|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2014 10:37 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- What technologies and trends do IT experts have on their minds for 2014? Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider (www.us.logicalis.com), conducted its fifth annual "Top 10 Tech Trends to Watch" study to find out. The annual study monitors online conversations between CIOs, CTOs, IT staffers, industry analysts and reporters to determine the top technology trends and predictions for the coming year.
"There's no better way to develop solutions and services for our customers than to listen to what they are saying about the trends they are most interested in for the coming year," says Lisa Dreher, Vice President, Marketing, Logicalis US. "There has been a lot of buzz lately about the value of social media and how corporations can use social strategies to their advantage. Tapping into these conversations on LinkedIn, Twitter, blogs, forums, IT news sites and other social media channels is one of the best ways we have found to keep a finger on the pulse of what's most important to our customers and tailor our sales and marketing strategies accordingly."
10 Top Tech Trends to Watch in 2014
- Tech Decisions: Cloud computing and BYOD have significantly changed the role of technology within enterprise organizations over the past year. An increasing number of tech decisions are being made by sales, marketing and line-of-business managers, leaving CIOs and other IT professionals with concerns about maintaining control of corporate infrastructures, data and security as well as their own relevance within the organization.
- Big Data. Corporations have long realized the value of gathering and analyzing data to foresee trends and react quickly to changes within key customer sets; in the coming year, enterprise organizations will turn to "big data" solutions like SAP HANA as they rely even more heavily on collecting, storing, managing, filtering and deriving meaningful insights from the data they collect.
- Healthcare IT (HIT). The healthcare industry is at the precipice of a much needed IT transformation. In particular, significant investments will continue around the Affordable Care Act and the "meaningful use" mandates in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) for electronic health records and patient portals. In addition, telemedicine, e-prescribing, and healthcare analytics will all grow in importance as healthcare CIOs search for ways to engage patients, providers and payers in more efficient communications that result in better outcomes.
- The Internet of Things. Smart homes, smart cars, smart watches, smart TVs – the Internet of everything will proliferate the market in the coming year. Everything conceivable – from appliances to light bulbs – will be Internet-ready, and consumers will control their lives via mobile devices. This means BYOD will become significantly more important and more complex as anything and everything becomes a "device" for Internet connectivity.
- As-A-Service. With belt-tightening measures firmly in place, enterprise organizations that want to remain at the forefront of technology face a tremendous dilemma which can be summed up in a simple question: "Cap-ex or op-ex?" In the coming year, infrastructure restrictions will be less of a barrier to business growth as the enterprise C-suite embraces the "as-a-service" concept and understands that it's not the technology itself that transforms the business; it's the way the business accesses and uses that technology that is transformative.
- Trust, Security and Privacy. In order to enjoy more personalized experiences with technology, consumers will become more willing to provide and share identifying information. As a result, security will become a more significant focus for technology developers. Cloud-based applications and physical devices will take important steps in the coming year to protect consumers' identities and safeguard their personal information, lending a helping hand to technology professionals who already have their hands full working on internal security policies and disaster recovery/business continuity strategies.
- Mobility on the Move. As mobile applications replace traditional websites and software products, the combination of mobile and cloud will grow in significance. Mobile devices will become even more powerful and will be able to handle increasingly complex applications. The proliferation of the cloud allows for collaboration, personalization and mobile access to a large amount of data and a wide variety of products.
- Advanced Infrastructure. Tech departments will trend toward the new, branching into advanced products like 3D printing that can be used in a variety of applications and industries and hold the potential to change the way things are produced or manufactured. This means a renewed focus on how these new technologies will be managed and supported, something already weighing heavily on the minds of enterprise IT professionals.
- Hybrids. No surprises here: Hybrid clouds will emerge as the winners in private vs. public cloud debates.
- IaaS: As the "as-a-service" movement takes root, the infrastructure-as-a-service or platform-as-a-service market will grow tremendously, particularly among software developers who want to speed application development, QA and solution deployment.
Want to Learn More?
- A recent Logicalis study revealed that CIOs concerned about maintaining relevance are working to reduce day-to-day tasks through services-led transformations. Read more here: http://www.ict-log.us/rI4VZ.
Logicalis is an international IT solutions and managed services provider with a breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications and collaboration; data center and cloud services; and managed services.
Logicalis employs nearly 3,500 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, specify, deploy and manage complex ICT infrastructures to meet the needs of almost 6,000 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM, CA Technologies, EMC, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of over $1.4 billion from operations in Europe, North America, South America and Asia Pacific and is fast establishing itself as one of the leading IT and Communications solution integrators specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of over $5 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
SOURCE Logicalis US
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 23, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 985
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 23, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,906
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Jul. 23, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 799
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jul. 23, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 635
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 23, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,425
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Jul. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,221
When building large, cloud-based applications that operate at a high scale, it’s important to maintain a high availability and resilience to failures. In order to do that, you must be tolerant of failures, even in light of failures in other areas of your application. “Fly two mistakes high” is an old adage in the radio control airplane hobby. It means, fly high enough so that if you make a mistake, you can continue flying with room to still make mistakes. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee...
Jul. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,214
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,382
Much of IT terminology is often misused and misapplied. Modernization and transformation are two such terms. They are often used interchangeably even though they mean different things and have very different connotations. Indeed, it is somewhat safe to assume that in IT any transformative effort is likely to also have a modernizing effect, and thus, we can see these as levels of improvement efforts. However, many businesses are being led to believe if they don’t transform now they risk becoming ...
Jul. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,030
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 23, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 944
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 23, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,039
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 23, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,006
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,768
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 23, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,831
"Avere Systems is a hybrid cloud solution provider. We have customers that want to use cloud storage and we have customers that want to take advantage of cloud compute," explained Rebecca Thompson, VP of Marketing at Avere Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,876