|By Marketwired .||
|January 3, 2014 03:12 PM EST||
SEBASTOPOL, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 01/03/14 -- Maker Faire, the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth, brought more making, creating, and inspiration to communities around the world this year than ever before -- 100 Maker Faire events reaching over 530,000 people who came together to celebrate making. The robust demand and growth of the Maker Movement are proven by the sheer number of Maker Faire events held across the globe, and total attendance, in 2013 -- 64% more than 2012 and 335% more than 2011.
Maker Faire celebrates the innovators, crafters, DIY-ers, scientists, artists, tinkerers, and engineers -- of all ages -- that comprise the maker community. "We are thrilled to see the local Mini Maker Faires thrive and grow as they have this year both in the United States and around the world," said Dale Dougherty, CEO of Maker Media and co-founder of Maker Faire. "To enable conversations with makers and to showcase their wonderful projects, local Maker Faires have succeeded in discovering and connecting local makers and inspiring everyone to find resources in their community."
Maker Faire is now being held outside of the United States with amazing events across Europe, South America, Asia, Canada, and more. "Communities are getting involved in charting their own future and celebrating making in so many ways that make sense in their own unique regions," said Sherry Huss, vice president of Maker Media and co-founder of Maker Faire.
The diversity of the local Faire makers match that of the flagship events: from young makers, teachers, and hobbyists to incubators, innovators, large companies, and world-class voices of the maker movement. Over 5,500 maker exhibits were featured at the 100 fairs around the world in 2013.
Maker Faire brings together makers and builds connections across these communities. This growing community in turn is increasingly involved in influencing local "Maker Movement" initiatives in education, community development, and economic development:
- Local Maker Faires are creating a new center to showcase local startups and maker businesses. Six Chambers of Commerce in 2013 organized Maker Faires (e.g., Anchorage, Alaska to Louisville, LA to Rome, Italy), and more were involved via fiscal support or sponsorship (e.g. Santiago, Chile).
- Maker Faire organizers in Westport, Connecticut were recently involved in helping to pass School Board legislation to increase STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) curriculum. School Board Legislation
- Always a strong area of making and innovation, demand for Maker Faires grew in Europe. The largest-scale European Maker Faire was held in Rome with an astounding 35,000 attendees and over 200 makers from all over Europe and beyond. The Mayor of Rome came and met many of the makers and declared the event a great success. "Europeans and the Italian craftsmen and designers have been making for over 2,000 years. They carry knowledge and techniques that fit within maker culture and Maker Faire,' says Massimiliano Colella, Rome Italy, Featured Faire Producer.
- Germany held its first Maker Faire in Hannover, turning out over 4,000 attendees. Spain had firsts in Barcelona and Bilbao, both organized by makers or makerspaces, turning out 1,750 and 2,000 attendees respectively. Norway its first in Oslo with 4,000 attendees. Saint-Malo held its first Faire event ever in France, produced by the local Le FabShop. They had over 1000 students and teachers in attendance for their education day and 1500 attendees at the Faire and some incredible makers of all ages.
- Many Maker Faire organizers are involved in starting or growing Makerspaces -- community centers where makers share tools and knowledge. "Over the last two years, now with two faires, we can a see clear impact on our city. We have doubled the attendees and the makers. We have now a larger, stronger, and connected Maker community. We see other groups starting maker-spaces and fablabs. We are turning Santiago into a maker's city. And the good news is that is not only Santiago. Many cities in our region are now planning Maker Faires," says Tiburcio de la Carcova, Santiago Chile, Mini Maker Faire producer.
- Maker Faire is increasing interdisciplinary conversations. According to Travis Good, the San Diego, CA, Mini Maker Faire producer, "One interesting influence is that making institutions are talking. Libraries and science museums and high schools and startup incubators and maker spaces are starting the discussion of collaboration to advance making."
2014 event dates for all Maker Faires are available as they are announced at MakerFaire.com/map.
Information on how to create a local Maker Faire in your area can be found at http://makerfaire.com/mini/.
More information and dates about the Maker Faires held around the globe in 2013, see the makezine.com blog post.
Some Key Facts about Maker Faire:
- Maker Faire was started in 2006 by the editors of MAKE magazine, in San Mateo, CA where Silicon Valley and the garage start-ups began.
- 100 Maker Faire events in 2013.
- 1.434 million total attendees since Maker Faire started in 2006; 530,000 attendees in 2013 (37%) of total attendees just this year!
- There have been 209 Maker Faire events since its inception, 100 of which happened in 2013. 48% of Faires were held 2013.
- Approximately 50% of the growth in the number of events and over one-third of the growth in attendees occurring in 2013
- Average maker % growth rate of repeat Faires from 2012 to 2013 is 22%.
- Average attendance % growth rate of repeat Faires from 2012 to 2013 is 18%.
- The first Mini Maker Faire was in 2009 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Maker Faire organizers range from makerspaces (13%), museums (27%), non-profits (21%), economic development groups (7%), schools (7%) and even libraries (2%).
Created by the editors of MAKE magazine, Maker Faire is a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity, and resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker movement. Maker Faire celebrated its 100th Faire this year, reaching over 1.5 million attendees globally. The original Maker Faire event was held in San Mateo, CA, and in 2013 celebrated its eighth annual show with some 950 makers and 120,000 people in attendance. World Maker Faire New York, the second flagship event, has grown in four years to 600+ makers and 75,000 attendees. Detroit, Kansas City, Rome, Oslo, Newcastle (UK), Tokyo, and Shenzhen are the home of "featured" Maker Faires (200+ makers), and community-driven, independently organized Mini Maker Faires are now being produced around the United States and the world. For more information about Maker Faire, visit makerfaire.com.
Maker Media is a global platform for connecting makers with each other, with products and services, and with our partners. Through media, events and ecommerce, Maker Media serves a growing community of makers who bring a DIY mindset to technology. Whether as hobbyists or professionals, makers are creative, resourceful and curious, developing projects that demonstrate how they can interact with the world around them. The launch of MAKE Magazine in 2005, followed by Maker Faire in 2006, jumpstarted a worldwide Maker Movement, which is transforming innovation, culture, and education. Located in Sebastopol, CA, Maker Media is the publisher of MAKE Magazine and the producer of Maker Faire. It also develops "getting started" kits and books that are sold in its Maker Shed store as well as in retail channels.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2488602
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2488662
PRESS QUERIES ONLY
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,224
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, discussed how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a practic...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,349
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,056
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,631
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, gave users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion with budd...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,047
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 6,316
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,194
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,591
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Mar. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 12,928
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle.
Mar. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,011
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,427
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,967
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 27, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,975
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,037
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,343