|By Marketwired .||
|January 30, 2013 11:48 AM EST||
PHOENIX, AZ -- (Marketwire) -- 01/30/13 -- Sports provide a microcosm of life and the biases that inevitably enter into our daily routines and decision making process. Perhaps no sport defines this reality more than golf.
Much like financial markets and planning, golf is a sport that places a premium on risk and reward decisions amongst a backdrop of ever changing conditions and outlooks. The professional golfer enters each round with a strategy for navigating through the course. This plan must be tweaked and altered as their position on the course and the leaderboard changes.
Brent Schutte, Market Strategist for BMO Private Bank, offers these lessons from the world of golf to help you develop your personal financial strategy.
1) Develop a game plan -- This outline or document will provide the roadmap for your financial affairs. This plan needs to be flexible and will evolve as the years pass. Your life and market conditions will change and your plan should also. Importantly, your reference point benchmark should not be your neighbor's portfolio but rather performance relative to your goals, objectives and risk tolerance.
2) Pay attention to your scorecard (investment portfolio) -- If your portfolio is properly diversified, there is a high likelihood that at any given point some of your investments may not be keeping pace with others. Don't segregate these individual birdies (gains) and bogeys (losses) but rather focus on the aggregate scorecard (portfolio). Stay focused on the long term. In the financial world, avoiding double and triple bogeys at the overall portfolio level has its benefits. The math dictates that it is more harmful to have a 20 percent loss than 20 percent gain. Remember, a 20 percent loss requires a 25 percent gain to get back to even.
3) Accurately measure risks and the downside of a "bad swing" -- While the 16th hole at the TPC in Scottsdale has become famous, the 17th hole offers a better lesson for investors. On the tee, golfers are faced with a decision to take a seemingly riskier route and "go for" a green or lay up short of the green and attempt to hit the green with an easier second shot. Interestingly, the average score for those who took the "risky path" and went for it at last year's Phoenix Open was 3.5, versus 4.0 for those who chose to lay up and made the "safe decision." Much like the golfer standing on the tee, don't be afraid to take calculated and appropriately sized risks if you have weighed the potential costs of the downside.
4) Keep your eye on the prize and don't let emotions change your plans -- While financial plans need to be tweaked, emotions should not be the guiding force. Prospect Theory shows that in the realm of a negative domain, individuals will engage in behavior (gambles) that they otherwise would not accept. As an investor, if you have sat out most of the recent market gains following the financial collapse early this decade, don't attempt to "get it all back" by taking unreasonable risks. If you are only now looking to re-enter financial markets, consider a dollar cost averaging program over a few months.
5) Consider hiring a coach (financial advisor) -- Like a golfer looking for guidance and help through a caddie, consider hiring a financial advisor to help guide you through the ever evolving market, tax and legal environment.
For a complete copy of the report, visit: Current Market Update
About BMO Private Bank, a part of BMO Financial Group
BMO Private Bank offers a comprehensive range of wealth management services that include investment advisory, trust, banking and financial planning to meet the financial needs of high net worth clients. Through integrated teams of experienced financial professionals, BMO Private Bank helps its clients realize their financial and lifestyle goals with solutions that are custom tailored and delivered with the highest level of personalized service.
BMO Private Bank is a brand name used in the United States by BMO Harris Bank N.A. Member FDIC. Not all products and services are available in every state and/or location.
BMO and BMO Financial Group are trade names used by Bank of Montreal.
Join IBM November 2 at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, and learn how to go beyond multi-speed it to bring agility to traditional enterprise applications. Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls ...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,944
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,963
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:15 AM EDT
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,964
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 25, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 113
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 873
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 25, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 743
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 128
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,549
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 488
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 8,787
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,809
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,005
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 864
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 25, 2017 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,846