|By Marketwired .||
|February 6, 2013 02:00 AM EST||
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 02/06/13 -- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, has announced it will be offering free WiFi for rail passengers across 30 of its stations including major hubs such as Nottingham, Sheffield, Derby and Leicester.
The deal with WiFi provider The Cloud will let customers access the internet via a dedicated, branded landing page where they will log-in and be able to browse the web, use social networks like Facebook and Twitter, and ultimately improve their travel experience. The service will be launched in 2013.
Recent research highlights the continued growth of mobile phones, with 85% of people using the internet on the go.(i) East Midlands Trains is adapting to this by ensuring its customers' mobile needs are catered for. WiFi users will be directed to The Cloud Content Portal that includes a unique combination of the latest Sky News, Sky Sports News and live travel updates as well as access to the broader internet. The content portal also carries advertising space, giving brands a unique opportunity for location-based video advertising targeting commuters and other visitors during specific times of the day.
Vince Russell, MD at The Cloud, explains: "Rail stations are no longer just thoroughfares. With shops, cafes, bars and restaurants located at various stations now, East Midlands Trains customers are spending longer at each location and it's vital they have the best possible mobile data service while they're there.
"More and more people own devices such as tablets and they want to be able to use them without having to worry about network congestion, patchy coverage or exceeding their data limits, which is where our WiFi service comes in. It provides passengers with fast, reliable, free internet access allied with unique engaging content."
East Midlands Trains provides fast and frequent trains from major cities and towns in South Yorkshire, the East Midlands and Northamptonshire and instant access to travel information is vital to its customers.
Neil Micklethwaite, Customer Service & Commercial Director at East Midlands Trains, said: "We already offer WiFi on our trains and in our first class lounges at stations. Now with The Cloud in place we will complete the WiFi package by adding all other areas to the mix, from platforms to retail and food & beverage venues. The Content Portal will be a particularly useful tool for customers as it provides a one-stop-shop of information, including London Underground travel updates - something that should be especially beneficial to those commuting in and out of the capital.
"This deal is all part of our GBP 10 million investment project which aims to improve the customer experience at all of our stations. Adapting to the mobile boom by providing free WiFi to our customers is a key element of this."
An estimated five million people every day pass through The Cloud network by visiting one of its partners, including major outlets like PizzaExpress, Caffe Nero, WH Smith, Eat, Greggs, Pret A Manger and Wagamama.
(i) Research from Our Mobile Planet, May 2012
Notes to Editors
For media enquiries, please contact East Midlands Trains on 01738 442111. Out of office hours: An on-call service operates for urgent media enquiries out of hours. To access this service, please call 08448 222888 and quote MEDIA1. Please leave a short message, including your name, media organisation, phone number and the nature of your enquiry. The on call press officer will then return your call.
East Midlands Trains
- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, runs fast, frequent trains from and to London St Pancras International and key UK destinations throughout the East Midlands, including Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
- East Midlands Trains is currently investing over GBP 40 million to improve stations across its network and every single passenger train within its fleet.
- East Midlands Trains is committed to offering great value fares. Use the Best Fare Finder to search for cheap train tickets and book cheap train tickets to London and on more than 400 routes across the UK.
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of UK's biggest bus and coach operators with around 7,800 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group's business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com links around 100 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.
About The Cloud
- The Cloud (www.thecloud.net) builds and operates Wi-Fi networks across the UK and Europe to provide the mobile media experience that consumers want. The service delivers simple, fast, reliable and cost effective broadband to millions of Wi-Fi enabled smartphones, laptops and entertainment devices. The Cloud has exclusive commercial partnerships with retail, leisure, hotels, sports, transport, and entertainment and content partners to deliver its longer-term vision of a connected society.
- The Cloud has over five million registered users connecting for over 100 million minutes a week at over 14,000 live locations such as the Emirates Stadium, Silverstone Race Track, the City of London, Wetherspoons, PizzaExpress, Caffe Nero, Eat, pubs, leisure facilities, restaurants and mainline stations.
- Approximately five million people pass through The Cloud network everyday by visiting one of its partners, including major outlets such as PizzaExpress, WH Smith, Greggs, Pret A Manger and Wagamama, as well as First Great Western and Network Rail stations.
- The Cloud is a BSkyB Company.
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,614
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,326
Digitization is driving a fundamental change in society that is transforming the way businesses work with their customers, their supply chains and their people. Digital transformation leverages DevOps best practices, such as Agile Parallel Development, Continuous Delivery and Agile Operations to capitalize on opportunities and create competitive differentiation in the application economy. However, information security has been notably absent from the DevOps movement. Speed doesn’t have to negat...
Sep. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,066
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 26, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,016
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,816
Your business relies on your applications and your employees to stay in business. Whether you develop apps or manage business critical apps that help fuel your business, what happens when users experience sluggish performance? You and all technical teams across the organization – application, network, operations, among others, as well as, those outside the organization, like ISPs and third-party providers – are called in to solve the problem.
Sep. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,507
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 26, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,896
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 26, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,554
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,549
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,603
Much of the value of DevOps comes from a (renewed) focus on measurement, sharing, and continuous feedback loops. In increasingly complex DevOps workflows and environments, and especially in larger, regulated, or more crystallized organizations, these core concepts become even more critical. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Andi Mann, Chief Technology Advocate at Splunk, showed how, by focusing on 'metrics that matter,' you can provide objective, transparent, and meaningful f...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,539
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,097
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,716
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,570
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,168