|By Business Wire||
|May 8, 2013 11:30 AM EDT||
ExaGrid Systems, Inc. (www.exagrid.com) the leader in scalable and cost-effective disk-based backup solutions with data deduplication, today announced that higher education institutions are increasingly choosing ExaGrid’s disk-based backup appliances with deduplication to gain faster backups and restores and seamless scalability as data grows.
As a result of implementing ExaGrid, IT departments at a growing number of prestigious colleges and universities have reduced backup times by up to 90%, improved offsite disaster recovery capabilities, reduced or eliminated tape backup, and dramatically sped up their restores of files, objects, and virtual machines – while also avoiding costly “forklift upgrades” associated with other approaches that do not scale easily.
Higher education institutions are choosing ExaGrid’s disk backup with deduplication to meet their backup and recovery needs in large part because of ExaGrid’s unique approach to disk backup, which combines compute with capacity as data grows in a “scale-out” architecture along with a landing zone for rapid restores. Other disk backup solutions that expand in a “scale-up” architecture by adding just disk capacity without adding compute resources result in downstream problems including ever-expanding backup windows and expensive forklift upgrades. These other solutions also only store deduplicated data, resulting in slow system restores and tape copies, and slow recoveries of files, VMs and objects that take hours versus minutes. ExaGrid is the only solution that permanently shortens backup windows without expensive forklift upgrades, and also enables the fastest full system restores and rapid restore of files, VMs and objects in as fast as minutes.
The higher education institutions that have turned to ExaGrid to solve their backup challenges include:
- Keene State College: The Keene State College IT department selected ExaGrid to meet its need for shorter backup windows and greater backup reliability. After implementing the ExaGrid system, the team was able to reduce the backup time for the college’s main file server by 95%, from 20 hours to just 45 minutes.
- Furman University: Furman University turned to ExaGrid’s appliances to replace its aging tape library. ExaGrid offered the university a faster, more reliable backup solution that reduced the amount of time spent managing tape backups. Since implementing the ExaGrid disk backup with deduplication solution, Furman’s IT team reported a dramatic reduction in backup data by 22:1 and a 75% reduction in nightly backup times – from as much as six hours to about 90 minutes.
- Plymouth State University: The Plymouth State University IT department needed to move away from tape, and chose disk-based backup to make their data protection processes faster and more reliable. ExaGrid was an ideal choice as the appliance worked with the university’s existing backup application and made switching from tape easy. Since installation, the university has cut its backup windows in half and achieved data deduplication ratios as high as 20:1 with 30 days of retention.
- Sarah Lawrence College: Sarah Lawrence College’s IT team knew that it wanted to move away from tape, and even considered backing up to primary disk in a co-location facility. The team chose ExaGrid’s disk backup with deduplication as a way to reduce backup data volumes and the high projected cost of disk space, power draw, and rack space in the co-location facility. Since backing up to ExaGrid, the IT department has seen the college’s backup window reduced from between 24-36 hours per week to 10-12 hours.
- Marc Crespi, vice president of product management for ExaGrid Systems: “These education institutions experienced many of the same pain points that made ExaGrid’s unique approach to disk backup with deduplication an attractive solution. Most of these customers were experiencing rapid data growth, backups running outside the available window, long restore times, and the management headaches of tape backup. Each of these campuses solved their backup challenges with ExaGrid’s proven architecture built for backup and optimized for backup and restore performance and cost-effective scalability.
- Kevin Forrest, system administrator for Keene State College: “Decreasing our backup windows and the time the IT team spent on backups each night was a huge factor in why we chose to implement an ExaGrid appliance. Since installation, backup times have decreased significantly and we’re all able to sleep better at night knowing our data will be completely backed up by the time we arrive to work each morning.”
About ExaGrid Systems, Inc.:
ExaGrid offers the only disk-based backup appliance with data deduplication purpose-built for backup that leverages a unique architecture optimized for performance, scalability and price. ExaGrid is the only solution that combines compute with capacity and a unique landing zone to permanently shorten backup windows, eliminate expensive forklift upgrades, achieve the fastest full system restores and tape copies, and rapidly restore files, VMs and objects in minutes. With offices and distribution worldwide, ExaGrid has more than 5,500 systems installed at more than 1,655 customers, and more than 320 published customer success stories.
ExaGrid is a registered trademark of ExaGrid Systems, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,244
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Jul. 28, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,315
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,574
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 28, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,634
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,617
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,791
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,539
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 28, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,400
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,052
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,104
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Jul. 28, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 842
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,619
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,245
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,164
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,410