|By JCN Newswire||
|January 7, 2014 01:33 AM EST||
Sony is showcasing the latest developments in these 4K growth initiatives, outlined below, at the 2014 International CES, running from January 7-10 in Las Vegas.
Consumer 4K Products
New televisions, home theater projector and camcorder models have been added to Sony's growing 4K product lineup in order to enrich the world of 4K in the home. Sony is also increasing the ways in which users can enjoy 4K content, through measures such as increasing compatibility with new codecs as well as allowing users to easily output 4K images from their digital cameras.
Expansion of 4K BRAVIA TV lineup
- Introduction of three series comprising nine models ranging from 85 to 49 inches (2013 lineup: three series made up of five models, ranging from 84 to 55 inches). The latest models incorporate technologies such as Sony's 4K X-Reality PRO picture engine, which can upscale various content to beautiful 4K, wide color gamut TRILUMINOS Display, as well as Sony's new X-tended Dynamic Range PRO technology which provides deeper blacks, more detailed gradation and higher peaks. The combination of these technologies provides an overall image quality that goes beyond standard 4K resolution.
- 2014 4K BRAVIA TVs incorporate a decoder compatible with the latest H.265/HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) video compression format, enabling them to display 4K/60p content from internet streams and other sources, without the need for additional devices.
- 2014 4K BRAVIA TVs are also able to receive 4K/60p signals via HDMI 2.0, enabling them to easily display fast moving 4K/60p content such as sports. These TVs are also compatible with MHL 3.0 which supports 4K output from mobile devices.
Next generation 4K media player prototype
- New media player compatible with Sony's premium 4K distribution service "Video Unlimited 4K." Capable of playing back content at a maximum bit rate of 100 Mbps, it allows customers to enjoy high picture and sound with the stability that content downloads offer.
- In addition to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding), this new 4K media player incorporates a decoder compatible with the advanced HEVC compression format. This decoder is designed to provide customers with the ability to enjoy 4K/60p content and anticipated new 4K streaming services.
- Also includes a XAVC S decoder. This decoder will allow customers to save 4K video taken using "FDR-AX100" and "FDR-AX1" 4K Handycams on the 4K media player's internal HDD and replay these videos on a 4K TV.
Expansion of consumer 4K home theater projector lineup (previously announced)
- Two new models "VPL-VW500ES" and "VPL-VW1100ES" were added to Sony's 4K home theater projector lineup in fall 2013. Both of these models are able to receive 4K/60p input via HDMI 2.0.
- "VPL-VW500ES" delivers a significant size reduction (33% decrease in volume and a 30% decrease in weight compared to "VPL-VW1000ES") due to the reduced size and weight of the lens, redesigned optical component layout, and other measures. By making 4K projectors easier to place in the home, Sony aims to make them accessible to an even wider range of customers.
Addition of a compact "FDR-AX100" model to Sony's consumer 4K Handycam lineup
- Approximately one quarter the size of the current "FDR-AX1" model, the "FDR-AX100" features a 14.2 effective megapixel back-illuminated 1.0-type Exmor R CMOS sensor, and captures images with the realism, detail and depth that only 4K can deliver, all in a compact, handheld body.
- Records in the XAVC S format, enabling approximately 130 minutes of 4K video recording (when using a 64GB SDXC memory card Class 10)
- In addition to recording 4K footage, the FDR-AX100 is capable of down-converting 4K images to very high quality 2K (Full HD), using the enormous amounts of data in every 4K frame for spectacular results. It also allows the user to freely select and cut out part of a 4K image to be "trimmed" and then enjoyed on a Full HD 2K TV.
Displaying photos from digital still cameras (HDMI Cable/Wi-Fi)
- Sony cameras including the "alpha5000" announced at CES 2014 and the "RX10," "alpha7," and "alpha7R" launched in the fall of 2013 will be able to convert high resolution photo data into 4K (3840x2160) on the camera and display it on a 4K TV via HDMI cable.
- The photo data can also be transferred wirelessly to Wi-Fi compatible TV models.
The World of 4K Content
In order to truly enhance the 4K viewing experience in the home, expanding the variety of available 4K content, and the ways in which this content can be enjoyed, is also vital. As part of efforts to achieve this aim, Sony is engaged in various initiatives, some together with partners, such as the introduction of 4K video and photo image services, and also the support and adoption of new codecs. Furthermore, Sony will be providing technical support to enable FIFA to produce the 2014 FIFA World Cup final in 4K.
Expansion of Sony's 4K distribution service "Video Unlimited 4K"
- The service plays back content at a maximum bit rate of 100 Mbps and allows customers to enjoy premium 4K content such as Hollywood movies in high picture and sound quality with the stability that content downloads offer.
Collaboration with "Netflix"
- During Sony's press conference at CES 2014, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Netflix (HQ: U.S., California), Reed Hastings, described Netflix collaboration with Sony and expressed the company's intention to be among the first to deliver 4K UltraHD entertainment to consumers.
- Netflix plans to start providing 4K UltraHD content in the first half of 2014 in all territories where Netflix is available.
- 2014 4K BRAVIA TVs incorporate a decoder compatible with the latest "HEVC" video compression format, enabling them to display 4K/60p content from internet streams and other sources, without the need for additional devices. Additionally, Sony has optimized its BRAVIA TVs to provide a great Netflix experience with faster playback.
Collaboration with "YouTube"
- Sony is working with YouTube on future delivery of YouTube content in 4K resolution via VP9 format.
Expansion of "Blu-ray Disc Mastered in 4K" titles
- Sony has been providing content filmed or remastered in 4K resolution and stored on Full HD Blu-ray discs since 2013. Sony has continued to grow the number of titles and as of January 1, 2014, there are a total of 20 titles available. Sony intends to continue to enrich its catalog of movies remastered in 4K going forward.
Development and growth of Sony's "Playmemories Online" service
- Sony's "PlayMemories Online" cloud-based service for photos and videos which can be used to display 4K photo images on 4K BRAVIA TVs, continues to evolve. It allows users to view photo collections built up over the years and albums that have been shared by friends and family in a 4K slideshow format with background music right from the home screen, just like watching a TV program.
- The availability of the service, which started from 6 countries at launch in April 2012, will be expanded to 27 countries and regions starting in January, 2014.
Collaboration with the online photo community "500px"
- 2014 4K BRAVIA models will have access to the premier photo community "500px," enabling BRAVIA customers to access and enjoy high-quality 4K photos from around the world easily, through their TV.
Supporting 4K content production at the 2014 FIFA World Cup
- For industry and broadcast professionals, Sony also provides key products, systems and workflows from shooting to viewing with its comprehensive 4K live production solutions.
- Sony will be providing technical support to enable FIFA to produce the 2014 FIFA World Cup final in 4K.
Sony will continue its Group-wide collaboration and initiatives together with partners to expand the growing 4K ecosystem, and continue to advance and enrich the 4K viewing experience.
*All trade names are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective holders.
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $79 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/
Sony Corporation Corporate Communications T: +81-3-6748-2200 E: [email protected]
Copyright 2014 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.japancorp.net
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 27, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 974
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service.
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,935
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Mar. 27, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,126
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,956
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,133
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,882
Virtualization over the past years has become a key strategy for IT to acquire multi-tenancy, increase utilization, develop elasticity and improve security. And virtual machines (VMs) are quickly becoming a main vehicle for developing and deploying applications. The introduction of containers seems to be bringing another and perhaps overlapped solution for achieving the same above-mentioned benefits. Are a container and a virtual machine fundamentally the same or different? And how? Is one techn...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,948
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,819
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 27, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,027
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 27, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 827
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 27, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,327
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 26, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,043
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and micro services. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your contain...
Mar. 26, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,582
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 26, 2017 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 6,134
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Mar. 26, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 9,592