|By Business Wire||
|February 8, 2013 12:50 PM EST||
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/45cl3d/smartphone) has announced the addition of the "Smartphone Markets: Worldwide Trends, Forecasts and Strategies 2012-2017" report to their offering.
Affordability is vital in the effort to encourage non-smartphone owners to adopt smartphones.
The smartphone industry is set to change in 2013. Emerging Asia-Pacific will receive more smartphone shipments than Europe and North America combined in 2012. The smartphone market is changing from an elitist high-end device pool to a segmented mass-market ocean of handsets.
This report provides:
- The following forecasts for smartphones:
- Profiles of the regional smartphone markets
- Detailed analyst views on Android, iOS, Windows Phone and other OSs
- Analysis of the average selling price of smartphones, and ARPU
- Details of the cost of owning an iPhone 5 by operator
- Smartphone retailing and pricing recommendations for operators
- An impact assessment of smartphone app usage on operators and device vendors.
- Total handsets
- Handset connections by technology
- Shipments by operating system
- Worldwide smartphone forecasts and OS shares: Demand-based shipment and active devices forecasts
- The smartphone share of active handset SIMs will grow to just under 50% by 2017 - 1.4 billion new smartphones will enter the market in that year
- Active smartphone SIMs are a better indication of the addressable smartphone user base for service providers than shipments
- 75% of smartphone shipments will be upgrades in 2017
- 62% of smartphones will use 4G networks in developed markets by the end of 2017
- Emerging Asia-Pacific will drive more than a third of smartphone demand by 2017
- Central and Eastern Europe will catch up with Western Europe in terms of penetration rates, during the forecast period
- Smartphone adoption will plateau in North America from 2017 onwards, with penetration flattening out at around 85%
- China will have over 200 million active smartphones by the end of 2012, despite low disposable income, no subsidies and limited 3G coverage
- Microsoft will ship almost as many Windows Phone units in 2017 as Apple will ship iPhones in 2012
- Chinese manufacturers will capture most of the growth from lower-end customers during 2012-2017, taking market share from other players
- Samsung will be the leading Android smartphone vendor throughout the forecast period, but only by a small margin
- Despite significant success, Android brings a level of fragmentation to the market, adding complexity to app development
- Windows Phone will be the fastest-growing OS in terms of shipments in the next 5 years
- Microsoft's Surface device range threatens Windows Phone partnerships
- Worldwide smartphone forecasts and OS shares: Smartphone commoditisation
- The average selling price of a smartphone declined by EUR300 from 2007 to 2011, which is threatening device profitability
- Android is the primary driver of smartphone commoditisation, as a growing number of vendors adopt the OS
- The response from competing OSs has been weak: Nokia's strategy is to push Symbian via low-end devices with content bundles
- Operator opportunities and challenges in the smartphone market: Lowering smartphone ownership costs: handset subsidies and financing plans
- Subsidies and creative tariff strategies are essential for driving high-end smartphone adoption and mobile data usage
- Variations in subsidies and packages mean the minimum cost of an iPhone 5 16GB varies between EUR700 (3HK) and EUR1840 (T-Mobile USA)
- Operator opportunities and challenges in the smartphone market: Monetising smartphone users: mobile data pricing and 4G
- The greatest monetisation potential for operators in their smartphone user base is mobile data access
- Smartphones are great drivers of data consumption but the price per gigabyte is set to decrease threatening smartphone user monetisation
- If operators are to maximise smartphone monetisation, 4G adoption is paramount, but the value proposition is not always clear to consumers
- Operator opportunities and challenges in the smartphone market: Managing device and OS ecosystems
- Unlike other handsets, vendors and operators must provide smartphones with OS upgrades, which may have significant cost implications
- If a third OS gains enough traction to compete with Android and iOS, it can create opportunities for operators to support transitioning subscribers
- However, multi-device ecosystems will limit the number of transitions from one OS to another in the high-end customer segment
- Alcatel Mobile Phones
- Research In Motion (RIM)
- Sony Mobile Communications
- Verizon Wireless
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/45cl3d/smartphone
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 24, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,567
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,014
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,814
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,768
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 23, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,202
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 23, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,477
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 23, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,637
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Aug. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,960
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Aug. 23, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,735
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Aug. 23, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,384
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 23, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,622
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 23, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,224
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 23, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,787
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 23, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 281
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 23, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,882