|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2013 02:01 AM EST||
CRAWLEY, UK, March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Insulin degludec is indicated for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in adults.
Novo Nordisk UK has announced that insulin degludec (brand name Tresiba®), a new once-daily basal insulin for adult patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, is available in the UK as a new treatment option.
Insulin degludec effectively reduces blood glucose levels in patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes, while significantly reducing the risk of night-time hypoglycaemia, compared with the most commonly prescribed basal insulin in the UK:
- 25% reduction in night-time hypoglycaemia for patients with type 1 diabetes [4.41 vs 5.86 episodes per patient year of exposure (PYE); p=0.02]
- 36% reduction in night-time hypoglycaemia for insulin naïve patients with type 2 diabetes [0.25 vs 0.39 episodes per PYE; p<0.04]
- There was no significant difference in the rate of confirmed overall hypoglycaemic episodes for insulin degludec versus insulin glargine in patients with type 1 diabetes (42.54 vs 40.18 episodes per patient year of exposure p=0.48) or for insulin naïve patients with type 2 diabetes (1.52 vs 1.85 per patient year of exposure; p=0.11)
Insulin degludec is a once-daily basal insulin which can be administered at any time of the day, however preferably at the same time every day. It is the first insulin to offer people with diabetes the flexibility in the timing of insulin administration on occasions when administration at the same time of day is not possible. A minimum of eight hours between injections should always be ensured,.
"Many of my patients tell me when I see them in clinic that they have difficulty taking their insulin at exactly the same time each day. This is often for reasons which we can all sympathise with and understand. For example picking children up from school or working irregular shifts at work. It is thus very useful that there is now an insulin which, because of its longer duration of action, is able to offer patients a bit more flexibility in terms of timing of their dose without compromising either their glycaemic control or risk of hypoglycaemia", commented Professor Melanie J Davies, Professor of Diabetes Medicine, University of Leicester and Honorary Consultant, University Hospitals of Leicester.
Hypoglycaemic episodes are one of the most common side effects of insulin treatment, and although insulin degludec significantly reduces night-time hypoglycaemia, hypoglycaemia is still the most frequent side effect. However, of particular concern is the risk of night-time hypoglycaemia; often when the patient is sleeping and therefore less aware of the onset of symptoms.
While reduced risk of hypoglycaemia has obvious benefits for the person with diabetes, it is also important for society in general. The economic impact of hypoglycaemia in the UK is particularly significant. In 2010/11, the estimated UK cost for severe hypoglycaemia was £30.4 million and for moderate hypoglycaemia £41.8 million. Each severe hypoglycaemic episode involving hospitalisation, costs the NHS an estimated £2,153 per person,. Almost 50% of severe hypoglycaemic episodes occur at night and the most severe night-time episodes can be fatal if left untreated. Severe episodes are estimated to be responsible for 6% of deaths in people with diabetes under the age of 40,.
Insulin degludec is available in two FlexTouch® pens: FlexTouch® U100, which is suitable for doses from 1 to 80 units per injection and dials in one unit increments, and FlexTouch® U200, which allows up to 160 units of insulin in one injection and dials in two unit increments. The U200 is the first prefilled pen that allows patients who need more than 80 units of basal insulin each day to inject only once.
"Novo Nordisk has a long heritage in changing the diabetes landscape with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. Our focus is in developing treatments that address key challenges faced by patients and clinicians," said Peter Meeus, UK/IRE Managing Director, Novo Nordisk.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
About Tresiba® (insulin degludec)
Insulin degludec is a new once-daily basal insulin for adults with diabetes, discovered and developed by Novo Nordisk. Insulin degludec reduces blood glucose levels with a lower risk of night-time hypoglycaemia compared to insulin glargine. Furthermore, insulin degludec provides a duration of action beyond 42 hours, allowing for flexibility in day-to-day dosing time when needed (minimum of 8 hours between injections). Insulin degludec is available in FlexTouch®, Novo Nordisk's latest prefilled insulin pen, and is offered in two concentrations enabling maximum doses of up to 80 and 160 units per single injection. Insulin degludec is also available in a cartridge (Tresiba® Penfill®), designed to be used with Novo Nordisk insulin delivery systems.
Insulin degludec was approved for use in type 1 and type 2 diabetes on 21 January 2013 by the European Commission.
Indication: Insulin degludec is indicated for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in adults.
Safety: The most frequent side effects are hypoglycaemia and injection site reactions. Hypoglycaemia is the most frequently reported adverse reaction during treatment (very common, ≥1/10). Injection site reactions are usually mild and transitory and normally disappear during continued use (common, ≥1/100 to <1/10). Insulin degludec has been studied in a clinical trial programme involving more than 7,000 people with diabetes.
See the Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) for further information.
Diabetes (or diabetes mellitus) is a serious and challenging health condition that develops when there is too much sugar in the blood due to the body being unable to produce or respond to the hormone, insulin, in the normal way. Every three minutes, one person in the UK is diagnosed with diabetes, and approximately 2.9 million people have already been diagnosed with diabetes in the UK. This figure is projected to rise to 5 million by 2025.
Hypoglycaemia is an episode of low blood sugar which may lead to accidents, injuries and even death in severe cases,. It is estimated that 6% of diabetes-related deaths are linked to severe hypoglycaemic episodes. Despite advances in insulin therapy, the risk of hypoglycaemia remains a serious problem. Severe hypoglycaemic episodes (where assistance from another person is required and may result in hospitalisation) can lead to seizures, coma and even death if left untreated. Even non-severe hypoglycaemic episodes have a large impact on daily life for many people with diabetes, including lost productivity at work. People with type 1 diabetes suffer, on average, over three episodes per month (42.9 episodes per year). People with type 2 diabetes suffer, on average, over one episode per month (16.4 episodes per year). These episodes cause many people with diabetes and their relatives to live with the fear of the next episode every day.
About Novo Nordisk
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global healthcare company with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. The company also has leading positions within haemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. For more information, visit novonordisk.co.uk.
® Tresiba®, FlexTouch®, Penfill® and the APIS bull are trademarks owned by Novo Nordisk A/S.
- Tresiba® summary of product characteristics 2013.
- Zinman B et al., Insulin Degludec Versus Insulin Glargine in Insulin-Naive Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: A 1-year, randomized, treat-to-target trial (BEGIN Once Long) Diabetes Care. 2012;35(12):2464-71.
- Heller S et al., Insulin degludec, an ultra-long acting basal insulin, versus insulin glargine in basal-bolus treatment with mealtime insulin aspart in type 1 diabetes (BEGIN Basal-Bolus Type 1): a phase 3 randomised, open-label, treat-to-target non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2012;379:1489-1497.
- Ratner RE et al., Prospectively planned meta-analysis comparing hypoglycemia rates of insulin degludec with those of insulin glargine. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2013;15(2):175-184.
- Meneghini L et al., The Efficacy and Safety of Insulin Degludec Given in Variable Once-Daily Dosing Intervals Compared With Insulin Glargine and Insulin Degludec Dosed at the Same Time Daily: A 26-week, randomized, open-label, parallel-group, treat-to-target trial in people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013 [epub ahead of print] dow: 10.2337/dc12-1668.
- Leiter LA et al., Assessment of the Impact of Fear of Hypoglycemic Episodes on Glycemic and Hypoglycemia Management. Can J Diabetes. 2005;29:186-92.
- Allen KV et al., BM. Nocturnal hypoglycemia: clinical manifestations and therapeutic strategies toward prevention. Endocr Pract. 2003;9(6):530-43.
- Hex N et al., Estimating the current and future costs of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in the UK, including direct health costs and indirect societal and productivity costs. Diabet Med. 2012;29(7):855-62.
- ISD Scotland. Available at URL: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Finance/Publications/2011-11-29/Costs_R910_2011.xls Last accessed: February 2013.
- Department of Health. Payment by results tariffs. Available at URL: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_124356 Last accessed: February 2013.
- Sovik O et al., Dead-in-bed syndrome in young diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 1999;22(S2):B40-2.
- Novo Nordisk data on file. DOF-IDeg-130712-005.
- NHS Choices. Diabetes introduction. Available at URL: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes/Pages/Introduction.aspx Last accessed: February 2013.
- Diabetes UK. State of the Nation 2012. Available at URL: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Reports/State-of-the-Nation-2012.pdf Last accessed: February 2013.
- Cefalu CA et al., Controlling hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes: which agent for which patient? J Fam Pract. 2005;54:855-62.
- American Diabetes Association Working Group on Hypoglycemia. Defining and reporting hypoglycemia in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:1245-9.
- Bonds DE et al., The association between symptomatic, severe hypoglycaemia and mortality in type 2 diabetes: retrospective epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD study. BMJ. 2010;340:B4909.
- Briscoe VJ et al., Hypoglycemia in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: physiology, pathophysiology and management. Clin Diabetes. 2006;24:115-21.
- Brod M et al., The impact of non-severe hypoglycemic events on work productivity and diabetes management. Value Health 2011;14:665-71.
- Donnelly LA et al., Frequency and Predictors of Hypoglycaemia in Type 1 and Insulin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes: A Population-Based Study. Diabet Med. 2005;22:749-55.
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Claude Remillard, Principal Program Manager in Developer Division at Microsoft, will contrast how his team used config as code and immutable patterns for continuous delivery of microservices and apps to the cloud. He will show the immutable patterns helps developers do away with most of the complexity of config as code-enabling scenarios such as rollback, zero downtime upgrades with far greater simplicity. He will also have live demos of building immutable pipe...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,653
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,503
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,261
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,202
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,054
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, you'll learn about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how Docke...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,669
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that ...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 350
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Oct. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,825
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,118
Governments around the world are adopting Safe Harbor privacy provisions to protect customer data from leaving sovereign territories. Increasingly, global companies are required to create new instances of their server clusters in multiple countries to keep abreast of these new Safe Harbor laws. Is it worth it? In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Adam Rogers, Managing Director of Anexia, Inc., will discuss how to keep your data legal and still stay in business.
Oct. 26, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,511
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 26, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,081
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 355
Successful transition from traditional IT to cloud computing requires three key ingredients: an IT architecture that allows companies to extend their internal best practices to the cloud, a cost point that allows economies of scale, and automated processes that manage risk exposure and maintain regulatory compliance with industry regulations (FFIEC, PCI-DSS, HIPAA, FISMA). The unique combination of VMware, the IBM Cloud, and Cloud Raxak, a 2016 Gartner Cool Vendor in IT Automation, provides a co...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,292
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,004
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,110