|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2013 02:01 AM EST||
CRAWLEY, UK, March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Insulin degludec is indicated for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in adults.
Novo Nordisk UK has announced that insulin degludec (brand name Tresiba®), a new once-daily basal insulin for adult patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, is available in the UK as a new treatment option.
Insulin degludec effectively reduces blood glucose levels in patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes, while significantly reducing the risk of night-time hypoglycaemia, compared with the most commonly prescribed basal insulin in the UK:
- 25% reduction in night-time hypoglycaemia for patients with type 1 diabetes [4.41 vs 5.86 episodes per patient year of exposure (PYE); p=0.02]
- 36% reduction in night-time hypoglycaemia for insulin naïve patients with type 2 diabetes [0.25 vs 0.39 episodes per PYE; p<0.04]
- There was no significant difference in the rate of confirmed overall hypoglycaemic episodes for insulin degludec versus insulin glargine in patients with type 1 diabetes (42.54 vs 40.18 episodes per patient year of exposure p=0.48) or for insulin naïve patients with type 2 diabetes (1.52 vs 1.85 per patient year of exposure; p=0.11)
Insulin degludec is a once-daily basal insulin which can be administered at any time of the day, however preferably at the same time every day. It is the first insulin to offer people with diabetes the flexibility in the timing of insulin administration on occasions when administration at the same time of day is not possible. A minimum of eight hours between injections should always be ensured,.
"Many of my patients tell me when I see them in clinic that they have difficulty taking their insulin at exactly the same time each day. This is often for reasons which we can all sympathise with and understand. For example picking children up from school or working irregular shifts at work. It is thus very useful that there is now an insulin which, because of its longer duration of action, is able to offer patients a bit more flexibility in terms of timing of their dose without compromising either their glycaemic control or risk of hypoglycaemia", commented Professor Melanie J Davies, Professor of Diabetes Medicine, University of Leicester and Honorary Consultant, University Hospitals of Leicester.
Hypoglycaemic episodes are one of the most common side effects of insulin treatment, and although insulin degludec significantly reduces night-time hypoglycaemia, hypoglycaemia is still the most frequent side effect. However, of particular concern is the risk of night-time hypoglycaemia; often when the patient is sleeping and therefore less aware of the onset of symptoms.
While reduced risk of hypoglycaemia has obvious benefits for the person with diabetes, it is also important for society in general. The economic impact of hypoglycaemia in the UK is particularly significant. In 2010/11, the estimated UK cost for severe hypoglycaemia was £30.4 million and for moderate hypoglycaemia £41.8 million. Each severe hypoglycaemic episode involving hospitalisation, costs the NHS an estimated £2,153 per person,. Almost 50% of severe hypoglycaemic episodes occur at night and the most severe night-time episodes can be fatal if left untreated. Severe episodes are estimated to be responsible for 6% of deaths in people with diabetes under the age of 40,.
Insulin degludec is available in two FlexTouch® pens: FlexTouch® U100, which is suitable for doses from 1 to 80 units per injection and dials in one unit increments, and FlexTouch® U200, which allows up to 160 units of insulin in one injection and dials in two unit increments. The U200 is the first prefilled pen that allows patients who need more than 80 units of basal insulin each day to inject only once.
"Novo Nordisk has a long heritage in changing the diabetes landscape with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. Our focus is in developing treatments that address key challenges faced by patients and clinicians," said Peter Meeus, UK/IRE Managing Director, Novo Nordisk.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
About Tresiba® (insulin degludec)
Insulin degludec is a new once-daily basal insulin for adults with diabetes, discovered and developed by Novo Nordisk. Insulin degludec reduces blood glucose levels with a lower risk of night-time hypoglycaemia compared to insulin glargine. Furthermore, insulin degludec provides a duration of action beyond 42 hours, allowing for flexibility in day-to-day dosing time when needed (minimum of 8 hours between injections). Insulin degludec is available in FlexTouch®, Novo Nordisk's latest prefilled insulin pen, and is offered in two concentrations enabling maximum doses of up to 80 and 160 units per single injection. Insulin degludec is also available in a cartridge (Tresiba® Penfill®), designed to be used with Novo Nordisk insulin delivery systems.
Insulin degludec was approved for use in type 1 and type 2 diabetes on 21 January 2013 by the European Commission.
Indication: Insulin degludec is indicated for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in adults.
Safety: The most frequent side effects are hypoglycaemia and injection site reactions. Hypoglycaemia is the most frequently reported adverse reaction during treatment (very common, ≥1/10). Injection site reactions are usually mild and transitory and normally disappear during continued use (common, ≥1/100 to <1/10). Insulin degludec has been studied in a clinical trial programme involving more than 7,000 people with diabetes.
See the Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) for further information.
Diabetes (or diabetes mellitus) is a serious and challenging health condition that develops when there is too much sugar in the blood due to the body being unable to produce or respond to the hormone, insulin, in the normal way. Every three minutes, one person in the UK is diagnosed with diabetes, and approximately 2.9 million people have already been diagnosed with diabetes in the UK. This figure is projected to rise to 5 million by 2025.
Hypoglycaemia is an episode of low blood sugar which may lead to accidents, injuries and even death in severe cases,. It is estimated that 6% of diabetes-related deaths are linked to severe hypoglycaemic episodes. Despite advances in insulin therapy, the risk of hypoglycaemia remains a serious problem. Severe hypoglycaemic episodes (where assistance from another person is required and may result in hospitalisation) can lead to seizures, coma and even death if left untreated. Even non-severe hypoglycaemic episodes have a large impact on daily life for many people with diabetes, including lost productivity at work. People with type 1 diabetes suffer, on average, over three episodes per month (42.9 episodes per year). People with type 2 diabetes suffer, on average, over one episode per month (16.4 episodes per year). These episodes cause many people with diabetes and their relatives to live with the fear of the next episode every day.
About Novo Nordisk
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global healthcare company with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. The company also has leading positions within haemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. For more information, visit novonordisk.co.uk.
® Tresiba®, FlexTouch®, Penfill® and the APIS bull are trademarks owned by Novo Nordisk A/S.
- Tresiba® summary of product characteristics 2013.
- Zinman B et al., Insulin Degludec Versus Insulin Glargine in Insulin-Naive Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: A 1-year, randomized, treat-to-target trial (BEGIN Once Long) Diabetes Care. 2012;35(12):2464-71.
- Heller S et al., Insulin degludec, an ultra-long acting basal insulin, versus insulin glargine in basal-bolus treatment with mealtime insulin aspart in type 1 diabetes (BEGIN Basal-Bolus Type 1): a phase 3 randomised, open-label, treat-to-target non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2012;379:1489-1497.
- Ratner RE et al., Prospectively planned meta-analysis comparing hypoglycemia rates of insulin degludec with those of insulin glargine. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2013;15(2):175-184.
- Meneghini L et al., The Efficacy and Safety of Insulin Degludec Given in Variable Once-Daily Dosing Intervals Compared With Insulin Glargine and Insulin Degludec Dosed at the Same Time Daily: A 26-week, randomized, open-label, parallel-group, treat-to-target trial in people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013 [epub ahead of print] dow: 10.2337/dc12-1668.
- Leiter LA et al., Assessment of the Impact of Fear of Hypoglycemic Episodes on Glycemic and Hypoglycemia Management. Can J Diabetes. 2005;29:186-92.
- Allen KV et al., BM. Nocturnal hypoglycemia: clinical manifestations and therapeutic strategies toward prevention. Endocr Pract. 2003;9(6):530-43.
- Hex N et al., Estimating the current and future costs of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in the UK, including direct health costs and indirect societal and productivity costs. Diabet Med. 2012;29(7):855-62.
- ISD Scotland. Available at URL: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Finance/Publications/2011-11-29/Costs_R910_2011.xls Last accessed: February 2013.
- Department of Health. Payment by results tariffs. Available at URL: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_124356 Last accessed: February 2013.
- Sovik O et al., Dead-in-bed syndrome in young diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 1999;22(S2):B40-2.
- Novo Nordisk data on file. DOF-IDeg-130712-005.
- NHS Choices. Diabetes introduction. Available at URL: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes/Pages/Introduction.aspx Last accessed: February 2013.
- Diabetes UK. State of the Nation 2012. Available at URL: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Reports/State-of-the-Nation-2012.pdf Last accessed: February 2013.
- Cefalu CA et al., Controlling hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes: which agent for which patient? J Fam Pract. 2005;54:855-62.
- American Diabetes Association Working Group on Hypoglycemia. Defining and reporting hypoglycemia in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:1245-9.
- Bonds DE et al., The association between symptomatic, severe hypoglycaemia and mortality in type 2 diabetes: retrospective epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD study. BMJ. 2010;340:B4909.
- Briscoe VJ et al., Hypoglycemia in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: physiology, pathophysiology and management. Clin Diabetes. 2006;24:115-21.
- Brod M et al., The impact of non-severe hypoglycemic events on work productivity and diabetes management. Value Health 2011;14:665-71.
- Donnelly LA et al., Frequency and Predictors of Hypoglycaemia in Type 1 and Insulin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes: A Population-Based Study. Diabet Med. 2005;22:749-55.
Palerra, the cloud security automation company, announced enhanced support for Amazon AWS, allowing IT security and DevOps teams to automate activity and configuration monitoring, anomaly detection, and orchestrated remediation, thereby meeting compliance mandates within complex infrastructure deployments. "Monitoring and threat detection for AWS is a non-trivial task. While Amazon's flexible environment facilitates successful DevOps implementations, it adds another layer, which can become a ...
Jul. 27, 2015 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 261
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, explained the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is rele...
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,310
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 963
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, S...
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,016
With SaaS use rampant across organizations, how can IT departments track company data and maintain security? More and more departments are commissioning their own solutions and bypassing IT. A cloud environment is amorphous and powerful, allowing you to set up solutions for all of your user needs: document sharing and collaboration, mobile access, e-mail, even industry-specific applications. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Shawn Mills, President and a founder of Green House Data, discussed h...
Jul. 27, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 173
Delphix, the market leader in Data as a Service (DaaS), has been announced winner of the DevOps Solution Award at the prestigious Computing Vendor Excellence Awards in London. The awards celebrate the achievements of the technology vendors and service providers that are leading the field of enterprise IT. Delphix was recognised as the vendor demonstrating the most effective support of DevOps culture for its ability to improve time to market and collaboration between teams.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 252
"Our biggest growth area has been the security services, the managed services - the things that differentiate us in the market that there is no client that's too small and there's no client that's too big," explained Paul Mazzucco, Chief Security Officer at TierPoint, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 302
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 328
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 514
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,328
Sysdig has announced two significant milestones in its mission to bring infrastructure and application monitoring to the world of containers and microservices: a $10.7 million Series A funding led by Accel and Bain Capital Ventures (BCV); and the general availability of Sysdig Cloud, the first monitoring, alerting, and troubleshooting platform specializing in container visibility, which is already used by more than 30 enterprise customers. The funding will be used to drive adoption of Sysdig Clo...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 399
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 426
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,220
"We do data integration for B2B also application to application, and we do data management and enable Big Data," explained Pat Adamiak, Vice President, Product Marketing at Liaison Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 296
"We specialize in testing. DevOps is all about continuous delivery and accelerating the delivery pipeline and there is no continuous delivery without testing," noted Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect at Spirent Communications, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 315