|By PR Newswire||
|December 20, 2013 07:25 AM EST||
PITTSBURGH, Dec. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With faster pre-processing, solver and optimization technologies, users of ANSYS Inc.'s (NASDAQ: ANSS) release 15.0 for fluid dynamics simulation will be able to meet tighter development deadlines and further reduce time to market.
Released earlier this month, new functionalities in ANSYS® 15.0 offer users a wealth of benefits across its product portfolio. As the second in a series of announcements highlighting improved capabilities across three main physics areas, ANSYS today focuses on the enhancements to its computational fluid dynamics (CFD) offerings at release 15.0. CFD solutions from ANSYS provide the ability to confidently predict that products impacted by flow phenomena will thrive in the real world. As products grow increasingly complex, the geometry and physics being simulated are also becoming more complicated. The advances in ANSYS 15.0's CFD solutions make it easier for users to arrive at fast, accurate solutions.
Thanks to smart optimization technologies, faster solver speed, ground-breaking parallel scalability, intuitive geometry functionality and parallel meshing technologies, users of ANSYS 15.0 for fluid dynamics will be able to design new products faster and more accurately than ever before.
Release highlights for computational fluid dynamics in ANSYS 15.0 include:
- Optimization is faster thanks to an improved adjoint solver. The adjoint solver now supports larger problems with meshes up to 30 million cells. The core functionality of the adjoint energy equation has been implemented in a way that observables can be defined as various integrals of heat flux and temperature — including averages and variances. As a result, the adjoint solver can now be used in problems where heat exchange maximization or heat loss reduction is a key design goal.
- ANSYS 15.0 provides numerous solver speed improvements. For example, simulations of immiscible fluid using the volume-of-fluid model are up to 36 percent faster. Transient Eulerian multiphase flow simulations are also accelerated thanks to adaptive time-stepping support. Dynamic combustion mechanism reduction can lead to simulation up to seven times faster with large chemical mechanisms.
- Simulation of fluid flow with heat transfer has been enhanced in numerous ways in ANSYS 15.0 multi-layer shell conduction greatly simplifies thermal management simulations and speeds up the overall workflow, avoiding the need to volume-mesh very thin material surfaces. Anisotropic thermal conductivity behavior for solid materials can also now be modeled. The surface-to-surface radiation model supports non-conformal meshes. This provides more flexibility in meshing both large fluid volumes together with thin fabricated structures, also helping to speed up the time to solution.
- Continuous improvements in ANSYS 15.0 with high-performance computing (HPC) scalability and robustness allow engineers to increase simulation throughput. One set of benchmark results demonstrated scalability above 80 percent efficiency with as few as 10,000 cells per compute core, representing a three-fold improvement over previous releases. ANSYS 15.0 also reduces the time needed to read a simulation file and start the simulation on large HPC clusters, in some extreme cases going from 30 minutes to 30 seconds. Furthermore, a benchmark example of a flow simulation with large number of particles showed 80 percent parallel efficiency on 6,000 computing cores with ANSYS Fluent®. Thanks to efforts to improve ANSYS CFX® scalability on larger core counts, turbomachinery and other applications are being sped up significantly. Also, GPUs can be used with the AMG coupled pressure-based solver in ANSYS Fluent, with benchmarks here showing a speed up of up to 2.5 times is possible.
"Thanks to ANSYS fluid dynamics simulation solutions' speed and unmatched scalability on high-performance computer clusters, we are able to quickly and accurately assess the performance of a large number of designs," said Rob Rowsell of Wirth Research.
- Multiphysics simulations are easier to setup and run thanks to the introduction of 2-way thermal and 2-way thermal with force/displacement with ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS Mechanical via system coupling. This solution fully automates simulations which were previously extremely time consuming to setup and perform.
- Pre-processing complex CAD geometry is much faster, thanks to the introduction of advanced diagnostic and repair tools that guide the user when dealing with problematic geometries. Geometry problems like holes and gaps are automatically detected and can be quickly remedied with limited manual intervention. Major speed and memory use improvements have been implemented for all meshing methods. In addition, parallel meshing delivers dramatic reductions in mesh generation time. For example, for a 42 million-cell mesh, meshing time is reduced by up to 7.4 times when multiple processors are used.
ANSYS 15.0 contains many additional capabilities, which are detailed at http://www.ansys.com/ansys15.0.
Visit our blog or the ANSYS 15.0 webinar series for more information.
Current customers can download the latest version on the ANSYS Customer Portal.
About ANSYS, Inc.
ANSYS brings clarity and insight to customers' most complex design challenges through fast, accurate and reliable engineering simulation. Our technology enables organizations ― no matter their industry ― to predict with confidence that their products will thrive in the real world. Customers trust our software to help ensure product integrity and drive business success through innovation. Founded in 1970, ANSYS employs more than 2,500 professionals, many of them expert in engineering fields such as finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, electronics and electromagnetics, and design optimization. Headquartered south of Pittsburgh, U.S.A., ANSYS has more than 75 strategic sales locations throughout the world with a network of channel partners in 40+ countries. Visit www.ansys.com for more information.
ANSYS also has a strong presence on the major social channels. To join the simulation conversation, please visit: [email protected]
ANSYS and any and all ANSYS, Inc. brand, product, service and feature names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks or trademarks of ANSYS, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States or other countries. All other brand, product, service and feature names or trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Annette Arribas, CTP
SOURCE ANSYS, Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 893
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, will explore the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences betwee...
May. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,673
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,535
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 28, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,007
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,921
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,358
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 627
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,332
SYS-CON Events announced today the Docker Meets Kubernetes – Intro into the Kubernetes World, being held June 9, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Register for 'Docker Meets Kubernetes Workshop' Here! This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, introduces participants to Kubernetes (container orchestration). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, participants learn ...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,000
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 556
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 28, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,239
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, will discuss how the newest technology advances are reducing the cost and complexity of traditional business continuity and disaster recovery solutions. Attendees will: Learn why having a full disaster recovery strategy is more important now than ever before Explore the key drivers of a successful disaster recovery solution Achieve measurable operational and business value from a disaster recovery ...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,412
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,051
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,621
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hanu Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Leveraging best-in-class people, processes, and technologies, Hanu provides high-quality, high-value software development and business process outsourcing services to independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises.
May. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,394