|By Marketwired .||
|October 2, 2013 09:08 AM EDT||
WOBURN, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 10/02/13 -- iSeeCars, a car search engine and aggregator that helps consumers easily find the best deal on used cars, today revealed its analysis of over 20 million used cars for sale by used car and new car dealers throughout the U.S. The results revealed that, with a few exceptions, consumers will find almost the same deals at each type of dealership.
- Collectively, new car dealers had slightly better prices, on average, than used car dealers, by 0.26%.
- Cars that were 10 years old or newer were a better deal from new car dealers by 0.27% while used cars more than 10 years old saw better savings from used car dealers on average by 0.22%.
- Nine of the top 10 most popular models had better deals (on average) from new car dealers than used car dealers with the lone exception being BMW 3 Series.
- Used car dealers offered better deals (on average) on models including the Cadillac Seville (by 3.4 percent), the Jaguar XK (by 2.9 percent) and the Infiniti G37 (by 1.7 percent).
- But new car dealers offered better deals on models including the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx (by 2.3 percent), the Kia Amanti (by 2.0 percent) and the Ford Shelby GT500 (by 1.8 percent).
"The general perception is that used car dealers offer better prices than franchise dealers because used car dealers have lower overhead," said Phong Ly, CEO and co-founder of iSeeCars. "But statistically, that's not the case. If you're in the market for a used car, check for deals at new car dealers as well."
iSeeCars analyzed over 20 million used cars that were for sale in the U.S. over the last twelve months and compared the average market prices of equivalent cars sold by both used car dealers and new car dealers. Used car dealers are independent dealers that sell only used cars, of which there are about 37,000; new car dealers sell both new and used cars, of which there are about 17,000. iSeeCars calculated the market price of a used car using a proprietary algorithm that analyzes similar cars for sale -- those with the same year, make, model, trim, options, mileage, and other factors. To determine which dealer had better prices, the company compared the list prices of the used cars with market prices.
iSeeCars is a car search engine that helps consumers find the best deal by providing key insights and analysis about each used car. The proprietary iSeeCars algorithm ranks cars by calculating an overall score based on analysis of the car's condition, history, negotiability, price and the seller. Based in the Boston area, iSeeCars was founded by former TripAdvisor and SAP developers and executives determined to improve the used car shopping experience.
Marianne Sabella Dempsey
May. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,079
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,131
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,948
May. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,873
May. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,049
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,768
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,701
May. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,355
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,030
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,203
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,142
May. 26, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,258
May. 26, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,558
May. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,246
May. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 682