|By Business Wire||
|January 30, 2013 03:27 AM EST||
Lenovo Group today reported results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2012. In its best quarter ever, Lenovo continued to outgrow the market in all geographies with record sales, pre-tax income and earnings. Lenovo continued its push towards becoming the world’s leading PC maker and emerging global leader in PC Plus devices, with another quarterly sales record of $9.4 billion, an 12 percent year-over-year increase.
For 13 consecutive quarters, Lenovo has been the fastest growing major PC company. Lenovo was also recognized by IDC as the world’s third largest maker of “smart connected devices,” such as tablets, PCs and smartphones. At the same time, Lenovo had another quarter of record pre-tax income at US$246 million, demonstrating that such rapid growth is being achieved while profits increase.
Lenovo’s third quarter earnings were also a record at US$205 million, an increase of 34 percent over the last year, with gross margin at 11.8 percent. Gross profit for the third fiscal quarter increased 15 percent year-over-year, to US$1.1 billion, while operating profit for the third quarter was US$243 million, a 26 percent increase year-over-year. Basic earnings per share for the third fiscal quarter was 1.99 US cents, or 15.42 HK cents. Net cash reserves as of December 31, 2012, totaled US$4.2 billion.
The Company’s ‘Protect and Attack’ strategy – protecting the two profit pools of global commercial PC and the China businesses, while attacking three high growth opportunities in emerging markets, global consumer and PC Plus products, such as smartphones, tablets and smart TVs – continued to deliver results. This quarter, Attack businesses delivered 50 percent of the Company’s revenues, a significant increase from four years ago when the Company first launched the strategy and attack revenues were 32 percent. Further demonstrating the Company’s balance, its Mobile Internet and Digital Home (MIDH) revenues, which includes its smartphone, tablet and smart TV businesses, accounted for a record 11 percent of Company revenue this quarter, up 77 percent year over year. And for the first time, its smartphone business in China became profitable.
During the third fiscal quarter, Lenovo’s worldwide PC shipments grew 7.9 percent to an all time high of 15.9 percent* marketshare, in a difficult market that was down 7.8 percent year-over-year. This was the 15th quarter in a row the Company grew faster than the industry. Lenovo gained share points in every geography and every product category and in every respective customer segment.
While the Company’s organic growth continues to drive the majority of its success, shareholders should note that Lenovo has closed the joint venture and acquisitions announced in the previous two quarters, including its strategic partnership with EMC that includes a joint venture in EMC’s Iomega business; its acquisition of CCE, a leading PC+company in Brazil, and its acquisition of Stoneware, a US-based cloud computing company. Further, the Company reports that integration of all mergers and acquisitions transactions announced in the last three years are well on-track, and in many cases ahead of schedule.
Lenovo recently realigned its product development and supply chain organizations to create two new groups: the Lenovo Business Group, which will focus on mainstream PCs, mobile internet and digital home products; and the Think Business Group, which will focus on Think-branded products targeting high-end consumers and enterprises. Today, Lenovo is twice as large and much more diverse than it was when its existing structure was established over four years ago. That structure was ideal in supporting Lenovo’s business when it was mostly focused on its China PC and global commercial PC business. Today, the Company has built strong consumer, mobile and emerging markets businesses globally, so the change was proactively initiated to drive continued performance across all of these businesses, stay ahead of consumer demands, while driving speed, agility and innovation.
The recently concluded Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas continued to show that innovation is a significant competitive advantage and future growth driver for Lenovo. The Company was recognized with a record 50 awards at CES, including several “Best in Show” acknowledgments. A robust pipeline of innovative products including the IdeaCentre Horizon - a 27-inch table top PC; ThinkPad Helix - Lenovo’s latest convertible PC designed for business professionals; and the Intel-powered, K900 smartphone are well positioned to continue to stoke new customer demand and drive Lenovo’s performance.
"With the strong execution of our 'Protect and Attack' strategy, Lenovo has not only achieved record revenue, profit and global PC market share last quarter, but also our smartphone and tablet businesses have delivered hyper growth. Even more, our worldwide tablet and China smartphone businesses have become profitable," said Yang Yuanqing, chairman and CEO, Lenovo Group. "As we continue into the PC Plus era, Lenovo has already laid a solid foundation. Our new organization will provide the structure to elevate our diversified business and drive it to the next level. We are confident that we can win through differentiation and will be the innovation leader in the PC Plus era."
- Lenovo China achieved US$4.1 billion in consolidated sales in the third fiscal quarter, an increase of 17 percent year-over-year, accounting for 43 percent of the Company’s worldwide sales. Lenovo’s PC Plus strategy fueled outstanding performance in China with 83 percent MIDH revenue growth and a revenue contribution in China of 22 percent. The Company achieved an important milestone with China smartphone achieving profitability for the first time. Lenovo grew its number-one PC market share position in China, the world’s largest PC market, to 36.7 percent, up 1.4 points year-over-year. Lenovo’s PC shipments in China grew two percent year-over-year in the quarter, a solid result given that the overall China PC market was down two percent.
- In the Asia Pacific/Latin America region, Lenovo achieved 11.3 percent market share in the third fiscal quarter, up marginally year-over-year. In a PC market that was down nine percent year-over-year, the Company grew its PC shipments across the region by four percent. Lenovo continued its run as the leading PC vendor in Japan. Consolidated sales across the region totaled US$1.7 billion for 18 percent of Lenovo’s worldwide sales, while operating margins continued to be profitable.
- Lenovo in Europe Middle East & Africa grew PC shipments by 25.5 percent and became the second largest PC seller in this region, with 11 percent market share, an increase of 3.2 share points year-over-year. This was the Company’s first ever quarter to reach the number two position in the region. These achievements were made despite the headwind of overall industry decline in shipments of 11 percent across the region. The Company had consolidated sales in the third quarter of US$2.3 billion, a year-over-year improvement of 17 percent, good for 25 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales.
- Lenovo’s PC shipments in North America in the third fiscal quarter increased 11 percent year-over-year, in a market that fell by about seven percent. In this environment, the Company gained 1.5 share points to a record high market share of nine percent. Consolidated sales grew eight percent year-over-year to US$1.3 billion in the third quarter, or 14 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales. Also, for the first time in North America, Lenovo made significant inroads into the high-end consumer space, taking a large slice of sales of Windows 8 powered convertible devices – including 30 percent share of the US$700-and-above market and 45 percent share of the US$900-and-above market.
- In Laptop PCs, the Company’s worldwide shipments during the third fiscal quarter were up 9.5 percent year-over-year, helping Lenovo gain 2.6 share points and achieve market share of 15.8 percent. Across the industry, laptop shipments were down 8.6 percent year-over-year. Lenovo’s laptop computers continued to be the largest contributor to the Company’s sales worldwide, generating 52 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. Consolidated sales for Lenovo’s laptop PC business worldwide in the third fiscal quarter totaled US$4.8 billion, an increase of eight percent year-over-year. During the third quarter, Lenovo took the industry by storm, announcing a new family of convertible devices, touch optimized for Windows 8: the 11” and 13” Yogas, IdeaPad Lynx and ThinkPad Twist. Lenovo also announced ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch, adding touch experience to the industry’s leading business-class Ultrabook, and ThinkPad Twist, a business-ready device that puts a new spin on the traditional convertible tablet.
- Lenovo’s consolidated sales of Desktop PCs worldwide increased one percent year-over-year in the third fiscal quarter to US$2.8 billion, or 30 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. The Company’s desktop PC shipments worldwide in the third quarter increased 5.8 percent year-over-year worldwide, compared to an overall industry decrease of 6.8 percent. As a result, Lenovo gained 1.9 share points year-over-year and achieved a record-high market share of 16.1 percent. During the third quarter, Lenovo announced its new IdeaCentre Q190, the world’s smallest full-function desktop PC – measuring just 22mm (0.86 inches) wide – and the latest additions to the C-series all-in-one (AIO) family, featuring affordable, but powerful performance, and multimedia capabilities designed for immersive entertainment.
- As China’s second-largest provider of smartphones and tablets, Lenovo’s MIDH group continues to rapidly build its business. With consolidated sales of US$998 million, a 77 percent year-over-year increase in the third fiscal quarter, MIDH contributed 11 percent to the Company’s overall sales. Year over year, Lenovo gained 4.7 share points in the China smartphone market in the third quarter for an overall market share of 12.3 percent in China. This business achieved profitability as well. During the third quarter, Lenovo announced that it would begin selling smartphones in Russia, in addition to previously announced India, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam. These five countries plus China, represent 44 percent of the world’s population, and give Lenovo a strong sales presence in these important emerging economies.
Lenovo (HKSE: 0992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) is a US$30 billion personal technology company – one of the top two PC makers in the world and an emerging PC Plus leader – serving customers in more than 160 countries. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly-efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the Company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones. Lenovo, a global Fortune 500 company, has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.
*See IDC data, 4Q 2012
For the third quarter ended December 31, 2012
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
|Gross Profit Margin||11.8||%||11.4||%||
|Other Non-Operating Expenses||3||(1||)||NA|
|Profit for the period||200||154||30||%|
|Profit attributable to equity holders||205||153||34||%|
|EPS (US cents)|
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,920
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,136
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,250
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 26, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,743
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Aug. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,057
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 26, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,838
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 26, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,425
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 26, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 397
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 698
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 652
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 26, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,926
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 668
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 26, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,532
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,309
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,932