|By PR Newswire||
|December 20, 2013 07:25 AM EST||
PITTSBURGH, Dec. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With faster pre-processing, solver and optimization technologies, users of ANSYS Inc.'s (NASDAQ: ANSS) release 15.0 for fluid dynamics simulation will be able to meet tighter development deadlines and further reduce time to market.
Released earlier this month, new functionalities in ANSYS® 15.0 offer users a wealth of benefits across its product portfolio. As the second in a series of announcements highlighting improved capabilities across three main physics areas, ANSYS today focuses on the enhancements to its computational fluid dynamics (CFD) offerings at release 15.0. CFD solutions from ANSYS provide the ability to confidently predict that products impacted by flow phenomena will thrive in the real world. As products grow increasingly complex, the geometry and physics being simulated are also becoming more complicated. The advances in ANSYS 15.0's CFD solutions make it easier for users to arrive at fast, accurate solutions.
Thanks to smart optimization technologies, faster solver speed, ground-breaking parallel scalability, intuitive geometry functionality and parallel meshing technologies, users of ANSYS 15.0 for fluid dynamics will be able to design new products faster and more accurately than ever before.
Release highlights for computational fluid dynamics in ANSYS 15.0 include:
- Optimization is faster thanks to an improved adjoint solver. The adjoint solver now supports larger problems with meshes up to 30 million cells. The core functionality of the adjoint energy equation has been implemented in a way that observables can be defined as various integrals of heat flux and temperature — including averages and variances. As a result, the adjoint solver can now be used in problems where heat exchange maximization or heat loss reduction is a key design goal.
- ANSYS 15.0 provides numerous solver speed improvements. For example, simulations of immiscible fluid using the volume-of-fluid model are up to 36 percent faster. Transient Eulerian multiphase flow simulations are also accelerated thanks to adaptive time-stepping support. Dynamic combustion mechanism reduction can lead to simulation up to seven times faster with large chemical mechanisms.
- Simulation of fluid flow with heat transfer has been enhanced in numerous ways in ANSYS 15.0 multi-layer shell conduction greatly simplifies thermal management simulations and speeds up the overall workflow, avoiding the need to volume-mesh very thin material surfaces. Anisotropic thermal conductivity behavior for solid materials can also now be modeled. The surface-to-surface radiation model supports non-conformal meshes. This provides more flexibility in meshing both large fluid volumes together with thin fabricated structures, also helping to speed up the time to solution.
- Continuous improvements in ANSYS 15.0 with high-performance computing (HPC) scalability and robustness allow engineers to increase simulation throughput. One set of benchmark results demonstrated scalability above 80 percent efficiency with as few as 10,000 cells per compute core, representing a three-fold improvement over previous releases. ANSYS 15.0 also reduces the time needed to read a simulation file and start the simulation on large HPC clusters, in some extreme cases going from 30 minutes to 30 seconds. Furthermore, a benchmark example of a flow simulation with large number of particles showed 80 percent parallel efficiency on 6,000 computing cores with ANSYS Fluent®. Thanks to efforts to improve ANSYS CFX® scalability on larger core counts, turbomachinery and other applications are being sped up significantly. Also, GPUs can be used with the AMG coupled pressure-based solver in ANSYS Fluent, with benchmarks here showing a speed up of up to 2.5 times is possible.
"Thanks to ANSYS fluid dynamics simulation solutions' speed and unmatched scalability on high-performance computer clusters, we are able to quickly and accurately assess the performance of a large number of designs," said Rob Rowsell of Wirth Research.
- Multiphysics simulations are easier to setup and run thanks to the introduction of 2-way thermal and 2-way thermal with force/displacement with ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS Mechanical via system coupling. This solution fully automates simulations which were previously extremely time consuming to setup and perform.
- Pre-processing complex CAD geometry is much faster, thanks to the introduction of advanced diagnostic and repair tools that guide the user when dealing with problematic geometries. Geometry problems like holes and gaps are automatically detected and can be quickly remedied with limited manual intervention. Major speed and memory use improvements have been implemented for all meshing methods. In addition, parallel meshing delivers dramatic reductions in mesh generation time. For example, for a 42 million-cell mesh, meshing time is reduced by up to 7.4 times when multiple processors are used.
ANSYS 15.0 contains many additional capabilities, which are detailed at http://www.ansys.com/ansys15.0.
Visit our blog or the ANSYS 15.0 webinar series for more information.
Current customers can download the latest version on the ANSYS Customer Portal.
About ANSYS, Inc.
ANSYS brings clarity and insight to customers' most complex design challenges through fast, accurate and reliable engineering simulation. Our technology enables organizations ― no matter their industry ― to predict with confidence that their products will thrive in the real world. Customers trust our software to help ensure product integrity and drive business success through innovation. Founded in 1970, ANSYS employs more than 2,500 professionals, many of them expert in engineering fields such as finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, electronics and electromagnetics, and design optimization. Headquartered south of Pittsburgh, U.S.A., ANSYS has more than 75 strategic sales locations throughout the world with a network of channel partners in 40+ countries. Visit www.ansys.com for more information.
ANSYS also has a strong presence on the major social channels. To join the simulation conversation, please visit: [email protected]
ANSYS and any and all ANSYS, Inc. brand, product, service and feature names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks or trademarks of ANSYS, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States or other countries. All other brand, product, service and feature names or trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Annette Arribas, CTP
SOURCE ANSYS, Inc.
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 11,622
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Oct. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,019
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that cl...
Oct. 28, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 705
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Oct. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,091
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 919
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,072
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and microservices. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your conta...
Oct. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,642
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Oct. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,524
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 28, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,120
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 28, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,120
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,775
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 28, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,172
Intelligent machines are here. Robots, self-driving cars, drones, bots and many IoT devices are becoming smarter with Machine Learning. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Sudha Jamthe, CEO of IoTDisruptions.com, will discuss the next wave of business disruption at the junction of IoT and AI, impacting many industries and set to change our lives, work and world as we know it.
Oct. 28, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 595
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 28, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,270
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 28, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,196