|By Marketwired .||
|November 12, 2013 10:56 AM EST||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 11/12/13 -- One of the first things we learn to say in any foreign language is "where's the bathroom?" Clearly, the need to go is a common bond for cultures around the world. Fortunately, this universal necessity has been addressed with panache in many places, leading the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, to compile its list of Cool Loos You Can Use: Top 10 Public Toilets Worth Talking About. These are all spots where, when Mother Nature calls, you will have a one-of-kind experience when you answer.
Make your next pit stop an interesting one by checking out one of these five cool loos to make our list that offer great views, works of art, technological innovation and more:
- Graben Toilets, Vienna, Austria - It may feel like you're entering a subway station when you head toward these underground toilets along the Graben (one of Vienna's most famous streets), but these loos are actually lovely. Vienna didn't always have the best track record when it came to public bathroom options, but a proposal from Wilhelm Beetz helped change that in the late 19th century. In these bathrooms, which are near Kohlmarkt, you'll be treated not only to attractive toilets, but also to brass fixtures, marble walls and wood paneling, as well as some cool tile work. The men's side features waterless urinals -- Beetz's brainchild.
- Mount McKinley Toilet, Alaska, United States - This "potty" takes the word public to a new level. Perched 14,200 feet up on Alaska's Mount McKinley, this john stands on its own surrounded by nothing more than three wooden slabs and plenty of ice and snow. Hiking to this toilet won't be easy, and there's still more than 6,000 feet to go from here to reach McKinley's summit. Once you arrive, you'll be in for a bathroom break that will make you say 'brrrr,' after all, this loo is largely open to the elements. But the novelty of the experience and the view of Mt. Foraker you'll be treated to will do their best to help you forget about the wind and sub-zero temperatures.
- Hundertwasser Public Toilets, Kawakawa, New Zealand - Some visitors stop at the Hundertwasser toilets not to pee, but just to take pictures. Located along State Highway 1 in the rural area of Kawakawa on the North Island, these public toilets were designed by late artist-architect Frederick Hundertwasser. Built in the late 1990s, these bathrooms feature bricks from a former Bank of New Zealand building, a living tree, tile mosaics, curvy columns and walls embedded with glass bottles. The facility, which is topped off with a grass roof, is a can't-miss collage of colors and interesting materials. Hundertwasser died a few years after the bathroom was completed, making this his final project and only piece of work in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Pop-Up Toilets, Europe - When you gotta go, you gotta go -- and some European cities are taking this need for instant gratification seriously. Places like London and Amsterdam are curbing public urination with a futuristic solution -- toilets that emerge from the ground during the nighttime hours then retract and disappear during the day. A company called Urilift is producing these cylindrical lavatories that look like something out of "The Jetsons." They've started with walk-in urinals and have now moved on to pop-up loos with doors for the ladies. Other types of portable urinals have also been popping up across Europe for more than a decade.
- Daimaru Department Store, Tokyo, Japan - From the folks who brought us Toto, one of the world's high-end toilet brands, come the commodes of the Daimaru Department Store. The public bathrooms here are outfitted with -- you guessed it -- Toto toilets. The shopping destination has 13 floors, each of which has its own bathroom designed to match the floor's atmosphere. These aren't your standard toilets, though. They have everything from heated seats to sound effects (to mask typical bathroom noises), and they feature a self-cleaning mechanism, complete with temperature-controlled water.
The next five loos to round out the list are: Public Bathroom, Chongqing, China; Glass Bathrooms at Downtown Square, Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States; Chung Yo Department Store Bathrooms, Taichung City, Taiwan; Rothesay's Victorian Toilets, Isle of Bute, Scotland and Urquiza Public Toilets, Rosario, Argentina. To read the twinkling details on these in Cheapflights.com's Cool Loos You Can Use: Top 10 Public Toilets Worth Talking About visit www.cheapflights.com/news/cool-loos-you-can-use-top-10-public-toilets-worth-talking-about.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 13 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 20 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2455573
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hanu Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Leveraging best-in-class people, processes, and technologies, Hanu provides high-quality, high-value software development and business process outsourcing services to independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,496
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,493
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,608
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,108
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
May. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 886
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 31, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 831
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,631
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 904
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,267
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,913
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City, and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world.
May. 31, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,087
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 31, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,909
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 31, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 913
We’ve been doing it for years, decades for some. How many websites have you created accounts on? Your bank, your credit card companies, social media sites, hotels and travel sites, online shopping sites, and that’s just the start. We do it often without even thinking about it, quickly entering our personal information, our data, in a plethora of systems. Sometimes we’re not even aware of the information we are providing. It could be very personal information (think of the security questions you ...
May. 31, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,084
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,440