Corporation; and Chi Mei Optoelectronics plead guilty to criminal charges of fixing prices of TFT-LCD panels sold in the U.S., agreeing to pay $58 million in criminal fines.
- 2009: The request is made to certify cases against TFT-LCD manufacturers, brought on behalf of individuals and businesses that purchased TFT-LCDs directly and indirectly, as a class action suit.
- June 2010: A federal grand jury returns an indictment against AU Optronics (AUO), its Houston-based U.S. subsidiary, and five current and former executives for violating the Sherman Act, levying a $500 million criminal fine. Former AUO President Hsuan Bin Chen and Executive Vice President Hui Hsiung are sentenced to three years in prison and a $200,000 criminal fine. AUO is ordered to implement an internal compliance program, hire an independent compliance monitor, and take out ads in U.S. and Taiwanese newspapers publicizing the criminal sanctions taken against it.
- July 3, 2012: A California jury returns a verdict against Toshiba. AUO, LG Display Co., and Toshiba Corp. agree to pay $571 million to resolve price-fixing allegations including $27.5 million in civil penalties to eight states. Toshiba denies any wrongdoing. Money from the settlement will be available to consumers in 24 states.
For more information about post-settlement financing, TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation attorneys should contact RD Legal Funding at 1-800-565-5177 or go to legalfunding.com. Founded in 1997, RD Legal Funding is now one of the nation's leading providers of post-settlement attorney financing.
SOURCE RD Legal Funding, LLC
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 960
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,342
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,378
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,891
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Phil Hombledal, Solution Architect at CollabNet, discussed how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,334
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,805
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 887
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,306
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 901
"Venafi has a platform that allows you to manage, centralize and automate the complete life cycle of keys and certificates within the organization," explained Gina Osmond, Sr. Field Marketing Manager at Venafi, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,237
If you haven’t heard yet, CollabNet just put out some very big news for managing and gaining value from DevOps. We introduced CollabNet DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM) — a platform designed exclusively for providing a single pane of glass, dashboard, and traceability views across your DevOps toolchain and processes from planning to operations and that can be traced back to planning and development.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 900
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,048
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 717
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, discussed how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your aud...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 403
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,246