|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 04:27 PM EST||
Maya Culture, Live Music and Lacrosse Highlight a Trend-Setting Year in the Mile High City
DENVER, Jan. 6, 2014 The Mile High City will host a dazzling array of international art shows, one-of-a-kind exhibits and premiere sporting events in 2014, including a worldwide exclusive showing of Cartier jewels, the largest exhibit of Maya artifacts in American history and the World Lacrosse Championships.
Here are ten exciting reasons to visit Denver in 2014.
- Stroll through an Outdoor Sculpture Garden. Chihuly at the Denver Botanic Gardens, (June 13-November 30) The works of Dale Chihuly, one of the world's most acclaimed sculptors, will take on new beauty when they are displayed in the lush setting of the Denver Botanic Gardens. Chihuly's elegant blown-glass sculptures – ranging in size from small water floats to large vertical installations – will add bold colors to the 24-acre gardens. Denver Botanic Gardens is recognized as one of the top botanic gardens in the western United States and is home to more than 30,000 plants displayed in 45 gardens.
- Make Diamonds Your New BFF. Brilliant: Cartier in the 20th Century (opening Nov. 16, 2014) This worldwide-exclusive exhibition at the Denver Art Museum will include an astonishing assortment of jewelry, timepieces and precious objects from the Cartier collection. Many of the pieces in the exhibition were owned by aristocrats, celebrities and royalty, including Princess Grace, Elizabeth Taylor, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, J.P. Morgan and the Aga Khan, among other luminaries.
- Walk in Ancient Worlds. Maya: Hidden Worlds Revealed, (February 14 – August 24) The largest exhibition about the ancient Maya ever to be displayed in the United States will be staged in the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. The exhibit includes never-before-seen artifacts, hands-on activities, and immersive walk-in environments, including re-creations of an underground cave and a colorful, life-size frieze that once surrounded the top of El Castillo pyramid at Xunantunich in Belize. Visitors will explore the rise and decline of ancient Maya cities, from their 365-day calendar and incredible architecture to experiencing day-to-day life in a Maya neighborhood.
- Cheer on Team USA! World Lacrosse Championship, (July 10-19) US Lacrosse is thrilled to bring the excitement of the Federation of International Lacrosse World Championships to Denver in 2014.This marks the first time the United States has hosted this world championship since 1998, and promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for lacrosse fans around the globe. Led by fourth-quarter dramatics from Ned Crotty, the United States edged Canada to win the 2010 FIL World Championship in Manchester, England, avenging a 2006 loss to Canada in the gold medal game. The 2014 championship is expected to be every bit as competitive, with a record total of more than 40 nations expected to participate. Great family entertainment is planned at an International Village at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
- Rock at the Red Rocks Summer Concert Series. Last year, Rolling Stone named Red Rocks as "the best outdoor amphitheatre in the U.S." In 2014, the 9,000-seat concert venue will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Beatles 1964 performance, the first time a rock group had performed at "the Rocks," and the only concert on the Beatles 1964 tour to not sell out, in part because of local outrage over the high priced, $6.60 tickets. How times have changed! In addition to a stellar lineup (to be announced) of summer concert performers, in 2014 the Colorado Music Hall of Fame is moving into the Red Rocks Trading Post, paying tribute to Centennial State favorites like John Denver (who wrote the official Colorado State Song, "Rocky Mountain High," and Denver native Judy Collins.
- Sleep in a Station. Denver's Union Station is undergoing a massive restoration and redevelopment that will transform it in July 2014 into a transportation, dining, shopping and entertainment hub, all centered around a new 112-room hotel. The Crawford Hotel (named after Larimer Square developer Dana Crawford) will have two bars in the grand old 1914 waiting room, and will incorporate many architectural features of the station in each room, including giant beams, windows overlooking the tracks, and vaulted ceilings. Four new Colorado restaurants are being added including a seafood restaurant owned by recent James Beard Award winner for the Best Chef Southwest, Jen Jasinski (owner of Rioja, Bistro Vendome and Euclid Hall) and Alex Siedel, Food & Wine's 2010 selection for Best New Chef and owner of the acclaimed Fruition restaurant. The restored station will also have two fast service restaurants and ten local one-of-a-kind boutiques. Two new parks will grace the front of the station, which will also serve daily Amtrak trains and Denver's 124 miles of light and commuter rail, including a new line to Denver International Airport that will open in 2016.
- Sip a Beer Exactly One Mile Above Sea Level. Coors Field, home to the Colorado Rockies, is being redeveloped to create the largest rooftop deck, bar and terrace in any sports stadium in America. Set to open in April 2014, the two-story area can hold up to 4,500 fans. Called The Rooftop, the new deck will offer the best views in the stadium, with a long terrace overlooking the ballpark, as well as downtown Denver and the majestic, snowcapped Rocky Mountains. The centerpiece of the Rooftop will be the 5280 Craft Bar. To celebrate the fact that the room is exactly 5,280 feet above sea level (one mile high!) the bar will be exactly 52 feet and 80 inches long and offer 52 craft beers on tap. Rollup glass garage doors can transform the area into open air space, where fans can enjoy all the sights and sounds of the ballpark. The CHUBurger Restaurant will offer a Colorado casual dining with a display kitchen open on all four sides so fans can watch their food being prepared and will feature craft burgers made with beef raised from the Hops & Heifers Farm in nearby Longmont, Colorado.
- Drive the Highest Continuous Highway in the World. The editors at National Geographic just selected Rocky Mountain National Park as one of the Top 20 Places to Visit in the World in 2014. Located just a little over an hour from Denver, this 100-year-old national park contains 400 square miles (1,036 sq km) of unspoiled scenic beauty, including Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuous highway in the world crossing the Continental Divide at over two miles above sea level. The park has hundreds of miles of hiking trails, tranquil lakes, waterfalls, wildlife and horseback riding. Stroll the level trail around Bear Lake, climb to scenic Alberta Falls, or for the really adventurous, cross the narrows and scale Longs Peak, one of Colorado's 54 fourteen thousand foot peaks. Find out what National Geographic thinks are Rocky Mountain National Park's high points.
- Jump into a Computer Game - Literally. Oh Heck Yeah, June 7-July 26 - Downtown Denver's Champa Street will be transformed into an immersive two-block long outdoor arcade game during this one-of-a-kind event. The interactive games will be played on huge LED screens, projections on the sides of buildings, and in custom art installations. Visitors can play the games on smart phones or by using their bodies. The games will be simple to learn and play, but might cover the entire side of a building. It will be like walking into Tron. Street art, street performers, music, and food trucks will make this an interactive 21st Century street fair.
- Ride 'em Cowgirl! Rodeo All Star Weekend, April 17-19 – Relive Denver's Old West heritage when the nation's top-ranked cowboys and cowgirls ride into town for the Rodeo All-Star Weekend at the National Western Complex. Steer wrestling, calf roping, and bull riding, are just some of the events, which also include live music and a fashion show. Speaking of fashion, don't forget to visit Rockmount Ranch Wear in downtown Denver to pick up some of their original snap button Western shirts, as recently worn by Sir Paul McCarthy on "Saturday Night Live."
Sign up for Denver's monthly visitor e-newsletter to learn more about what's happening in The Mile High City in 2014 at VISITDENVER.com. If you're looking for great hotel deals while you're visiting, go to visitdenver.com/hotels/specials to find low rates and packages all year round.
About VISIT DENVER, The Convention & Visitors Bureau
Celebrating more than 100 years of promoting The Mile High City, VISIT DENVER is a nonprofit trade association that contracts with the City of Denver to market Denver as a convention and leisure destination, increasing economic development in the city, creating jobs and generating taxes. Tourism is the second largest industry in Denver, generating $3.6 billion in annual spending in 2012, while supporting nearly 50,000 jobs. Learn more about Denver on the VISITDENVER website and at TOURISMPAYSDENVER, on Twitter @iknowdenver and the VISIT DENVER Facebook page, or by phone at 800 2 DENVER.
SOURCE VISIT DENVER, The Convention & Visitors Bureau
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 28, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,342
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,334
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,725
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,484
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth? In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,039
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi LTD., will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) will be featuring the Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) portfolio. This is the industry’s only offering that allows organizations to bring together object storage, file sync and share, cloud storage gateways, and sophisticated search an...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 683
While some vendors scramble to create and sell you a fancy solution for monitoring your spanking new Amazon Lambdas, hear how you can do it on the cheap using just built-in Java APIs yourself. By exploiting a little-known fact that Lambdas aren’t exactly single threaded, you can effectively identify hot spots in your serverless code. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, David Martin, Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will give a live demonstration and code walkthrough, showing how to o...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 675
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,241
SYS-CON Events announced today that Progress, a global leader in application development, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enterprises today are rapidly adopting the cloud, while continuing to retain business-critical/sensitive data inside the firewall. This is creating two separate data silos – one inside the firewall and the other outside the firewall. Cloud ISVs oft...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 488
Quickly find the root cause of complex database problems slowing down your applications. Up to 88% of all application performance issues are related to the database. DPA’s unique response time analysis shows you exactly what needs fixing - in four clicks or less. Optimize performance anywhere. Database Performance Analyzer monitors on-premises, on VMware®, and in the Cloud, including Amazon® AWS and Azure™ virtual machines.
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,017
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 843
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 962
As DevOps methodologies expand their reach across the enterprise, organizations face the daunting challenge of adapting related cloud strategies to ensure optimal alignment, from managing complexity to ensuring proper governance. How can culture, automation, legacy apps and even budget be reexamined to enable this ongoing shift within the modern software factory?
Apr. 28, 2017 09:58 AM EDT Reads: 148
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 855
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 620