|By Marketwired .||
|November 12, 2013 10:56 AM EST||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 11/12/13 -- One of the first things we learn to say in any foreign language is "where's the bathroom?" Clearly, the need to go is a common bond for cultures around the world. Fortunately, this universal necessity has been addressed with panache in many places, leading the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, to compile its list of Cool Loos You Can Use: Top 10 Public Toilets Worth Talking About. These are all spots where, when Mother Nature calls, you will have a one-of-kind experience when you answer.
Make your next pit stop an interesting one by checking out one of these five cool loos to make our list that offer great views, works of art, technological innovation and more:
- Graben Toilets, Vienna, Austria - It may feel like you're entering a subway station when you head toward these underground toilets along the Graben (one of Vienna's most famous streets), but these loos are actually lovely. Vienna didn't always have the best track record when it came to public bathroom options, but a proposal from Wilhelm Beetz helped change that in the late 19th century. In these bathrooms, which are near Kohlmarkt, you'll be treated not only to attractive toilets, but also to brass fixtures, marble walls and wood paneling, as well as some cool tile work. The men's side features waterless urinals -- Beetz's brainchild.
- Mount McKinley Toilet, Alaska, United States - This "potty" takes the word public to a new level. Perched 14,200 feet up on Alaska's Mount McKinley, this john stands on its own surrounded by nothing more than three wooden slabs and plenty of ice and snow. Hiking to this toilet won't be easy, and there's still more than 6,000 feet to go from here to reach McKinley's summit. Once you arrive, you'll be in for a bathroom break that will make you say 'brrrr,' after all, this loo is largely open to the elements. But the novelty of the experience and the view of Mt. Foraker you'll be treated to will do their best to help you forget about the wind and sub-zero temperatures.
- Hundertwasser Public Toilets, Kawakawa, New Zealand - Some visitors stop at the Hundertwasser toilets not to pee, but just to take pictures. Located along State Highway 1 in the rural area of Kawakawa on the North Island, these public toilets were designed by late artist-architect Frederick Hundertwasser. Built in the late 1990s, these bathrooms feature bricks from a former Bank of New Zealand building, a living tree, tile mosaics, curvy columns and walls embedded with glass bottles. The facility, which is topped off with a grass roof, is a can't-miss collage of colors and interesting materials. Hundertwasser died a few years after the bathroom was completed, making this his final project and only piece of work in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Pop-Up Toilets, Europe - When you gotta go, you gotta go -- and some European cities are taking this need for instant gratification seriously. Places like London and Amsterdam are curbing public urination with a futuristic solution -- toilets that emerge from the ground during the nighttime hours then retract and disappear during the day. A company called Urilift is producing these cylindrical lavatories that look like something out of "The Jetsons." They've started with walk-in urinals and have now moved on to pop-up loos with doors for the ladies. Other types of portable urinals have also been popping up across Europe for more than a decade.
- Daimaru Department Store, Tokyo, Japan - From the folks who brought us Toto, one of the world's high-end toilet brands, come the commodes of the Daimaru Department Store. The public bathrooms here are outfitted with -- you guessed it -- Toto toilets. The shopping destination has 13 floors, each of which has its own bathroom designed to match the floor's atmosphere. These aren't your standard toilets, though. They have everything from heated seats to sound effects (to mask typical bathroom noises), and they feature a self-cleaning mechanism, complete with temperature-controlled water.
The next five loos to round out the list are: Public Bathroom, Chongqing, China; Glass Bathrooms at Downtown Square, Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States; Chung Yo Department Store Bathrooms, Taichung City, Taiwan; Rothesay's Victorian Toilets, Isle of Bute, Scotland and Urquiza Public Toilets, Rosario, Argentina. To read the twinkling details on these in Cheapflights.com's Cool Loos You Can Use: Top 10 Public Toilets Worth Talking About visit www.cheapflights.com/news/cool-loos-you-can-use-top-10-public-toilets-worth-talking-about.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 13 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 20 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2455573
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 27, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,543
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,153
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Jul. 27, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 940
Organizations planning enterprise data center consolidation and modernization projects are faced with a challenging, costly reality. Requirements to deploy modern, cloud-native applications simultaneously with traditional client/server applications are almost impossible to achieve with hardware-centric enterprise infrastructure. Compute and network infrastructure are fast moving down a software-defined path, but storage has been a laggard. Until now.
Jul. 27, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,748
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Jul. 27, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,241
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 27, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,515
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 27, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,425
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 27, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,580
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 27, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,717
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Jul. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,001
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,940
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,006
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,580
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,099
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,363