|By Toddy Mladenov||
|June 10, 2013 08:07 PM EDT||
With cloud computing increasing its popularity, more and more enterprise IT and development teams are looking to run proof-of-concept projects. Very often though such projects do not deliver results as expected and project managers come back to the leadership teams with either: "We are not ready for the cloud!" or "It will be too expensive to move our applications to the cloud!" However the problem doesn't necessary lie in the cloud or the application portfolio. Most of the times it is in the way the project is scoped and managed.
Here are few DOs and DON'Ts for managing proof-of-concept projects in the cloud.
- Make a decision what type of cloud options you will evaluate - from a service model point of view and from deployment point of view. If you are going to evaluate private PaaS options try to compare those only to private PaaS providers. Using the well known cliche compare only apples to apples.
- Clearly define the terminology for the whole project team. For example something that one company calls PaaS may be considered IaaS or just a stack automation by another vendor. You need to have your own definition of PaaS, IaaS, stack automation tools and any other terminology that you will use.
- Choose only vendors that fit your definition. After you clearly define and socialize what you will be evaluating you need to choose vendors that offer solutions that fit you your definition.
- Select application that will be easily migrated to the cloud. Quite often teams select their most complex application but the problem with this is that such applications are very often implemented with legacy technologies and most of the time gets spend on re-architecting the application instead learning what the cloud has to offer.
- Set clear goals and timeframe for the PoC. You need to be clear what problems you want the cloud to solve for you. Whether it is agility and time-to-market, or efficiency and ease of infrastructure management you need to get the whole project team to agree upon. Next, make sure the project is time-boxed and properly managed to come up with meaningful results.
- Don not rule out particular technology because you are not familiar with it or it is too new. One of the goals of the PoC should be to become familiar with the technology. In addition new technology may solve more problems for you than you have initially anticipated.
- Do not select too many vendors. Choose only the best 2 or 3 vendors in the category you want to evaluate else you may fall into analysis-paralysis and not be able to choose among the variety of options you have. In addition the PoC will run longer the more vendors you have.
- Do not migrate multiple applications as part of the PoC. Migrating one application should be enough for you to learn what the effort is and become familiar with the technology or the vendor. Migrating more than one application is investment that you may not stick with after the PoC.
- Do not extend the length of the PoC. Even if you think that you will be able to migrate your complex application to the cloud if you extend the PoC with another month it is better to cut the scope instead. The reasons are that 1. you have already learned that you will need more time to migrate your applications to the cloud and 2. extending the PoC postpones the decision and moves you further away from the ultimate goal to get everybody on-board.
- Last but not least do not make decision that is heavily tailored to the needs of one team. If the PoC is a cross-team effort (IT, DEV, Business) then all three teams should have equal saying on the technology. If one of the teams targets additional goals they can evaluate technology that easily integrates with the chosen one and offers complementary benefits.
Making a technology decision has always been tough choice hence having a structured approach to the problem can help you make the decisions faster and last longer.
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Mar. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,329
SYS-CON Events announced today that SD Times | BZ Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and commercial UAV markets.
Mar. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,082
SYS-CON Events announced today that Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Mar. 25, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,909
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,707
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 13,900
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,136
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,978
Historically, some banking activities such as trading have been relying heavily on analytics and cutting edge algorithmic tools. The coming of age of powerful data analytics solutions combined with the development of intelligent algorithms have created new opportunities for financial institutions. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sebastien Meunier, Head of Digital for North America at Chappuis Halder & Co., will discuss how these tools can be leveraged to develop a lasting competitive advanta...
Mar. 25, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,553
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,026
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 722
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,698
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,506
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,618
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 25, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,368
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership abi...
Mar. 25, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 10,854