|By Marketwired .||
|January 3, 2014 03:12 PM EST||
SEBASTOPOL, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 01/03/14 -- Maker Faire, the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth, brought more making, creating, and inspiration to communities around the world this year than ever before -- 100 Maker Faire events reaching over 530,000 people who came together to celebrate making. The robust demand and growth of the Maker Movement are proven by the sheer number of Maker Faire events held across the globe, and total attendance, in 2013 -- 64% more than 2012 and 335% more than 2011.
Maker Faire celebrates the innovators, crafters, DIY-ers, scientists, artists, tinkerers, and engineers -- of all ages -- that comprise the maker community. "We are thrilled to see the local Mini Maker Faires thrive and grow as they have this year both in the United States and around the world," said Dale Dougherty, CEO of Maker Media and co-founder of Maker Faire. "To enable conversations with makers and to showcase their wonderful projects, local Maker Faires have succeeded in discovering and connecting local makers and inspiring everyone to find resources in their community."
Maker Faire is now being held outside of the United States with amazing events across Europe, South America, Asia, Canada, and more. "Communities are getting involved in charting their own future and celebrating making in so many ways that make sense in their own unique regions," said Sherry Huss, vice president of Maker Media and co-founder of Maker Faire.
The diversity of the local Faire makers match that of the flagship events: from young makers, teachers, and hobbyists to incubators, innovators, large companies, and world-class voices of the maker movement. Over 5,500 maker exhibits were featured at the 100 fairs around the world in 2013.
Maker Faire brings together makers and builds connections across these communities. This growing community in turn is increasingly involved in influencing local "Maker Movement" initiatives in education, community development, and economic development:
- Local Maker Faires are creating a new center to showcase local startups and maker businesses. Six Chambers of Commerce in 2013 organized Maker Faires (e.g., Anchorage, Alaska to Louisville, LA to Rome, Italy), and more were involved via fiscal support or sponsorship (e.g. Santiago, Chile).
- Maker Faire organizers in Westport, Connecticut were recently involved in helping to pass School Board legislation to increase STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) curriculum. School Board Legislation
- Always a strong area of making and innovation, demand for Maker Faires grew in Europe. The largest-scale European Maker Faire was held in Rome with an astounding 35,000 attendees and over 200 makers from all over Europe and beyond. The Mayor of Rome came and met many of the makers and declared the event a great success. "Europeans and the Italian craftsmen and designers have been making for over 2,000 years. They carry knowledge and techniques that fit within maker culture and Maker Faire,' says Massimiliano Colella, Rome Italy, Featured Faire Producer.
- Germany held its first Maker Faire in Hannover, turning out over 4,000 attendees. Spain had firsts in Barcelona and Bilbao, both organized by makers or makerspaces, turning out 1,750 and 2,000 attendees respectively. Norway its first in Oslo with 4,000 attendees. Saint-Malo held its first Faire event ever in France, produced by the local Le FabShop. They had over 1000 students and teachers in attendance for their education day and 1500 attendees at the Faire and some incredible makers of all ages.
- Many Maker Faire organizers are involved in starting or growing Makerspaces -- community centers where makers share tools and knowledge. "Over the last two years, now with two faires, we can a see clear impact on our city. We have doubled the attendees and the makers. We have now a larger, stronger, and connected Maker community. We see other groups starting maker-spaces and fablabs. We are turning Santiago into a maker's city. And the good news is that is not only Santiago. Many cities in our region are now planning Maker Faires," says Tiburcio de la Carcova, Santiago Chile, Mini Maker Faire producer.
- Maker Faire is increasing interdisciplinary conversations. According to Travis Good, the San Diego, CA, Mini Maker Faire producer, "One interesting influence is that making institutions are talking. Libraries and science museums and high schools and startup incubators and maker spaces are starting the discussion of collaboration to advance making."
2014 event dates for all Maker Faires are available as they are announced at MakerFaire.com/map.
Information on how to create a local Maker Faire in your area can be found at http://makerfaire.com/mini/.
More information and dates about the Maker Faires held around the globe in 2013, see the makezine.com blog post.
Some Key Facts about Maker Faire:
- Maker Faire was started in 2006 by the editors of MAKE magazine, in San Mateo, CA where Silicon Valley and the garage start-ups began.
- 100 Maker Faire events in 2013.
- 1.434 million total attendees since Maker Faire started in 2006; 530,000 attendees in 2013 (37%) of total attendees just this year!
- There have been 209 Maker Faire events since its inception, 100 of which happened in 2013. 48% of Faires were held 2013.
- Approximately 50% of the growth in the number of events and over one-third of the growth in attendees occurring in 2013
- Average maker % growth rate of repeat Faires from 2012 to 2013 is 22%.
- Average attendance % growth rate of repeat Faires from 2012 to 2013 is 18%.
- The first Mini Maker Faire was in 2009 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Maker Faire organizers range from makerspaces (13%), museums (27%), non-profits (21%), economic development groups (7%), schools (7%) and even libraries (2%).
Created by the editors of MAKE magazine, Maker Faire is a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity, and resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker movement. Maker Faire celebrated its 100th Faire this year, reaching over 1.5 million attendees globally. The original Maker Faire event was held in San Mateo, CA, and in 2013 celebrated its eighth annual show with some 950 makers and 120,000 people in attendance. World Maker Faire New York, the second flagship event, has grown in four years to 600+ makers and 75,000 attendees. Detroit, Kansas City, Rome, Oslo, Newcastle (UK), Tokyo, and Shenzhen are the home of "featured" Maker Faires (200+ makers), and community-driven, independently organized Mini Maker Faires are now being produced around the United States and the world. For more information about Maker Faire, visit makerfaire.com.
Maker Media is a global platform for connecting makers with each other, with products and services, and with our partners. Through media, events and ecommerce, Maker Media serves a growing community of makers who bring a DIY mindset to technology. Whether as hobbyists or professionals, makers are creative, resourceful and curious, developing projects that demonstrate how they can interact with the world around them. The launch of MAKE Magazine in 2005, followed by Maker Faire in 2006, jumpstarted a worldwide Maker Movement, which is transforming innovation, culture, and education. Located in Sebastopol, CA, Maker Media is the publisher of MAKE Magazine and the producer of Maker Faire. It also develops "getting started" kits and books that are sold in its Maker Shed store as well as in retail channels.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2488602
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2488662
PRESS QUERIES ONLY
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 408
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,234
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:36 AM EDT
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,489
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 24, 2016 08:59 AM EDT Reads: 189
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 24, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,807
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Aug. 24, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,808
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 24, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,049
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,779
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,646
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,728
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 24, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,056
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,165
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 24, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,908
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 24, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,395