|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 06:00 AM EST||
JACKSON, Mich., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Consumers Energy Foundation closed out 2013 by announcing more than $475,000 in grants for 17 community and nonprofit organizations throughout Michigan.
The grants fund a variety of projects in Lower Peninsula communities that Consumers Energy serves and fill many needs. The foundation is supporting educational programs, community projects and initiatives that provide assistance to people in need.
"You can appreciate the good work that goes out in Michigan's communities, big and small, from looking at the nonprofit projects we are supporting," said David Mengebier, president of the Consumers Energy Foundation. "We are proud to play a role in helping bring these initiatives and programs closer to completion, and building a strong future for our state."
The Consumers Energy Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Consumers Energy. It provides funding for a variety of areas, including education, community, civic and cultural development, social services, the environment and emerging issues. Michigan nonprofit organizations will receive more than $8 million this year through the foundation, the company and employee and retiree contributions.
The Consumers Energy Foundation has pledged grants to the following:
- Cranbrook Institute of Science (Bloomfield Hills) -- $50,000 for the Young Scientists program in Flint schools, expanding a program already in Detroit Public Schools. Sixth- and seventh-graders will receive instruction during the school day and after school, and visit the museum with their families.
- Community Foundation for Muskegon County (Muskegon) -- $50,000 to help relocate the Muskegon Farmers Market to a year-round, downtown location.
- Lakeshore Museum Center (Muskegon) -- $50,000 for Michigan's Heritage Park, a tourist attraction on 20 acres that will tell the story of Michigan's history through interactive exhibits.
- Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Michigan (Kalamazoo) -- $50,000 to support the Read & Seed Family Literacy Program, focusing on adult literacy and providing literacy activities to help 34 low-income families.
- Saginaw Valley State University (University Center) -- $50,000 to support the university's 50th anniversary fundraising campaign. Funds will create a scholarship for electrical engineering students and create an exterior entrance for the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum.
- Michigan 4-H Foundation (Tustin) -- $50,000 to improve the Kettunen Center, which hosts 4-H training workshops, school band camps and more. Funds will support expansion of a beach, addition of a dock and recreational features, and more.
- Kalamazoo County Land Bank Authority (Kalamazoo) -- $30,000 to support the Riverview Launch project, converting a tax-foreclosed property into a hub of community programming based on healthy, active lifestyles.
- MiTech Plus, Inc. (Midland) -- $30,000 to help develop the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) Center of Excellence, bringing together business, community and education leaders in the Great Lakes Bay region.
- Siena Heights University (Adrian) -- $25,000 to transform the old Benincasa dining hall into multipurpose space for the university and community to host special events.
- St. Johns Area Community Fund (St. Johns) -- $15,000 for a spray park that will replace the community's 60-year-old outdoor swimming pool.
- Jordan Lake Trail Board (Lake Odessa) -- $15,000 for a pedestrian/bike trail around Jordan Lake that can be used for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in winter.
- Fenner Conservancy (Lansing) -- $11,600 for prairie restoration, converting 19 acres of fields that are full of invasive species.
- Regent Theatre (Allegan) -- $10,000 to help convert the theater's projection equipment from 35mm film to a digital format.
- Adrian College (Adrian) -- $10,000 to the "Track and Explore" program, providing STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education on the grounds of Michigan International Speedway to college students studying to become teachers.
- Greater Lansing Housing Coalition (Lansing) -- $10,000 to expand "Tuesday Toolmen" project, providing home maintenance and repair jobs for income-eligible seniors and people with disabilities.
- Independent Transportation Network (Southfield) -- $10,000 to support transportation for seniors and the visually impaired. People will receive rides in private automobiles at any time within Oakland County, helping them to live independently.
- Seebeck Family Fund (Gladwin) -- $8,700 for kitchen incubator at Gladwin County Recreation Area. The kitchen will be part of a lodge that includes a banquet facility, space for artisans to sell products and the Gladwin Farmers Market.
Consumers Energy, Michigan's largest utility, is the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), providing natural gas and electricity to 6.6 million of the state's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
SOURCE Consumers Energy
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,245
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,951
SYS-CON Events announced today BZ Media LLC has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and Commercial Drone markets.
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,581
Cloud computing changed data analytics for good. It enabled companies to drastically decrease resources and architecture previously assigned with business intelligence departments. It also enabled laymen to run advanced business analytics. Cloud was also the architecture of choice for storing and processing big data. Data piling is a continuous process, which is going to explode with emerging Internet of Things concept. Answer to this issue developers found in new concept called fog computing. ...
May. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,995
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,858
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 903
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, will explore the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences betwee...
May. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,678
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,538
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 28, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,015
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 635
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,926
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,365
SYS-CON Events announced today the Docker Meets Kubernetes – Intro into the Kubernetes World, being held June 9, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Register for 'Docker Meets Kubernetes Workshop' Here! This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, introduces participants to Kubernetes (container orchestration). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, participants learn ...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,002
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,339
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 564