|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2013 03:00 PM EST||
DAYTON, Ohio, Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To highlight the volunteer work of Teradata employees worldwide, Teradata Cares is awarding five Celebration of Caring Awards. Teradata (NYSE: TDC), the leading analytic data solutions company, has recognized the winners' efforts with $1,000 grants to the charities where they volunteer, and with crystal awards to the winners to commemorate their exemplary dedication to volunteer service.
A panel of 24 judges evaluated the Teradata Cares community relations volunteer program nominations. This is the fifth year of the Celebration of Caringawards.
NOTE to Editors and Readers: photos of award winners are available in the Teradata News Room
Mike Koehler, Teradata president and chief executive officer.
"We are pleased to honor our Celebration of Caring award winners for their service, dedication and compassion in making significant volunteer contributions in their neighborhoods. These winners uphold a core Teradata value of social responsibility by fostering a tighter connection between company and community."
Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata Corporation.
"We received many nominations for the Celebration of Caring awards for the outstanding public service contributions made by our employees. The remarkable commitment of these winners to building stronger communities is an inspiration to all of us.
Selected from Teradata's more than 10,000 employees worldwide, the 2012 Teradata Cares community relations volunteer program winners are:
- 2012 Americas Employee of the Year – Tammy Gorman, Cincinnati, Ohio. Gorman is a Court Appointed Special Advocate for abused and neglected children. In 2012, she volunteered more than 375 hours of child advocacy service on behalf of eight children across five biological families. Trained Advocates are sworn officers of the court and are appointed by judges to attend all court hearings relative to a child's case and to represent the best interest of the child to the court. As an Advocate for nearly four years, Gorman has advocated for more than 20 children who have no one to be their voice.
- 2012 EMEA Teradata Cares Employee of the Year – Maliha Elahi, Islamabad, Pakistan. Elahi conceptualized an idea to promote child education for girls at the same time encourage entrepreneurship in women living in poverty. She has dedicated more than 600 hours toward her efforts since 2010 and in May of 2012, Elahi was able to implement the education program. Now, 30 children in an impoverished area of Pakistan are in school. Further, the village woman who opened the school in her home has gained financial independence for the first time in her life.
- 2012 Asia-Pacific Teradata Cares Employee of the Year – Ganesh Arcot, Hyderabad, India. Arcot was motivated by a desire to give back to the Tagores Home New Era Institute in Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, where he was educated. As a volunteer with Annapurna, Arcot, and others he recruited from the Teradata Hyderabad office, renovated the rest rooms, repaired electrical wires, transformed the school computer lab, set up a new library, and led a committee to sponsor students from the school who lacked financial support. Arcot has been serving the volunteer organization since 2006 and during 2012 invested more than 350 volunteer hours.
- 2012 Teradata Cares Team of the Year – Teradata India Engineering Services Hyderabad, India. The Teradata India Engineering Services (TIES) Team focuses on education, medical, environmental and self-sustaining initiatives to help the community to help itself. More than 75 participants volunteered 1,800 hours in 2012. TIES volunteers sponsored faculty and education fees for an underprivileged school and donated books and backpacks with supplies to orphanages. The volunteers have also donated money for life-saving surgery and collected unused medicines to be redistributed to the needy. The team has also encouraged people to plant trees and recycle paper.
- 2012 Teradata Cares Office of the Year – San Diego, California – In 2012, San Diego office employees volunteered more than 2,400 hours. Employees have restored natural habitat in the San Dieguito River Park, donated 157 pints of blood to the San Diego Blood Bank, and mentored FIRST robotics teams by training students on engineering and programming concepts. The Women of Teradata San Diego chapter raised $1,800 in donations for the Boys & Girls Club's Holiday Adopt-a-Family program, volunteered in a day care program and awarded $1,000 college scholarships to three local high school seniors majoring in science, technology, engineering or math disciplines. Together, the San Diego office volunteers have touched more than 900 lives and yielded more than $8,700 in donations to non-profit organizations.
Photos of individual and team award winners
Read "Winners Of The 2012 Teradata Cares Celebration of Caring Awards," Vision 2.0 blog
See Maliha Elahi's project on YouTube or Facebook.
Additional details about Teradata Cares community relations
Teradata Corporation (NYSE: TDC) is the world's leading analytic data solutions company, focused on integrated data warehousing, big data analytics, and business applications. Teradata's innovative products and services deliver data integration and business insight to empower organizations to make the best decisions possible and achieve competitive advantage. Visit teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata is a trademark or registered trademark of Teradata Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Your business relies on your applications and your employees to stay in business. Whether you develop apps or manage business critical apps that help fuel your business, what happens when users experience sluggish performance? You and all technical teams across the organization – application, network, operations, among others, as well as, those outside the organization, like ISPs and third-party providers – are called in to solve the problem.
Sep. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,623
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,467
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,800
Digital transformation is too big and important for our future success to not understand the rules that apply to it. The first three rules for winning in this age of hyper-digital transformation are: Advantages in speed, analytics and operational tempos must be captured by implementing an optimized information logistics system (OILS) Real-time operational tempos (IT, people and business processes) must be achieved Businesses that can "analyze data and act and with speed" will dominate those t...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,201
SYS-CON Events announced today the Kubernetes and Google Container Engine Workshop, being held November 3, 2016, in conjunction with @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele introduces participants to Kubernetes and Google Container Engine (GKE). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, students learn the key concepts and practices for deploying and maintainin...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,722
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,829
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,989
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,687
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,644
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,022
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,608
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Sep. 28, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 464
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,121
While DevOps promises a better and tighter integration among an organization’s development and operation teams and transforms an application life cycle into a continual deployment, Chef and Azure together provides a speedy, cost-effective and highly scalable vehicle for realizing the business values of this transformation. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, a Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, will present a unique opportunity to witness how Chef and Azure work tog...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,769
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,986