|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 07:00 AM EST||
WALNUT, Calif., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- VIASPACE Inc. (OTCQB: VSPC) CEO, Dr. Carl Kukkonen and Chairman of the Board, Dr. Kevin Schewe, today provided an update on recent company technical and business activities.
Dr. Kukkonen reported, "VIASPACE has been very busy since the last CEO update on November 4, 2012. I will give a summary of our recent business activities.
- I spent time in Nicaragua working on the 12 MW Giant King Grass power plant project with AGRICORP. I met with senior management, our agriculture team, government officials and local power plant and grid experts. The financial model is complete, as is the summary business plan. We have also decided to embark on a parallel animal feed project with AGRICORP as well. The Giant King Grass is growing well and the propagation field planted at the end of May is ready for harvest and further propagation which will focus on animal feed.
- Two potential customers from Costa Rica and Guatemala flew to Nicaragua to meet with me. Another potential customer from Panama also contacted me. All three have signed nondisclosure agreements.
- I met with development banks in Washington, DC and received strong support for the project. We expect to get 70% of the project financing from an international development bank.
- The Giant King Grass is growing very well in South Africa, and the project is moving toward the next stage.
- We traveled to Washington, DC with a new partner for a Giant King Grass project in Pakistan to meet with investors. The partner has signed a nondisclosure agreement and is proceeding with a contract. We expect to be able to make an announcement on this soon.
- VIASPACE Director, Mr. Khurram Irshad, a Pakistani American, has traveled to Pakistan twice and is working on another opportunity in Pakistan.
- A potential customer in the Caribbean has requested a test of Giant King Grass for a biofuels project. VIASPACE harvested 3,000 pounds of Giant King Grass from our California nursery, and the US biofuels company on the East Coast picked up the Giant King Grass on December 30, 2013. Test results should be available in 6 to 8 weeks.
- I went to the University of California Davis and met with their forage expert to review Giant King Grass as an animal feed and received significant recommendations. One suggestion was to double check the results of our forage analysis. VIASPACE has previously utilized near infrared analysis (NIR) from the Dairy One Forage Laboratory in Ithaca, New York. UC Davis recommended a comparison of the NIR data with a full wet chemistry analysis, and also recommended a second laboratory, Cumberland Valley Analytical Services, which tested the same sample using both NIR and wet chemistry. Using both laboratories and both methods produced the same results and confirmed that Giant King Grass is an excellent animal feed.
- Our VIASPACE partner in the Arizona animal feed project, Maricopa Bio Crops, came to California where we held technical and business meetings and met with a mechanical harvesting expert in the Central Valley. This project is moving forward efficiently to our mutual satisfaction and 2014 should prove to be a productive year with our partnership.
- The Giant King Grass in Hawaii successfully completed its 12 month quarantine on December 20, 2013. VIASPACE is in discussions with potential Hawaiian partners. The Hawaii Department of Agriculture has allowed Giant King Grass to remain in their facility until our partnership status is finalized and the location has been determined.
- VIASPACE has been invited to make a presentation on the Nicaragua 12 MW Power Plant project at the International Biomass Conference to be held in Orlando Florida March 24-26, 2014.
- VIASPACE held a Board of Directors meeting on December 23, 2013."
Kukkonen concluded, "I believe that 2014 will be a very important and successful year for VIASPACE."
VIASPACE Chairman of the Board, Dr. Kevin Schewe, reported on recent business and technical activities, "At our December 23 Board of Directors meeting, the Board unanimously voted to increase the number of authorized shares by 20%. These are authorized shares and none of these shares have been issued. We have been very judicious with issuing limited additional shares; however, the number of issued shares was getting close to the number of authorized shares. The Board plans to minimize dilution consistent with operating the company, but needs the flexibility of additional authorized shares for continued growth, financing and partnerships."
Dr. Schewe continued, "Since October of 2012, when I became Chairman of the Board, I have loaned VIASPACE a total of $342,000 in the form of Senior Convertible Loans. As per our five-year, one million dollar loan agreement, I am able to convert these loans into common shares which I have immediately done after making the loans. I have made the immediate conversion with two motivations in mind. First, by converting to common shares, I have intentionally minimized additional debt on VIASPACE's books. Secondly, I personally believe that our share price is undervalued by the market and that my conversions to common shares will make a handsome return on investment in the future. I know of no better way to show and convey my confidence in the future of the Company."
Dr. Schewe concluded, "I now hold 152,500,472 VIASPACE common shares and have become the company's second largest common shareholder. As Chairman of the Board, I think and act on behalf of all common shareholders. I believe that 2014 will be a pivotal year for VIASPACE in both the green energy market and the animal feed market. We are a budding global company with aspirations to greatness and a terrific pipeline of projects to propel us in that direction, several of which are very close to reaching fruition. I am pushing our company, CEO and Board of Directors to make 2014 our breakout year for generating revenues with the goal to grow revenues year by year from here forward."
About VIASPACE Inc.
VIASPACE grows renewable Giant KingTM Grass as a low-carbon fuel for clean electricity generation; for environmentally friendly energy pellets; and as a feedstock for bio-methane production and for green cellulosic biofuels, biochemicals and biomaterials. Giant King Grass is a proprietary, high yield, dedicated biomass clean energy crop. Giant King Grass when it is cut frequently at 4 to 5 feet tall is also excellent animal feed. For more information, please go to www.VIASPACE.com or contact Dr. Jan Vandersande, Director of Communications, at 800-517-8050 or [email protected]
Safe Harbor Statement
Information in this news release includes forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements relate to future events or future performance and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Such factors include, without limitation, risks outlined in our periodic filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012, and other factors over which VIASPACE has little or no control.
SOURCE VIASPACE Inc.
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data professionals...
Dec. 3, 2016 11:00 PM EST Reads: 4,120
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 3, 2016 11:00 PM EST Reads: 939
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Dec. 3, 2016 09:30 PM EST Reads: 1,596
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 3, 2016 09:30 PM EST Reads: 1,759
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, gave users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion with b...
Dec. 3, 2016 08:00 PM EST Reads: 3,950
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Claude Remillard, Principal Program Manager in Developer Division at Microsoft, contrasted how his team used config as code and immutable patterns for continuous delivery of microservices and apps to the cloud. He showed how the immutable patterns helps developers do away with most of the complexity of config as code-enabling scenarios such as rollback, zero downtime upgrades with far greater simplicity. He also demoed building immutable pipelines in the cloud ...
Dec. 3, 2016 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,742
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 3, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,509
"IoT is going to be a huge industry with a lot of value for end users, for industries, for consumers, for manufacturers. How can we use cloud to effectively manage IoT applications," stated Ian Khan, Innovation & Marketing Manager at Solgeniakhela, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 3, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 4,040
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Dec. 3, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,137
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Onalytica. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Dec. 3, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,998
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 3, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,473
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Dec. 3, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 4,859
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Dec. 3, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,591
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 3, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 3,222
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 3, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 477