|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 03:45 PM EST||
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has awarded 21 new grants representing a total investment of $12.6 million to tackle six areas of high unmet medical need in the blood cancers.
In response to requests for proposals (RFPs) from researchers in these six critical areas, LLS has awarded these grants under its Translational Research Program (TRP), an initiative designed to help accelerate the movement of promising discoveries from the lab to the clinic. Each grant is for a three-year duration with a total value of $600,000.
The RFPs mark LLS's proactive approach to addressing the challenge of improving outcomes for cancer patients with particularly urgent needs. The focus of the TRP grants, and the grant recipients are as follows:
- New immunotherapeutics for patients with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML):
- David Avigan, M.D., Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Clinical trial evaluating DC/AML fusion vaccine with PD1 blockade
- Stephen Forman, M.D., Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope. Adoptive therapy for AML using CAR123-transduced T cells
- Dean Lee, M.D., Ph.D., University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Targeting NK cell immunotherapy against AML stem cells.
- Ulrich Steidl, M.D., Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. Targeting IL-1 receptor accessory protein in malignant stem cells in AML
- Chengcheng Zhang, Ph.D., UT Southwestern Medical Center. Blocking immune inhibitory receptor LAIR1 for AML treatment
- Novel therapeutics for patients with non-cutaneous T-cell malignancies:
- Thomas Loughran, M.D., The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. Targeting JAK/STAT and NF-kB pathways in large granular lymphocytic leukemia
- David Wiest, Ph.D., Fox Chase Cancer Center, Role of ER stress responses in pathogenesis and treatment of T-cell acute lymphocytic leukemia
- Javeed Iqbal, Ph.D., Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Somatic mutations and epimutations in peripheral T-cell lymphoma
- Introduction of novel agents in the treatment of patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphom(DLBCL) and mantle cell lymphoma(MCL):
- Robert Baiocchi, M.D., Ph.D., The Ohio State University Research Foundation. Targeting PRMT5 expression in DLBCL and MCL
- Leandro Cerchietti, M.D., Joan & Sanford I. Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. EIF4E targeted therapy in lymphomas
- Ari Melnick, M.D., Joan & Sanford I. Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. Rational translational of EZH2 targeted therapy
- Alessandra Pernis, M.D., The Hospital for Special Surgery. Novel signaling pathways in DLBCL
- James Rubenstein, M.D., Ph.D., The Regents of the University of California, San Francisco. Molecular targets for high-risk primary CNS lymphoma
- John Timmerman, M.D., The Regents of the University of California, Los Angeles. PD-1/PD-L1 blockade plus kinase inhibitor therapies for B cell lymphomas
- Therapies for patients with myelodysplastic syndromes(MDS) who have failed hypomethylating agents:
- Maria Figueroa, M.D., University of Michigan Health System, Epigenetic markers of sensitivity and resistance to hypomethylating agents
- Maria Figueroa, M.D., University of Michigan Health System, Epigenetic markers of sensitivity and resistance to hypomethylating agents
- Therapies for new targets such as bromodomains, methylation and other epigenetic approaches for patients with high-risk myeloma:
- Xiu-Bao Chang, Ph.D., Mayo Clinic Arizona. Immunomodulatory drugs target cereblon and its downstream substrates
- Constantine Mitsiades, M.D., Ph.D., Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Individualizing myeloma treatment with BET bromodomain inhibitors
- Research that addresses long-term and late effects of blood cancer therapies:
- Mukta Arora, M.D., Regents of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Biomarkers of frailty and its impact on geriatric HSCT outcomes
- Seth Corey, M.D., Northwestern University – Chicago campus. Development of an oral anti-fibrotic drug for patients with myelofibrosis
- Patricia Gallagher, Ph.D., Wake Forest University Health Sciences. Prevention of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxic late effects by Ang-(1-7)
- Matthew Matasar, M.D., Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Tissue and functional assessment of myocardial injury in HL survivors
LLS also announced the awarding of an additional 20 TRP grants not related to the RFPs, totaling $11.4 million, to scientists working in other areas of blood cancer research.
"The translation of research discoveries in the laboratory to the patient's bedside for the treatment of blood cancer is a central part of the mission of LLS," said Lee Greenberger, Ph.D., LLS chief scientific officer. "By taking a strategic, proactive approach, LLS is directing grant funds with the intent to accelerate the advancement of breakthrough therapies and provide the best quality of life for our patients."
About The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society ® (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world, provides free information and support services, and is the voice for all blood cancer patients seeking access to quality, affordable, coordinated care.
Founded in 1949 and headquartered in White Plains, NY, LLS has chapters throughout the United States and Canada. To learn more, visit www.LLS.org. Patients should contact the Information Resource Center at (800) 955-4572, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
SOURCE The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 7, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 141
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 320
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 192
The principles behind DevOps are not new - for decades people have been automating system administration and decreasing the time to deploy apps and perform other management tasks. However, only recently did we see the tools and the will necessary to share the benefits and power of automation with a wider circle of people. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Sanders, Chief Technology Officer at CloudBolt Software, explored the latest tools including Puppet, Chef, Docker, and CMPs needed to...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 266
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 375
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 144
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 562
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 365
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 190
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 160
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 334
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 347
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 7, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 130