|By Marketwired .||
|February 6, 2013 02:00 AM EST||
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 02/06/13 -- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, has announced it will be offering free WiFi for rail passengers across 30 of its stations including major hubs such as Nottingham, Sheffield, Derby and Leicester.
The deal with WiFi provider The Cloud will let customers access the internet via a dedicated, branded landing page where they will log-in and be able to browse the web, use social networks like Facebook and Twitter, and ultimately improve their travel experience. The service will be launched in 2013.
Recent research highlights the continued growth of mobile phones, with 85% of people using the internet on the go.(i) East Midlands Trains is adapting to this by ensuring its customers' mobile needs are catered for. WiFi users will be directed to The Cloud Content Portal that includes a unique combination of the latest Sky News, Sky Sports News and live travel updates as well as access to the broader internet. The content portal also carries advertising space, giving brands a unique opportunity for location-based video advertising targeting commuters and other visitors during specific times of the day.
Vince Russell, MD at The Cloud, explains: "Rail stations are no longer just thoroughfares. With shops, cafes, bars and restaurants located at various stations now, East Midlands Trains customers are spending longer at each location and it's vital they have the best possible mobile data service while they're there.
"More and more people own devices such as tablets and they want to be able to use them without having to worry about network congestion, patchy coverage or exceeding their data limits, which is where our WiFi service comes in. It provides passengers with fast, reliable, free internet access allied with unique engaging content."
East Midlands Trains provides fast and frequent trains from major cities and towns in South Yorkshire, the East Midlands and Northamptonshire and instant access to travel information is vital to its customers.
Neil Micklethwaite, Customer Service & Commercial Director at East Midlands Trains, said: "We already offer WiFi on our trains and in our first class lounges at stations. Now with The Cloud in place we will complete the WiFi package by adding all other areas to the mix, from platforms to retail and food & beverage venues. The Content Portal will be a particularly useful tool for customers as it provides a one-stop-shop of information, including London Underground travel updates - something that should be especially beneficial to those commuting in and out of the capital.
"This deal is all part of our GBP 10 million investment project which aims to improve the customer experience at all of our stations. Adapting to the mobile boom by providing free WiFi to our customers is a key element of this."
An estimated five million people every day pass through The Cloud network by visiting one of its partners, including major outlets like PizzaExpress, Caffe Nero, WH Smith, Eat, Greggs, Pret A Manger and Wagamama.
(i) Research from Our Mobile Planet, May 2012
Notes to Editors
For media enquiries, please contact East Midlands Trains on 01738 442111. Out of office hours: An on-call service operates for urgent media enquiries out of hours. To access this service, please call 08448 222888 and quote MEDIA1. Please leave a short message, including your name, media organisation, phone number and the nature of your enquiry. The on call press officer will then return your call.
East Midlands Trains
- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, runs fast, frequent trains from and to London St Pancras International and key UK destinations throughout the East Midlands, including Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
- East Midlands Trains is currently investing over GBP 40 million to improve stations across its network and every single passenger train within its fleet.
- East Midlands Trains is committed to offering great value fares. Use the Best Fare Finder to search for cheap train tickets and book cheap train tickets to London and on more than 400 routes across the UK.
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of UK's biggest bus and coach operators with around 7,800 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group's business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com links around 100 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.
About The Cloud
- The Cloud (www.thecloud.net) builds and operates Wi-Fi networks across the UK and Europe to provide the mobile media experience that consumers want. The service delivers simple, fast, reliable and cost effective broadband to millions of Wi-Fi enabled smartphones, laptops and entertainment devices. The Cloud has exclusive commercial partnerships with retail, leisure, hotels, sports, transport, and entertainment and content partners to deliver its longer-term vision of a connected society.
- The Cloud has over five million registered users connecting for over 100 million minutes a week at over 14,000 live locations such as the Emirates Stadium, Silverstone Race Track, the City of London, Wetherspoons, PizzaExpress, Caffe Nero, Eat, pubs, leisure facilities, restaurants and mainline stations.
- Approximately five million people pass through The Cloud network everyday by visiting one of its partners, including major outlets such as PizzaExpress, WH Smith, Greggs, Pret A Manger and Wagamama, as well as First Great Western and Network Rail stations.
- The Cloud is a BSkyB Company.
For media enquiries, please contact
East Midlands Trains
East Midlands Trains
1 Prospect Place, Millennium Way
Pride Park, Derby DE24 8HG
For media queries about The Cloud, please contact
020 7861 2844
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Feb. 21, 2017 12:30 AM EST Reads: 698
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 21, 2017 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,019
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 6,191
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 3,320
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 5,912
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 20, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 902
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Feb. 20, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 4,504
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Feb. 20, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,330
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Feb. 20, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,509
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 20, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 8,230
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 20, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,000
Wooed by the promise of faster innovation, lower TCO, and greater agility, businesses of every shape and size have embraced the cloud at every layer of the IT stack – from apps to file sharing to infrastructure. The typical organization currently uses more than a dozen sanctioned cloud apps and will shift more than half of all workloads to the cloud by 2018. Such cloud investments have delivered measurable benefits. But they’ve also resulted in some unintended side-effects: complexity and risk. ...
Feb. 20, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 837
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 546
When you focus on a journey from up-close, you look at your own technical and cultural history and how you changed it for the benefit of the customer. This was our starting point: too many integration issues, 13 SWP days and very long cycles. It was evident that in this fast-paced industry we could no longer afford this reality. We needed something that would take us beyond reducing the development lifecycles, CI and Agile methodologies. We made a fundamental difference, even changed our culture...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 2,285
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 3,917