|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2013 02:01 AM EST||
CRAWLEY, UK, March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Insulin degludec is indicated for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in adults.
Novo Nordisk UK has announced that insulin degludec (brand name Tresiba®), a new once-daily basal insulin for adult patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, is available in the UK as a new treatment option.
Insulin degludec effectively reduces blood glucose levels in patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes, while significantly reducing the risk of night-time hypoglycaemia, compared with the most commonly prescribed basal insulin in the UK:
- 25% reduction in night-time hypoglycaemia for patients with type 1 diabetes [4.41 vs 5.86 episodes per patient year of exposure (PYE); p=0.02]
- 36% reduction in night-time hypoglycaemia for insulin naïve patients with type 2 diabetes [0.25 vs 0.39 episodes per PYE; p<0.04]
- There was no significant difference in the rate of confirmed overall hypoglycaemic episodes for insulin degludec versus insulin glargine in patients with type 1 diabetes (42.54 vs 40.18 episodes per patient year of exposure p=0.48) or for insulin naïve patients with type 2 diabetes (1.52 vs 1.85 per patient year of exposure; p=0.11)
Insulin degludec is a once-daily basal insulin which can be administered at any time of the day, however preferably at the same time every day. It is the first insulin to offer people with diabetes the flexibility in the timing of insulin administration on occasions when administration at the same time of day is not possible. A minimum of eight hours between injections should always be ensured,.
"Many of my patients tell me when I see them in clinic that they have difficulty taking their insulin at exactly the same time each day. This is often for reasons which we can all sympathise with and understand. For example picking children up from school or working irregular shifts at work. It is thus very useful that there is now an insulin which, because of its longer duration of action, is able to offer patients a bit more flexibility in terms of timing of their dose without compromising either their glycaemic control or risk of hypoglycaemia", commented Professor Melanie J Davies, Professor of Diabetes Medicine, University of Leicester and Honorary Consultant, University Hospitals of Leicester.
Hypoglycaemic episodes are one of the most common side effects of insulin treatment, and although insulin degludec significantly reduces night-time hypoglycaemia, hypoglycaemia is still the most frequent side effect. However, of particular concern is the risk of night-time hypoglycaemia; often when the patient is sleeping and therefore less aware of the onset of symptoms.
While reduced risk of hypoglycaemia has obvious benefits for the person with diabetes, it is also important for society in general. The economic impact of hypoglycaemia in the UK is particularly significant. In 2010/11, the estimated UK cost for severe hypoglycaemia was £30.4 million and for moderate hypoglycaemia £41.8 million. Each severe hypoglycaemic episode involving hospitalisation, costs the NHS an estimated £2,153 per person,. Almost 50% of severe hypoglycaemic episodes occur at night and the most severe night-time episodes can be fatal if left untreated. Severe episodes are estimated to be responsible for 6% of deaths in people with diabetes under the age of 40,.
Insulin degludec is available in two FlexTouch® pens: FlexTouch® U100, which is suitable for doses from 1 to 80 units per injection and dials in one unit increments, and FlexTouch® U200, which allows up to 160 units of insulin in one injection and dials in two unit increments. The U200 is the first prefilled pen that allows patients who need more than 80 units of basal insulin each day to inject only once.
"Novo Nordisk has a long heritage in changing the diabetes landscape with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. Our focus is in developing treatments that address key challenges faced by patients and clinicians," said Peter Meeus, UK/IRE Managing Director, Novo Nordisk.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
About Tresiba® (insulin degludec)
Insulin degludec is a new once-daily basal insulin for adults with diabetes, discovered and developed by Novo Nordisk. Insulin degludec reduces blood glucose levels with a lower risk of night-time hypoglycaemia compared to insulin glargine. Furthermore, insulin degludec provides a duration of action beyond 42 hours, allowing for flexibility in day-to-day dosing time when needed (minimum of 8 hours between injections). Insulin degludec is available in FlexTouch®, Novo Nordisk's latest prefilled insulin pen, and is offered in two concentrations enabling maximum doses of up to 80 and 160 units per single injection. Insulin degludec is also available in a cartridge (Tresiba® Penfill®), designed to be used with Novo Nordisk insulin delivery systems.
Insulin degludec was approved for use in type 1 and type 2 diabetes on 21 January 2013 by the European Commission.
Indication: Insulin degludec is indicated for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in adults.
Safety: The most frequent side effects are hypoglycaemia and injection site reactions. Hypoglycaemia is the most frequently reported adverse reaction during treatment (very common, ≥1/10). Injection site reactions are usually mild and transitory and normally disappear during continued use (common, ≥1/100 to <1/10). Insulin degludec has been studied in a clinical trial programme involving more than 7,000 people with diabetes.
See the Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) for further information.
Diabetes (or diabetes mellitus) is a serious and challenging health condition that develops when there is too much sugar in the blood due to the body being unable to produce or respond to the hormone, insulin, in the normal way. Every three minutes, one person in the UK is diagnosed with diabetes, and approximately 2.9 million people have already been diagnosed with diabetes in the UK. This figure is projected to rise to 5 million by 2025.
Hypoglycaemia is an episode of low blood sugar which may lead to accidents, injuries and even death in severe cases,. It is estimated that 6% of diabetes-related deaths are linked to severe hypoglycaemic episodes. Despite advances in insulin therapy, the risk of hypoglycaemia remains a serious problem. Severe hypoglycaemic episodes (where assistance from another person is required and may result in hospitalisation) can lead to seizures, coma and even death if left untreated. Even non-severe hypoglycaemic episodes have a large impact on daily life for many people with diabetes, including lost productivity at work. People with type 1 diabetes suffer, on average, over three episodes per month (42.9 episodes per year). People with type 2 diabetes suffer, on average, over one episode per month (16.4 episodes per year). These episodes cause many people with diabetes and their relatives to live with the fear of the next episode every day.
About Novo Nordisk
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global healthcare company with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. The company also has leading positions within haemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. For more information, visit novonordisk.co.uk.
® Tresiba®, FlexTouch®, Penfill® and the APIS bull are trademarks owned by Novo Nordisk A/S.
- Tresiba® summary of product characteristics 2013.
- Zinman B et al., Insulin Degludec Versus Insulin Glargine in Insulin-Naive Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: A 1-year, randomized, treat-to-target trial (BEGIN Once Long) Diabetes Care. 2012;35(12):2464-71.
- Heller S et al., Insulin degludec, an ultra-long acting basal insulin, versus insulin glargine in basal-bolus treatment with mealtime insulin aspart in type 1 diabetes (BEGIN Basal-Bolus Type 1): a phase 3 randomised, open-label, treat-to-target non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2012;379:1489-1497.
- Ratner RE et al., Prospectively planned meta-analysis comparing hypoglycemia rates of insulin degludec with those of insulin glargine. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2013;15(2):175-184.
- Meneghini L et al., The Efficacy and Safety of Insulin Degludec Given in Variable Once-Daily Dosing Intervals Compared With Insulin Glargine and Insulin Degludec Dosed at the Same Time Daily: A 26-week, randomized, open-label, parallel-group, treat-to-target trial in people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013 [epub ahead of print] dow: 10.2337/dc12-1668.
- Leiter LA et al., Assessment of the Impact of Fear of Hypoglycemic Episodes on Glycemic and Hypoglycemia Management. Can J Diabetes. 2005;29:186-92.
- Allen KV et al., BM. Nocturnal hypoglycemia: clinical manifestations and therapeutic strategies toward prevention. Endocr Pract. 2003;9(6):530-43.
- Hex N et al., Estimating the current and future costs of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in the UK, including direct health costs and indirect societal and productivity costs. Diabet Med. 2012;29(7):855-62.
- ISD Scotland. Available at URL: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Finance/Publications/2011-11-29/Costs_R910_2011.xls Last accessed: February 2013.
- Department of Health. Payment by results tariffs. Available at URL: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_124356 Last accessed: February 2013.
- Sovik O et al., Dead-in-bed syndrome in young diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 1999;22(S2):B40-2.
- Novo Nordisk data on file. DOF-IDeg-130712-005.
- NHS Choices. Diabetes introduction. Available at URL: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes/Pages/Introduction.aspx Last accessed: February 2013.
- Diabetes UK. State of the Nation 2012. Available at URL: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Reports/State-of-the-Nation-2012.pdf Last accessed: February 2013.
- Cefalu CA et al., Controlling hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes: which agent for which patient? J Fam Pract. 2005;54:855-62.
- American Diabetes Association Working Group on Hypoglycemia. Defining and reporting hypoglycemia in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:1245-9.
- Bonds DE et al., The association between symptomatic, severe hypoglycaemia and mortality in type 2 diabetes: retrospective epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD study. BMJ. 2010;340:B4909.
- Briscoe VJ et al., Hypoglycemia in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: physiology, pathophysiology and management. Clin Diabetes. 2006;24:115-21.
- Brod M et al., The impact of non-severe hypoglycemic events on work productivity and diabetes management. Value Health 2011;14:665-71.
- Donnelly LA et al., Frequency and Predictors of Hypoglycaemia in Type 1 and Insulin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes: A Population-Based Study. Diabet Med. 2005;22:749-55.
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 960
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,342
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,378
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Phil Hombledal, Solution Architect at CollabNet, discussed how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,334
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,805
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,891
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,306
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 887
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 900
If you haven’t heard yet, CollabNet just put out some very big news for managing and gaining value from DevOps. We introduced CollabNet DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM) — a platform designed exclusively for providing a single pane of glass, dashboard, and traceability views across your DevOps toolchain and processes from planning to operations and that can be traced back to planning and development.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 900
"Venafi has a platform that allows you to manage, centralize and automate the complete life cycle of keys and certificates within the organization," explained Gina Osmond, Sr. Field Marketing Manager at Venafi, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,237
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,048
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 716
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, discussed how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your aud...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 403
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,246