|By Business Wire||
|January 30, 2013 11:45 AM EST||
Purdue University innovations in research areas including personal health monitoring, advanced diabetes treatment and energy-efficient metal sheet processing, received more than $260,000 in the most recent round of awards through the Trask Innovation Fund.
"The Trask Innovation Fund provides critical financial support to Purdue researchers who have patented a technology but need to develop a prototype or finalize research data that supports the discovery’s move to the public," said Joseph B. Hornett, senior vice president, treasurer and COO of the Purdue Research Foundation.
The 10-member Trask Innovation Advisory Council is composed of external business executives and representatives from the Purdue Research Foundation, Purdue University Office of the Vice President for Research and Purdue faculty researchers.
"The process is competitive and the recipients must demonstrate how the discovery will meet a public need, how soon the technology can be commercialized, and how the Trask funds will help the researcher advance its development," said Richard O. Buckius, Purdue's vice president for research and co-director of the Trask Advisory Council.
Project managers from the Purdue Office of Technology Commercialization collaborate with Purdue researchers to move their discoveries through the patent and commercialization process.
"One of our primary goals is to encourage and support the development of new products that have commercial potential," said Elizabeth Hart-Wells, assistant vice president of the Purdue Office of Technology Commercialization and co-director of the Trask Advisory Council. "Each of our project managers is specialized in a specific discipline, and they work directly with researchers to protect Purdue’s intellectual property, and to translate and ultimately license a new technology to appropriate industry partners."
The researchers, projects and award amounts for this round of Trask funding are:
* Paul Collodi, professor, and Ten-Tsao Wong, research associate, both in the Purdue Department of Animal Sciences, "Large-scale Production of Infertile Fish for Aquaculture and the Pet Industry," $44,233. The innovation could improve production of large aquaculture operations by preventing the release of farmed fish into the environment and the spread of invasive species. The funding will focus on how well the innovation can be applied to large-scale commercial hatchery operations.
* Edward J. Delp, professor in the Purdue School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Carol Boushey, University of Hawaii Cancer Center, "TADA Commercialization," $32,944. The product could help individuals collect nutritional consumption data through the mobile phone tool "Technology Assisted Dietary Assessment" or TADA. The innovation enables users to take photos of food and receive estimates of the nutrient content through their mobile phone.
* Alyssa Panitch, associate head and professor in the School of Biomedical Engineering, "Development of Proteoglycans for Treatment of Osteoarthritis," $45,203. The project is designed to suppress arthritic cartilage loss as a treatment for osteoarthritis.
* Y. Charlie Hu, professor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, "Critical Prototype Development of Eprof: Fine-Grained Smartphone," $50,000. The innovation could enable the development of energy-efficient apps for energy-constrained mobile devices such as smartphones.
* Jenna L. Rickus, associate professor in the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, "In Vivo Assessment of Biosilica Coated Cells," $50,000. The innovation could improve therapies for diseases such as Type 1 diabetes by improving the outcomes of islet transplantation and providing new methods for testing drug therapies for use by the pharmaceutical industry.
* Kevin P. Trumble, professor in the School of Materials Engineering; Srinivasan Chandrasekar, professor, School of Industrial Engineering; and Mert Efe, post-doctoral fellow, School of Materials Engineering. "Scale-up of LSEM: A Low-cost and Energy-efficient Manufacturing Process for Metal Sheets and Strips," $37,950. Large Strain Extrusion Machining (LSEM) is a patented manufacturing process capable of producing metal strips of industry standard thicknesses and lengths in a single step that reduces initial capital investments by up to 60 percent and reduces production costs by 20 percent over current technologies. The project will develop a prototype of the innovation and collect commercially relevant data.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,033
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,010
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,562
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 989
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 26, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 942
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,192
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,759
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,163
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 26, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,020
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 26, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,325
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 26, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,090
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 26, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,469
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,064
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,764
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,119