|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2013 03:00 PM EST||
DAYTON, Ohio, Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To highlight the volunteer work of Teradata employees worldwide, Teradata Cares is awarding five Celebration of Caring Awards. Teradata (NYSE: TDC), the leading analytic data solutions company, has recognized the winners' efforts with $1,000 grants to the charities where they volunteer, and with crystal awards to the winners to commemorate their exemplary dedication to volunteer service.
A panel of 24 judges evaluated the Teradata Cares community relations volunteer program nominations. This is the fifth year of the Celebration of Caringawards.
NOTE to Editors and Readers: photos of award winners are available in the Teradata News Room
Mike Koehler, Teradata president and chief executive officer.
"We are pleased to honor our Celebration of Caring award winners for their service, dedication and compassion in making significant volunteer contributions in their neighborhoods. These winners uphold a core Teradata value of social responsibility by fostering a tighter connection between company and community."
Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata Corporation.
"We received many nominations for the Celebration of Caring awards for the outstanding public service contributions made by our employees. The remarkable commitment of these winners to building stronger communities is an inspiration to all of us.
Selected from Teradata's more than 10,000 employees worldwide, the 2012 Teradata Cares community relations volunteer program winners are:
- 2012 Americas Employee of the Year – Tammy Gorman, Cincinnati, Ohio. Gorman is a Court Appointed Special Advocate for abused and neglected children. In 2012, she volunteered more than 375 hours of child advocacy service on behalf of eight children across five biological families. Trained Advocates are sworn officers of the court and are appointed by judges to attend all court hearings relative to a child's case and to represent the best interest of the child to the court. As an Advocate for nearly four years, Gorman has advocated for more than 20 children who have no one to be their voice.
- 2012 EMEA Teradata Cares Employee of the Year – Maliha Elahi, Islamabad, Pakistan. Elahi conceptualized an idea to promote child education for girls at the same time encourage entrepreneurship in women living in poverty. She has dedicated more than 600 hours toward her efforts since 2010 and in May of 2012, Elahi was able to implement the education program. Now, 30 children in an impoverished area of Pakistan are in school. Further, the village woman who opened the school in her home has gained financial independence for the first time in her life.
- 2012 Asia-Pacific Teradata Cares Employee of the Year – Ganesh Arcot, Hyderabad, India. Arcot was motivated by a desire to give back to the Tagores Home New Era Institute in Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, where he was educated. As a volunteer with Annapurna, Arcot, and others he recruited from the Teradata Hyderabad office, renovated the rest rooms, repaired electrical wires, transformed the school computer lab, set up a new library, and led a committee to sponsor students from the school who lacked financial support. Arcot has been serving the volunteer organization since 2006 and during 2012 invested more than 350 volunteer hours.
- 2012 Teradata Cares Team of the Year – Teradata India Engineering Services Hyderabad, India. The Teradata India Engineering Services (TIES) Team focuses on education, medical, environmental and self-sustaining initiatives to help the community to help itself. More than 75 participants volunteered 1,800 hours in 2012. TIES volunteers sponsored faculty and education fees for an underprivileged school and donated books and backpacks with supplies to orphanages. The volunteers have also donated money for life-saving surgery and collected unused medicines to be redistributed to the needy. The team has also encouraged people to plant trees and recycle paper.
- 2012 Teradata Cares Office of the Year – San Diego, California – In 2012, San Diego office employees volunteered more than 2,400 hours. Employees have restored natural habitat in the San Dieguito River Park, donated 157 pints of blood to the San Diego Blood Bank, and mentored FIRST robotics teams by training students on engineering and programming concepts. The Women of Teradata San Diego chapter raised $1,800 in donations for the Boys & Girls Club's Holiday Adopt-a-Family program, volunteered in a day care program and awarded $1,000 college scholarships to three local high school seniors majoring in science, technology, engineering or math disciplines. Together, the San Diego office volunteers have touched more than 900 lives and yielded more than $8,700 in donations to non-profit organizations.
Photos of individual and team award winners
Read "Winners Of The 2012 Teradata Cares Celebration of Caring Awards," Vision 2.0 blog
See Maliha Elahi's project on YouTube or Facebook.
Additional details about Teradata Cares community relations
Teradata Corporation (NYSE: TDC) is the world's leading analytic data solutions company, focused on integrated data warehousing, big data analytics, and business applications. Teradata's innovative products and services deliver data integration and business insight to empower organizations to make the best decisions possible and achieve competitive advantage. Visit teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata is a trademark or registered trademark of Teradata Corporation in the United States and other countries.
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 31, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,695
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 31, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,216
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Jul. 31, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,020
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 31, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,043
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,347
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,947
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,504
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,325
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,539
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,770
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,325
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,781
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,313
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,129
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 595