|By Business Wire||
|January 7, 2014 04:35 PM EST||
Insert at end of subheadline: eve.
The corrected release reads:
2014 International CES Kicks off with Record Amount of Innovation
More than 3,200 exhibitors debut life-changing tech across more than 2 million net square feet; Tech Titans from Intel and Audi deliver keynotes on CES eve
The 2014 International CES® opens today as a record breaking show with more than 3,200 exhibitors across the largest show floor in history – more than two million net square feet of exhibit space – breaking last year’s previously set record of 1.92 million net square feet. Innovation and the promise and power of technology drove this year’s preshow press events that kicked off with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS on Sunday night with 99 tabletop displays where exhibitors provided a sneak preview of their show floor product launches. Twenty five exhibitors then revealed new products during CES Press Day on Monday. Owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, the 2014 International CES opens today and runs through Friday, January 10.
“CES is the world’s gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies and features the largest showcase of innovation on the planet,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. “We couldn’t be more excited to open today’s record breaking show and see the magic, wonder and energy of consumer technology come to life as leaders from a broad array of industries come together to survey and transact.”
New Intel CEO Brian Krzanich delivered a Tech Titans keynote address Monday evening to highlight innovation at the ingredient level. Krzanich explored how connected devices create immersive experiences that change the way we live, work and play. Over the course of his keynote, Krzanich demonstrated a half-dozen products that seamlessly connect devices and people to create “technology experiences,” all of which will be available in 2014. New products include:
- Smart earbuds that when paired with an app on your smartphone monitor pace, location and even heart rate, using sensors built into the earbuds themselves.
- “Jarvis,” a hands-free headset that interacts with a smartphone.
- A new smart watch that unlike others in the category requires no tethering devices, has its own connectivity and includes smart geo fencing, to track a wearer’s location.
Wearables are a key component of Intel’s vision of the connected future. Throughout his address, Krzanich announced several partnerships with creative industries like fashion, animation and gaming. Together with Barneys, Opening Ceremony and the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Intel is working to promote wearable devices in fashion. Krzanich also announced that its latest chip, Edison, part of its Quark family of SoCs, will feature “a full Pentium class PC in the form factor of an SD card.” This ultra-low power, 22nm Dual Core SoC can be used to power wearable devices. “We’re creating a network of devices, all smart, all coming together, all powered by Edison,” he said.
Rupert Stadler, chairman of the board of management of AUDI AG, delivered a second Tech Titans keynote address Monday night to discuss the future of innovation in the automotive industry and its direct impact on the consumer technology market. Stadler envisions a future where cars drive themselves and where roads might one day guide vehicles. Helping to build that future is its partnership with Nvidia and its Tegra K1 as the processor of choice and AT&T to introduce in-car LTE in the U.S.
Audi introduced its highly anticipated Sport Quattro LaserlightV8 hybrid concept car. The vehicle can go 90 miles on a single gallon of gas and will be available in piloted driving mode. With laser headlights three times stronger than LEDs, it can light the road for nearly a third of a mile. Stadler emphasized the synchronization of Audi and the electronics industry debuting, “the full spectrum of what it means to be a leader in innovation.”
Pre CES media events kicked off Sunday night with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS: The Official Press Event of CES. Ninety-nine exhibitor tabletops drew one of the largest media crowds in Unveiled history with companies such as 3M Touch Systems, Arrayent, Inc., Bell'O International, Chevrolet, DISH, Escort, Fitbug, Holi, Lenovo, LG, Liquid Image, Molami, Off-Grid Solutions, Orbotix, Parrot, Pure, Samsung, Sculpteo, Soundfreaq, Tobii Technology, Velodyne, Xdroid Inc. and Yurbuds.
Product announcements continued on Monday, January 6 with 2014 CES Press Day, featuring 25 exhibitor press conferences. Major product announcements included:
- LG – LG G Flex – curved OLED display with world’s first curved battery (6” HD display; Lifeband Touch fitness activity monitor with OLED display and Bluetooth connectivity; LG Homechat with voice-messaging/texting option to appliances.
- Monster – DNA WirelessPro Headphones – wireless, noise cancelling with controls built in; GODJ – Portable, standalone DJ device that fits in hand.
- Sharp – Aquos HD TV lineup including new Aquos Q+ with 10 million more sub pixels, built in upscaling, audio and Bluetooth streaming (first on market to play UHD content); Smart Central – App compiles all content into one search function.
- Huawei – Ascend Mate2 4G Smartphone– curved shape, 6.1 display, LTE Cat4 150mbps, Bluetooth 4.0, Quad core 1.6 Ghz processor, multi-screen tech, 4050mAh battery (two days performance), reverse charging to charge other devices, 6.1 enhanced HD (EHD), 5MP front camera and panoramic selfie.
- Tarsier – MoveEye – 3D glasses with stereo cameras that allow interaction with what’s on the screen, “direct interaction.”
- Livio Radio – SmartDeviceLink to standardize a way to bring apps into the dashboard of all vehicles.
- DISH – New additions to the Hopper lineup of whole-home DVR service, SuperJoey which when paired with the Hopper allows users to record up to eight shows at once and 2,000 hours of content; Wireless Joey streams content to any TV in the house.
- VOXX – Myris – Iris identifying authenticator for increased online security; 360Fly – 360 degree self-contained waterproof mountable camera; Soundboard power Plus – 5200mAH charging power plus wireless audio capabilities.
- Panasonic – Toughpad FZ-M1 7 inch rugged tablet; 4K Ultra HDTV the new “Life+Screen” AX800 series with voice activation and face recognition technology and advanced personalization; 4K Varicam – first waterproof 4K professional camera; Toughpad 4K tablet with 20-inch LCD display – first to offer 4K resolution.
- Intel – New brand RealSense – revolves around a thin, embedded 3D-sensing camera that can be embedded in desktops, laptops, tablets, etc. RealSense 3D cameras will scan objects for 3D printing.
- TouchJet Pte. – TouchJet – A precise touch enabled pico projector with a built-in Android OS that transforms any empty wall into an interactive 80 inch tablet.
- Hisense – VIDAA smart TV platform – Android powered, lets users seamlessly toggle between live TV, on demand entertainment, recorded programming, personal content, apps and more with a single touch of a button.
- Formula E – Revealed and demoed first electric racing car; Qualcomm will begin to integrate Snapdragon into the cars adding WiFi and Bluetooth.
- Samsung – 105” curved UHD TV – world’s first and largest curved UHD, has 11 million pixels with auto depth enhancer giving a 3D effect without glasses; Bendable TV – 85” push button Ultra HD turns from flat panel to curved; New PRO tablet series 12.2” with full size virtual keyboard.
- Toyota – North American debut of Toyota’s fuel cell sedan concept with 300 mile driving range, zero-to-sixty in 10 seconds, no emissions and hydrogen tank refueling in 3-5 minutes.
- MakerBot – Replicator 3D printer series including the Mini, Replicator and Z18 with 100 micron layer resolution, full color LCD displays, app and cloud enabling with onboard camera options for print monitoring and sharing.
- SKULPT – SKULPT device calculates body composition via electrodes sensing the difference between muscle and fat – provides exercise advice based on individual goals and progress.
- Sony – First in-home video download 4K service from Sony Pictures Entertainment; 4K Handicam; Life Log smart wear experience; Xperia Z1 compact smartphone with 20 megapixels.
Note to Editors: The official name of the global technology event is “International CES.” Subsequent references to the show can be shortened to “CES.” Please do not use “Consumer Electronics Show” to refer to the International CES.
The International CES is the world’s gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies. It has served as the proving ground for innovators and breakthrough technologies for more than 40 years—the global stage where next-generation innovations are introduced to the marketplace. As the largest hands-on event of its kind, CES features all aspects of the industry. And because it is owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the technology trade association representing the $208 billion U.S. consumer electronics industry, it attracts the world’s business leaders and pioneering thinkers to a forum where the industry’s most relevant issues are addressed. Follow CES online at www.CESweb.org and through social media: http://www.cesweb.org/social.
2014 International CES
January 7-10, 2014, Las Vegas, NV
CEA Winter Break
March 18-21, 2014, Vail, CO
Digital Patriots Dinner
April 29, 2014, Washington, DC
CES on the Hill
April 30, 2014, Washington, DC
2014 Technology & Standards Spring Forum
May 19-23, 2014, Seattle, WA
June 23-27, 2014, New York, NY
CE Week Exhibits
June 25-26, 2014, New York, NY
- CE Week Exhibits
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, will give users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion w...
Feb. 11, 2016 12:20 PM EST
WebSocket is effectively a persistent and fat pipe that is compatible with a standard web infrastructure; a "TCP for the Web." If you think of WebSocket in this light, there are other more hugely interesting applications of WebSocket than just simply sending data to a browser. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Frank Greco, Director of Technology for Kaazing Corporation, will compare other modern web connectivity methods such as HTTP/2, HTTP Streaming, Server-Sent Events and new W3C event APIs ...
Feb. 11, 2016 12:00 PM EST
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 11, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 201
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:30 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 243
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 277
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:07 AM EST
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 242
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 413
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 118
The Art of DevOps provides a fun overview to help teams understand DevOps. Written in the style of the famous 6th century Chinese manuscript “The Art of War,” this eBook describes DevOps in the form of a mission to continuously deliver assets to the operational battlegrounds safely, securely, and quickly. It’s a fun read with valuable insights.
Feb. 11, 2016 10:33 AM EST
Recognizing the need to identify and validate information security professionals’ competency in securing cloud services, the two leading membership organizations focused on cloud and information security, the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and (ISC)^2, joined together to develop an international cloud security credential that reflects the most current and comprehensive best practices for securing and optimizing cloud computing environments.
Feb. 11, 2016 10:30 AM EST
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 11, 2016 10:15 AM EST
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 11, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 394
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:58 AM EST