|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 07:00 AM EST||
WALNUT, Calif., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- VIASPACE Inc. (OTCQB: VSPC) CEO, Dr. Carl Kukkonen and Chairman of the Board, Dr. Kevin Schewe, today provided an update on recent company technical and business activities.
Dr. Kukkonen reported, "VIASPACE has been very busy since the last CEO update on November 4, 2012. I will give a summary of our recent business activities.
- I spent time in Nicaragua working on the 12 MW Giant King Grass power plant project with AGRICORP. I met with senior management, our agriculture team, government officials and local power plant and grid experts. The financial model is complete, as is the summary business plan. We have also decided to embark on a parallel animal feed project with AGRICORP as well. The Giant King Grass is growing well and the propagation field planted at the end of May is ready for harvest and further propagation which will focus on animal feed.
- Two potential customers from Costa Rica and Guatemala flew to Nicaragua to meet with me. Another potential customer from Panama also contacted me. All three have signed nondisclosure agreements.
- I met with development banks in Washington, DC and received strong support for the project. We expect to get 70% of the project financing from an international development bank.
- The Giant King Grass is growing very well in South Africa, and the project is moving toward the next stage.
- We traveled to Washington, DC with a new partner for a Giant King Grass project in Pakistan to meet with investors. The partner has signed a nondisclosure agreement and is proceeding with a contract. We expect to be able to make an announcement on this soon.
- VIASPACE Director, Mr. Khurram Irshad, a Pakistani American, has traveled to Pakistan twice and is working on another opportunity in Pakistan.
- A potential customer in the Caribbean has requested a test of Giant King Grass for a biofuels project. VIASPACE harvested 3,000 pounds of Giant King Grass from our California nursery, and the US biofuels company on the East Coast picked up the Giant King Grass on December 30, 2013. Test results should be available in 6 to 8 weeks.
- I went to the University of California Davis and met with their forage expert to review Giant King Grass as an animal feed and received significant recommendations. One suggestion was to double check the results of our forage analysis. VIASPACE has previously utilized near infrared analysis (NIR) from the Dairy One Forage Laboratory in Ithaca, New York. UC Davis recommended a comparison of the NIR data with a full wet chemistry analysis, and also recommended a second laboratory, Cumberland Valley Analytical Services, which tested the same sample using both NIR and wet chemistry. Using both laboratories and both methods produced the same results and confirmed that Giant King Grass is an excellent animal feed.
- Our VIASPACE partner in the Arizona animal feed project, Maricopa Bio Crops, came to California where we held technical and business meetings and met with a mechanical harvesting expert in the Central Valley. This project is moving forward efficiently to our mutual satisfaction and 2014 should prove to be a productive year with our partnership.
- The Giant King Grass in Hawaii successfully completed its 12 month quarantine on December 20, 2013. VIASPACE is in discussions with potential Hawaiian partners. The Hawaii Department of Agriculture has allowed Giant King Grass to remain in their facility until our partnership status is finalized and the location has been determined.
- VIASPACE has been invited to make a presentation on the Nicaragua 12 MW Power Plant project at the International Biomass Conference to be held in Orlando Florida March 24-26, 2014.
- VIASPACE held a Board of Directors meeting on December 23, 2013."
Kukkonen concluded, "I believe that 2014 will be a very important and successful year for VIASPACE."
VIASPACE Chairman of the Board, Dr. Kevin Schewe, reported on recent business and technical activities, "At our December 23 Board of Directors meeting, the Board unanimously voted to increase the number of authorized shares by 20%. These are authorized shares and none of these shares have been issued. We have been very judicious with issuing limited additional shares; however, the number of issued shares was getting close to the number of authorized shares. The Board plans to minimize dilution consistent with operating the company, but needs the flexibility of additional authorized shares for continued growth, financing and partnerships."
Dr. Schewe continued, "Since October of 2012, when I became Chairman of the Board, I have loaned VIASPACE a total of $342,000 in the form of Senior Convertible Loans. As per our five-year, one million dollar loan agreement, I am able to convert these loans into common shares which I have immediately done after making the loans. I have made the immediate conversion with two motivations in mind. First, by converting to common shares, I have intentionally minimized additional debt on VIASPACE's books. Secondly, I personally believe that our share price is undervalued by the market and that my conversions to common shares will make a handsome return on investment in the future. I know of no better way to show and convey my confidence in the future of the Company."
Dr. Schewe concluded, "I now hold 152,500,472 VIASPACE common shares and have become the company's second largest common shareholder. As Chairman of the Board, I think and act on behalf of all common shareholders. I believe that 2014 will be a pivotal year for VIASPACE in both the green energy market and the animal feed market. We are a budding global company with aspirations to greatness and a terrific pipeline of projects to propel us in that direction, several of which are very close to reaching fruition. I am pushing our company, CEO and Board of Directors to make 2014 our breakout year for generating revenues with the goal to grow revenues year by year from here forward."
About VIASPACE Inc.
VIASPACE grows renewable Giant KingTM Grass as a low-carbon fuel for clean electricity generation; for environmentally friendly energy pellets; and as a feedstock for bio-methane production and for green cellulosic biofuels, biochemicals and biomaterials. Giant King Grass is a proprietary, high yield, dedicated biomass clean energy crop. Giant King Grass when it is cut frequently at 4 to 5 feet tall is also excellent animal feed. For more information, please go to www.VIASPACE.com or contact Dr. Jan Vandersande, Director of Communications, at 800-517-8050 or [email protected]
Safe Harbor Statement
Information in this news release includes forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements relate to future events or future performance and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Such factors include, without limitation, risks outlined in our periodic filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012, and other factors over which VIASPACE has little or no control.
SOURCE VIASPACE Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 23, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,745
Did you know that you can develop for mainframes in Java? Or that the testing and deployment can be automated across mobile to mainframe? In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Vaughn Marshall, Sr. Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will discuss and demo how increasingly teams are developing with agile methodologies using modern development environments and automating testing and deployments, mobile to mainframe.
Apr. 23, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 734
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 23, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,623
As pervasive as cloud technology is -- and as persuasive as the arguments are for using it -- the cloud has its limits. Some companies will always have security concerns about storing data in the cloud and certain high-transaction applications will always be better suited for on-premises storage. Those statements were among the bottom-line takeaways delivered at Cloud Expo this week, a three day, bi-annual event focused on cloud technologies, adoption and associated challenges.
Apr. 23, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,610
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 23, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,767
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 23, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 417
Quickly find the root cause of complex database problems slowing down your applications. Up to 88% of all application performance issues are related to the database. DPA’s unique response time analysis shows you exactly what needs fixing - in four clicks or less. Optimize performance anywhere. Database Performance Analyzer monitors on-premises, on VMware®, and in the Cloud, including Amazon® AWS and Azure™ virtual machines.
Apr. 23, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,417
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 23, 2017 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,449
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 23, 2017 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,732
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 23, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,345
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 23, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,653
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,521
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 292
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 319
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,405