|By Business Wire||
|January 7, 2014 04:35 PM EST||
Insert at end of subheadline: eve.
The corrected release reads:
2014 International CES Kicks off with Record Amount of Innovation
More than 3,200 exhibitors debut life-changing tech across more than 2 million net square feet; Tech Titans from Intel and Audi deliver keynotes on CES eve
The 2014 International CES® opens today as a record breaking show with more than 3,200 exhibitors across the largest show floor in history – more than two million net square feet of exhibit space – breaking last year’s previously set record of 1.92 million net square feet. Innovation and the promise and power of technology drove this year’s preshow press events that kicked off with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS on Sunday night with 99 tabletop displays where exhibitors provided a sneak preview of their show floor product launches. Twenty five exhibitors then revealed new products during CES Press Day on Monday. Owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, the 2014 International CES opens today and runs through Friday, January 10.
“CES is the world’s gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies and features the largest showcase of innovation on the planet,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. “We couldn’t be more excited to open today’s record breaking show and see the magic, wonder and energy of consumer technology come to life as leaders from a broad array of industries come together to survey and transact.”
New Intel CEO Brian Krzanich delivered a Tech Titans keynote address Monday evening to highlight innovation at the ingredient level. Krzanich explored how connected devices create immersive experiences that change the way we live, work and play. Over the course of his keynote, Krzanich demonstrated a half-dozen products that seamlessly connect devices and people to create “technology experiences,” all of which will be available in 2014. New products include:
- Smart earbuds that when paired with an app on your smartphone monitor pace, location and even heart rate, using sensors built into the earbuds themselves.
- “Jarvis,” a hands-free headset that interacts with a smartphone.
- A new smart watch that unlike others in the category requires no tethering devices, has its own connectivity and includes smart geo fencing, to track a wearer’s location.
Wearables are a key component of Intel’s vision of the connected future. Throughout his address, Krzanich announced several partnerships with creative industries like fashion, animation and gaming. Together with Barneys, Opening Ceremony and the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Intel is working to promote wearable devices in fashion. Krzanich also announced that its latest chip, Edison, part of its Quark family of SoCs, will feature “a full Pentium class PC in the form factor of an SD card.” This ultra-low power, 22nm Dual Core SoC can be used to power wearable devices. “We’re creating a network of devices, all smart, all coming together, all powered by Edison,” he said.
Rupert Stadler, chairman of the board of management of AUDI AG, delivered a second Tech Titans keynote address Monday night to discuss the future of innovation in the automotive industry and its direct impact on the consumer technology market. Stadler envisions a future where cars drive themselves and where roads might one day guide vehicles. Helping to build that future is its partnership with Nvidia and its Tegra K1 as the processor of choice and AT&T to introduce in-car LTE in the U.S.
Audi introduced its highly anticipated Sport Quattro LaserlightV8 hybrid concept car. The vehicle can go 90 miles on a single gallon of gas and will be available in piloted driving mode. With laser headlights three times stronger than LEDs, it can light the road for nearly a third of a mile. Stadler emphasized the synchronization of Audi and the electronics industry debuting, “the full spectrum of what it means to be a leader in innovation.”
Pre CES media events kicked off Sunday night with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS: The Official Press Event of CES. Ninety-nine exhibitor tabletops drew one of the largest media crowds in Unveiled history with companies such as 3M Touch Systems, Arrayent, Inc., Bell'O International, Chevrolet, DISH, Escort, Fitbug, Holi, Lenovo, LG, Liquid Image, Molami, Off-Grid Solutions, Orbotix, Parrot, Pure, Samsung, Sculpteo, Soundfreaq, Tobii Technology, Velodyne, Xdroid Inc. and Yurbuds.
Product announcements continued on Monday, January 6 with 2014 CES Press Day, featuring 25 exhibitor press conferences. Major product announcements included:
- LG – LG G Flex – curved OLED display with world’s first curved battery (6” HD display; Lifeband Touch fitness activity monitor with OLED display and Bluetooth connectivity; LG Homechat with voice-messaging/texting option to appliances.
- Monster – DNA WirelessPro Headphones – wireless, noise cancelling with controls built in; GODJ – Portable, standalone DJ device that fits in hand.
- Sharp – Aquos HD TV lineup including new Aquos Q+ with 10 million more sub pixels, built in upscaling, audio and Bluetooth streaming (first on market to play UHD content); Smart Central – App compiles all content into one search function.
- Huawei – Ascend Mate2 4G Smartphone– curved shape, 6.1 display, LTE Cat4 150mbps, Bluetooth 4.0, Quad core 1.6 Ghz processor, multi-screen tech, 4050mAh battery (two days performance), reverse charging to charge other devices, 6.1 enhanced HD (EHD), 5MP front camera and panoramic selfie.
- Tarsier – MoveEye – 3D glasses with stereo cameras that allow interaction with what’s on the screen, “direct interaction.”
- Livio Radio – SmartDeviceLink to standardize a way to bring apps into the dashboard of all vehicles.
- DISH – New additions to the Hopper lineup of whole-home DVR service, SuperJoey which when paired with the Hopper allows users to record up to eight shows at once and 2,000 hours of content; Wireless Joey streams content to any TV in the house.
- VOXX – Myris – Iris identifying authenticator for increased online security; 360Fly – 360 degree self-contained waterproof mountable camera; Soundboard power Plus – 5200mAH charging power plus wireless audio capabilities.
- Panasonic – Toughpad FZ-M1 7 inch rugged tablet; 4K Ultra HDTV the new “Life+Screen” AX800 series with voice activation and face recognition technology and advanced personalization; 4K Varicam – first waterproof 4K professional camera; Toughpad 4K tablet with 20-inch LCD display – first to offer 4K resolution.
- Intel – New brand RealSense – revolves around a thin, embedded 3D-sensing camera that can be embedded in desktops, laptops, tablets, etc. RealSense 3D cameras will scan objects for 3D printing.
- TouchJet Pte. – TouchJet – A precise touch enabled pico projector with a built-in Android OS that transforms any empty wall into an interactive 80 inch tablet.
- Hisense – VIDAA smart TV platform – Android powered, lets users seamlessly toggle between live TV, on demand entertainment, recorded programming, personal content, apps and more with a single touch of a button.
- Formula E – Revealed and demoed first electric racing car; Qualcomm will begin to integrate Snapdragon into the cars adding WiFi and Bluetooth.
- Samsung – 105” curved UHD TV – world’s first and largest curved UHD, has 11 million pixels with auto depth enhancer giving a 3D effect without glasses; Bendable TV – 85” push button Ultra HD turns from flat panel to curved; New PRO tablet series 12.2” with full size virtual keyboard.
- Toyota – North American debut of Toyota’s fuel cell sedan concept with 300 mile driving range, zero-to-sixty in 10 seconds, no emissions and hydrogen tank refueling in 3-5 minutes.
- MakerBot – Replicator 3D printer series including the Mini, Replicator and Z18 with 100 micron layer resolution, full color LCD displays, app and cloud enabling with onboard camera options for print monitoring and sharing.
- SKULPT – SKULPT device calculates body composition via electrodes sensing the difference between muscle and fat – provides exercise advice based on individual goals and progress.
- Sony – First in-home video download 4K service from Sony Pictures Entertainment; 4K Handicam; Life Log smart wear experience; Xperia Z1 compact smartphone with 20 megapixels.
Note to Editors: The official name of the global technology event is “International CES.” Subsequent references to the show can be shortened to “CES.” Please do not use “Consumer Electronics Show” to refer to the International CES.
The International CES is the world’s gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies. It has served as the proving ground for innovators and breakthrough technologies for more than 40 years—the global stage where next-generation innovations are introduced to the marketplace. As the largest hands-on event of its kind, CES features all aspects of the industry. And because it is owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the technology trade association representing the $208 billion U.S. consumer electronics industry, it attracts the world’s business leaders and pioneering thinkers to a forum where the industry’s most relevant issues are addressed. Follow CES online at www.CESweb.org and through social media: http://www.cesweb.org/social.
2014 International CES
January 7-10, 2014, Las Vegas, NV
CEA Winter Break
March 18-21, 2014, Vail, CO
Digital Patriots Dinner
April 29, 2014, Washington, DC
CES on the Hill
April 30, 2014, Washington, DC
2014 Technology & Standards Spring Forum
May 19-23, 2014, Seattle, WA
June 23-27, 2014, New York, NY
CE Week Exhibits
June 25-26, 2014, New York, NY
- CE Week Exhibits
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,796
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 11,428
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interface Masters Technologies, a leader in Network Visibility and Uptime Solutions, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Interface Masters Technologies is a leading vendor in the network monitoring and high speed networking markets. Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Interface Masters' expertise lies in Gigabit, 10 Gigabit and 40 Gigabit Eth...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,347
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and microservices. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your conta...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,515
We are reaching the end of the beginning with WebRTC, and real systems using this technology have begun to appear. One challenge that faces every WebRTC deployment (in some form or another) is identity management. For example, if you have an existing service – possibly built on a variety of different PaaS/SaaS offerings – and you want to add real-time communications you are faced with a challenge relating to user management, authentication, authorization, and validation. Service providers will w...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,369
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,994
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,085
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 25, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,702
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,008
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 949
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,738
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 962
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,124
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,306
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 25, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 918