|By Marketwired .||
|February 6, 2013 02:00 AM EST||
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 02/06/13 -- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, has announced it will be offering free WiFi for rail passengers across 30 of its stations including major hubs such as Nottingham, Sheffield, Derby and Leicester.
The deal with WiFi provider The Cloud will let customers access the internet via a dedicated, branded landing page where they will log-in and be able to browse the web, use social networks like Facebook and Twitter, and ultimately improve their travel experience. The service will be launched in 2013.
Recent research highlights the continued growth of mobile phones, with 85% of people using the internet on the go.(i) East Midlands Trains is adapting to this by ensuring its customers' mobile needs are catered for. WiFi users will be directed to The Cloud Content Portal that includes a unique combination of the latest Sky News, Sky Sports News and live travel updates as well as access to the broader internet. The content portal also carries advertising space, giving brands a unique opportunity for location-based video advertising targeting commuters and other visitors during specific times of the day.
Vince Russell, MD at The Cloud, explains: "Rail stations are no longer just thoroughfares. With shops, cafes, bars and restaurants located at various stations now, East Midlands Trains customers are spending longer at each location and it's vital they have the best possible mobile data service while they're there.
"More and more people own devices such as tablets and they want to be able to use them without having to worry about network congestion, patchy coverage or exceeding their data limits, which is where our WiFi service comes in. It provides passengers with fast, reliable, free internet access allied with unique engaging content."
East Midlands Trains provides fast and frequent trains from major cities and towns in South Yorkshire, the East Midlands and Northamptonshire and instant access to travel information is vital to its customers.
Neil Micklethwaite, Customer Service & Commercial Director at East Midlands Trains, said: "We already offer WiFi on our trains and in our first class lounges at stations. Now with The Cloud in place we will complete the WiFi package by adding all other areas to the mix, from platforms to retail and food & beverage venues. The Content Portal will be a particularly useful tool for customers as it provides a one-stop-shop of information, including London Underground travel updates - something that should be especially beneficial to those commuting in and out of the capital.
"This deal is all part of our GBP 10 million investment project which aims to improve the customer experience at all of our stations. Adapting to the mobile boom by providing free WiFi to our customers is a key element of this."
An estimated five million people every day pass through The Cloud network by visiting one of its partners, including major outlets like PizzaExpress, Caffe Nero, WH Smith, Eat, Greggs, Pret A Manger and Wagamama.
(i) Research from Our Mobile Planet, May 2012
Notes to Editors
For media enquiries, please contact East Midlands Trains on 01738 442111. Out of office hours: An on-call service operates for urgent media enquiries out of hours. To access this service, please call 08448 222888 and quote MEDIA1. Please leave a short message, including your name, media organisation, phone number and the nature of your enquiry. The on call press officer will then return your call.
East Midlands Trains
- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, runs fast, frequent trains from and to London St Pancras International and key UK destinations throughout the East Midlands, including Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
- East Midlands Trains is currently investing over GBP 40 million to improve stations across its network and every single passenger train within its fleet.
- East Midlands Trains is committed to offering great value fares. Use the Best Fare Finder to search for cheap train tickets and book cheap train tickets to London and on more than 400 routes across the UK.
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of UK's biggest bus and coach operators with around 7,800 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group's business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com links around 100 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.
About The Cloud
- The Cloud (www.thecloud.net) builds and operates Wi-Fi networks across the UK and Europe to provide the mobile media experience that consumers want. The service delivers simple, fast, reliable and cost effective broadband to millions of Wi-Fi enabled smartphones, laptops and entertainment devices. The Cloud has exclusive commercial partnerships with retail, leisure, hotels, sports, transport, and entertainment and content partners to deliver its longer-term vision of a connected society.
- The Cloud has over five million registered users connecting for over 100 million minutes a week at over 14,000 live locations such as the Emirates Stadium, Silverstone Race Track, the City of London, Wetherspoons, PizzaExpress, Caffe Nero, Eat, pubs, leisure facilities, restaurants and mainline stations.
- Approximately five million people pass through The Cloud network everyday by visiting one of its partners, including major outlets such as PizzaExpress, WH Smith, Greggs, Pret A Manger and Wagamama, as well as First Great Western and Network Rail stations.
- The Cloud is a BSkyB Company.
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Jul. 6, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,795
Live Webinar with 451 Research Analyst Peter Christy. Join us on Wednesday July 22, 2015, at 10 am PT / 1 pm ET In a world where users are on the Internet and the applications are in the cloud, how do you maintain your historic SLA with your users? Peter Christy, Research Director, Networks at 451 Research, will discuss this new network paradigm, one in which there is no LAN and no WAN, and discuss what users and network administrators gain and give up when migrating to the agile world of clo...
Jul. 6, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,536
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Jul. 6, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 985
Containers are revolutionizing the way we deploy and maintain our infrastructures, but monitoring and troubleshooting in a containerized environment can still be painful and impractical. Understanding even basic resource usage is difficult – let alone tracking network connections or malicious activity. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gianluca Borello, Sr. Software Engineer at Sysdig, will cover the current state of the art for container monitoring and visibility, including pros / cons and liv...
Jul. 6, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,923
SYS-CON Media announced today that CloudBees, the Jenkins Enterprise company, has launched ad campaigns on SYS-CON's DevOps Journal. CloudBees' campaigns focus on the business value of Continuous Delivery and how it has been recognized as a game changer for IT and is now a top priority for organizations, and the best ways to optimize Jenkins to ensure your continuous integration environment is optimally configured.
Jul. 6, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,030
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,904
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,133
"In the IoT space we are helping customers, mostly enterprises and industry verticals where time-to-value is critical, and we help them with the ability to do faster insights and actions using our platform so they can transform their business operations," explained Venkat Eswara, VP of Marketing at Vitria, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 559
The most often asked question post-DevOps introduction is: “How do I get started?” There’s plenty of information on why DevOps is valid and important, but many managers still struggle with simple basics for how to initiate a DevOps program in their business. They struggle with issues related to current organizational inertia, the lack of experience on Continuous Integration/Delivery, understanding where DevOps will affect revenue and budget, etc. In their session at DevOps Summit, JP Morgenthal...
Jul. 6, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,535
"We provide a web application framework for building really sophisticated web applications that run on a browser without any installation need so we get used for biotech, defense, and banking applications," noted Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit (http://DevOpsSummit.SYS-CON.com), held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York
Jul. 6, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,741
In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Simone Brunozzi, VP and Chief Technologist of Cloud Services at VMware, reviewed the changes that the cloud computing industry has gone through over the last five years and shared insights into what the next five will bring. He also chronicled the challenges enterprise companies are facing as they move to the public cloud. He delved into the "Hybrid Cloud" space and explained why every CIO should consider ‘hybrid cloud' as part of their future strategy to achie...
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,783
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,029
"The idea of polyglot persistence is you have to apply the right database for the job - you always have to have many different databases in play. We offer that whole system as a service," explained Raj Singh, Developer Advocate for IBM Cloud Data Services, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 824
SYS-CON Events announced today that WHOA.com, an ISO 27001 Certified secure cloud computing company, participated as “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which took place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WHOA.com is a leader in next-generation, ISO 27001 Certified secure cloud solutions. WHOA.com offers a comprehensive portfolio of best-in-class cloud services for business including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Secure Cloud Desk...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 984