|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 03:45 PM EST||
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has awarded 21 new grants representing a total investment of $12.6 million to tackle six areas of high unmet medical need in the blood cancers.
In response to requests for proposals (RFPs) from researchers in these six critical areas, LLS has awarded these grants under its Translational Research Program (TRP), an initiative designed to help accelerate the movement of promising discoveries from the lab to the clinic. Each grant is for a three-year duration with a total value of $600,000.
The RFPs mark LLS's proactive approach to addressing the challenge of improving outcomes for cancer patients with particularly urgent needs. The focus of the TRP grants, and the grant recipients are as follows:
- New immunotherapeutics for patients with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML):
- David Avigan, M.D., Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Clinical trial evaluating DC/AML fusion vaccine with PD1 blockade
- Stephen Forman, M.D., Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope. Adoptive therapy for AML using CAR123-transduced T cells
- Dean Lee, M.D., Ph.D., University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Targeting NK cell immunotherapy against AML stem cells.
- Ulrich Steidl, M.D., Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. Targeting IL-1 receptor accessory protein in malignant stem cells in AML
- Chengcheng Zhang, Ph.D., UT Southwestern Medical Center. Blocking immune inhibitory receptor LAIR1 for AML treatment
- Novel therapeutics for patients with non-cutaneous T-cell malignancies:
- Thomas Loughran, M.D., The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. Targeting JAK/STAT and NF-kB pathways in large granular lymphocytic leukemia
- David Wiest, Ph.D., Fox Chase Cancer Center, Role of ER stress responses in pathogenesis and treatment of T-cell acute lymphocytic leukemia
- Javeed Iqbal, Ph.D., Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Somatic mutations and epimutations in peripheral T-cell lymphoma
- Introduction of novel agents in the treatment of patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphom(DLBCL) and mantle cell lymphoma(MCL):
- Robert Baiocchi, M.D., Ph.D., The Ohio State University Research Foundation. Targeting PRMT5 expression in DLBCL and MCL
- Leandro Cerchietti, M.D., Joan & Sanford I. Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. EIF4E targeted therapy in lymphomas
- Ari Melnick, M.D., Joan & Sanford I. Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. Rational translational of EZH2 targeted therapy
- Alessandra Pernis, M.D., The Hospital for Special Surgery. Novel signaling pathways in DLBCL
- James Rubenstein, M.D., Ph.D., The Regents of the University of California, San Francisco. Molecular targets for high-risk primary CNS lymphoma
- John Timmerman, M.D., The Regents of the University of California, Los Angeles. PD-1/PD-L1 blockade plus kinase inhibitor therapies for B cell lymphomas
- Therapies for patients with myelodysplastic syndromes(MDS) who have failed hypomethylating agents:
- Maria Figueroa, M.D., University of Michigan Health System, Epigenetic markers of sensitivity and resistance to hypomethylating agents
- Maria Figueroa, M.D., University of Michigan Health System, Epigenetic markers of sensitivity and resistance to hypomethylating agents
- Therapies for new targets such as bromodomains, methylation and other epigenetic approaches for patients with high-risk myeloma:
- Xiu-Bao Chang, Ph.D., Mayo Clinic Arizona. Immunomodulatory drugs target cereblon and its downstream substrates
- Constantine Mitsiades, M.D., Ph.D., Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Individualizing myeloma treatment with BET bromodomain inhibitors
- Research that addresses long-term and late effects of blood cancer therapies:
- Mukta Arora, M.D., Regents of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Biomarkers of frailty and its impact on geriatric HSCT outcomes
- Seth Corey, M.D., Northwestern University – Chicago campus. Development of an oral anti-fibrotic drug for patients with myelofibrosis
- Patricia Gallagher, Ph.D., Wake Forest University Health Sciences. Prevention of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxic late effects by Ang-(1-7)
- Matthew Matasar, M.D., Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Tissue and functional assessment of myocardial injury in HL survivors
LLS also announced the awarding of an additional 20 TRP grants not related to the RFPs, totaling $11.4 million, to scientists working in other areas of blood cancer research.
"The translation of research discoveries in the laboratory to the patient's bedside for the treatment of blood cancer is a central part of the mission of LLS," said Lee Greenberger, Ph.D., LLS chief scientific officer. "By taking a strategic, proactive approach, LLS is directing grant funds with the intent to accelerate the advancement of breakthrough therapies and provide the best quality of life for our patients."
About The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society ® (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world, provides free information and support services, and is the voice for all blood cancer patients seeking access to quality, affordable, coordinated care.
Founded in 1949 and headquartered in White Plains, NY, LLS has chapters throughout the United States and Canada. To learn more, visit www.LLS.org. Patients should contact the Information Resource Center at (800) 955-4572, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
SOURCE The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 205
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 168
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 261
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Aug. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 253
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 159
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 425
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 862
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 209
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 327
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 216
Everyone talks about continuous integration and continuous delivery but those are just two ends of the pipeline. In the middle of DevOps is continuous testing (CT), and many organizations are struggling to implement continuous testing effectively. After all, without continuous testing there is no delivery. And Lab-As-A-Service (LaaS) enhances the CT with dynamic on-demand self-serve test topologies. CT together with LAAS make a powerful combination that perfectly serves complex software developm...
Aug. 30, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 179
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes ab...
Aug. 30, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 603
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Aug. 30, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 432
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Aug. 30, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 335
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 30, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 155