|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 07:00 AM EST||
WALNUT, Calif., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- VIASPACE Inc. (OTCQB: VSPC) CEO, Dr. Carl Kukkonen and Chairman of the Board, Dr. Kevin Schewe, today provided an update on recent company technical and business activities.
Dr. Kukkonen reported, "VIASPACE has been very busy since the last CEO update on November 4, 2012. I will give a summary of our recent business activities.
- I spent time in Nicaragua working on the 12 MW Giant King Grass power plant project with AGRICORP. I met with senior management, our agriculture team, government officials and local power plant and grid experts. The financial model is complete, as is the summary business plan. We have also decided to embark on a parallel animal feed project with AGRICORP as well. The Giant King Grass is growing well and the propagation field planted at the end of May is ready for harvest and further propagation which will focus on animal feed.
- Two potential customers from Costa Rica and Guatemala flew to Nicaragua to meet with me. Another potential customer from Panama also contacted me. All three have signed nondisclosure agreements.
- I met with development banks in Washington, DC and received strong support for the project. We expect to get 70% of the project financing from an international development bank.
- The Giant King Grass is growing very well in South Africa, and the project is moving toward the next stage.
- We traveled to Washington, DC with a new partner for a Giant King Grass project in Pakistan to meet with investors. The partner has signed a nondisclosure agreement and is proceeding with a contract. We expect to be able to make an announcement on this soon.
- VIASPACE Director, Mr. Khurram Irshad, a Pakistani American, has traveled to Pakistan twice and is working on another opportunity in Pakistan.
- A potential customer in the Caribbean has requested a test of Giant King Grass for a biofuels project. VIASPACE harvested 3,000 pounds of Giant King Grass from our California nursery, and the US biofuels company on the East Coast picked up the Giant King Grass on December 30, 2013. Test results should be available in 6 to 8 weeks.
- I went to the University of California Davis and met with their forage expert to review Giant King Grass as an animal feed and received significant recommendations. One suggestion was to double check the results of our forage analysis. VIASPACE has previously utilized near infrared analysis (NIR) from the Dairy One Forage Laboratory in Ithaca, New York. UC Davis recommended a comparison of the NIR data with a full wet chemistry analysis, and also recommended a second laboratory, Cumberland Valley Analytical Services, which tested the same sample using both NIR and wet chemistry. Using both laboratories and both methods produced the same results and confirmed that Giant King Grass is an excellent animal feed.
- Our VIASPACE partner in the Arizona animal feed project, Maricopa Bio Crops, came to California where we held technical and business meetings and met with a mechanical harvesting expert in the Central Valley. This project is moving forward efficiently to our mutual satisfaction and 2014 should prove to be a productive year with our partnership.
- The Giant King Grass in Hawaii successfully completed its 12 month quarantine on December 20, 2013. VIASPACE is in discussions with potential Hawaiian partners. The Hawaii Department of Agriculture has allowed Giant King Grass to remain in their facility until our partnership status is finalized and the location has been determined.
- VIASPACE has been invited to make a presentation on the Nicaragua 12 MW Power Plant project at the International Biomass Conference to be held in Orlando Florida March 24-26, 2014.
- VIASPACE held a Board of Directors meeting on December 23, 2013."
Kukkonen concluded, "I believe that 2014 will be a very important and successful year for VIASPACE."
VIASPACE Chairman of the Board, Dr. Kevin Schewe, reported on recent business and technical activities, "At our December 23 Board of Directors meeting, the Board unanimously voted to increase the number of authorized shares by 20%. These are authorized shares and none of these shares have been issued. We have been very judicious with issuing limited additional shares; however, the number of issued shares was getting close to the number of authorized shares. The Board plans to minimize dilution consistent with operating the company, but needs the flexibility of additional authorized shares for continued growth, financing and partnerships."
Dr. Schewe continued, "Since October of 2012, when I became Chairman of the Board, I have loaned VIASPACE a total of $342,000 in the form of Senior Convertible Loans. As per our five-year, one million dollar loan agreement, I am able to convert these loans into common shares which I have immediately done after making the loans. I have made the immediate conversion with two motivations in mind. First, by converting to common shares, I have intentionally minimized additional debt on VIASPACE's books. Secondly, I personally believe that our share price is undervalued by the market and that my conversions to common shares will make a handsome return on investment in the future. I know of no better way to show and convey my confidence in the future of the Company."
Dr. Schewe concluded, "I now hold 152,500,472 VIASPACE common shares and have become the company's second largest common shareholder. As Chairman of the Board, I think and act on behalf of all common shareholders. I believe that 2014 will be a pivotal year for VIASPACE in both the green energy market and the animal feed market. We are a budding global company with aspirations to greatness and a terrific pipeline of projects to propel us in that direction, several of which are very close to reaching fruition. I am pushing our company, CEO and Board of Directors to make 2014 our breakout year for generating revenues with the goal to grow revenues year by year from here forward."
About VIASPACE Inc.
VIASPACE grows renewable Giant KingTM Grass as a low-carbon fuel for clean electricity generation; for environmentally friendly energy pellets; and as a feedstock for bio-methane production and for green cellulosic biofuels, biochemicals and biomaterials. Giant King Grass is a proprietary, high yield, dedicated biomass clean energy crop. Giant King Grass when it is cut frequently at 4 to 5 feet tall is also excellent animal feed. For more information, please go to www.VIASPACE.com or contact Dr. Jan Vandersande, Director of Communications, at 800-517-8050 or [email protected]
Safe Harbor Statement
Information in this news release includes forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements relate to future events or future performance and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Such factors include, without limitation, risks outlined in our periodic filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012, and other factors over which VIASPACE has little or no control.
SOURCE VIASPACE Inc.
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Feb. 22, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 1,109
Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016.Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere, IT is empowered to take control of their data ce...
Feb. 22, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 819
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Feb. 22, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 804
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the...
Feb. 22, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,639
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 22, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 621
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Feb. 22, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 275
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Feb. 22, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,897
To manage complex web services with lots of calls to the cloud, many businesses have invested in Application Performance Management (APM) and Network Performance Management (NPM) tools. Together APM and NPM tools are essential aids in improving a business's infrastructure required to support an effective web experience... but they are missing a critical component - Internet visibility.
Feb. 22, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 1,605
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Feb. 22, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 5,245
Both SaaS vendors and SaaS buyers are going “all-in” to hyperscale IaaS platforms such as AWS, which is disrupting the SaaS value proposition. Why should the enterprise SaaS consumer pay for the SaaS service if their data is resident in adjacent AWS S3 buckets? If both SaaS sellers and buyers are using the same cloud tools, automation and pay-per-transaction model offered by IaaS platforms, then why not host the “shrink-wrapped” software in the customers’ cloud? Further, serverless computing, cl...
Feb. 22, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 1,817
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 22, 2017 05:45 AM EST Reads: 1,680
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, explained the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is rele...
Feb. 22, 2017 03:15 AM EST Reads: 5,516
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Feb. 22, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,051
Hardware virtualization and cloud computing allowed us to increase resource utilization and increase our flexibility to respond to business demand. Docker Containers are the next quantum leap - Are they?! Databases always represented an additional set of challenges unique to running workloads requiring a maximum of I/O, network, CPU resources combined with data locality.
Feb. 22, 2017 02:45 AM EST Reads: 2,029
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 22, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 12,995