|By Marketwired .||
|December 30, 2013 11:17 AM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 12/30/13 -- New Year's resolution-making isn't just for people, but should be a requirement for higher education, particularly law schools, according to Professor Wes Porter, Director of Golden Gate University's Law Litigation Center. "Law schools that continually embrace fresh teaching techniques graduate the smartest students possible," says Professor Porter. To help law schools kick-start 2014, he offers 14 New Year's Resolutions for Law Schools:
1. Experiential learning is required. Clinics, externships, and simulations are now mainstream in legal education and, even before it's required by the bar or ABA, law schools must offer students the opportunities for real-world lawyering.
2. Assign lectures as homework and use classroom time for more application, exercises and problem-solving. Law schools must embrace "flipped classrooms," "blended learning," and YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/wporterable?feature=mhee
3. Blend legal doctrine and practical skills. Law schools must weave together the law with its practical application. For example, assign students to interview a witness to decide if elements of a crime are met, or draft a letter to a client in a contract dispute outlining several defenses.
4. Writing isn't just for writing courses. Law students must research, analyze, and write across the curriculum. If they will be "practice ready" when they graduate, then they must be ready to write.
5. Test more. Law schools need to stop giving one final exam marked with a single grade. Students learn better when regularly assessed throughout a course.
6. Provide more feedback. Professors should assess regular written assignments and offer students constructive feedback, just as a partner would to a junior associate.
7. Increase immersion learning. Law schools must offer learning opportunities in addition to the typical one to three class meetings per week structure.
8. Professors must be coach and mentor. Beyond the law, professors should teach students about learning, studying, professionalism, and professional identity and development.
9. Shrink class sizes. Law schools must keep classes small and professor-student interaction high) during and after class. Law schools should capitalize on smaller class sizes to improve and individualize instruction.
10. Remember that Socrates is dead. Students don't learn as well when they are stressed and they don't retain material that they reviewed out of fear. Professors must engage students in the classroom to think constructively about the material.
11. Professors must prove they are scholars or were once lawyers. Professors should discuss their research, ideas, professional experience, and opinions on current events with the students.
12. Help students find their place in the law. Law schools must do everything imaginable to help students reach their places in the evolving legal market and legal services industry.
13. Fill the equal access to justice gap. Law schools must connect those who need but can't afford an attorney with the glut of under-employed new lawyers.
14. Inspire. Law schools and individual professors must inspire the next generation of law graduates to think big, think creatively, and think of others first.
About Golden Gate University School of Law (GGU Law)
GGU Law offers full and part-time law programs that blend practical skills training with legal theory to prepare students to be critical thinkers, problem solvers, and leaders, with the flexibility to respond to changes in the legal profession. Our mission is to produce a diverse group of graduates with the skill, judgment, and moral compass to become exceptional lawyers and socially responsible members of the global community.
About Golden Gate University
Golden Gate University, a private nonprofit, has been helping adults achieve their professional goals by providing undergraduate and graduate education in accounting, law, taxation, business. and related areas for more than 110 years. GGU enrolls nearly 5,000 students annually and represents 68,000 alumni. The school's main campus is located at 536 Mission St. in San Francisco, with additional teaching sites in the Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, and Seattle. Most degree programs are also available entirely online. Founded in 1901, GGU is accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,016
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,082
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,334
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 31, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 989
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City, and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world.
May. 31, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,255
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
May. 31, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,228
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 31, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,246
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 31, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,509
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,805
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,911
We’ve been doing it for years, decades for some. How many websites have you created accounts on? Your bank, your credit card companies, social media sites, hotels and travel sites, online shopping sites, and that’s just the start. We do it often without even thinking about it, quickly entering our personal information, our data, in a plethora of systems. Sometimes we’re not even aware of the information we are providing. It could be very personal information (think of the security questions you ...
May. 31, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,165
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 31, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 902
In today's enterprise, digital transformation represents organizational change even more so than technology change, as customer preferences and behavior drive end-to-end transformation across lines of business as well as IT. To capitalize on the ubiquitous disruption driving this transformation, companies must be able to innovate at an increasingly rapid pace. Traditional approaches for driving innovation are now woefully inadequate for keeping up with the breadth of disruption and change facin...
May. 31, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,792
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 31, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,152
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,666