|By Business Wire||
|January 7, 2014 02:40 PM EST||
The 2014 International CES® opens today as a record breaking show with more than 3,200 exhibitors across the largest show floor in history – more than two million net square feet of exhibit space – breaking last year’s previously set record of 1.92 million net square feet. Innovation and the promise and power of technology drove this year’s preshow press events that kicked off with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS on Sunday night with 99 tabletop displays where exhibitors provided a sneak preview of their show floor product launches. Twenty five exhibitors then revealed new products during CES Press Day on Monday. Owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, the 2014 International CES opens today and runs through Friday, January 10.
“CES is the world’s gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies and features the largest showcase of innovation on the planet,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. “We couldn’t be more excited to open today’s record breaking show and see the magic, wonder and energy of consumer technology come to life as leaders from a broad array of industries come together to survey and transact.”
New Intel CEO Brian Krzanich delivered a Tech Titans keynote address Monday evening to highlight innovation at the ingredient level. Krzanich explored how connected devices create immersive experiences that change the way we live, work and play. Over the course of his keynote, Krzanich demonstrated a half-dozen products that seamlessly connect devices and people to create “technology experiences,” all of which will be available in 2014. New products include:
- Smart earbuds that when paired with an app on your smartphone monitor pace, location and even heart rate, using sensors built into the earbuds themselves.
- “Jarvis,” a hands-free headset that interacts with a smartphone.
- A new smart watch that unlike others in the category requires no tethering devices, has its own connectivity and includes smart geo fencing, to track a wearer’s location.
Wearables are a key component of Intel’s vision of the connected future. Throughout his address, Krzanich announced several partnerships with creative industries like fashion, animation and gaming. Together with Barneys, Opening Ceremony and the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Intel is working to promote wearable devices in fashion. Krzanich also announced that its latest chip, Edison, part of its Quark family of SoCs, will feature “a full Pentium class PC in the form factor of an SD card.” This ultra-low power, 22nm Dual Core SoC can be used to power wearable devices. “We’re creating a network of devices, all smart, all coming together, all powered by Edison,” he said.
Rupert Stadler, chairman of the board of management of AUDI AG, delivered a second Tech Titans keynote address Monday night to discuss the future of innovation in the automotive industry and its direct impact on the consumer technology market. Stadler envisions a future where cars drive themselves and where roads might one day guide vehicles. Helping to build that future is its partnership with Nvidia and its Tegra K1 as the processor of choice and AT&T to introduce in-car LTE in the U.S.
Audi introduced its highly anticipated Sport Quattro LaserlightV8 hybrid concept car. The vehicle can go 90 miles on a single gallon of gas and will be available in piloted driving mode. With laser headlights three times stronger than LEDs, it can light the road for nearly a third of a mile. Stadler emphasized the synchronization of Audi and the electronics industry debuting, “the full spectrum of what it means to be a leader in innovation.”
Pre CES media events kicked off Sunday night with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS: The Official Press Event of CES. Ninety-nine exhibitor tabletops drew one of the largest media crowds in Unveiled history with companies such as 3M Touch Systems, Arrayent, Inc., Bell'O International, Chevrolet, DISH, Escort, Fitbug, Holi, Lenovo, LG, Liquid Image, Molami, Off-Grid Solutions, Orbotix, Parrot, Pure, Samsung, Sculpteo, Soundfreaq, Tobii Technology, Velodyne, Xdroid Inc. and Yurbuds.
Product announcements continued on Monday, January 6 with 2014 CES Press Day, featuring 25 exhibitor press conferences. Major product announcements included:
- LG – LG G Flex – curved OLED display with world’s first curved battery (6” HD display; Lifeband Touch fitness activity monitor with OLED display and Bluetooth connectivity; LG Homechat with voice-messaging/texting option to appliances.
- Monster – DNA WirelessPro Headphones – wireless, noise cancelling with controls built in; GODJ – Portable, standalone DJ device that fits in hand.
- Sharp – Aquos HD TV lineup including new Aquos Q+ with 10 million more sub pixels, built in upscaling, audio and Bluetooth streaming (first on market to play UHD content); Smart Central – App compiles all content into one search function.
- Huawei – Ascend Mate2 4G Smartphone– curved shape, 6.1 display, LTE Cat4 150mbps, Bluetooth 4.0, Quad core 1.6 Ghz processor, multi-screen tech, 4050mAh battery (two days performance), reverse charging to charge other devices, 6.1 enhanced HD (EHD), 5MP front camera and panoramic selfie.
- Tarsier – MoveEye – 3D glasses with stereo cameras that allow interaction with what’s on the screen, “direct interaction.”
- Livio Radio – SmartDeviceLink to standardize a way to bring apps into the dashboard of all vehicles.
- DISH – New additions to the Hopper lineup of whole-home DVR service, SuperJoey which when paired with the Hopper allows users to record up to eight shows at once and 2,000 hours of content; Wireless Joey streams content to any TV in the house.
- VOXX – Myris – Iris identifying authenticator for increased online security; 360Fly – 360 degree self-contained waterproof mountable camera; Soundboard power Plus – 5200mAH charging power plus wireless audio capabilities.
- Panasonic – Toughpad FZ-M1 7 inch rugged tablet; 4K Ultra HDTV the new “Life+Screen” AX800 series with voice activation and face recognition technology and advanced personalization; 4K Varicam – first waterproof 4K professional camera; Toughpad 4K tablet with 20-inch LCD display – first to offer 4K resolution.
- Intel – New brand RealSense – revolves around a thin, embedded 3D-sensing camera that can be embedded in desktops, laptops, tablets, etc. RealSense 3D cameras will scan objects for 3D printing.
- TouchJet Pte. – TouchJet – A precise touch enabled pico projector with a built-in Android OS that transforms any empty wall into an interactive 80 inch tablet.
- Hisense – VIDAA smart TV platform – Android powered, lets users seamlessly toggle between live TV, on demand entertainment, recorded programming, personal content, apps and more with a single touch of a button.
- Formula E – Revealed and demoed first electric racing car; Qualcomm will begin to integrate Snapdragon into the cars adding WiFi and Bluetooth.
- Samsung – 105” curved UHD TV – world’s first and largest curved UHD, has 11 million pixels with auto depth enhancer giving a 3D effect without glasses; Bendable TV – 85” push button Ultra HD turns from flat panel to curved; New PRO tablet series 12.2” with full size virtual keyboard.
- Toyota – North American debut of Toyota’s fuel cell sedan concept with 300 mile driving range, zero-to-sixty in 10 seconds, no emissions and hydrogen tank refueling in 3-5 minutes.
- MakerBot – Replicator 3D printer series including the Mini, Replicator and Z18 with 100 micron layer resolution, full color LCD displays, app and cloud enabling with onboard camera options for print monitoring and sharing.
- SKULPT – SKULPT device calculates body composition via electrodes sensing the difference between muscle and fat – provides exercise advice based on individual goals and progress.
- Sony – First in-home video download 4K service from Sony Pictures Entertainment; 4K Handicam; Life Log smart wear experience; Xperia Z1 compact smartphone with 20 megapixels.
Note to Editors: The official name of the global technology event is “International CES.” Subsequent references to the show can be shortened to “CES.” Please do not use “Consumer Electronics Show” to refer to the International CES.
The International CES is the world’s gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies. It has served as the proving ground for innovators and breakthrough technologies for more than 40 years—the global stage where next-generation innovations are introduced to the marketplace. As the largest hands-on event of its kind, CES features all aspects of the industry. And because it is owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the technology trade association representing the $208 billion U.S. consumer electronics industry, it attracts the world’s business leaders and pioneering thinkers to a forum where the industry’s most relevant issues are addressed. Follow CES online at www.CESweb.org and through social media: http://www.cesweb.org/social.
2014 International CES
January 7-10, 2014, Las Vegas, NV
CEA Winter Break
March 18-21, 2014, Vail, CO
Digital Patriots Dinner
April 29, 2014, Washington, DC
CES on the Hill
April 30, 2014, Washington, DC
2014 Technology & Standards Spring Forum
May 19-23, 2014, Seattle, WA
June 23-27, 2014, New York, NY
CE Week Exhibits
June 25-26, 2014, New York, NY
- CE Week Exhibits
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Feb. 24, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,799
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 24, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 13,179
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, Sandy Ca...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 9,518
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and micro services. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your contain...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 3,762
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 24, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 5,720
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,886
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,525
IoT is at the core or many Digital Transformation initiatives with the goal of re-inventing a company's business model. We all agree that collecting relevant IoT data will result in massive amounts of data needing to be stored. However, with the rapid development of IoT devices and ongoing business model transformation, we are not able to predict the volume and growth of IoT data. And with the lack of IoT history, traditional methods of IT and infrastructure planning based on the past do not app...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 1,884
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Feb. 24, 2017 12:45 AM EST Reads: 962
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Feb. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EST Reads: 6,288
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Feb. 23, 2017 11:00 PM EST Reads: 7,008
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Feb. 23, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 4,597
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 23, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,516
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 23, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,290
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 23, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,449